Rutgers just can't have nice things, can they | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Rutgers just can't have nice things, can they

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Curious about when Joe "almost" coached at RU. Its my understanding that he only considered one other job in his career, The New England Patriots in the 1970s. As for Anderson he did win in 88, but Joe didn't send him to RU. In fact he advised him against taking the job.

As for what's going on with RU, I do agree with Nicky that it could have happened anywhere. I don't believe it is indicative of some pervasive culture on their team. That said this embarrassment on the back of the 4-5 others since joining the conference has got to have Delany reaching for the Rolaids.
No he didnt...he sent him in his place and never had any interest in the pro's...I know...i followed it closely...your wrong he advised against it...he sent him.

Reaction Score
Of the major football programs in the Northeast, Syracuse has been hurt the most by Rutgers 'improvement' and move into the B1G with Syracuse's coaching issues just adding to it.
As usual your on the money....FHCGS targeted Cuse wisely......the BIG had been waiting for an excuse to bring RU off the unofficial ' in waiting' list for years and pounced after finding a partner....UMD.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Nicky, has there been one post on this thread (other than one of yours) that you haven't responded to?

Reaction Score
That story about the 5 arrests is horrific. That stuff does NOT go on everywhere. I can assure you KF's seat is hot.

Honestly, I understand why Rutgers is in the BiG and UCONN isn't, but in terms of which institution and AD is better managed.........is there really any debate?

Reaction Score
That story about the 5 arrests is horrific. That stuff does NOT go on everywhere. I can assure you KF's seat is hot.

Honestly, I understand why Rutgers is in the BiG and UCONN isn't, but in terms of which institution and AD is better managed....is there really any debate?
i can't argue with that uconndogs and won't....'managed'.....but yes that stuff can and does happen anywhere in our society.....I assure you HCKF won't tolerate it...nor should any legit HC.

Reaction Score
Nicky, has there been one post on this thread (other than one of yours) that you haven't responded to?
Sorry if i seem touchy....sort of shellshocked by all the recent events....sometimes its better the less said.

Reaction Score
i can't argue with that uconndogs and won't....'managed'.....but yes that stuff can and does happen anywhere in our society.....I assure you HCKF won't tolerate it...nor should any legit HC.

Hey Nicky, let's not duckk around. That stuff does happen in society. But, five kids charged with assault, battery and robbery, with two of them armed is not something that should happen in a college football program. Something is broken and it happened on Flood's watch.

Reaction Score

The local North Jersey paper has called out Rutgers on one big question - how long has Rutgers known about the police investigation surrounding these 5 players. It has been on going since April. If Rutgers was aware of such, why on earth have these guys been allowed to keep practicing? At least Flood has stolen. Still waiting for Hermann or Barchi to say anything.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/sullivan-rutgers-coach-decides-it-s-time-to-face-facts-1.1404657

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...te-central-florida-college-football/71821076/

All told, Rutgers is the worst athletic department in a power conference and it’s not particularly close. The place is a mess and the football team, which beat Norfolk State 63-13 on Saturday, can do nothing to change the perception that it represents the absolute worst of big-time college sports. And if the results of an investigation into Flood’s conduct reveal the worst, he could be fired any day.

Reaction Score
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...te-central-florida-college-football/71821076/

All told, Rutgers is the worst athletic department in a power conference and it’s not particularly close. The place is a mess and the football team, which beat Norfolk State 63-13 on Saturday, can do nothing to change the perception that it represents the absolute worst of big-time college sports. And if the results of an investigation into Flood’s conduct reveal the worst, he could be fired any day.
yes...i saw that with everyone else in the USA today....were in good company....comparing an AD with schools like NC or PSU'S overall lack of insitutional control and who really cares........whats your point. Join the bandwagon......the SEC laughs at this stuff while RU deals with it. For all the handwringing RU is in the B1G and going to get better. I don't get the obsession with a few of you like on the CUSE board......a 25 hundred post thread on RU....with them though i get it.We hurt them and passed them in FB popularity and with recruits....you guys just made the jump while we were already on the unofficial B1G in waiting list. Be happy for coming so far so fast instead of acting like the jealous privates. After all in a few yrs you'll get where you want to be with class as IMO your now on that list.Instead of crying about others shortcomings highlight your strengths...look at the strained relationship with BC silly reasons...take the high road. I like Temples approach...hire good coaches and just win baby win. Our fanbase was happy for them this weekend not jealous.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nicky - no one is jealous of Rutgers.

It's great you're in the Big Ten and the school cashes checks you will never see, but not one person here would trade our athletic resume for yours.

You've won the war of geography and numbers, but nothing else. You're a good egg, but Rutgers is a s--- show.

Reaction Score
yes...i saw that with everyone else in the USA today....were in good company....comparing an AD with schools like NC or PSU'S overall lack of insitutional control and who really cares...whats your point. Join the bandwagon.the SEC laughs at this stuff while RU deals with it. For all the handwringing RU is in the B1G and going to get better. I don't get the obsession with a few of you like on the CUSE board.a 25 hundred post thread on RU....with them though i get it.We hurt them and passed them in FB popularity and with recruits....you guys just made the jump while we were already on the unofficial B1G in waiting list. Be happy for coming so far so fast instead of acting like the jealous privates. After all in a few yrs you'll get where you want to be with class as IMO your now on that list.Instead of crying about others shortcomings highlight your strengths...look at the strained relationship with BC silly reasons...take the high road. I like Temples approach...hire good coaches and just win baby win. Our fanbase was happy for them this weekend not jealous.
Nicky I am going to ask you this question not as a UCONN fan but as a College Football fan...Are you confident in Julie Herrman that if she had to she would make the right hire for RU to replace Kyle Flood.....and do you think that ANY coach worth his salt as a college football coach would take a job at RU with Barchi and Herrman as his boss? As a UCONN fan I was happy for RU to get into the B1G...hoping that they would pave the way for UCONN down the road. As a college sports fan..specifically college football I was appalled at how Barchi threw Pernetti under the bus...then hired about as inept a candidate for AD as was in the final pool. I wish you guys good luck this season...and I hope for the RU football fan base that Flood makes it through this mess without getting fired. As for the Cuse fan base...they are going to have something to say about ANY other program but their's. they are just background noise..same as Louisville fans.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
To be honest, this might be a blessing in disguise for RU. They can now fire Flood without any sort of backlash and re-hire Greg Schiano. Their fanbase would surely love that and the excitement generated by Schiano's return would overshadow (within their fanbase) some of the Fulmer Cup championship.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that Rutgers is still Rutgers and they are more than capable of turning any sport they play into a laughingstock.

Reaction Score
To be honest, this might be a blessing in disguise for RU. They can now fire Flood without any sort of backlash and re-hire Greg Schiano. Their fanbase would surely love that and the excitement generated by Schiano's return would overshadow (within their fanbase) some of the Fulmer Cup championship.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that Rutgers is still Rutgers and they are more than capable of turning any sport they play into a laughingstock.
IMHO Schiano won't go back there...he has seen what happened to Pernetti...and now to Flood..someone who he is friendly with according to an article I saw last wk. Until they get a AD with some balls...and that won't happen till Barchi goes..and that won't happen till Christie goes...I don't see any coach at all decent taking that job.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think they're stuck with Flood in the same way they were stuck with Jordan after he lied about having a degree.

They logistically just could not fire another human being and create another headline at that point - they had just canned the former coach and the AD and the new AD was running around tripping on her own t-ts. They had to keep him.

I think they're in the same place with Flood. They'll make up a half-assed justification and just pray it all goes away.

Reaction Score
I think they're stuck with Flood in the same way they were stuck with Jordan after he lied about having a degree.

They logistically just could not fire another human being and create another headline at that point - they had just canned the former coach and the AD and the new AD was running around tripping on her own t-ts. They had to keep him.

I think they're in the same place with Flood. They'll make up a half-assed justification and just pray it all goes away.
That is the best case scenario for them right now Fishy...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rutgers gets themselves so f---ed up that having their basketball coach publicly state that he didn't graduate because "he didn't register right" was preferable to firing him. They had to give the stamp of approval to the most inane excuse possible just to keep the bonfire of bad PR from swallowing up the whole campus.

That's where they're at now with Flood. He'll come out and say that he "didn't email right" and they'll head back to the bunker and wait for the next grease fire.

Just for kicks...

"Some of the professors are still around and some are gone, but they all know I was in class and did my work,'' Jordan said. "There was arrogance on my part when I was told I didn't register right, and then I left to (coach at) Old Dominion. I was told my classes were never recorded. I saw a transcript. I will have to find it. I was there and I completed the work. My professors that are still there know that. That's it."

Jordan said he learned after his final semester that he never was officially registered.

"I went back to Rutgers in 1984-85 as a voluntary assistant to complete my studies,'' Jordan said. "I didn't walk. I didn't get a diploma because I wasn't registered right. That's it. I was 28 and didn't take care of my business. It was never an issue.''

A month after firing Mike Rice, that excuse actually flew.

Rutgers - "Well, Eddie, you've clearly taken enough credit to graduate, but you didn't register right."

Eddie - "Do you mean to tell me that I have been here for two years working on completing my studies and now you tell me that I did not register right?!"

Rutgers - "Well, yes. You've used the green form and we prefer the goldenrod. You'll have to retake all of those classes."

Eddie - "GOLDENROD, SCHMOLDENROD! EDDIE IS TAKING HIS TALENTS TO OLD DOMINION!"

For the record, he never found that transcript.

Reaction Score
Nicky I am going to ask you this question not as a UCONN fan but as a College Football fan...Are you confident in Julie Herrman that if she had to she would make the right hire for RU to replace Kyle Flood.....and do you think that ANY coach worth his salt as a college football coach would take a job at RU with Barchi and Herrman as his boss? As a UCONN fan I was happy for RU to get into the B1G...hoping that they would pave the way for UCONN down the road. As a college sports fan..specifically college football I was appalled at how Barchi threw Pernetti under the bus...then hired about as inept a candidate for AD as was in the final pool. I wish you guys good luck this season...and I hope for the RU football fan base that Flood makes it through this mess without getting fired. As for the Cuse fan base...they are going to have something to say about ANY other program but their's. they are just background noise..same as Louisville fans.

Rutgers has a lot of potential. It is in the B1G. It's 40 miles and a 50 minute train ride from Times Square. Its AAU. It's located in a very populous relatively wealthy state. Its located in a territory that provides very good football recruiting and above average basketball recruiting. But, until the University fixes its leadership issues, Rutgers is screwed. Plus, outside of the football stadium, most of their athletic facilities are well below average for the B1G. No big name, even with all advantages, is going to want to coach there. Barchi was hired personally by Christie to manage Rutgers' acquisition of UMDNJ and has no experience in P5 athletics and and shown no interest in it. Pernetti, who was a competent AD, was thrown under the bus to save Barchi's hide because Barchi is untouchable for as long as Christie is Governor of the State. No one has a clue how Hermann was even hired, (maybe the only one who applied?) and has done nothing but attack the press and put her foot in her mouth at every opportunity. She has issued a single, 2 sentence statement about theses arrests since it happened last week. That is insane. I may have asked a former Rutgers guy last spring if he would trust Hermann running our town rec department, never mind a multi-million dollar P5 college athletic business, and he said, 'no.' Also, there is a cadre within the Rutgers' Faculty leadership who not only hate the 'subsidy' that the University gives to the athletic department ($47 million in 2014), which is understandable; but, they believe they are Princeton U North and want to get rid of the athletic department all together. Its a mess.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
After one of the worst offseasons in memory when it comes to issues outside the field of play, Rutgers stands as the symbol for what can go wrong in a college football program when inept people are in charge.

Ouch.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Rutgers makes the B1G money in two ways: AAU research dollars and cable boxes. We all know the mess they bring from an AD standpoint and I think the B1G has quickly learned that they have a high maintenance, low reward athletic department as a member now. But what's done is done. The good news for B1G football: the conference heavyweights can very easily go into NJ and pluck out the top talent because Rutgers poses no threat to Michigan, Ohio St, Penn St, Wisconsin, Mich St, etc. They'll likely face steeper recruiting competition from SEC/ACC schools than Rutgers.

The ironic thing is that if Rutgers ever got their together, canned their AD and hired a half-competentent AD in her stead that brought in a good football coach ($2M-$4M/yr range) and hoops coach ($2M/yr range), they could be successful. But when you see the sun rise each and every morning and it shines on the incompetent RU athletic department that we've all grown fond of mocking, you come to expect to see incompetence every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom