Ryan Boatright | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Ryan Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
CallMeBruce said:
The 2000 team was actually ranked #20 in the final AP poll, which is weird, because I had remembered them ending that season unranked as well.

I am pretty sure they fell out and rallied back in after a good BET reaching the final. But I already misremembered polls once in this thread, so I'm certainly not putting money down that I got that one right either.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure they fell out and rallied back in after a good BET reaching the final. But I already misremembered polls once in this thread, so I'm certainly not putting money down that I got that one right either.

According to sports-reference, they dropped down to 24 before the BET. That's only the AP, though. I don't know what happened with the coaches poll. Not that it really matters, in this context.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Boat is a level below Shabazz. I think that's 100 percent fair - and I imagine almost everyone would agree.

But statements like this one and the ones others make that we just "rode Bazz to the 2014 title" discount what Boat brought to the table. Boat was actually on that 2013 team and averaged 15 ppg, plus had as many assists as Bazz (albeit in two less games). He had a huge hand in that team being 20-10. We clearly don't win the title without Boat last year - he came up big against St. Joe's when Bazz was AWOL, he led the team's D against Nova with Bazz in foul trouble, he took MSU's guards and Wilbekin out of the game, he was big against Kentucky. Bazz was the lead dog, and his huge shots outweigh his couple of blips in the six-game run, but Boat's role was much, much more than going along for the ride. Some have knocked Boat for not making his teammates better, but one guy he helped make better was Bazz.

Just as a parallel, KEA didn't have a great year without Rip and Ricky (better than this one, but relatively speaking, a similar drop off - going from being ranked No. 1 or No. 2 all year to out of the top 25). Rarely does anyone consider that a flaw in KEA - just an acceptance that the team wasn't good enough and pieces didn't fit as well (Free at 3, eg). Same deal this year. Over time, KEA is thought of far, far more for 1999 than our junior year struggles, and rightfully so, and Boat should be thought of more for 2014 and being a huge, huge part of that two-year run back from the abyss, than trying to lead a team that wasn't good enough his final season.
Such a great post. Wish I could like it 10 more times.

I truly hope Boat gets his number retired. He's a Husky of Honor as far as I'm concerned.

Reaction Score
Find it hard to believe he didn't land in Chad Fords Top 100. I know it means nothing but WTF!?

Reaction Score
he and Bazz taking the ISU, MSU, FL & UK guards totally out of their game plane

2014 was about defending the guards
No "experts" thought they would beat any of those teams. Boat is on the Mount Olympus of U ONN guards.

Reaction Score
Ever since Boat was just a recruit i loved his game!! I think the weight on his back this past year was just too much to overcome, but had he done it he'd be held in a lot higher regard outside of the Uconn world. I'll say this. If he gets picked up by an NBA team in the second round and they give him a little burn here or there, I think he can be a really good spark plug off the bench in the mold on Nate Robinson. Scrappy defense, and can light up any team. Plus in the NBA nobody is even going to try to defend this second round pick under 6 foot dude. If he gets in the right situation, I think he can really make a name for himself at the next level.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Maybe, I think you start getting into semantics when you distinguish between "all time great" and "pretty good" as it relates to the guards who have come through this program in the last quarter century. There are certainly more than a few guards who are regarded as merely very good at this program who would be considered all-time greats at other like programs.

I don't think Boat is quite on the level of Shabazz or Kemba, but I think he's closer to KEA than many think. He's probably on that second tier.

The thing people forget about Boat's career is that he really wasn't all that good as a junior until the tournament. But he dominated the tournament, and he carried that momentum over into his senior year. Not to mention, he was pretty damn good as a sophomore when he and Shabazz carried a decimated front court to 20 wins and within shouting distance of a BE title.

He strung three really good individual seasons together for this program and won a title in the process. He definitely had flaws and maybe was never perfectly qualified to be a full-time lead guard, but I'll still choose to view him as another in a long line of brilliant guards to come through this program.

Seconded.

Reaction Score
We're forever indebted to Boat. Simple as that. Without his pressure defense we have 3 titles. The argument if he was a good lead PG isn't really fair for two reasons:
1. He is naturally a spark plug that on a deep team is the guy you go to for quick points and scrappy D not necessarily to distribute the ball. See Isaiah Thomas
2. He is often compared to two greats who were naturally lead PG's who lead more talented and experienced teams that Boat didn't have for most of this season.

He is an all time great PLAYER who cares if he was a "great lead point" because that's not who he was or what made him invaluable.

Reaction Score
zUzywYc.jpg
One of my all time favorite uconn photos...still brings tears to my eyes!

Reaction Score
He may be small but he's got big hops and a big heart.

Actually I thought he would measure slightly shorter by an inch or so.

I saw unofficially on another article he was 5'10" without shoes. Meaning he only gained 1" in shoes, while some other guys were getting 1.25-1.75" in shoes. Boat wore the wrong shoes. ;)

Here's the other article. SB Nation was mocking how bad some other measurements were... Ryan's measurements just happened to be on that list.
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/13/8...rements-vince-hunter-clown-shoes-stilts-fraud

Poe

Reaction Score
I saw unofficially on another article he was 5'10" without shoes. Meaning he only gained 1" in shoes, while some other guys were getting 1.25-1.75" in shoes. Boat wore the wrong shoes. ;)

Here's the other article. SB Nation was mocking how bad some other measurements were... Ryan's measurements just happened to be on that list.
http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/13/8601777/2015-nba-draft-combine-measurements-vince-hunter-clown-shoes-stilts-fraud

I never understood the stupid with and without shoes measurements. Can't they just measure without shoes and call it day?

Reaction Score
not really a fan of his game, but boatright is gonna go ham in those new implemented 5v5s. especially if all he needs to do is lock up and finish at the rim/hit long range. i wonder if itll be televised with the likes of rick kamla on the mic on nbatv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom