Point Guard Duty Next Year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Point Guard Duty Next Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I respect your posts enormously, bags, but...you're just kidding, right? As Lou develops her passing and ball handling skills, I can see her as a dynamic point forward. It'd be like having as second kid with point guard skills on the floor, one little, the other big. But replacing the point guard? :rolleyes: When Moriah ran with Bria, it was incredibly effective having two kids with point guard skills on the floor at the same time.
Thanks for the kind words, HR, and right back at you!
Well, yes, I see the potential for Lou to play a little Magic Johnson: she sees the whole court so well and has a deadly shot from the top of the key. In fact, it will take the pressure of Crystal, at least at first, who can focus on defending the opposing point guard and working on her own offense. I agree it won't be forever, just until Crystal is ready to run the ship. But Kia and Lou can handle bringing the ball up.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
When has the UCONN offense NOT been run through the PG position?
When it was run through Maya, Stef, and DT. :cool:

Not disagreeing that PG is not some after thought in the Uconn system, though. Just that when Geno has an exceptional passer at another position, then the offense mostly gets initiated through them.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Saniya Chong will start the season at PG and Courtney Ekmark will back her up, Crystal Dangerfield is extremely talented but will still be a freshman. I remember the same conversation at this time last year about Lou and we see how that turned out.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Thanks for the kind words, HR, and right back at you!
Well, yes, I see the potential for Lou to play a little Magic Johnson: she sees the whole court so well and has a deadly shot from the top of the key. In fact, it will take the pressure of Crystal, at least at first, who can focus on defending the opposing point guard and working on her own offense. I agree it won't be forever, just until Crystal is ready to run the ship. But Kia and Lou can handle bringing the ball up.

IF Geno decides not to start Chong, and he feels like stepping out on a limb just a little, he can start Crystal from day one (the first exhibition game), and let her learn as she goes, knowing and expecting that UConn will lose some games along the way next year. Going undefeated has NEVER been a goal of the program. The ultimate goal remains the same every year. Win the last 6 games.

If he chooses to go that route, Dangerfield will be ready when the post season tournaments begin. She'll have 30+ games under her belt by then, and should be comfortable running the point at the college level.
THAT'S when he'll really need her.

Its not beyond the realm of possibility. Based on all of the reports we've been getting, and all of the state and national awards she's received, it appears that Dangerfield is not an your average point guard. I don't think we'll have to wait very long to find out either. :rolleyes: We'll know by the Christmas break how good her chances are of being named the AAC freshman of the year. How's that for putting pressure on her? :eek:

Reaction Score
I also made a similar post a few weeks ago. Play the kid and live with her trials. Can't possibly think of Lou as a two as ssome have mentioned. Height will be at a premium next year and Lou has to learn some inside fighting.

For me when I was speaking of KLS as a sg, I was speaking offensively primarily. As you speak of "height" and "inside fighting" primarily it seems you are speaking of defense. I am hopeful KLS can "fight" and "defend" inside too. My preferred lineup is KLS/GW/NC/KN/CD. This can't be played for 40 minutes obviously but play it for however you can and try to win it a lot with this lineup.

Reaction Score
Saniya Chong will start the season at PG and Courtney Ekmark will back her up, Crystal Dangerfield is extremely talented but will still be a freshman. I remember the same conversation at this time last year about Lou and we see how that turned out.

No way CE backs up the starting pg. CE is not a pg. CE is a sg that sometimes gets forced to play .

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
By all means, lets all get on the record as having no confidence in Chong and damned little in Butler or Ekmark. These things are VERY important to post on the Boneyard. I am not sure why that is so, but it must be, because so many UConn fans believe it is. However; I think that both Chong and Butler will start in the early season and that both will play very well. If I remember correctly, the one game that Saniya started this season (when MoJet was hurt) she played VERY well; around 20 points, some assists and few turnovers. Played more than decent D too. Both she and Butler will be playing with a very different mind set next year when they are starters. Dangerfield is going to be a super player, but not first jump out of the box. She will, I think, get significant playing time, but I will be surprised if she starts, even by season's end. Now I will shut up and let the deploring continue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
By all means, lets all get on the record as having no confidence in Chong and damned little in Butler or Ekmark. These things are VERY important to post on the Boneyard. I am not sure why that is so, but it must be, because so many UConn fans believe it is. However; I think that both Chong and Butler will start in the early season and that both will play very well. If I remember correctly, the one game that Saniya started this season (when MoJet was hurt) she played VERY well; around 20 points, some assists and few turnovers. Played more than decent D too. Both she and Butler will be playing with a very different mind set next year when they are starters. Dangerfield is going to be a super player, but not first jump out of the box. She will, I think, get significant playing time, but I will be surprised if she starts, even by season's end. Now I will shut up and let the deploring continue.

This is tournament time, and two years ago, when Brianna Banks was relegated to the bench, she decided to transfer. I think that both Saniya and Natalie will have to do some serious workouts in the off-season. But at this point, I would put money (I won't, but figuratively speaking) on Crystal's starting. And given how dependable and talented Gabby and Napheesa are, I can't see either coming in after Natalie.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Actually, I was planning to post anyway that the only significant negative that I saw in today's Robert Morris win is that those three players (Butler, Chong, and Ekmark) all looked significantly worse than I have seen any of them look in quite a while. I don't know what the cause is, but I can imagine that the others are getting the lion's share of the reps in practice, and maybe it is obvious that they are not in the rotation for anything other than garbage time for the remainder of the tournament.

I don't think that necessarily carries over to next year. Not only will they have the summer to improve, but I think their previous performances this year give a better indication of what they can offer next year.

The Duquesne game on Monday evening will be their last chance to change Geno's mind. It will probably be a very lopsided game, so they should get a lot of minutes. If they play MUCH better than they did today, they might earn some non-garbage time in the last four games. Otherwise, I think we will see a 7-player rotation for the last four games of the tournament, since I don't think any of those games will be so one-sided that there will be a significant amount of garbage time available.

I realize that is slightly off the intended topic of this thread, but it seems pertinent to your comments as quoted above.

Reaction Score
KLS is not a guard so let's stop with that delusion. Unless Chong has some kind of epiphany this summer, I say throw Crystal in there and let her learn on the job alongside Kia. That was an idea I was against 3 months ago, but I've come to terms that an inexperienced Crystal is probably going to give us the same as the inconsistent guards that we have coming off the bench now. I'd rather watch Crystal struggle while learning her position for the next few years than get an equally struggling Chong for her last year. Same goes for Bent and Irwin. I don't want to say I've lost hope in some players, but for Butler, Chong, and Ekmark, what they are might just be what they are. They've shown little growth no matter how much PT they get. I'm still holding out hope for Butler because she still has 2 more years and a unique quality (height), and I want to believe that her hand is still bothering her even though deep down I know she's had almost two full years in the UConn system and shouldn't look lost against a team like RMU.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
To chime in on your comment......which is why Geno may decide to give Crystal as much floor time (OJT) as possible during the OOC and conference games so that she'll be ready for post season play.
I would add to that - geno/we need her ready to run the team to a possible NC her soph year which is much more likely than next year- IMO

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
The PG position is one which is probably the easiest to replace at UCONN just due to the system and the fact that the offense doesn't really run through the PG with the ball moving so much. As long as UCONN can get the ball into the front court and get the offense in motion I don't see that it matters if Chong, Nurse or Dangerfield is the one out front. What will be the deciding factor will be which player has the ability to provide some pressure defense on the opposing PG.
And that is definitely not Chong - unfortunately.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I remember Renee Montgomery. When she came aboard, she acted like she owned the team and began giving orders and controlling the actions of the team. Does anyone remember the same. Did she come in and take over and become the floor manager? Crystal Dangerfield might do the same.
Renee did that immediately is correct!!! That would be sweet if she has that type of hutzpa!!!! We will need it!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I would add to that - geno/we need her ready to run the team to a possible NC her soph year which is much more likely than next year- IMO

I think Sanaiya Chong will determine how much time Dangerfield gets next year based on well she performs during practice and the early part of the season (the first 10 games). I personally don't care who starts at the point. I'm going to root for whoever earns it. I know it sounds like I'm stumping for Dangerfield. I'm not.

Saniya has been here 3 years. I think its her job to lose. If she does lose it, Dangerfield may get a shot at it. If Chong steps up and takes over the position as she is expected to, then we'll see Crystal at the point her sophomore year.

If Chong falters, and Crystal is not ready, then one would assume that Kia Nurse will assume the point. There will be an opening at the point guard position next season. Who fills it then is anybody's guess. Even ol' Carnac can't see that far ahead. We'll all just have to wait and see. Right now, we have the best PG in the country running things for us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, I was planning to post anyway that the only significant negative that I saw in today's Robert Morris win is that those three players (Butler, Chong, and Ekmark) all looked significantly worse than I have seen any of them look in quite a while. I don't know what the cause is, but I can imagine that the others are getting the lion's share of the reps in practice, and maybe it is obvious that they are not in the rotation for anything other than garbage time for the remainder of the tournament.

I don't think that necessarily carries over to next year. Not only will they have the summer to improve, but I think their previous performances this year give a better indication of what they can offer next year.

The Duquesne game on Monday evening will be their last chance to change Geno's mind. It will probably be a very lopsided game, so they should get a lot of minutes. If they play MUCH better than they did today, they might earn some non-garbage time in the last four games. Otherwise, I think we will see a 7-player rotation for the last four games of the tournament, since I don't think any of those games will be so one-sided that there will be a significant amount of garbage time available.

I realize that is slightly off the intended topic of this thread, but it seems pertinent to your comments as quoted above.

I thought Chong looked okay.

Reaction Score
Actually, I was planning to post anyway that the only significant negative that I saw in today's Robert Morris win is that those three players (Butler, Chong, and Ekmark) all looked significantly worse than I have seen any of them look in quite a while.
I don't disagree, and admittedly I didn't watch closely after the romp. But did they come in individually, integrated with a substantially first team, or did they play mostly with each other? If the latter, there could be a general break-down and perhaps we should go more lightly on them as individuals. I mean--and I say this with enormous respect for her as a person--if they're playing with Polly, there's already a bit of a breakdown in the general flow and intensity.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would have no problem at all trusting the point to Kia next year. But, if Crystal really is a stud, then I really think Geno should just throw her into the fire (with proper support) against the killer OOC schedule and make sure she's almost "seasoned sophomore" ready for the tournament come March.

Reaction Score
KLS is not a guard so let's stop with that delusion. Unless Chong has some kind of epiphany this summer, I say throw Crystal in there and let her learn on the job alongside Kia. That was an idea I was against 3 months ago, but I've come to terms that an inexperienced Crystal is probably going to give us the same as the inconsistent guards that we have coming off the bench now. I'd rather watch Crystal struggle while learning her position for the next few years than get an equally struggling Chong for her last year. Same goes for Bent and Irwin. I don't want to say I've lost hope in some players, but for Butler, Chong, and Ekmark, what they are might just be what they are. They've shown little growth no matter how much PT they get. I'm still holding out hope for Butler because she still has 2 more years and a unique quality (height), and I want to believe that her hand is still bothering her even though deep down I know she's had almost two full years in the UConn system and shouldn't look lost against a team like RMU.

I disagree with most of this post if not a total disagreement in player's but a disagreement in tone.

1-- KLS plays like a guard offensively. Unless you were arguing about her being the pg (she is no pg), but offensively you want KLS on the outside taking 3's as often as possible within the offensive flow. For example, if Irwin is a good basketball player, at sometimes (not all 40 minutes)during big games why not have at pg Nurse or Danger, KLS, GW, NC and Irwin?

2-- This year Chong has played pretty good "when needed" vs a couple of teams when UCONN needed her. One game hit a big 3. Another game a big steal. Two years prior she was "0-fer" in big games.

3-- Whenever Butler or Ekmark enter the game (maybe NB starts), their opponent will not be an Olympic/WNBA Superstar. And they'll be the 5th option within the offense. That's not the case when they enter. They look for Butler now quite a bit. She will have to learn to pass. However Butler should be a terrific pick-setter.

As for Ekmark- offensively she would be handling the ball a ton less if she was playing important minutes. Many of her minutes is now in which she is forced to handle the ball more. That's not what she is. Put her in a more suitable role in big games as a shooter and not a pg, she can be fine.

Reaction Score
I would have no problem at all trusting the point to Kia next year. But, if Crystal really is a stud, then I really think Geno should just throw her into the fire (with proper support) against the killer OOC schedule and make sure she's almost "seasoned sophomore" ready for the tournament come March.

What does "thrown into the fire" mean pertaining to Danger? She is going to play.

Reaction Score
I really believe that in the off season Saniya will work her butt off to regain the feelings of her HS years that made her a national name! I think the reality of her senior year is that emphasis needed to push her to the starting PG position. Please don't give up on Saniya before she even starts her senior year!

Remember people this past preseason where everyone, coaches, & players were going crazy with their praise of Natalie Butler's work ethic and skill set. Then the thumb injury right before the season happened and she went backwards big-time! When she was finally cleared to play she was having problems with the support bandage. So she had to start back at square one literally and relearn skills, and regain conditioning! Give her a healthy off season and the REAL Natalie will reappear!
I think that the season will start with this lineup:
Saniya PG
Kia SG
KLS SF
Naphessa PF
Natalie C
As I stated before, Geno loves a GAME CHANGER and that's Gabby off the bench! CD2 (Crystal D) also works here! I also think Ekmark will be reborn an become a + not a -!
Geno will coach this team as an orchestra conductor/chess master/Yoda, moving pieces around to come up with all sorts of lineups, presenting different problems for the opposition. Nothing will be out of bounds as combinations that will work in certain situations will be Geno's rule!
Bent & Irwin will rotate in as they grow more comfortable in the UCONN system.
This coming year will be one of Geno's best and most enjoyable coaching experiences as he and the staff will be "brain storming" whole bunches of NEW stuff!

Reaction Score
Have her start and run the team from the git go. (My qualifier was, "...if Crystal really is a stud...")

Nah. IMO she doesn't "need" to start in order to be a stud. Starting isn't important for a frosh. IMO she'll be a stud whether she starts or doesn't. Nor does she need to run the team when she is in all the time. Kia Nurse is a good pg.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I remember Renee Montgomery. When she came aboard, she acted like she owned the team and began giving orders and controlling the actions of the team. Does anyone remember the same. Did she come in and take over and become the floor manager? Crystal Dangerfield might do the same.
The General
montogmery.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member