• We got no choice

Votes: 305 46.9%
  • Stay in the Big East

Votes: 251 38.6%
  • Are we there yet?

Votes: 94 14.5%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
I'm just hoping both Arizona schools fall through.

Well, there's only one spot and AZ and AZ State are commonly viewed as a package deal since they share the same board of regents.

Publicly they claim solidarity but privately AZ wants to move on without the other.

If the board seems to keep both tied to the PAC 12, we'll get the 14th spot.

There's a special meeting at 3pm AZ time today to discuss a certain matter, my guess is they will have a final discussion on this. We know what AZ wants, will the board let it happen? Stay tuned.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Well, there's only one spot and AZ and AZ State are commonly viewed as a package deal since they share the same board of regents.

Publicly they claim solidarity but privately AZ wants to move on without the other.

If the board seems to keep both tied to the PAC 12, we'll get the 14th spot.

There's a special meeting at 3pm AZ time today to discuss a certain matter, my guess is they will have a final discussion on this. We know what AZ wants, will the board let it happen? Stay tuned.
There are reports that there is one spot. There are reports that there are three spots. We have no idea which reports are true.

The most plausible report I saw said that the contract gives the Big XII four more additions at full payout. It also said that given that ESPN is bleeding $, they asked the Big XII not to use all of them right now.

Reaction Score
Or both join, either way works
I really wish we had a better idea of BY’s end game conference. 16 or 20? We’ve all heard his dream of establishing a Big XII (basketball) stronghold in NYC.

Those rumors of AZ, ASU, and UT don’t support that at all.

Does taking AZ and ASU (and us) damage the PAC enough to start a whole new round of P5 realignment opening up ACC candidates? We would greatly help with NYC but is that enough?

Is his end game 20 or more? ACC falls apart then grab Syracuse, Pitt, Duke, others? That would shore up NYC.

Reaction Score
There are reports that there is one spot. There are reports that there are three spots. We have no idea which reports are true.

The most plausible report I saw said that the contract gives the Big XII four more additions at full payout. It also said that given that ESPN is bleeding $, they asked the Big XII not to use all of them right now.

There are more spots, we all know that 14 is not an optional number scheduling wise, but Yormark has stated that they will stop at 14. Why? I think it's because he really doesn't want AZ State.

He wants AZ only and if he can't break them apart, he'll reach out to UConn and tell the Big 12 presidents that he tried.

Two more spots will open and my guess, if I'm right, that spot will be filled with another team quickly with one remaining spot left and AZ will have another chance to go into the Big 12, but without AZ State

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
There are more spots, we all know that 14 is not an optional number scheduling wise, but Yormark has stated that they will stop at 14. Why? I think it's because he really doesn't want AZ State.

He wants AZ only and if he can't break them apart, he'll reach out to UConn and tell the Big 12 presidents that he tried.

Two more spots will open and my guess, if I'm right, that spot will be filled with another team quickly with one remaining spot left and AZ will have another chance to go into the Big 12, but without AZ State
He has not stated this that I have seen. Show me the statement.

Reaction Score
He has not stated this that I have seen. Show me the statement.

From a July 2023 article

I’d like to stay at 14, even with the departures of Texas and Oklahoma, candidly,” Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark said

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
From a July 2023 article

I’d like to stay at 14, even with the departures of Texas and Oklahoma, candidly,” Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark said
That is stale and what he's saying is that he doesn't want to be just at 12 when OU and UT leave. "Stay" at 14 means go up from 12->14 by adding. It's not a limitation on even more additions and what happened with the PAC has changed things.

Reaction Score
That is stale and what he's saying is that he doesn't want to be just at 12 when OU and UT leave. "Stay" at 14 means go up from 12->14 by adding. It's not a limitation on even more additions and what happened with the PAC has changed things.
Am I the only one who remembers the scene from Annie Hall, where someone is arguing with Marshall McLuhan about what Marshall McLuhan's position is on something? Because I think Husky Hawk asked for proof that BY had said something, got it, and just decided that it was o.k. for him to ignore the quote because he knew BY wouldn't say it again today.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who remembers the scene from Annie Hall, where someone is arguing with Marshall McLuhan about what Marshall McLuhan's position is on something? Because I think Husky Hawk asked for proof that BY had said something, got it, and just decided that it was o.k. for him to ignore the quote because he knew BY wouldn't say it again today.
No. Because we are not 100 years old.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
That scene was in a line at a bank or something, no? It was funny.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
No, because @B1GEast t said Yormark said that they would "stop at 14". Yormark did not say that. He said. “I’d like to stay at 14, even with the departures of Texas and Oklahoma, candidly,” Big 12 commissioner Brett Yormark said. “We’ll see if that’s a possibility or not.”

Meaning that the Big XII would get back to 14 (not 12) when OU and UT leave. It's completely out of context for the current situation that Yormark didn't envision in June where he can not only get to 14 but go beyond it. We have multiple mixed inside reports that the league wants 14 or wants 16. We know it doesn't want 12, which is what the quote was about.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom