Ryan Boatright | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ryan Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How he played in the 2013-14 NCAA Tourney is how I want to remember him. Those are the best memories. He helped create memories that will last a lifetime as pics in the thread show. Last years team had NO team chemistry. Not to much leadership. You can blame Boat and/or the cast of misfits he couldn't lead. UConn should have been a first round exit in the NCAA Tournament not the NIT. Ollie was beyond horrible and his practices were like a cancerous growth on a hairy bunghole. NOT pretty!

It wasn't until some of Boat's family got in his head about accepting deferring to Bazz more that our championship run took on a life of its own. Even though we beat Florida early ...on the Bazz buzzer beater in 2013-14 it took time for that team to peak as it relates to chemistry. THERE IS NO WAY WE EVEN COME CLOSE TO WINNING THE NATTY IN 2013-14 WITHOUT THE BOATSHOW. He will always go down as 1 of my favorites.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Many great memories come to mind with Boat, but I will never forget the first impression he left on me!

With that type of athleticism I knew this kid would be a great Huskie!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
he was a great second banana, fantastic in spring 2014. never liked him as the lead guard though. couldn't make his teammates better...
bazz was good bc he had boat to allow him to play off the ball and had players who could score...bazz had 3 years of being "the man" the lead pg, boat had one with a very unfamiliar team.. who did bazz make better? he didnt make giffey better, giff playing over seas made giff better... giff was able to shoot and score.. daniels was inconsistent until tourney play... bazz had players around him including boat, boat had no one around him who could score... boat was a very good lead guard, the teams lack of knowledge of the offense, lack of team chemistry, and inability to score was the reason the team struggled... not because boat couldnt make them better

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
could you imagine daniel hamilton playing with napier? he would turn him into daniels on roids. lots of pick n pops boatright couldn't do, simply because he never had the passing skills in his tool box.
he couldn't do it bc hamilton doesnt know how to do that... it took daniels 2-3 years to develop that game... boat can't put the ball into the hoop for them, it also didnt work because hamilton would pump fake twice and pass it back to boat

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Boatright had a big heart, was fearless, and a great player here in his 4 years. He was not a great lead guard thought that could raise the level of his play from his teammates like Bazz though. When Bazz and Kemba played they played the game with so much discipline and demanded the same out of their teammates. Boatright did not play the game with the same discipline as them still throwing lazy passes and having frustrating turnovers at times. So his teammates played to that same level because teams are only as smart and disciplined as their lead guard.

Reaction Score
Boatright had a big heart, was fearless, and a great player here in his 4 years. He was not a great lead guard thought that could raise the level of his play from his teammates like Bazz though. When Bazz and Kemba played they played the game with so much discipline and demanded the same out of their teammates. Boatright did not play the game with the same discipline as them still throwing lazy passes and having frustrating turnovers at times. So his teammates played to that same level because teams are only as smart and disciplined as their lead guard.

I agree that Boatright is not at good as those guys, and to me Shabazz is the best UConn player of all time, but to use turnovers as your argument is ridiculous IMO. Bazz averaged like three turnovers a game last year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I agree that Boatright is not at good as those guys, and to me Shabazz is the best UConn player of all time, but to use turnovers as your argument is ridiculous IMO. Bazz averaged like three turnovers a game last year.
It's not about just turnovers as it is the manner which they are made. Like not being able to pass out of a double team, lazy passes, bad passes, forcing things, etc.

Reaction Score
A surprising amount of playoff teams could use guard depth, so Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, Clippers, New Orelans, Washington are options in the 2nd round.

Lakers, Knicks, 76ers, etc need players, so Boat can earn playing time for these teams.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
how is this misguided... did you watch this past season? i saw every minute and he was fantastic at getting his numbers, terrible at playing winning basketball and sacrificing etc...

You'll need to watch this season, before making this statement. Boat was an all-time Husky. Some of those guys can't be made better.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
so it's boats fault he's not 6'2? it was his fault that his teammates couldnt make a shot to bring up his assist numbers or couldnt stop pumpfaking and stepping out of bounds? if the other team double and even triple teams the best player every single game, you need other players to step up and help out... kemba had AO, lamb, bazz; bazz had daniels, boat, giff, kromah; boat had...... hamilton? when hamilton played with confidence

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
so it's boats fault he's not 6'2? it was his fault that his teammates couldnt make a shot to bring up his assist numbers or couldnt stop pumpfaking and stepping out of bounds? if the other team double and even triple teams the best player every single game, you need other players to step up and help out... kemba had AO, lamb, bazz; bazz had daniels, boat, giff, kromah; boat had. hamilton? when hamilton played with confidence
Was Kemba or Bazz 6'2? Why was Boat allowing them to double and triple team him? Hamilton, Purvis, and Brimah all had better skillsets than any of the guys you just mentioned. Talent was not the issue with this team. Brimah has a better post up game and played better defense than AO. Hamilton's all around game was better than Lam's and Purvis this year was better than the freshman version of Bazz. I'm telling you the reason all those players looked so good was because they had a great lead guard that set them up well and made everyone know their roles. Most of the shots this year on offense were very 1 on 1. That did not happen Kemba or Bazz's year unless they were doing it.

If Boat was a great lead guard who could run your offense he wouldn't be getting talks of going undrafted after the 4 years he put together here. Our offense with all the talent it had would not have struggled so much either.

Reaction Score
Why is it so difficult for people to accept the fact he wasn't a great lead guard? everything huskywarrior said is on point, and to be frank its not really boats fault. he was kind of hoisted into the position to carry the torch, his last experience being a lead guard he scored a gazzilion points @ east aurora. His numbers across the board look good, but there were key moments in many games where his lack of court discipline was wildly apparent. not only on the offensive end, but also the defensive end! not even gonna bring up the pg's that torched the hell out of him and directly costed us games. The first temple game, the stanford game ( you know the game where terrible purvis was on fire? and showed up?), the first memphis game ( dhams' masterpiece, a statline daniels could never put up), the wvu game was over because they were in his head from the jump and he got destroyed by their pg.

i'll remember him as a great scorer who helped hoist banner #4 , but as a leader on a young team he left much to be desired.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Why is it so difficult for people to accept the fact he wasn't a great lead guard?

Why is it so difficult for you to understand the difference between fact and opinion? People simply disagree with your opinion for a variety of reasons that have been stated and restated ad naseum.

No one is changing anyone's mind here, but it just seems sad to me that for some people the answer to the query in the op--i.e., What sticks in your mind most about Ryan Boatright?--is that he wasn't Shabazz or Kemba.

The kid gave everything he had to this university and was asked to play a number of difficult roles, the last of which was leader of a team that was less talented and less experienced than the ones to which he is being compared. I and others think he acquitted himself quite well all things considered, exceeding our expectations of his abilities in that role. You and some others lay the blame not on his supporting cast, but on him. Hence the disagreement.

If he was 2" taller he would be a first-round pick. Still doesn't diminish what he did in college.

Reaction Score
Why is it so difficult for you to understand the difference between fact and opinion? People simply disagree with your opinion for a variety of reasons that have been stated and restated ad naseum.

No one is changing anyone's mind here, but it just seems sad to me that for some people the answer to the query in the op--i.e., What sticks in your mind most about Ryan Boatright?--is that he wasn't Shabazz or Kemba.

The kid gave everything he had to this university and was asked to play a number of difficult roles, the last of which was leader of a team that was less talented and less experienced than the ones to which he is being compared. I and others think he acquitted himself quite well all things considered, exceeding our expectations of his abilities in that role. You and some others lay the blame not on his supporting cast, but on him. Hence the disagreement.

If he was 2" taller he would be a first-round pick. Still doesn't diminish what he did in college.
you kind of started with the vitriol when you quoted 25% of my original post and claimed it as 'misguided sentiment'. It is a matter of opinion i agree with that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
i can assure you gives no effs about uconn hoops.
Actually, I think this is the most unfortunate of all your observations.

Reaction Score
Actually, I think this is the most unfortunate of all your observations.
the context of this is he isn't reading this message board, excuse the hyperbole on a post. knowing some inside the locker room stuff, i can confidently say that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
'15 Ryan Boatright - 35.8 minutes, 5.4-12.6 FG/g, 42.3% FG, 41.1 3FG, 85.0 FT, 4.1 RB, 3.8 A/g, 2.4 TO, 17.1 ppg
'14 Shabazz Napier - 35.1 minutes, 5.3-12.4 FG/g, 42.9% FG, 40.5 3FG, 87.0 FT, 5.9 RB, 4.9 A/g, 2.0 TO, 18.0 ppg

If anyone thinks Ryan Boatright was the problem this past year, I don't know what to tell you.

If anything, he dragged that hot mess of offensive dreck much farther than it deserved to go on its own merits - Shabazz isn't looking at a late first-round selection if he's the sole point guard on the 2014-15 Huskies.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Was Kemba or Bazz 6'2? Why was Boat allowing them to double and triple team him? Hamilton, Purvis, and Brimah all had better skillsets than any of the guys you just mentioned. Talent was not the issue with this team. Brimah has a better post up game and played better defense than AO. Hamilton's all around game was better than Lam's and Purvis this year was better than the freshman version of Bazz. I'm telling you the reason all those players looked so good was because they had a great lead guard that set them up well and made everyone know their roles. Most of the shots this year on offense were very 1 on 1. That did not happen Kemba or Bazz's year unless they were doing it.

If Boat was a great lead guard who could run your offense he wouldn't be getting talks of going undrafted after the 4 years he put together here. Our offense with all the talent it had would not have struggled so much either.
That fact that you said brimah has a better all around game than AO should be a red flag. Purvis had spurts this year. He's also been in college for three years, bazz was a freshman. Bazz was a great ball handler for kemba as was lamb. Lol maybe he's getting talked about going late second or undrafted is because he's small. He has the athleticism, speed, iq and skills to be able run an offense at the pro level. If bazz didn't have boat do you think bazz does what he did? Highly unlikely. If boat had three years to be the man, the lead guard, to work grow you'd have a different tune

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
'15 Ryan Boatright - 35.8 minutes, 5.4-12.6 FG/g, 42.3% FG, 41.1 3FG, 85.0 FT, 4.1 RB, 3.8 A/g, 2.4 TO, 17.1 ppg
'14 Shabazz Napier - 35.1 minutes, 5.3-12.4 FG/g, 42.9% FG, 40.5 3FG, 87.0 FT, 5.9 RB, 4.9 A/g, 2.0 TO, 18.0 ppg

If anyone thinks Ryan Boatright was the problem this past year, I don't know what to tell you.

If anything, he dragged that hot mess of offensive dreck much farther than it deserved on its own merits - Shabazz isn't looking at a late first-round selection if he's the sole point guard on the 2014-15 Huskies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That fact that you said brimah has a better all around game than AO should be a red flag. Purvis had spurts this year. He's also been in college for three years, bazz was a freshman. Bazz was a great ball handler for kemba as was lamb. Lol maybe he's getting talked about going late second or undrafted is because he's small. He has the athleticism, speed, iq and skills to be able run an offense at the pro level. If bazz didn't have boat do you think bazz does what he did? Highly unlikely. If boat had three years to be the man, the lead guard, to work grow you'd have a different tune
What did AO do better than Brimah besides rebound?
You guys are asking the wrong question too. If Boat didn't have Bazz is he the player he was his senior year? If Bazz didn't have Kemba as a mentor does he turn out to become the player he was? Bazz was the one who calmed Boat down and got him under control for his 1st 3 years. Not the other way around. That's what I'm talking about with being that lead guard. Being able to bring the best out of your supporting cast. A PG makes everyone look better. Do you think Giffey looks anywhere near as good as he would have if it wasn't for how smooth our offense was ran that gave him great looks where Bazz or Boat would find him?

It was all about offensive discipline. The discipline to make every pass crisp to set an example, the discipline to run your sets like you're suppose to and not come down and jack a terrible shot, the discipline to keep going to a guy and demanding he shot like Bazz did with Deandre. We didn't see that out of Boat this year. He was a scorer first. I said going into the season that the team success would depend on Boat's ability to facilitate to the other scorers we had on the team. No it isn't Boat's fault that these guys had their turnovers and couldn't make their shots. But he could've done a better job in elevating their play and making the game easier for them like the PGs that came before him is all.

Reaction Score
are you going to add anything meaningful to this discussion? for instance, who did boatright make better as a teammate? he was a great second banana, thats it. or you can just continue to refute everything i say about boat like he is reading these forums, and i can assure you gives no effs about uconn hoops.

huh?

Reaction Score
Fishy said:
If anyone thinks Ryan Boatright was the problem this past year, I don't know what to tell you. If anything, he dragged that hot mess of offensive dreck much farther than it deserved to go on its own merits

Seems like a pretty obvious point to anyone who watched them for even a couple minutes this year.

A couple of our more vocal basketball gurus are losing some significant credibility in this thread claiming otherwise.

The idea that this team's flaw was that Boat didn't play "winning basketball" or elevate his teammates makes me laugh out loud. It's like blaming your point guard when your 5 foot 6 small forward can't dunk.

Reaction Score
It's not about just turnovers as it is the manner which they are made. Like not being able to pass out of a double team, lazy passes, bad passes, forcing things, etc.

That was the biggest knock on Napier. That he was too flashy and careless from the ball. A lot of his turnovers resulted from that. Do you not remember the turnover in the championship game when Harrison knocked it away from him in the backcourt with 5 minutes to go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom