South Carolina vs Ohio State [game thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

South Carolina vs Ohio State [game thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I agree with you. Their bigs are slow, most of the players seem to be very tired in the fourth quarter, and OSU seems to have no order to their offense. If UCONN does not beat OSU Monday, I'll know they have a lot on which to improve, imo; and UCONN may not win. But they will adjust just as they did after last year's loss to Stanford.

UConn adjusted by putting Nurse and Tuck in the starting lineup. They won't have those kinds of options this year. Better hope they play well.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Who will be assigned to Kelsey? Mo or Kia?

Guessing Jefferson, Nurse, and Williams will all play 35 minutes or so and all see time against Alston and Mitchell.

Reaction Score
UConn adjusted by putting Nurse and Tuck in the starting lineup. They won't have those kinds of options this year. Better hope they play well.
Well... we still have Nurse and Tuck.

Put Gabby on Mitchell. UCONN 85-62

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Just home from the game; Kelsey Mitchell is outstanding; I thought Dawn made a big mistake in subbing for the starters in the last 5 minutes of the first quarter. I would have stuck the dagger in during the first quarter. Putting all subs in there for so long allowed OSU to gain confidence. Good crowd, but not a sellout. My guess is about 16,000 or so.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just home from the game; Kelsey Mitchell is outstanding; I thought Dawn made a big mistake in subbing for the starters in the last 5 minutes of the first quarter. I would have stuck the dagger in during the first quarter. Putting all subs in there for so long allowed OSU to gain confidence. Good crowd, but not a sellout. My guess is about 16,000 or so.

16,815 according to the box score

Reaction Score
Do either of these teams know how to spell the word "DEFENSE". This was like an NBA All Star game - run and chuck.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Do either of these teams know how to spell the word "DEFENSE". This was like an NBA All Star game - run and chuck.

Yet you watched the entire game probably. Geez, early season game between top 10 opponents and people can't just enjoy. Just HAVE to find something to complain about. Would you rather watch a top 25 team scrimmage against an NAIA school for WCBB opening night? Apparently..

It wasn't a perfect game, but who's perfect in November?

Reaction Score
Yet you watched the entire game. Geez, early season game between top 10 opponents and people can't just enjoy. Just HAVE to find something to complain about.

USC. They're 1-0

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
As for the actual game... man oh man is Kelsey Mitchell phenomenal. I've never really watched her play until tonight but holy cow she's a PLAYER.. Definitely an All-American on the offensive end. tOSU's backcourt is really impressive and they will be quite tough in mid season form. McGuff is doing great things in Columbus..

As for South Carolina, great measuring stick for them.. wasn't a perfect game by any standard but I do like the more uptempo offense. Sessions solidified her spot at point and was very effective on the floor tonight, maybe she didn't score in vast quantities but she did a great job managing the tempo, pushing the pace, attacking and being a floor general.

I think our size is going to cause a lot of trouble for some teams this year. Because we are big, opposing teams are going to feel the need to be very physical with us for 40 minutes. Some teams can play physical with SC for 40 minutes, but most can't. I saw Ohio State rack up unnecessary fouls on SC players just because they didn't know what to do with our size. Our depth was huge tonight as well. I wasn't a fan of Dawn taking out the starters so early.. but they had PLENTY of rest during the game. Overall, the rotation worked well against a team like Ohio State. In the 4th quarter, Ohio State just looked gassed while our girls were still sprinting up the court.

I'm really looking forward to Moriah Jefferson vs. Kelsey Mitchell on Monday. That is going to be a fantastic matchup. There isn't a guard on SC's (available) roster that can shoot the ball like Mitchell. She's an amazing player.. I'm interested to see how UCONN plans on taking her out of the game.

At the end of the day, I'd rather not play Ohio State again. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
South Carolina proved me wrong. Aja Wilson, I will be watching. 20 and 14 isnt bad.

Reaction Score
As for the actual game... man oh man is Kelsey Mitchell phenomenal. I've never really watched her play until tonight but holy cow she's a PLAYER.. Definitely an All-American on the offensive end. tOSU's backcourt is really impressive and they will be quite tough in mid season form. McGuff is doing great things in Columbus..

As for South Carolina, great measuring stick for them.. wasn't a perfect game by any standard but I do like the more uptempo offense. Sessions solidified her spot at point and was very effective on the floor tonight, maybe she didn't score in vast quantities but she did a great job managing the tempo, pushing the pace, attacking and being a floor general.

I think our size is going to cause a lot of trouble for some teams this year. Because we are big, opposing teams are going to feel the need to be very physical with us for 40 minutes. Some teams can play physical with SC for 40 minutes, but most can't. I saw Ohio State rack up unnecessary fouls on SC players just because they didn't know what to do with our size. Our depth was huge tonight as well. I wasn't a fan of Dawn taking out the starters so early.. but they had PLENTY of rest during the game. Overall, the rotation worked well against a team like Ohio State. In the 4th quarter, Ohio State just looked gassed while our girls were still sprinting up the court.

I'm really looking forward to Moriah Jefferson vs. Kelsey Mitchell on Monday. That is going to be a fantastic matchup. There isn't a guard on SC's (available) roster that can shoot the ball like Mitchell. She's an amazing player.. I'm interested to see how UCONN plans on taking her out of the game.

At the end of the day, I'd rather not play Ohio State again. :cool:

O S U by half time gave USC 20 foul shots--and still pulled ahead at the end of the second quarter. Mitchell (USC) and Emersonwere very good. It would appear (only had gametracker) that OSU is a 2 trick pony--Mitchell and Alison--but last night that was enough (almost)

FYI---Brianna Banks, ex Uconn, got 20 points before she fouled out with almost 2 minutes left in OT---against Holy Cross.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
O S U by half time gave USC 20 foul shots--and still pulled ahead at the end of the second quarter. Mitchell (USC) and Emersonwere very good. It would appear (only had gametracker) that OSU is a 2 trick pony--Mitchell and Alison--but last night that was enough (almost)

FYI---Brianna Banks, ex Uconn, got 20 points before she fouled out with almost 2 minutes left in OT---against Holy Cross.

Mitchell and Alston = very good back court. They can shoot from anywhere on the court effortlessly almost.. It's unconscious to them. Ohio State's weakness is their front court and their defense. Our bigs were open all night. We didn't attempt a lot of threes in this game, and we honestly didn't have to because our bigs were SO open. If our post-to-post (or just passing in general really) passing was anywhere near decent last night then Coates would've scored 25+ easily but we were sloppy.. tOSU has size, but not a lot of it. That'll change next year with McCoy on the way. They'll also have another very good athletic shooter in Jensen Caretti. Even the guards beyond Mitchell and Alston aren't terrible.

Great team, a few more pieces added and they'll be elite.

Reaction Score
Mitchell and Alston = very good back court. They can shoot from anywhere on the court effortlessly almost.. It's unconscious to them. Ohio State's weakness is their front court and their defense. Our bigs were open all night. We didn't attempt a lot of threes in this game, and we honestly didn't have to because our bigs were SO open. If our post-to-post (or just passing in general really) passing was anywhere near decent last night then Coates would've scored 25+ easily but we were sloppy.. tOSU has size, but not a lot of it. That'll change next year with McCoy on the way. They'll also have another very good athletic shooter in Jensen Caretti. Even the guards beyond Mitchell and Alston aren't terrible.

Great team, a few more pieces added and they'll be elite.
If I read the physical stats on the OSU players --they were smaller than almost any team. Maybe one or two 6-3's or less who I doubt get much time. Yet they blocked two or three from A'ja.
I'm shocked. Last year Dawn Staley's Game play was to push the ball inside under all conditions. When you outsize a team--use it.
To Dawns credit. She used nearly, if not all, of her bench. To me nothing beats game experience against top teams--as long as you are ahead, and Dawn did that.
Not seeing the game--I wonder(ed) how OSU went from 13 down to 2 ahead at half time--gametracker locked up a couple of times.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
If I read the physical stats on the OSU players --they were smaller than almost any team. Maybe one or two 6-3's or less who I doubt get much time. Yet they blocked two or three from A'ja.
I'm shocked. Last year Dawn Staley's Game play was to push the ball inside under all conditions. When you outsize a team--use it.
To Dawns credit. She used nearly, if not all, of her bench. To me nothing beats game experience against top teams--as long as you are ahead, and Dawn did that.
Not seeing the game--I wonder(ed) how OSU went from 13 down to 2 ahead at half time--gametracker locked up a couple of times.

Their backcourt shoots the three incredibly well. It's impressive. The game almost got out of hand really early, SC was scoring at a blazingly fast pace but OSU regrouped and the threes started falling. I think they had 7 threes in the first half.

Reaction Score
Yet you watched the entire game probably. Geez, early season game between top 10 opponents and people can't just enjoy. Just HAVE to find something to complain about. Would you rather watch a top 25 team scrimmage against an NAIA school for WCBB opening night? Apparently..

The reason that we (the UCONN faithful) are not looking forward to our 86th straight victory on Monday night is because the school that is known historically for its great defensive teams, somehow, inexplicably, managed to give up 88 points to an opponent that was about to have (for them) a mediocre season.

Last year I picked UCONN by twenty over Stanford and what that taught me was that early season games are hard to predict. I don't know if Dawn will have her team playing great defensive by the time that we face them, but I doubt that what we saw last night is much of an indication of just how well they will be playing come tournament time. USC won in a wild one. OSU was impressive offensively, and we have to find a way to beat them at their place two days from now.

Everything else will follow.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

They have 2 6'6 players though they don't start.

Reaction Score
They have 2 6'6 players though they don't start.[/QUOTE

Before the game I pulled up OSU roster and I don't recall anyone more than 6'3"

but between reading and posting, who knows??

Thanks.

Reaction Score
Thought the game was interesting and fun to watch (ESPN 3 with a Comcast SEC Network connection.) IMHO Ohio State is dangerous and can compete for a FF spot in the regional finals. 8 teams will be playing tough and along with SC, ND, Tenn. and Baylor--I think Ohio State is in the "might upset somebody" category. After those 5 teams I am not as nervous.
However, OS needs to develop a stronger 3rd, 4th , 5th starter. If you put Mo, Nurse, and GAbby on the top two, then Stewie and Tuck can hold the fort.
Nine quick observations/perceptions/questions about South Carolina -- (I know this is the first game and things change through out the season--I get it.) Questions because we don't know for sure. We just have indications.
1-Team speed/quickness - -Who equals MO at guard, Gabby at the 3, and Stewie at the 4/5? If a team can match that, then it will be competitive. Wilson's foot speed surprised me. She's not Stewie.
2-Point Guard play - -Who matches MO--in decisions, outside shooting, assists to TO ratio, defense, quickness?
3-Team Defense - SC and OS were not stalwarts. UConn's teamwork will be hard to match. Can another team match UConn's overall defense?
4. Outside shooting- - Wilson is an inside scorer, Coates is too, Sessions is Average with the 3, OK --Mitchell can shoot, Roy is trying to fill the bill. UConn has the potential, if not the past performance, to be a top outside shooting team. Like last year.
5.-Foul shooting - -the numbers are not very high and SC is struggling--like many teams early. UConn might be a smidge better.
6-Turn-overs - -MO is like a 3-1 or even 4-1 ratio. Nurse has improved a lot too. SC seemed to be off their game (first game jitters.)
7-Conditioning - again it's early, but SC (especially the bigs were a little slow to get back at times.) Wilson was dragging at some points in the game. Rarely see a Huskies fatigued!
8-Rhythym/ Flow - I know it's early and Staley has a different philosophy about subbing. Ohio State came back to take the lead at the half (they were down by double digits) because the subs lost the flow of the game (not enough time together) & both defense and offensive timing suffered. Geno sharpens his team until his starters can go 25 minutes seamlessly. In fact, because of conditioning and training regime, Geno develops his starters and expects them to go 40 minutes if necessary. Think last year in the big games. 7-8 players or less.
9-Intensity - - First game of the season--I get it--not the title game. Intensity for SC was mostly up, but down at certain moments. UConn rarely has players on the court who are not relentless at most times. Focus, persistence, and aggressive play are UConn's baseline.
South Carolina is one of the top 6 teams in the country. They have to prove they are number two----in order to play the number 1 team in the country for the NC. I like UConn's odds, and players, and coaches. Let's see on Monday how they deal with Mitchell and Alston.
Then we will have confirmation or not.

Reaction Score
We'll figure more things out as the season goes on. We juggled a lot of players in and out and I don't think we necessarily need to do that so much or we can do a lot better job of getting the right players in there. I didn't get putting a true freshman first game in college and coming off an injury trying to defend the nation's most prolific scorer for so many minutes. I'd also like to see us set more high screens for our ball handlers in the half court, and show more hussle in cutting and moving with out the basketball on offense. At times the hustle to get open was terrible. I think that is the reason for a lot of these shotty passes. I think we did a pretty good job of breaking down the defense with dribble penetration though at times.

Reaction Score
Thought the game was interesting and fun to watch (ESPN 3 with a Comcast SEC Network connection.) IMHO Ohio State is dangerous and can compete for a FF spot in the regional finals. 8 teams will be playing tough and along with SC, ND, Tenn. and Baylor--I think Ohio State is in the "might upset somebody" category. After those 5 teams I am not as nervous.
However, OS needs to develop a stronger 3rd, 4th , 5th starter. If you put Mo, Nurse, and GAbby on the top two, then Stewie and Tuck can hold the fort.
Nine quick observations/perceptions/questions about South Carolina -- (I know this is the first game and things change through out the season--I get it.) Questions because we don't know for sure. We just have indications.
1-Team speed/quickness - -Who equals MO at guard, Gabby at the 3, and Stewie at the 4/5? If a team can match that, then it will be competitive. Wilson's foot speed surprised me. She's not Stewie.
2-Point Guard play - -Who matches MO--in decisions, outside shooting, assists to TO ratio, defense, quickness?
3-Team Defense - SC and OS were not stalwarts. UConn's teamwork will be hard to match. Can another team match UConn's overall defense?
4. Outside shooting- - Wilson is an inside scorer, Coates is too, Sessions is Average with the 3, OK --Mitchell can shoot, Roy is trying to fill the bill. UConn has the potential, if not the past performance, to be a top outside shooting team. Like last year.
5.-Foul shooting - -the numbers are not very high and SC is struggling--like many teams early. UConn might be a smidge better.
6-Turn-overs - -MO is like a 3-1 or even 4-1 ratio. Nurse has improved a lot too. SC seemed to be off their game (first game jitters.)
7-Conditioning - again it's early, but SC (especially the bigs were a little slow to get back at times.) Wilson was dragging at some points in the game. Rarely see a Huskies fatigued!
8-Rhythym/ Flow - I know it's early and Staley has a different philosophy about subbing. Ohio State came back to take the lead at the half (they were down by double digits) because the subs lost the flow of the game (not enough time together) & both defense and offensive timing suffered. Geno sharpens his team until his starters can go 25 minutes seamlessly. In fact, because of conditioning and training regime, Geno develops his starters and expects them to go 40 minutes if necessary. Think last year in the big games. 7-8 players or less.
9-Intensity - - First game of the season--I get it--not the title game. Intensity for SC was mostly up, but down at certain moments. UConn rarely has players on the court who are not relentless at most times. Focus, persistence, and aggressive play are UConn's baseline.
South Carolina is one of the top 6 teams in the country. They have to prove they are number two----in order to play the number 1 team in the country for the NC. I like UConn's odds, and players, and coaches. Let's see on Monday how they deal with Mitchell and Alston.
Then we will have confirmation or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog