Seth Greenburg Akok & Bouk comparisons | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Seth Greenburg Akok & Bouk comparisons

Reaction Score
Agreed. Bouk's one weakness that I can see is he's a set shooter from outside. Watched him in warmups and he never left the floor. He doesn't elevate like Ray (or even Polley) and so he's going to have a hard time getting that shot off against decent defenders.

The guy he reminds me of didn't play for UConn, Kerry Kittles at Villanova. Similar craftyness in his game.

Rip was a set shooter as well. It worked out ok. It's more about the quickness of release.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Bouk's one weakness that I can see is he's a set shooter from outside. Watched him in warmups and he never left the floor. He doesn't elevate like Ray (or even Polley) and so he's going to have a hard time getting that shot off against decent defenders.

The guy he reminds me of didn't play for UConn, Kerry Kittles at Villanova. Similar craftyness in his game.
lol, Bouknight doesn't have a set shot.

Reaction Score

Kendall Gill comes to mind as well, super athletic

Reaction Score
Can we talk about this Akok play? He's at the old 3 point line when the pass is made and blocks the guy's shot at the rim!

3:23 if the timing embed doesn't work.

And then despite being at the baseline when the play happens he's the first Husky down the court! And that draws Polley's defender, so Polley gets an open look.

Reaction Score
Can we talk about this Akok play? He's at the old 3 point line when the pass is made and blocks the guy's shot at the rim!

And then despite being at the baseline when the play happens he's the first Husky down the court! And that draws Polley's defender, so Polley gets an open look.

It's crazy how fast he is. Hurley hits on 2 surefire NBA players in his first class here.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm assuming by "set shot" he meants that Bouknight doesn't shoot threes at the peak of his jump but closer to when he leaves the floor. You know who else does that? Steph Curry . . .

Yep. He gets it off pretty quickly fortunately. But I wouldn't say he looks like Ray doing it, that was the point.

As a player, I still see a game that reminds me of Kerry Kittles.

Reaction Score
Yep. He gets it off pretty quickly fortunately. But I wouldn't say he looks like Ray doing it, that was the point.

As a player, I still see a game that reminds me of Kerry Kittles.
Nobody really shoots Ray Allen's style jumpers anymore where you jump way off the ground and shoot at the highest release point, it isn't taught. Watch how Curry, Doncic, Eric Gordon etc. shoot. Bouknight will have zero trouble ever getting his shot off.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Nobody really shoots Ray Allen's style jumpers anymore where you jump way off the ground and shoot at the highest release point, it isn't taught. Watch how Curry, Doncic, Eric Gordon etc. shoot. Bouknight will have zero trouble ever getting his shot off.

Oddly, Polley does. Nobody is blocking his shot in the college game with his height and release point.

Reaction Score
Oddly, Polley does. Nobody is blocking his shot in the college game with his height and release point.
Your original post was that Bouknight has a weakness and it's that he has a set shot which he'll have trouble getting off against good defenders.

I just had to clarify he doesn't have a set shot and he won't have any trouble getting it off in college or the NBA. Polley is a lot taller and has a higher release point but will have more trouble getting his shot off than James.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Your original post was that Bouknight has a weakness and it's that he has a set shot which he'll have trouble getting off against good defenders.

I just had to clarify he doesn't have a set shot and he won't have any trouble getting it off in college or the NBA. Polley is a lot taller and has a higher release point but will have more trouble getting his shot off than James.

So we will see. He doesn't take many 3's, certainly not with a guy on him. My expectation is that he can shoot it off the dribble, and will use that to get separation. So I viewed it as a potential weakness right now. Believe me, I think he's a fantastic player.

Reaction Score
Bouk's shot isn't "set" at all. It's modern. Jumping high to shoot isn't what the best shooters do any more because it messes with accuracy.

He releases on the way up of a comfortable jump, rather than at the peak of a jump, so that he optimizes the effeciency of the shot--uses the energy from his legs easily. The way he shoots will allow him to extend his range well beyond the nba line in time. Bouk could stand to raise his release point a little though, especially in the mid-range.

The old-school Ray style shot doesn't optimize the energy from legs and minimizes range. Because he shot at the top of the shot when he was momentarily stopped at the peak, he had to use his arms A LOT more than shooters today would. Which we all know makes the accuracy go down.

Reaction Score
The old-school Ray style shot doesn't optimize the energy from legs and minimizes range. Because he shot at the top of the shot when he was momentarily stopped at the peak, he had to use his arms A LOT more than shooters today would. Which we all know makes the accuracy go down.

I don't think it's a question of energy. Ray barely used his arms at all. His motion was a flick of the wrist at the top. I just think that it's a more complicated motion which is more difficult to repeat. The shooting motions of Curry, Harden, Hield, Gallinari, and many of the best shooters are much simpler.

There are a few guys left that shoot at the peak of their jumps -- JJ Reddick comes to mind. Klay Thompson can shoot it both ways.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a question of energy. Ray barely used his arms at all. His motion was a flick of the wrist at the top. I just think that it's a more complicated motion which is more difficult to repeat. The shooting motions of Curry, Harden, Hield, Gallinari, and many of the best shooters are much simpler.

There are a few guys left that shoot at the peak of their jumps -- JJ Reddick comes to mind. Klay Thompson can shoot it both ways.

Eh, yes and no. Realistically, anyone's shot is something like 70% arms if I remember correctly. Guy named Dave Love talked about some research on that at a clinic I went to a couple years ago. Ray definitely uses his arms more than someone like Booker, Klay, and textbook shooters today. His wrist flick was HARD. He also used much less arm than dudes of his era.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't think it's a question of energy. Ray barely used his arms at all. His motion was a flick of the wrist at the top.
While making sure his arms were square to hoop even if the rest of his body wasn't.

Last edited:

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Id be shocked if he were here for 3 years. This kid is coming off the bench, not forcing anything and yet hes putting up 14ppg in his first 3 games. What is he going to be doing by February? I think he'll be here next year but gone after. Its cool though, these are good problems to have.
And doing it in only 20 minutes.

Reaction Score

He was actually wide open under the basket but Reek missed him.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Bouk's shot isn't "set" at all. It's modern. Jumping high to shoot isn't what the best shooters do any more because it messes with accuracy.

He releases on the way up of a comfortable jump, rather than at the peak of a jump, so that he optimizes the effeciency of the shot--uses the energy from his legs easily. The way he shoots will allow him to extend his range well beyond the nba line in time. Bouk could stand to raise his release point a little though, especially in the mid-range.

Maybe that explains why "Everyday Ray" practiced 500 shots a day every day! He did whatever it took. Pretty amazing.

Reaction Score
Bouknight may very well be the best freshman we have had, period. His combination of basketball IQ, athleticism, composure, and ability to score from all over the floor sets him apart from the others. He does more things well than any other UConn freshman I can remember. He was the best player on the floor in Charleston, and those were his first three college games.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

So this explains why Carton only bunny hops on layups right? ;)

Anyway, good info. I'm old school so wasn't aware of this new trend, although as others point out, you do see it with guys like Curry.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Bouknight may very well be the best freshman we have had, period. His combination of basketball IQ, athleticism, composure, and ability to score from all over the floor sets him apart from the others. He does more things well than any other UConn freshman I can remember. He was the best player on the floor in Charleston, and those were his first three college games.

I'm going to go with Caron here, but he was an unconventional freshman. You could make a good case for Khalid El Amin. Ray was very good as was Earl Kelley on a weaker team. Guys like Rudy and Donyell a step below that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom