Point Guard Duty Next Year? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Point Guard Duty Next Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nah. IMO she doesn't "need" to start in order to be a stud. Starting isn't important for a frosh. IMO she'll be a stud whether she starts or doesn't. Nor does she need to run the team when she is in all the time. Kia Nurse is a good pg.
Can't argue with that. Kia IS a stud. Should be a great partnership for a couple years.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I think Kia Nurse would do great at PG next year. I know Dangerfield is great, but I really don't think her acclimation to the college game will be so easy that she starts on day one.. Moriah Jefferson, as great as she is, wasn't even capable of that. But I don't think PG will be your biggest problem next year.. UCONN has multiple players with the skills necessary to carry out that role. You guys have flexibility because you have so many players that can play multiple positions. I think you can comfortably place Katie Lou anywhere between 2-4 for most teams. She would struggle at 4 against the bigger, more elite teams. To me, she's your prototypical 3, except with more size which makes her a matchup problem.. and we all know Geno is the master of exploiting matchup problems. Nurse at PG, Chong at 2, KLS at 3, Williams at 4, and Butler :)eek:) at C.

Allow me to segue here.. I know this is a PG thread and I'm a visiting fan so my opinion is probably of very little value.. but I watch UCONN more than probably most fans of opposing teams and just let me say, I really don't think Butler is the Center you guys need. I understand that you work with what you have but still.. she needs A LOT of work. I was skeptical of her early when she was receiving so much praise and figured she would struggle to get up to UCONN's speed of play. Unless she has a completely amazing offseason and just revamps her game.. I don't see her being the post you guys will need. With Butler in, you all lose so much versatility because not only is she a static player but she also lacks the weapons you guys are so used to getting from your post players lately... and that's the thing I've always admired about UCONN.. the ability of the starting five to play all over the floor.

Unless Geno moves to a more traditional offense then I don't see Butler being the player you guys really need in the paint. But that's just me.. I'm sure many of you disagree.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Allow me to segue here.. I know this is a PG thread and I'm a visiting fan so my opinion is probably of very little value.. but I watch UCONN more than probably most fans of opposing teams and just let me say, I really don't think Butler is the Center you guys need. I understand that you work with what you have but still.. she needs A LOT of work. I was skeptical of her early when she was receiving so much praise and figured she would struggle to get up to UCONN's speed of play. Unless she has a completely amazing offseason and just revamps her game.. I don't see her being the post you guys will need. With Butler in, you all lose so much versatility because not only is she a static player but she also lacks the weapons you guys are so used to getting from your post players lately... and that's the thing I've always admired about UCONN.. the ability of the starting five to play all over the floor.

Unless Geno moves to a more traditional offense then I don't see Butler being the player you guys really need in the paint. But that's just me.. I'm sure many of you disagree.
well said

Bulter also has a year of practice under her belt while sitting out, going up against Stokes every day

Reaction Score
I think Kia Nurse would do great at PG next year. I know Dangerfield is great, but I really don't think her acclimation to the college game will be so easy that she starts on day one.. Moriah Jefferson, as great as she is, wasn't even capable of that. But I don't think PG will be your biggest problem next year.. UCONN has multiple players with the skills necessary to carry out that role. You guys have flexibility because you have so many players that can play multiple positions. I think you can comfortably place Katie Lou anywhere between 2-4 for most teams. She would struggle at 4 against the bigger, more elite teams. To me, she's your prototypical 3, except with more size which makes her a matchup problem.. and we all know Geno is the master of exploiting matchup problems. Nurse at PG, Chong at 2, KLS at 3, Williams at 4, and Butler :)eek:) at C.

These questions aren't meant to "argue" -- yet. Just asking "why?"

1-- If you don't see Butler as that good at all, then why would UCONN move to a more traditional offense as you suggest and not one that is more versatile? UCONN is going to deliberately "play down?" I guess I don't fully understand what you mean by "traditional." Because as of next year - UCONN has FIVE basketball players that most likely will excel in playing fast pace. GW/NC/KLS/KN/CD.

2-- How important is starting when it comes to Danger? Regarding her acclimation into the college game, why use MoJeff as the comparison and not Bria Hartley?

3-- Do you think by the end of next year, Danger as a pg will be superior to any one of South Carolina's point guards?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
These questions aren't meant to "argue" -- yet. Just asking "why?"

1-- If you don't see Butler as that good at all, then why would UCONN move to a more traditional offense as you suggest and not one that is more versatile? UCONN is going to deliberately "play down?" I guess I don't fully understand what you mean by "traditional." Because as of next year - UCONN has FIVE basketball players that most likely will excel in playing fast pace. GW/NC/KLS/KN/CD.

2-- How important is starting when it comes to Danger? Regarding her acclimation into the college game, why use MoJeff as the comparison and not Bria Hartley?

3-- Do you think by the end of next year, Danger as a pg will be superior to any one of South Carolina's point guards?

1. I think language is important here. I never said Butler is "not that good"... what I said was that she's not the post player that UCONN needs and is accustomed to this year offensively. Because she's so static, it may lead to Geno changing his offense if she's to start at Center. I'm not a coach, so maybe Geno sees something in Butler that I don't see when I watch her at game speed. He's the one with her at practice not me, so if he decided to play Butler at Center next year then that doesn't necessarily mean he's "playing down"., it could mean he really sees potential in Butler that I'm currently not aware of. Butler is a traditional center, much like our own Alaina Coates. When I speak of offense in this case, pretend that I'm talking about the player positions. If Butler starts for UCONN next year then that offense is PROBABLY going to look more traditional than the one that currently starts for UCONN. We start a very traditional roster.. Baylor is another elite team that starts a very traditional roster. Maryland does as well. To me, a traditional offensive roster is PG, SG, SF, PF, C... currently, correct me if I'm wrong, but UCONN starts a PG (Jefferson), SG (nurse), SF (Samuelson, who's also a Wing and better ball handler than her height would suggest), W/PF (Stewart, who can really play anywhere) and Tuck (PF/C, who can also play outside at times). You see what I'm saying? That versatility in the 3-5 positions allows so much offensive creativity, you have players that can play all over the floor... they can literally switch positions within a play and it would still work flawlessly. If that starting lineup for next year comes from the group you gave me then you have CD (pg), KN (sg), KLS (sf), GW (an undersized but good PF in my eyes), and NC (I guess a W/PF?). So I guess that's still versatile... But my entire point in my original post was how you'd lose a lot of versatility at PF/C if you have Butler starting at Center next year because she's a traditional center. I also said, "unless she revamps her game"... for what it's worth..

2. I used Moriah Jefferson because she was also very highly ranked within her class. While Hartley was highly ranked as well, I don't recall her being a consensus top 5 player. Moriah Jefferson was (I think?). Crystal Dangerfield is. So that comparison made much more sense.

3. No... but then again, who knows. I could be wrong, it won't be the first time. It's really difficult to determine how quickly a player, even a highly ranked player, is going to acclimate to college.

Wilson was a top recruit and while she did have a pretty good freshmen year, in my eyes the game didn't really come to her until this year. That doesn't take anything away from Wilson, she's still great, there's just obviously an adjustment period coming from high school/AAU and going to high level D1 college ball. Same for Dangerfield, she's very highly praised and if she comes in and doesn't win the starting spot it won't be because she's not good, it'll be because she's adjusting..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. I think language is important here. I never said Butler is "not that good"... what I said was that she's not the post player that UCONN needs and is accustomed to this year offensively. Because she's so static, it may lead to Geno changing his offense if she's to start at Center. I'm not a coach, so maybe Geno sees something in Butler that I don't see when I watch her at game speed. He's the one with her at practice not me, so if he decided to play Butler at Center next year then that doesn't necessarily mean he's "playing down"., it could mean he really sees potential in Butler that I'm currently not aware of. Butler is a traditional center, much like our own Alaina Coates. When I speak of offense in this case, pretend that I'm talking about the player positions. If Butler starts for UCONN next year then that offense is PROBABLY going to look more traditional than the one that currently starts for UCONN. We start a very traditional roster.. Baylor is another elite team that starts a very traditional roster. Maryland does as well. To me, a traditional offensive roster is PG, SG, SF, PF, C... currently, correct me if I'm wrong, but UCONN starts a PG (Jefferson), SG (nurse), SF (Samuelson, who's also a Wing and better ball handler than her height would suggest), W/PF (Stewart, who can really play anywhere) and Tuck (PF/C, who can also play outside at times). You see what I'm saying? That versatility in the 3-5 positions allows so much offensive creativity, you have players that can play all over the floor... they can literally switch positions within a play and it would still work flawlessly. If that starting lineup for next year comes from the group you gave me then you have CD (pg), KN (sg), KLS (sf), GW (an undersized but good PF in my eyes), and NC (I guess a W/PF?). So I guess that's still versatile... But my entire point in my original post was how you'd lose a lot of versatility at PF/C if you have Butler starting at Center next year because she's a traditional center. I also said, "unless she revamps her game"... for what it's worth..

2. I used Moriah Jefferson because she was also very highly ranked within her class. While Hartley was highly ranked as well, I don't recall her being a consensus top 5 player. Moriah Jefferson was (I think?). Crystal Dangerfield is. So that comparison made much more sense.

3. No... but then again, who knows. I could be wrong, it won't be the first time. It's really difficult to determine how quickly a player, even a highly ranked player, is going to acclimate to college.

Wilson was a top recruit and while she did have a pretty good freshmen year, in my eyes the game didn't really come to her until this year. That doesn't take anything away from Wilson, she's still great, there's just obviously an adjustment period coming from high school/AAU and going to high level D1 college ball. Same for Dangerfield, she's very highly praised and if she comes in and doesn't win the starting spot it won't be because she's not good, it'll be because she's adjusting..

I have to go - can't read the whole thing right now- but as I said I wasn't arguing with you-- yet. I will add if Butler can't play at a fast pace- then she isn't that good. I don't mean she needs to be "running fast." But I mean making quick decisions with the ball or movement without the ball and set picks to free up KLS without committing fouls and slowing own the game. Same on the defense. If she is foul prone she will slow down the pace of the game.

Thanks for the reply will read when I come back.

Good luck to your team.

Reaction Score
In preseason before the thumb injury UCONN coaches and players raved about Natalie Butler, her weight loss, her touch, quick feet, etc. and they compared her to Stef Dolson's style of play! So if they saw that much talent she can play UCONN's usual style of up the court, hustle and out-work the opposition.
Give her an injury free off season & pre season and Natalie will shine and be a valuable piece to the UCONN puzzle!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I have to go - can't read the whole thing right now- but as I said I wasn't arguing with you-- yet. I will add if Butler can't play at a fast pace- then she isn't that good. I don't mean she needs to be "running fast." But I mean making quick decisions with the ball or movement without the ball and set picks to free up KLS without committing fouls and slowing own the game. Same on the defense. If she is foul prone she will slow down the pace of the game.

Thanks for the reply will read when I come back.

Good luck to your team.

Of course. No problem, I'm not being snarky or anything at all, that's just an unbiased opinion of Butler from a non-UCONN fans perspective.

Reaction Score
I'm a broken record on this. Lou will run the offense, perhaps from point or from #2 guard (depending on where Geno wants Kia) for the first half the season or until Crystal's ready.

You really are a broken record. There is absolutely no chance Lou will run the offense. She will play mostly at the 4 and the 3. She doesn't have point guard or 2 guard skills--her handle isn't nearly good enough. The guards will be Nurse and either Chong or Dangerfield. Chong should be recovered from the I Band injury and should be able to play without pain. Dangerfield is
going to be the point guard for most of her 4 years. She might have to wait a dozen games before taking over in her freshman year.

Reaction Score
This is a great thread. Lots of real insight and nuance. After reading all the solid posts I have some humble opinions:
*Chong would be a better two guard than a point (playing with Nurse) because her number one skill is shooting. However, Nurse and Chong could switch back and forth throughout the game.
*Why Chong might not start? As mentioned above Geno loves versatility and multi-skilled players. Chong still hesitates on passing, unsure of driving and makes some poor decisions on defense. Her handle is also average. She has quickness and a good shot. Ekmark is similar to Chong. Her strength is her shot. The other skills are undeveloped. Crystal seems to have more all around PG skills. Remember, Crystal played the U-19 Worlds with Wilson, Collier, etc. and did very well. (For comparison with young players, Cox sat on the bench!)
*If Tuck is back I don't see Crystal playing as early. No Tuck, I see Crystal playing more. Details later.
*I see a relationship with Stokes and Butler in a different perspective. Stokes was one of the best "limited role players" in UConn history (IMHO.) She was limited because she couldn't(?) or didn't expand her skill set. UConn demands that every player do 5 or 6 things well. But as we know, many are called and few are chosen. Stokes knew she could rebound and block shots and was relaxed and confident. She did not have to learn the fast-switch defense since she was the "stopper" ready to pounce. When other skills were expected of her - any kind of scoring or passing--she was unsure and hesitant. I see Butler in the middle of that same dilemma. She has 5 or 6 demands rushing through her head and she can't function. If she only had to work the high post, set picks and look to pass, then she could function. The scoring would eventually come because she can shoot. Her defense is totally discombobulated since she is out of sinc and slow to react. Where do I go? Who do I pick up? When do I double? Where is the passing lane? Her role as to be defined more clearly so she can function. Maybe working with the first team next year in every practice will smooth out all the wrinkles. If not, then if Irwin is as smart as she looks on some tape---she could get more time than Butler. (Irwin plays All-state level volleyball, so she can jump.)

Reaction Score
The General
montogmery.jpg
rawImage.jpg

-------------------------The 5-Star General---------------

Last edited:
Reaction Score

South Carolina fan, you are correct. You are not saying anything that I don't agree with. Nothing against any player on any team, they all are giving their best. Some have it and some don't but Wilson would foul Butler out in half a quarter. Good luck to your team.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think Sanaiya Chong will determine how much time Dangerfield gets next year based on well she performs during practice and the early part of the season (the first 10 games). I personally don't care who starts at the point. I'm going to root for whoever earns it. I know it sounds like I'm stumping for Dangerfield. I'm not.

Saniya has been here 3 years. I think its her job to lose. If she does lose it, Dangerfield may get a shot at it. If Chong steps up and takes over the position as she is expected to, then we'll see Crystal at the point her sophomore year.

If Chong falters, and Crystal is not ready, then one would assume that Kia Nurse will assume the point. There will be an opening at the point guard position next season. Who fills it then is anybody's guess. Even ol' Carnac can't see that far ahead. We'll all just have to wait and see. Right now, we have the best PG in the country running things for us.
I agree point for point. PG is a difficult position at any program. Starting at the point on the college level as a freshman is doubly so. Starting at UConn after a legend has left with all of the added pressures and changes of merely being a freshman in college is asking too much, even for one as skilled as Danger. To me the past of Mo is Danger's prologue. Danger's every misstep will be magnified by coaches in practice and fans. I've said this before, but Chong WILL start at the season's beginning. Danger will see increasing minutes. How effective she'll be by the time the Dance rolls around will be up to her. Don't be surprised if Molly sees more minutes initially at the point than Danger. Don't be surprised by the opening critical salvo's Geno throws her way. Don't be surprised if Danger looks lost even in January. Yet with her leadership this may indeed be a different team come time for the Big Boogie.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree point for point. PG is a difficult position at any program. Starting at the point on the college level as a freshman is doubly so. Starting at UConn after a legend has left with all of the added pressures and changes of merely being a freshman in college is asking too much, even for one as skilled as Danger. To me the past of Mo is Danger's prologue. Danger's every misstep will be magnified by coaches in practice and fans. I've said this before, but Chong WILL start at the season's beginning. Danger will see increasing minutes. How effective she'll be by the time the Dance rolls around will be up to her. Don't be surprised if Molly sees more minutes initially at the point than Danger. Don't be surprised by the opening critical salvo's Geno throws her way. Don't be surprised if Danger looks lost even in January. Yet with her leadership this may indeed be a different team come time for the Big Boogie.

I like your reference to the NCAA tournament. I'm telling you now I'm going to plagiarize it at some point, so look for it. :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The roles and demands on every returning player (with or without Morgan) will change significantly with the removal of an absolutely unique player in Stewart and an absolutely phenomenal PG in Moriah. It is not unlike the transition that happened two years ago when Dolson and Hartley graduated - there was no player on the returning team (or as a recruit) that could in way match what Dolson had been providing. The team that took the floor the next year had a completely different offensive look without Dolson in the middle, and the defense was very different as well - Tuck and Stewart were much smaller but also much quicker and the switching defense we are all are used to today became the norm. What we see next year may be very different than what we have seen the last two years. Lou is an interesting piece, but she will not be Stewart, and the team may end up being a zone defense or a much more tradition hedge and recover defense.

Reaction Score

Moriah didnt start because they had Caroline Doty to start the game.Already a 2 time National Champion.Then there was Bria Hartley who started from her first game at Conn.Next years team will not have that luxury.Moriah is going to pass the torch to Kia.She will be the leader of the team and Crystal Dangerfield will be the starting point guard.IMO Saniya can not handle this role and will be the 4th guard behind those 2 and Lou.I see Lou playing mainly the 2 and 3.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield will be thrown in the fire.Chong does not have the confidense of the coaches after 3 years at Uconn,IMO,she has lost her chance.In tight games Lou will play before Saniya at the 2 with Kia or Crystal at the point.It is not Saniya spot to lose because it was never hers to begin with.

Reaction Score
1.. I never said Butler is "not that good"... what I said was that she's not the post player that UCONN needs and is accustomed to this year offensively. Because she's so static, it may lead to Geno changing his offense if she's to start at Center.

1--- I understand now - I think. The word "more" in terms of "traditional" is because we would be playing someone who "isn't Tuck" but who will be more of a pick setter and no ball-handling whatsoever therefore won't wander very far from the paint and won't create away from the paint. Though, I think we can agree that UCONN can still run well even if she is the lineup, correct? Otherwise if you didn't agree, I would disagree with the context for quite a few of your statements in bold below because the LA Lakers were able to run SHOWTIME even with the slow and more traditional Abdul-Jabbar. Not comparing the talent (no comparison :)) just the potential tempo of play (no way am I saying UCONN would be SHOWTIME either) :

(1) I really don't think Butler is the Center you guys need . . . . . (2) she needs A LOT of work . . . . . .(3) Unless she has a completely amazing offseason and just revamps her game.. I don't see her being the post you guys will need.. . . (4) I was skeptical of her early when she was receiving so much praise and figured she would struggle to get up to UCONN's speed of play. . .

And when you said the above in bold about NB being static so Geno may have to change his offense - you aren't suggesting we play "slow ball" in order to accommodate NB. We can run well enough, even with Butler, right? And Geno will still look to run more than likely even with Butler, right? That is what I meant by "play down." Geno is not going to "accommodate" NB. He will still want UCONN to run quite a bit and okay with quick shots but not like we can right now.

2-- This is where you and I disagree. You are using MoJeff as a comparison to CD because they were both top 5 recruits. I use the all-americans (CD vs BH) as comparisons - Hartley imo is much more appropriate because imo both BH and CD are scorers. I don't know much about MoJeff's H/S. But the moment I saw her play at UCONN, I saw a reluctant shooter/scorer. Yet MoJeff who had everything else. From what I've seen of CD, she is much more like Hartley - fearless as a scorer.

3-- Who will be your pg's next year? One thing; I am expecting Danger to be superior to Cuevas by year-end.

Last edited:

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
3-- Who will be your pg's next year? One thing; I am expecting Danger to be superior to Cuevas by year-end.

Our point guard position will likely be filled by some rotation of Bianca Cuevas, Tiffany Davis (she'll be a redshirt junior) and Aarion Bradshaw (true freshmen). If Cuevas continues to improve throughout the summer like she has these last few games (especially defensively, wow) then she will fill in admirably at starting point guard next year.

Our other ball handlers will be Doniyah Cliney, Alisha Gray, Kaela Davis, Kaydra Duckett and Victoria Patrick (true freshmen). They are all either shooting guards or wings but this is important because early on, whoever our point guard is going to be, she will lean heavily on our SGs and Ws for ball handling help. There will likely be some interchangeability from both groups as well.. somebody in the SG/W group may end up playing point guard and vice versa for the group of PGs I've mentioned. The only player currently playing for SC is Cliney.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Dangerfield will be thrown in the fire.Chong does not have the confidense of the coaches after 3 years at Uconn,IMO,she has lost her chance.In tight games Lou will play before Saniya at the 2 with Kia or Crystal at the point.It is not Saniya spot to lose because it was never hers to begin with.
If you think Geno will "throw in the fire" a freshman point guard then you know little of the history of UConn. Few point guards have started from game one. Few get significant minutes. And fewer still get more minutes than established, experienced guards. Hartley got significant minutes. Before that perhaps one more. Mark my words, the first half of the year will be a difficult learning experience for Danger on offensive and defense.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I like your reference to the NCAA tournament. I'm telling you now I'm going to plagiarize it at some point, so look for it. :cool:
Well hell, I've stolen enough from you. Feel free.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well Genos ole saying you've got to have good guards. So we have Kia and who else. A little premature to say right now. Saniya has been injured and we will see what happens next season. Dangerfield imo is thought to be the point guard of the future and I think she sees a lot of minutes. IMO Butler could be an AA. Shes big can score and rebound. She needs to be coached and taught as we will need a big next season. Another point we have a tuff OOC schedule next season so we will need a big at times. Hey we cant compare this years team to next years team. It will be a different team next season. We need to see who steps up. We need to understand we are going to make mistakes next season that we don't make this season. We wont be at the level we are at right now next season and either will anybody else. We have some terrific players and we will be depending on underclassman next season so it will take time to develop and create chemistry. We will be much better next season then most fans think. Ive heard fans say we could lose 5-8 games next season with our tuff OOC schedule. Its really tuff to get a handle on how good we will be next season until we see how we develop. Next season is a mystery for me right now. How ever with our talent, I think next March is going to be a lot of fun.

Reaction Score
If you think Geno will "throw in the fire" a freshman point guard then you know little of the history of UConn. Few point guards have started from game one. Few get significant minutes. And fewer still get more minutes than established, experienced guards. Hartley got significant minutes. Before that perhaps one more. Mark my words, the first half of the year will be a difficult learning experience for Danger on offensive and defense.[/quote I forgot more about this program than you will ever know.Coached a couple players that were on FF team in 1991.Been following team since 87.Coached for almost 3 decades.Played against alot of uconn men players in the day.Dont ever tell me what I know and dont know.The only thing you said right is Crystal will struggle begginning of year.No kidding she will be a freshmen.A hard one Jordy.If you know the history then you know Saniya has struggled for 3 years!IMO a no brainer Crystal Dangerfield!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom