Poll - Which Conference Do You Favor for UConn? | The Boneyard

Poll - Which Conference Do You Favor for UConn?

Which conference do you favor the most for UConn to join?

• Big 12

Votes: 42 11.7%
  • SEC

Votes: 17 4.7%
  • Big 10

Votes: 142 39.6%
  • ACC

Votes: 93 25.9%
  • Big East

Votes: 60 16.7%
  • Other (name it below)

Votes: 5 1.4%

• Total voters

sun

Reaction Score
I haven't seen any official Big 12 announcement of a vote taken for or against UConn being invited to join it, only a Tweet saying that it was denied.
However if given a choice, which conference do you favor the most for UConn to join?

Reaction Score
If the Big 10 ever got around to making an offer to UConn, that would be AWESOME!! Maryland and UConn. Throw in Indiana, Iowa, and Ohio State. Michigan & Minnesota. Nice

My other option would have been the ACC. They got some heavyweights as well.

Reaction Score
For selfish reasons I would prefer the B1G since that would guarantee games against the Terrapins at College Park. This is the closest venue for me to attend games. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

Reaction Score
If the Big 10 ever got around to making an offer to UConn, that would be AWESOME!! Maryland and UConn. Throw in Indiana, Iowa, and Ohio State. Michigan & Minnesota. Nice

My other option would have been the ACC. They got some heavyweights as well.
Don’t forget the Rugrats.

Reaction Score
For selfish reasons I would prefer the B1G since that would guarantee games against the Terrapins at College Park. This is the closest venue for me to attend games. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.
These aren't selfish. UCONN is never going to be in the SEC and that conference, along with The B1G are the two gargantuans and will be the only two left standing when the dust settles. They're going to poach the ACC. The Big 12 will survive, but will be the little sister to the two others with the rejects the ACC doesn't want and some of the Pac 12 schools.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think competitively the ACC is the best fit across sports - strength on strength. Financially the B10 is probably better. Travel wise they are similar. Academics are also pretty similar.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In the past I thought that the ACC was best for us, but based on recent movement and commentary, I believe the BIG is the most solvent option for UConn.
Ditto!!! I was thinking the ACC......................BUT, I say follow the biggest conference member paydays if given a choice. Member school allotments are a lot larger in the B1G than the ACC. The B1G is healthy, very attractive to potential advertisers, solvent and not going anywhere.

Looking at the B1G from a basketball point of view. Neither of our teams would have a problem with B1G conference competition.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I voted for the ACC but can't think of any compelling reasons why any of the conferences would want UConn to join them. Football pays the bills and UConn football isn't going to be of much help there. UConn basketball, both men's and women's, would strengthen any of those conferences although on the women's side some of the existing teams might not want to forget about winning a conference championship and have a few extra losses every year. As is the UConn profile is closer to Big East material, at least for now.

Reaction Score
Football is the engine that runs the Sportsworld in college. Syracuse was the last Northeast school, I believe in 1959, to win a national championship. The only other school to even be on the radar is Boston College and I can't remember the last time they made the top 10. Uconn is now, and has always been, a basketball school and please don't tell me about one major bowl game in it's entire history where they were barely in the game. We should be justly proud of our basketball team, support them in every way possible and be happy we have them instead of wanting to get into some conference where we will have to spend an outrageous amount of money which will probably have to come from other sports and still be mediocre.

Reaction Score
The ACC is a basketball conference historically. If they wrote about the biggest moments in ACC sports it would be about NC & Duke basketball. In the SEC and B1G it's all about football.

Reaction Score
The Big10 (er, 15) is interestingly competitive and won’t require a whole lot more travel than we already face. Our football team will be a bottom feeder there, but our basketball teams will dominate.
They can join Northwestern and my home state team (Minnesota) as bottom feeders of the conference, in football. But basketball, especially on the women's side, talk about raising the bar! Oooooweee!!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
ACC. I don't care about the money; I favor a regional conference to reduce travel and minimize pollution.

I'm also still pissed at Maryland for going to the B1G.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You need another box for quote which ever conference actually offers us." It's not like we can go up to big 10 headquarters and go hey we thought about it heck we even had a Boneyard poll we've decided that we are joining your conference!

So, based on your question "which conference would I prefer you come to join" I answer the big 10. But if your poll was "which conference do you think Connecticut has a realistic chance to join in the reasonably near future", my answer would've been big 12.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Football is the engine that runs the Sportsworld in college. Syracuse was the last Northeast school, I believe in 1959, to win a national championship. The only other school to even be on the radar is Boston College and I can't remember the last time they made the top 10. Uconn is now, and has always been, a basketball school and please don't tell me about one major bowl game in its entire history where they were barely in the game. We should be justly proud of our basketball team, support them in every way possible and be happy we have them instead of wanting to get into some conference where we will have to spend an outrageous amount of money which will probably have to come from other sports and still be mediocre.
Lol, I can kind of tell you're not a football fan. Connecticut football history is far more than you portray it. For what it's worth the Fiesta Bowl was within a couple of touchdowns in the last quarter. At that point the size and athleticism difference got to us and we wrote down.

Reaction Score
Lol, I can kind of tell you're not a football fan. Connecticut football history is far more than you portray it. For what it's worth the Fiesta Bowl was within a couple of touchdowns in the last quarter. At that point the size and athleticism difference got to us and we wrote down.
And lest us not forget that UConn is undefeated against Notre Dame and we did it in their house. How many schools can claim that? Notre Dame was afraid to fulfill the home and home. Can't say I blame them (who am I kidding, yes I can).

Reaction Score
I voted for the ACC but can't think of any compelling reasons why any of the conferences would want UConn to join them. Football pays the bills and UConn football isn't going to be of much help there. UConn basketball, both men's and women's, would strengthen any of those conferences although on the women's side some of the existing teams might not want to forget about winning a conference championship and have a few extra losses every year. As is the UConn profile is closer to Big East material, at least for now.
I’ll take the UConn profile over Rutgers, Maryland, or Minnesota any day. Also, not sure but I think I heard a rumor about the Big 12 commissioner having several reasons why he might want to invite UConn.

Reaction Score
Football is the engine that runs the Sportsworld in college. Syracuse was the last Northeast school, I believe in 1959, to win a national championship. The only other school to even be on the radar is Boston College and I can't remember the last time they made the top 10. Uconn is now, and has always been, a basketball school and please don't tell me about one major bowl game in it's entire history where they were barely in the game. We should be justly proud of our basketball team, support them in every way possible and be happy we have them instead of wanting to get into some conference where we will have to spend an outrageous amount of money which will probably have to come from other sports and still be mediocre.
With all the longterm health issues in football, maybe it becomes less of a driver. Look at NBA salaries vs NFL. Where do the best athletes go now?

Reaction Score
Really? Read your last sentence. It sums my explanation perfectly.

Reaction Score
And lest us not forget that UConn is undefeated against Notre Dame and we did it in their house. How many schools can claim that? Notre Dame was afraid to fulfill the home and home. Can't say I blame them (who am I kidding, yes I can).
I've seen some clutching at straws but your analogy.might be the best.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I favor the Yankee Conference. Natural rivalries, short trips to away games. What could be better? Not exactly kidding.

If i had to pick a conference that is good for all the major sports and has at least one “local” rival, it would be the Big Amorphous formerly known as the Big 10. Plus 2 of my sons went to Big 10 schools and one of them now lives very close to one of our historic natural rivals, UCLA.

I find myself turned off by the whole thing.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A little reminder for those who want the ACC. First, the ACC's GOR is going to prohibit any new members because no one is leaving. The GOR expires in 2036. There are several ACC teams, Clemson, FSU, Miami, VT and others who want out now. They haven't figured out how to break the GOR. The financial penalties are way to big.

If and when the ACC breaks apart, Clemson and FSU will go to the SEC. Virginia and North Carolina will be grabbed by the B 10. That lines up good for Maryland. At this point, the ACC is a dead man walking.

So you want to wait for an ACC invite. You would pass up a Big 12 bid to wait 13 years for the ACC. Good luck with that. The Big 10 will not come calling.

The days of regional conferences are dead and gone.

If the Big 12 extends an invite, we go!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom