"The expectation is to win every football game." Diaco | Page 6 | The Boneyard

"The expectation is to win every football game." Diaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have no problem with a coach -any coach- setting the expectation that the team will win every time they step on the field. I also think that every coach should have the national championship as his goal. That is exactly the right goal. And I see a big difference between stating that as your team goal, versus what Greg Schiano did at Rutgers when he promised multiple national championships. There's a big difference between a goal and a promise.

Now, let's see the commitment to win by the head man. Playing the best players. Not going into a shell when they commit a TO. Let's see a confident aggressive game plan.

Also, Diaco's teams came out of the locker room and pooped the bed the moment they stepped on the filed. Their first series was often the worst of the game. Let's see him field a team that is ready to play from the opening KO.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Edsall took a team coming off a Div. 1AA playoff appearance and coached them to the lofty record of 4-7, bookended by loses of 56-17 and 62-20 to Hofstra and UMass, respectively.

Edsall improved by leaps and bounds in year 2 to 3-8 and 2-9 in 2001 :confused:. If memory serves, WR Keron Henry was the starting QB in '99 and part of '00.

Henry only played quarterback the first few games of 2001 as a true freshman.

Ryan Tracey was was supposed to be QB in 2001 and he quit on the eve of the season.

Reaction Score
Their first series was often the worst of the game. Let's see him field a team that is ready to play from the opening KO.

I agree with this. The enthusiasm of the team and the fans at kickoff was too often deflated by a turnover in the first few series--and we never regained our traction. But lots of Freshmen ball handlers and a porous O-Line caused those mishaps. I predict that the Verducci offense and the experience/growth and committed attitude of the players will turn that around this fall.

Reaction Score
Nostical said:
I agree with this. The enthusiasm of the team and the fans at kickoff was too often deflated by a turnover in the first few series--and we never regained our traction. But lots of Freshmen ball handlers and a porous O-Line caused those mishaps. I predict that the Verducci offense and the experience/growth and committed attitude of the players will turn that around this fall.

That begs the question, what is a Verducci offense? I'm not sure anyone has a clue. I'm hoping Bob has some unknown reason for thinking he's a legitimate OC.

The hype, bravado and overwhelming positivity of Diaco is contagious and people are catching the fever, but don't let yourself get carried away. Protect your heart. We've seen this before.

Reaction Score
Diaco, as I've said before reminds me of Schiano. I always felt Schiano was over rated big time and I hope to see UConn regularly competing for titles, not going wild for finishing 7-5 in 3rd place. Both have reps as top recruiters and for saying nutty things. Schianos early teams were very bad before he turned the corner. He could never settle on a quarterback either. He had 1 really good year and lots of mediocre ones. On the other hand he did take Rutgers from laughing stock to consistently average. Lots of people would take that for us at this point, I guess.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with a coach -any coach- setting the expectation that the team will win every time they step on the field. I also think that every coach should have the national championship as his goal. That is exactly the right goal. And I see a big difference between stating that as your team goal, versus what Greg Schiano did at Rutgers when he promised multiple national championships. There's a big difference between a goal and a promise.

Now, let's see the commitment to win by the head man. Playing the best players. Not going into a shell when they commit a TO. Let's see a confident aggressive game plan.

Also, Diaco's teams came out of the locker room and pooped the bed the moment they stepped on the filed. Their first series was often the worst of the game. Let's see him field a team that is ready to play from the opening KO.
Playing the best players meaning T. Boyle starting QB?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For me, we performed at the expected level and UCF below.

That's the truth. UCF just plain quit on a miserable weather day. But we were so bad we kept trying to give the game back to them!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I'll take coach speak and championships any day over crazy talk and 2-10. I hope I'm wrong but I think he crashes and burns, if not this year then next. A Villanova loss and I don't know that last year's record is even feasible.
Your posting history on both this and the men's hoops board has me convinced that you hope everything about UConn crashes and burns.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Diaco was right on this last year: "Byron Jones is one of the best in the nation"... Why wouldn't he be right this year on Noel and his Safeties?

Also we go 6-6, with upsets against UCF and ECU to go bowling this holiday season! #boldprediCTions

Reaction Score
I expected to beat Army and SMU at minimum and at least 1 of Tulane and USF. Honestly. That was a pretty low bar. Like asking the fat kid to clear a 6 inch hurdle.
You didn't like how the coach got the fat kid around the track. Does the possibility exist that you may have underestimated or or not appreciate how truly out of shape the kid was last year? Who on O and Specials did you trust to jump over that 6 in hurdle last year?

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
#boldprediCTions

15-0 National Championship won over Alabama. No way this team isn't going undefeated.
If there was a way to like the fact that Dan liked this, I would. But there isn't, so I guess I'll just like your post.

Reaction Score
Diaco just snapped Jim Calhoun not a dime back style (not quite the level of Ryan Gomes style) in regards to questioning his expectation of winning every game. It was fun/weird/made you feel like you were watching a really awkward moment on The Office. I'm rewatching it to pull out the text and I'll update this in a second

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Diaco just snapped Jim Calhoun not a dime back style (not quite the level of Ryan Gomes style) in regards to questioning his expectation of winning every game. It was fun/weird/made you feel like you were watching a really awkward moment on The Office. I'm rewatching it to pull out the text and I'll update this in a second
Can't wait to see this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc