Rutgers just can't have nice things, can they | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Rutgers just can't have nice things, can they

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If this keeps going, the entire Rutroh football team will extras in the next "The Longest Yard" sequel.

Reaction Score
I think it's a good thing Hermann hasn't been heard from yet...although she would definitely speed up the ending to this train wreck by opening her mouth. They are still trying to find Barchi to remind him RU actually has a football team

Barchi's last role was the President of Thomas Jefferson University (TJU) in Philadelphia, which is basically a smaller, more prestigious version of UMDNJ per-merger. It is a private university with 1,000 undergraduates and 800 graduates, and offers about two dozen degrees all in health sciences. The school does not even have an athletic department at any level, just a rec center, which, albeit, does look nicer than the RAC. Rutgers is a state flagship university offering hundreds of degrees in all areas with 45,000 undergraduate and 20,000 graduate students and has a D1 athletic program.

For all intent, this looks like Rutgers bought UMDNJ and then made the UMDNJ the president of the combined entity because of his special knowledge in one area (medical schools). In the corporate world, it would be like Bank of America buying Valley National Bank in Jersey (or Webster bank in CT) and then making the former CEO of Valley National the CEO of all of BoA because of his experience of the banking market in Bergen County. Makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Barchi's last role was the President of Thomas Jefferson University (TJU) in Philadelphia, which is basically a smaller, more prestigious version of UMDNJ per-merger. It is a private university with 1,000 undergraduates and 800 graduates, and offers about two dozen degrees all in health sciences. The school does not even have an athletic department at any level, just a rec center, which, albeit, does look nicer than the RAC. Rutgers is a state flagship university offering hundreds of degrees in all areas with 45,000 undergraduate and 20,000 graduate students and has a D1 athletic program.

For all intent, this looks like Rutgers bought UMDNJ and then made the UMDNJ the president of the combined entity because of his special knowledge in one area (medical schools). In the corporate world, it would be like Bank of America buying Valley National Bank in Jersey (or Webster bank in CT) and then making the former CEO of Valley National the CEO of all of BoA because of his experience of the banking market in Bergen County. Makes no sense.

Yeah, this is kind of like the tail and hind legs wagging/walking the dog. Medical schools and health centers are massive, expensive entities that offer far more than just education and research. I think UConn's health center budget is something like 70% of the size of the rest of the University's budget. I can see why a med school could be a free standing public entity unrelated to any given college or university (Oregon has a similar one), but I'm not sure why Jersey felt the need to fold theirs into Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this is kind of like the tail and hind legs wagging/walking the dog. Medical schools and health centers are massive, expensive entities that offer far more than just education and research. I think UConn's health center budget is something like 70% of the size of the rest of the University's budget. I can see why a med school could be a free standing public entity unrelated to any given college or university (Oregon has a similar one), but I'm not sure why Jersey felt the need to fold theirs into Rutgers.

I can't find the story right now; but, if memory serves, Rutgers wanted access to the research side of the medical school (the state wanted it too to bolster the state's decline as a leader in the pharmaceutical field) and the state wanted to offload the financial albatross that Newark's University Hospital is (Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick is the other hospital that Rutgers got as part of the deal). Of course there were politics, too. Christie did not get along with UMDNJ's union and this was a way to screw them. Plus, to gain the votes needed to approve this merger, Christie gave NJ Senate President Steve Sweeney Cooper Medical School and the School of Osteopathic Medicine to Rowan University as Sweeney has been pushing hard to create a second major research university in South Jersey (Rutgers is as center in Jersey as one can get, so not sure why he feels that Rutgers is a North Jersey institution). Afterall, it's Jersey...

Reaction Score

Christie seemed to think Barchi was indispensable in this role but IMO he's been out of his element as a figurehead....a disaster to the AD. We loved Mulcahy and Tim Pernetti so why tamper with success for a JH to appease the unappeasable.

Reaction Score
I can't find the story right now; but, if memory serves, Rutgers wanted access to the research side of the medical school (the state wanted it too to bolster the state's decline as a leader in the pharmaceutical field) and the state wanted to offload the financial albatross that Newark's University Hospital is (Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick is the other hospital that Rutgers got as part of the deal). Of course there were politics, too. Christie did not get along with UMDNJ's union and this was a way to screw them. Plus, to gain the votes needed to approve this merger, Christie gave NJ Senate President Steve Sweeney Cooper Medical School and the School of Osteopathic Medicine to Rowan University as Sweeney has been pushing hard to create a second major research university in South Jersey (Rutgers is as center in Jersey as one can get, so not sure why he feels that Rutgers is a North Jersey institution). Afterall, it's Jersey...
Isn't UMDNJ a sort of reaquisition.....wasn't it part of RU awhile back. Everything in Jersey is a political FB. Sighh..

Reaction Score
Isn't UMDNJ a sort of reaquisition.....wasn't it part of RU awhile back. Everything in Jersey is a political FB. Sighh..

UMDNJ was actually Seton Hall medical before Seton Hall spun it off as a stand-along entity when it was then acquired by the state. In an ironic twist, Seton Hall going full circle and is preparing to open a new medical school at the old Roche campus in Nutley and will be using Hacksensack hospital as it's main medical center.

Reaction Score
UMDNJ was actually Seton Hall medical before Seton Hall spun it off as a stand-along entity when it was then acquired by the state. In an ironic twist, Seton Hall going full circle and is preparing to open a new medical school at the old Roche campus in Nutley and will be using Hacksensack hospital as it's main medical center.
I remember as a young kid growing up in North Newark a Rutgers Dentistry school near the Boys Club of America where i used to swim....not there as Rutgers since sometime around the late 60s..early 70s..no relation to UMDNJ......question..my question mark keys not functioning.

Reaction Score
I remember as a young kid growing up in North Newark a Rutgers Dentistry school near the Boys Club of America where i used to swim....not there as Rutgers since sometime around the late 60s..early 70s..no relation to UMDNJ.question..my question mark keys not functioning.

From an article in the Newark newspaper from a few years back. UMDNJ has a very convoluted history of which part did come from Seton Hall.

"Like many things in New Jersey, the current system of medical education developed in a different way than it had in other states – and in a manner that often sparked controversy. But when the legislature called for the creation of a medical school in 1951, it was seeking to overcome some of the same issues the state now faces -- including a lack of primary care physicians and a desire to attract more medical research funds.

Three years later the first medical program was launched by a private school, Seton Hall University, with ties to Jersey City Medical Center. When funding and governance problems arose a decade later, the state took over the program. In 1967 the school was renamed the New Jersey College of Medicine and Dentistry and moved to Newark as part of a massive urban renewal project that had caused riots when it was announced a few years earlier.

Meanwhile, in 1966 Rutgers started its own, two-year medical science program called the Rutgers Medical School. But this program had few students and lacked a clinical component, so in 1970 the legislature merged its medical and dentistry college in Newark with the Rutgers’ medical program and create a new, standalone medical and dental school with its own governance. In 1981 the program was renamed the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey."

Reaction Score
No he didnt...he sent him in his place and never had any interest in the pro's...I know...i followed it closely...your wrong he advised against it...he sent him.

Sorry but you are wrong. Joe took the job with the Patriots which included an ownership stake that would have made him boatloads more cash after coaching. In the end his heart wasn't in it and he stayed with PSU. As for Andersen agree to disagree. Joe respected Rutgers as an academic institution but he understood the problems present on the athletic side that made success there incredibly difficult.

Reaction Score
Dana O'Neil ‏@ESPNDanaOneil · 43m43 minutes ago
To recap Rutgers recent history: strip FT game, Julie Hermann mess, Mike Rice, Fred Hill, change grade email, home invasion... Big Ten
Unbelievable. Came out smelling like a full bouquet of roses.

Reaction Score
Sorry but you are wrong. Joe took the job with the Patriots which included an ownership stake that would have made him boatloads more cash after coaching. In the end his heart wasn't in it and he stayed with PSU. As for Andersen agree to disagree. Joe respected Rutgers as an academic institution but he understood the problems present on the athletic side that made success there incredibly difficult.
Don't apologize but you're wrong....he did advise Dick Anderson to take the job and he did..I followed that story very closely in the 80s in the local newspapers...as for Jopa i doubt he wanted to leave Happy Valley for any job as it seems he liked getting out of the city and his family was content though i doubt he feared a challenge.....athletic side....RU always wavered on bigtime or not....2 sides to that coin if everyone cooperates.....Alabama/Tenn/or PSU 1 week...Colgate or Princeton the next....look what a little cooperation did for Schiano...night and day from Shea to Schiano...vision and cooperation. Joe always from way back hoped RU would be part of the BiG quite publically. You seem pretty smart...go back to the NYC/NJ articles of the time...no secret. I think it was Dick Anderson who was content in Happy V and Joe convinced him to take the job. I did'nt really think he fit in in NJ though..a little stiff and straight laced and always wore a fedora and had a pockmarked face....demanded the kids wear suit and ties to games though he did beat his mentor in 88...Don't know why the RU AD wanted a part of PSU's staff instead of a proven HC though....must have been some kind of old relationship and respect there.As far as the Pats...I had no interest in that....been following RU since 62....Bateman,Burns etc.

Reaction Score
oh i see what you did....and as you see he really didn't have need or interest in the pro's..he backed out. More likely the pro's were interested in him and greedy agents tried to lure him with money but i don't believe he was motivated like many today by greed....old school white socks Jopa.

Reaction Score
I think that the P5 teams that Rutgers will beat this year are Kansas, Indiana, and maybe Penn State.

After seeing Washington State lose to Portland State last week, I thought that Rutgers would win this game at home...close, but no win.

Kansas is awful. They just lost to Memphis by 30 points and may not win a game this year (they have averaged fewer than 3 wins a year over the last five seasons)..a "W" for Rutgers.

Indiana just beat FIU...although Indiana is coming off of a string of seven losing seasons, they showed some life against a team like FIU...still, a "W' for Rutgers.

Penn State....lost to Temple but seems to be have been improving in their win over Buffalo....a toss up in who I would take vs Rutgers.

Reaction Score
Don't apologize but you're wrong....he did advise Dick Anderson to take the job and he did..I followed that story very closely in the 80s in the local newspapers...as for Jopa i doubt he wanted to leave Happy Valley for any job as it seems he liked getting out of the city and his family was content though i doubt he feared a challenge.....athletic side....RU always wavered on bigtime or not....2 sides to that coin if everyone cooperates.....Alabama/Tenn/or PSU 1 week...Colgate or Princeton the next....look what a little cooperation did for Schiano...night and day from Shea to Schiano...vision and cooperation. Joe always from way back hoped RU would be part of the BiG quite publically. You seem pretty smart...go back to the NYC/NJ articles of the time...no secret. I think it was Dick Anderson who was content in Happy V and Joe convinced him to take the job. I did'nt really think he fit in in NJ though..a little stiff and straight laced and always wore a fedora and had a pockmarked face....demanded the kids wear suit and ties to games though he did beat his mentor in 88...Don't know why the RU AD wanted a part of PSU's staff instead of a proven HC though....must have been some kind of old relationship and respect there.As far as the Pats...I had no interest in that....been following RU since 62....Bateman,Burns etc.

Obviously he was attempting to interject a winning culture at RU. He copied much of what Joe was doing at PSU for decades. Do you honestly believe that 80's era Rutgers could have landed a proven head coach? They were a low level program and as such they went the route most of these programs do by hiring an assistant from a top program.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Another suspension. This time WR Leonte Carroo is suspended indefinitely for an incident that happened outside the stadium after the game yesterday. Flood won't comment until the investigation is complete.

Link

Reaction Score
Another suspension. This time WR Leonte Carroo is suspended indefinitely for an incident that happened outside the stadium after the game yesterday. Flood won't comment until the investigation is complete.

Link
I don't know what happened, but Nicky will assure you, whatever happened happens everywhere.

Reaction Score

Link

The most amazing thing about that link?

They called Rutgers's loss to Washington State "shocking." Really?

Reaction Score
Read last night, the rumor is he punched a female. :(

Hope not true.

Reaction Score
Read last night, the rumor is he punched a female. :(

Hope not true.

Seems like there was a mass fight after the game outside the stadium...near the football offices.

From a Jaconb Thorpe, beat reporter's" tweet...

"Was in football building near Carroo last night with fights going on outside. A teammate told him to stay in."

Reaction Score
The Record is adding more wood to the bonfire that Rutgers football has become...

http://www.northjersey.com/news/sullivan-more-salt-for-rutgers-wounds-1.1409237

"If ever Flood’s Rutgers players needed to hear and heed his message, it was after Saturday night’s disappointing loss to Washington State — not so much because of the last-second loss, but because of the long-running string of problems plaguing the program. And still they do not listen."

"How can Flood survive the undertow now?"

The last few weeks (never mind the last few years) have once again turned Rutgers into a national punch line..."

"The overmatched athletic director (Julie Hermann’s representative replied to multiple emails by finally admitting she had “no immediate comment” on the suspension) and the shortsighted president (Robert Barchi continues to let this travesty of athletic leadership go on) might well try to wait this out the way they have the email investigation now heading into its fourth week. But when is enough enough? What more has to happen before somebody does something?"
And before anyone jumps to Rutgers defense, which I understand as I know quite a few good kids who are at Rutgers from my town, I know that will have ZERO impact on Rutgers participation in the B1G. After Christie goes (nothing will happen to Barchi and Hermann until that happens), I do see the B1G whispering very strongly into Rutgers ear about who they should hire and what they need to fix this as any team/conference is only as strong as it's weakest member and right now, that's Rutgers by a considerable margin.

Reaction Score
Obviously he was attempting to interject a winning culture at RU. He copied much of what Joe was doing at PSU for decades. Do you honestly believe that 80's era Rutgers could have landed a proven head coach? They were a low level program and as such they went the route most of these programs do by hiring an assistant from a top program.
No at the time they were competeing with UR/2 star recruits and competeing well...did some damage to Tenn/UF/PSU and Bear Bryant swore he'd never return to NYC/NJ after nearly losing to this uncommitted school who 1 week would play Colgate or Villanova and the next a Tennessee...they'd been going half in for too long and competing with D2 type players.....its no secret what some investing into the 2 major sports would do...I think they should invest big and wisely in the next FB coach to take what Schiano started to the next level...good for eastern FB and certainly RU. PSU shouldnt be the only perceived power team in the NE....It's unhealthy for the game to have so much power concentrated in 1 or 2 regions longterm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom