"The expectation is to win every football game." Diaco | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"The expectation is to win every football game." Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So when Diaco talked about the first few games last season as if they were preseason games and rarely mentioned anything about winning, everyone complained. Now that he is actually saying he believes we can win every game, people are still complaining. Tough crowd...

Jury is still out on him, but give Diaco a break. It would not be the first time ever a coach "wasted" a season and then began turning things around quickly in year 2. That is what I am expecting.

Last season sucked on every level. There are no words that can make anything better until we kick off in September. Therefore, I still don't care what he says. We will be significantly better the first two weeks than we were the end of last year or we won't be. We will see.

Reaction Score
I'm not pissed off anymore at last season, not good to hang on to that kind of anger. I paid the money for my seats, the decision to toss the season was made, and we plowed through to a 2-10 record, and an empty stadium in December ending with a loss to previously winless SMU. The worst of last season to me - was the Cincinnati game 41-0. That was a game where the team should have really stayed on the bus. A bunch of 45-50 year olds with gimpy legs and some heart and collective teamwork would have competed better. Embarrassing. I haven't forgotten any of it, and that's why when I look at the schedule, and realize that we're still waiting to see what Diaco can do as the leader of a program that is actually trying to win games, that I cannot at all look past anything but the Villanova game, and I'm legitimately concerned about them, and it's not 1991 anymore.

Realizing that this is the state of the program right now, sucks, but it can turn around very fast, and every year, every football team is different.

Reaction Score
I'm with Bob.

If you're not entering every season expecting to 12-0 or 13-0 then what the hell are you suiting up for?

I'm sure a lot of you like myself played the game, did you ever enter a season thinking "If we can just get to 6-6 then I'd be happy?" Because at the end of the day, he's not saying this stuff for us, the media or anyone else for that matter. He's saying it for his guys and trying to get them to believe in themselves.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's going to be a long day for me. Diaco will say some ridiculous things and posters will get chubbies while completely forgetting about last year. Might be best for me to take the day off.
After last year I might have to take a little (national flag) blue pill before HCBD's preseason exuberance gives me a UCFB chubby.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because at the end of the day, he's not saying this stuff for us, the media or anyone else for that matter. He's saying it for his guys and trying to get them to believe in themselves.
Yup...

mattzampini1:27pm via Twitter for iPhone
Full quote from Andrew Adams about going undefeated this year #UConn
CJajMRNUYAAC2uK.jpg

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno is the master of this tactic; perhaps HCBD has been gleaning from the Legend...
lol, no.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see what Diaco can do with publicity and entertainment when it comes to having a winning football team. I'm hopeful that it happens, because it is sure to be a fantastic ride.

Until then, people like me, aren't the ones that media day is meant to pump up and generate interest. I don't need that to get fired up. It's a new season, and if a player or coach can't get their emotion level up to where it needs to be, then they're not in the right sport. I'm very excited to get back to the stadium and get in the college football season groove again. Fans of this program, that will be at the stadium in September, don't need mashmallow fluff. We wan't red meat.

Proper preparation prevents poor performance.

Nice Carl! A P5 comment!

Reaction Score
If Villanova is up 3 touchdowns at any point in the game.......

UConn +3 may be the best bet of the year. What exactly is it about this team you don't believe in?

Reaction Score
At the next presser I'm expecting him to say we're building a wall around the state, we're turning the corner, we're chopping wood....

For now let's just focus on being 1-0. IMO, fans can squawk all they want about undefeated seasons, looking ahead, etc..., but I'd prefer it if coaches and players just talk about the next game.

Reaction Score
UConn +3 may be the best bet of the year. What exactly is it about this team you don't believe in?
OL improvement by 50%
QB improvement by 50%
Offensive play calling improvement by 75%
Turnover improvement by 100% (need to be +, not -)
Special teams improvement by 25%
Defensive improvement by 25%
2 deep Injury decrease by 50%

You need all of those to happen to get close to 6 wins. The chances of all of these happening in year 2 is not high. If BD gets item 2 and item 4 done this year, a lot of people will be happy. If the 2 deep experiences the level of injuries as last year (or worse), a repeat of last season is also possible.

Reaction Score

I think the better question is what DO you believe in after watching this team the last 3 games last year?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You have to admire (and worry) about a guy who just does not give a f---.

If you're going to be bad, and we probably will be, you might as well be entertaining about it.

Reaction Score
I think the better question is what DO you believe in after watching this team the last 3 games last year?

Admit it - you spent a ton of time thinking about how you would respond to Nostical's question, before coming up with that. Didn't you.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Are you serious? I think you missed the context of my post.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

UConn was horrible last season and is bringing in a complete unknown at QB, while Nova is one of the best FCS teams?

Reaction Score
OL improvement by 50%
QB improvement by 50%
Offensive play calling improvement by 75%
Turnover improvement by 100% (need to be +, not -)
Special teams improvement by 25%
Defensive improvement by 25%
2 deep Injury decrease by 50%

You need all of those to happen to get close to 6 wins. The chances of all of these happening in year 2 is not high. If BD gets item 2 and item 4 done this year, a lot of people will be happy. If the 2 deep experiences the level of injuries as last year (or worse), a repeat of last season is also possible.

I agree with you. However we do return both kickers and most of the defense so making a significant him is realisitc . Plus everyone understands the defensive scheme a lot better

Reaction Score
Tim Fontenault ‏@Tim_Fontenault 16m16 minutes ago
Misheard Diaco on Thomas: "If Noel Thomas is not one of the most dominant wide receivers in the country that's on him." Misheard as "on me."

Diaco called it right on Byron Jones - June 2014 - He has demonstrated his ability to rate talent.

I think he will be one of the best players in the country,” Diaco said. “Everyone will see it eventually when they put him in those compression shorts (at combines). You will see a tall, long, lean and fast and explosive and athletic player. His numbers, with our developmental process, you are going to see at the end of the day one of the best tangibly gifted cornerback players in the country.
Then you factor in this incredible resume socially, academically, he’s an ‘A’ student and on all the committees. At that position, he has some intangible traits that are an incredible commodity.”

Now this guy is comparing him to Deon Sanders!

http://thelandryhat.com/2015/07/09/dallas-cowboys-byron-jones-next-deion-sanders/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A lot of you guys are legitimately insane. we started off last year after losing 9 offensive and defensive starters, 6 on the DL or OL and 2 players who got drafted....off a team who sucked.......what did you expect last year? That we would just say screw development let's try to go all out and win 4 games and not develop any young players. We need to show improvement this year and we will but we're still in a major overhaul which shouldn't suprise any of you if you have been paying attention the last 4 years. If we show 0 improvement then we can start Questioning things... And that doesn't mean not winning 6-7 games is a bad season. We're still a young team with a tough schedule so lighten up and give it time I don't know what you expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom