Ryan Boatright | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ryan Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
how is this misguided... did you watch this past season? i saw every minute and he was fantastic at getting his numbers, terrible at playing winning basketball and sacrificing etc...
It's misguided in just about every way imaginable. I also watched every game, many in person, and could not disagree more strongly with every single observation you have stated.

Reaction Score
It's misguided in just about every way imaginable. I also watched every game, many in person, and could not disagree more strongly with every single observation you have stated.
so you're telling me boatright is a great lead guard on a winning team? thats just false.. he was a great robin to napier, but struggled elevating the play of his teammates in 2015. those are facts. Napier made giffey + daniels reach another plateau, and i believe adams will do the same in 2016.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's unclear; he's not going to get drafted.

I think of what he did defensively in the 2014 Tourny, particularly in the Final 4. Legendary defense. His offense wasn't too shabby, either.
Boat right will get drafted mi range rd 2 45-54

Reaction Score
I believe we have different understandings of the meaning of the word "facts."
are you going to add anything meaningful to this discussion? for instance, who did boatright make better as a teammate? he was a great second banana, thats it. or you can just continue to refute everything i say about boat like he is reading these forums, and i can assure you gives no effs about uconn hoops.

Reaction Score
how is this misguided... did you watch this past season? i saw every minute and he was fantastic at getting his numbers, terrible at playing winning basketball and sacrificing etc...

I usually agree with you, but I think you're way off here. Terrible at playing winning basketball, really? You're right, he wasn't a natural point, but you make quite the leap from that to saying he can't play winning basketball or sacrifice. He was a two in a PG's body but he was damn good at what he did do well.

Reaction Score
His magnum opus for me will be the Florida game. His three really got UConn back in it after the early defecit, and his defense on Wilbekin was ridiculous. Absolutely took him out of the game.

Reaction Score
I usually agree with you, but I think you're way off here. Terrible at playing winning basketball, really? You're right, he wasn't a natural point, but you make quite the leap from that to saying he can't play winning basketball or sacrifice. He was a two in a PG's body but he was damn good at what he did do well.
i overstated that, he can play winning basketball within a ROLE. he isn't a lead point guard. definitely not. a great off guard at the college level though, no doubt.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
so you're telling me boatright is a great lead guard on a winning team? thats just false.. he was a great robin to napier, but struggled elevating the play of his teammates in 2015. those are facts. Napier made giffey + daniels reach another plateau, and i believe adams will do the same in 2016.

Napier HAD Giffey and Daniels...and Boatright.

Reaction Score
Napier HAD Giffey and Daniels...and Boatright.
could you imagine daniel hamilton playing with napier? he would turn him into daniels on roids. lots of pick n pops boatright couldn't do, simply because he never had the passing skills in his tool box.

Reaction Score
Napier made giffey + daniels reach another plateau, and i believe adams will do the same in 2016.

I've never seen him in a Div 1 game but its good to know Adams is coming in without major expectations. Especially considering him and Boat left high school with about equal credentials. Perhaps Adams will become the miracle worker Boat couldn't be, making Omar, Brimah, Nolan and Facey better, something even Bazz couldn't do.

Talk about kicking Boat out while he's still here . . . . . . . . . .

Reaction Score
I will always remember the abrupt transformation when Boat finally bought in. I contend that it was this shift(his willingness and desire to be Bazz's robin) in his mentality, his approach that was the difference maker in last year's title run. Simply put, if Boat didn't play like that, as much as Bazz, we don't have 4 titles. As Dana O'Neill said in one of her articles in last years final four, Bazz and BOAT played some of the nastiest on ball defense that March has ever seen. That's not hyperbole. It was that good. Still, more impressive to me, was how this young man conducted himself throughout this past year. He was a leader, up until the very end he was composed, and the kid gave 110% every time out there. I think that in 4 years, from start to finish, Boat proved a lot of people wrong, me inlcuded. He arrived a me first, athlete with some bounce. He will leave a complete basketball player. I learned my lesson to doubt Boat which is why I feel he will make it very hard for some NBA GM to cut him.

Reaction Score
What I will remember on Boat is how I didn't think he could transform into the PG they needed to compete last year and he proved me utterly wrong. He was really good, really good sometimes and almost unselfish to a point at times. Whole different kid and personality than when he walked on campus for the first time, and he became quite a teammate didn't he?

No reason to compare these 2, they were both excellent Huskies and everyone has an opinion but for these 2 - 2014 was IT.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If I live to be 1000, I'll never forget this bucket:
This, the great d in 2014 FF, his first game free throws.
20142014 FF,
PointlessBogusImago.gif

That's when I knew we were going to win, that Bazz & Boat were both smart enough and quick enough and tough enough to punish every slow transition, every botched rotation from UK.

I'll remember the Syracuse comment, and the Cincinnati 3, and his overall toughness and wire-to-wire defense, of course. But that play is the first thing that will come to my mind when I read "Ryan Boatright" for the rest of my life.

Reaction Score
They say first impressions are critical. I had a feeling when Boatright hit those 3 free throws vs FSU that we had a good one on our hands. Thats not easy to do for a freshman especially in their first ever college game ever. Hamilton was in the same scenario this year vs Temple at the XL and couldnt do it. Thats not a knock on Hamilton at all. It just shows how much of a clutch player Boat was. I really hope that isnt forgotten because of what happened this year by not making the tournament when the team was his.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If I live to be 1000, I'll never forget this bucket:

PointlessBogusImago.gif

That's when I knew we were going to win, that Bazz & Boat were both smart enough and quick enough and tough enough to punish every slow transition, every botched rotation from UK.

I'll remember the Syracuse comment, and the Cincinnati 3, and his overall toughness and wire-to-wire defense, of course. But that play is the first thing that will come to my mind when I read "Ryan Boatright" for the rest of my life.
Besides the shot my biggest reaction to that was how easily Amidah got pushed off the position bu that little forearm shove for the offensive rebound if needed. That cannot happen next year for sure.

Reaction Score
What are a few things that will always stick in your mind about Ryan Boatright? To me, the first few are a significant role in the program's fourth national title, an incredible albeit undersized athlete, a suffocating defender and perhaps most of all his loyalty to the program through thick and thin. There are many other tremendous attributes so curious to hear yours... Also, does it sound like second round likely or unclear?
Bad news for Boat is that Kentucky and Duke have a total of ten freshman coming out. Most will be 1st rounders. That pushes everyone else that much further down to be drafted. Very worst is that Boat will go to camps as a undrafted player. He will probably have a long, very good career in Europe. Which is alright.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score

My post above got messed up It was 3 things:
1) That move away from, and back to the basket that I was replying to.
2) His defense throughout the NCAA run that was a huge part of our NC
3) Those end of game free throws in his first college game.

All, have already been noted but the trio will live in my mind

Reaction Score
So who was Boatright's Robin, or Alfred to that matter this past season? Just sayin'.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
When reporters asked JC what the recruit Boatright was like he said "he is a lot like Shabazz only with more zip if you can believe that." Then as a freshman I believe he won the dunk contest on first night. This was before I had even seen him. Great athlete, tenacious defender, explosive speed and leaping ability. Hard nosed Chicago kid who played that way every game. Will miss him. He will
play pro somewhere; Europe if not the NBA.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

Boat didn't have anyone with the potential of Giffey/Daniels with him last year with the exception of Hamilton.

Reaction Score
I will miss Boat. he's a good player who deserves a shot in the nba. I look to Isiah Thomas as a model for how he can make it. I just wonder if there is a Jimmer that could be drafted to the same team ahead of him, someone he could out work and out perform to make sure he makes the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom