SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit) | Page 22 | The Boneyard

SF/PF Wenyen Gabriel (Kentucky Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On TOS Ozzie seems pretty confident we are in the thick of it with Gabriel, I'd love to keep this streak going

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
On TOS Ozzie seems pretty confident we are in the thick of it with Gabriel, I'd love to keep this streak going

Where do we have room for him though? I want to keep all of the guys we have so far in the fold.

Reaction Score
Where do we have room for him though? I want to keep all of the guys we have so far in the fold.
You always have room for great talent, this is a question Duke and Kentucky fans never ask.

Reaction Score

We have two spots available at least and the staff is recruiting him as a wing.

That said, it doesn't seem very realistic. I really want one of the two snipers we are recruiting - it would be a great composition of players with varied skill sets.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We have two spots available at least and the staff is recruiting him as a wing.

That said, it doesn't seem very realistic. I really want one of the two snipers we are recruiting - it would be a great composition of players with varied skill sets.

If Vance Jackson ends up visiting and wants to commit as a SF, I don't know how you can say no to that. That's my one thing with Gabriel as it stands right now.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
UConn and Gabriel had been trending away from the other lately and UConn has just landed a five-star stretch four.

I'd say the handwriting is on the wall here.

With Larrier, Durham and Diarra, I think we have the position covered top and bottom - time for a couple of scoring guards next.

Reaction Score
Quick start talking pizza
Now we know why KO was missing on recruits last fall. We had our pizza discussion compressed in to a single, isolated thread. Our pizza discussion needs to proliferate and spread in to other threads.

Ride the pizza mojo

Glad I could be the harbinger of this revelation

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
UConn and Gabriel had been trending away from the other lately and UConn has just landed a five-star stretch four.

With Larrier, Durham and Diarra, I think we have the position covered top and bottom - time for a couple of scoring guards next.

Any talented centers left? Bradley? Why not be a little greedy at this point?

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score

This. Maryland is gaining momentum now too. Kid blew up fast and got a pretty big spotlight, which is a breeding ground for the shadier side of recruiting, something we really can't/don't mess with.

Reaction Score
has anybody had any interesting chats with guys at carwashes lately?

Maybe we need an official BY Carwash day

Reaction Score
Yes, he has been trending away from us and yes, signing Durham probably makes us less of a logical choice. I just object to "done"ing kids who've asked us to come for one of five in home visits. There has to be a middle ground between getting your hopes too high and turning your back on the young man.

Reaction Score
I think the odds of getting Wenyen just got longer, but it's not like he is evaluating schools that lack talent. Duke is the hottest school on the trail. He'll be battling for minutes at whichever school he chooses. Is the competition at UConn any more intimidating than Duke?

Reaction Score
Yes, he has been trending away from us and yes, signing Durham probably makes us less of a logical choice. I just object to "done"ing kids who've asked us to come for one of five in home visits. There has to be a middle ground between getting your hopes too high and turning your back on the young man.

Obviously the staff isn't "turning their backs" on him. Just don't expect him to choose UConn.

Reaction Score
Don't forget, KO was recruiting Gabriel as a 3, which is certainly not Durham's position. I think a Brendan Bailey commitment would affect him much more than Durham's. Gabriel is a 3/4, Durham a 4/5.

Duke, for example, has a 6'9 forward committed and is the presumed frontrunner. We have a 6'11 forward committed; certainly not dead yet.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
One good thing you can say about those extreme opinions is that they are not wishy washy.

In the end all the wailing and gnashing of teeth mean nothing. The events will play out in spite of how we argue about them ahead of time. The weird thing is that the UConn men's bb team has probably been the least predictable in terms of outcomes (both for recruiting and team success) then the other two major programs presented in the Boneyard and yet, contrary to logic, the people in this forum might have the greatest numbers of people who insist on outcomes and get angry when they fail.

Reaction Score
The great news is this would just be a bonus and not a need. KO put our guys in nice shape. Actually from my perspective I would rather take a nice top 150 BIG with some muscle who can take up space, true center as well as a shooter, scorer like Powell/Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom