Point Guard Duty Next Year? | The Boneyard

Point Guard Duty Next Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dangerfield or Nurse is definately the option for the Starting point guard duties next year. Because after what I seen in Chong so far this year (And I Love The Kid)....But taking in the year as a whole, It's not there.

Now if during the off season she feast on the opportunity to work on things more power to her. But when it comes to operating the floor general duties you either work on it from day one, got it or you don't, not.

Thank God Geno Successfully Recruited Dangerfield. I would hate to even think it if he didn't.... Oooee weeeee!!!

Reaction Score
I don't think Crystal starts at the beginning of the season. Many things can change but I believe she will be the starter come November or December.

Your probably right unless something else unfolds. May be Nurse at Point to start with Gabby or Lou.

Reaction Score
Regardless if whether or not Morgan stays or goes, I see next season as one where Geno goes young at the point and turns the reins over to Crystal....Kia has been playing her best basketball at the 2 and no one on the current team has shown a consistent ability to handle the ball, read the defense, get the ball into the right hands and score when needed...Crystal's playing time will probably be ultimately determined by her ability to play defense...Lou will more likely be the wild card depending on match-ups and will slide between 2, 3 and 4...Gabby's rebounding ability will be too important to even consider her at the point....I would not be surprised in the least to see someone in search of more playing time pull a Banks shot and leave for Penn State or similar....it is the rare exception for the lights to turn on for players who have not shown the requisite growth and earned coaching staff trust after 2-3 years in a program...while next year's possible starting line-up will provide great Boneyard fodder down the road, let's all kick back and enjoy every second of the brilliance to be found in our current team....it's been a magical ride that none of us will want to see come to any end but another National Championship....

Reaction Score
Moriah's freshman year she was 'behind' starting guards Bria Hartley, Kelly Faris and the gutsy Caroline Doty. Moriah had a ton of skills as well as a ton to learn, and she started only 2 games that year.

Crystal, like Moriah, will make her share of mistakes as she plays up at a whole new level, but she has just Kia 'ahead' of her as a returning guard starter. Kia is dynamite, but she's clearly not a true point guard; seems she is far more effective and comfortable as the two guard. No returner has the ball handling and passing skills like Crystal. She has run the point for years and has the skill sets necessary to be great at the position. If Crystal is as good as Geno excitedly stated she is in his Middlesex Chamber of Commerce speech (see bags27 thread, "I Slipped, too, Stewie when I recruited you"), then she'll be given the chance to start at the point.

While Crystal will mess up some as she learns the UConn system, she is our point guard of the future, no doubt. A future Husky star in the mold of the great Moriah Jefferson.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kia Nurse can be a fine pg. It's just that she isn't MoJeff so she doesn't look as natural/as good. Thouhg we know what Nurse was over the summer. That juts didn't disappear. However, as for Danger early on, it makes no difference if Danger is starting because UCONN has Nurse. And imo it will make no difference if Danger plays "off the ball" sometimes while Nurse brings it up. And while Nurse is in the game, it makes no difference whether it is Chong or Nurse as the pg.

I think a far, far,far,far,far, far, far greater concern is center an the quality of play that can be expected from that position if Tuck doesn't come back.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Moriah's freshman year she was 'behind' starting guards Bria Hartley, Kelly Faris and the gutsy Caroline Doty. Moriah had a ton of skills as well as a ton to learn, and she started only 2 games that year.

Crystal, like Moriah, will make her share of mistakes as she plays up at a whole new level, but she has just Kia 'ahead' of her as a returning guard starter. Kia is dynamite, but she's clearly not a true point guard; seems she is far more effective and comfortable as the two guard. No returner has the ball handling and passing skills like Crystal. She has run the point for years and has the skill sets necessary to be great at the position. If Crystal is as good as Geno excitedly stated she is in his Middlesex Chamber of Commerce speech (see bags27 thread, "I Slipped, too, Stewie when I recruited you"), then she'll be given the chance to start at the point.

While Crystal will mess up some as she learns the UConn system, she is our point guard of the future, no doubt. A future Husky star in the mold of the great Moriah Jefferson.
I agree that the situations are different. When Moriah came in, we had Caroline (a PG with NC experience) and Bria. Crystal has more of an opportunity, out of necessity. I think she also has the advantage of getting input from Moriah, whose physical attributes and game are similar. Crystal will get major minutes next year, probably in a starting role.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I don't think Crystal starts at the beginning of the season. Many things can change but I believe she will be the starter come November or December.

Eric, I said the exact same thing earlier, and was chastened for it. I still feel that way, and we're not alone. Others join us in our thinking. I'm predicting she gets promoted no later than the Christmas break. I don't hate on any of our girls. I love Saniya, but I gotta call 'em like I see 'em. Geno is not going to play favorites. He's going to put his best 5 on the court, whoever they are.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

To chime in on your comment...........which is why Geno may decide to give Crystal as much floor time (OJT) as possible during the OOC and conference games so that she'll be ready for post season play.

Reaction Score
I remember Renee Montgomery. When she came aboard, she acted like she owned the team and began giving orders and controlling the actions of the team. Does anyone remember the same. Did she come in and take over and become the floor manager? Crystal Dangerfield might do the same.

Reaction Score
I'm a broken record on this. Lou will run the offense, perhaps from point or from #2 guard (depending on where Geno wants Kia) for the first half the season or until Crystal's ready.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The PG position is one which is probably the easiest to replace at UCONN just due to the system and the fact that the offense doesn't really run through the PG with the ball moving so much. As long as UCONN can get the ball into the front court and get the offense in motion I don't see that it matters if Chong, Nurse or Dangerfield is the one out front. What will be the deciding factor will be which player has the ability to provide some pressure defense on the opposing PG.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm a broken record on this. Lou will run the offense, perhaps from point or from #2 guard (depending on where Geno wants Kia) for the first half the season or until Crystal's ready.

I don't see that at all. I expect KLS to be the top scorer. In her case we'll want set picks for her as well. Nurse is a good pg. And Danger will become one. We'll want them to set up KLS to score as the top option. Not have KLS distribute as a top option.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I remember Renee Montgomery. When she came aboard, she acted like she owned the team and began giving orders and controlling the actions of the team. Does anyone remember the same. Did she come in and take over and become the floor manager? Crystal Dangerfield might do the same.
Yep. Geno said she walked around as if she owned the place.

Reaction Score
The PG position is one which is probably the easiest to replace at UCONN just due to the system and the fact that the offense doesn't really run through the PG with the ball moving so much. As long as UCONN can get the ball into the front court and get the offense in motion I don't see that it matters if Chong, Nurse or Dangerfield is the one out front. What will be the deciding factor will be which player has the ability to provide some pressure defense on the opposing PG.

No-- sorry don't even come close to agreeing. The fact that the current pg is a threat to drive in the lane and can both score and pass inside, can hit mid-range game, and can nail three while having an ability to create on her own makes the current position look easy. It ain't.

Reaction Score

I in part dissagree.

As I heard Moriah say it, "I Am The Floor General Of This Team"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
When has the UCONN offense NOT been run through the PG position?

Reaction Score
I only see a 3 guard rotation in big games next year with KLS, Kia & Crystal. Crystal will get heavy minutes even if she does not start-I'm predicting she will not.
I agree with your thinking....but here's the concern, if we don't see significant improvement in Butler you'll have out of necessity a front court of KLS, NC and Gabby. That will create either more playing time for Chong or accelerate the Dangerfield reign. KLS would be great at the #2 but only if she has a big like Butler to help with the rebounding and be there as a stopper if KLS gets bet off the dribble. This may sound crazy but i see Butler as the piece of the puzzle that has to work if we are going to win # 12.

Reaction Score

I respect your posts enormously, bags, but...you're just kidding, right? As Lou develops her passing and ball handling skills, I can see her as a dynamic point forward. It'd be like having as second kid with point guard skills on the floor, one little, the other big. But replacing the point guard? :rolleyes:

When Moriah ran with Bria, it was incredibly effective having two kids with point guard skills on the floor at the same time.

Reaction Score
I agree with your thinking....but here's the concern, if we don't see significant improvement in Butler you'll have out of necessity a front court of KLS, NC and Gabby. That will create either more playing time for Chong or accelerate the Dangerfield reign. KLS would be great at the #2 but only if she has a big like Butler to help with the rebounding and be there as a stopper if KLS gets bet off the dribble. This may sound crazy but i see Butler as the piece of the puzzle that has to work if we are going to win # 12.

But in those big games in which we have to fear another team's inside play, I can see Butler (I have never seen Irwin play but many say she can compete well enough next year) getting good minutes. It's not like Butler won't play at all even if for those who really dislike her game. When she is in, it can open up KLS to play the sg on offense.

Reaction Score
Eric, I said the exact same thing earlier, and was chastened for it. I still feel that way, and we're not alone. Others join us in our thinking. I'm predicting she gets promoted no later than the Christmas break. I don't hate on any of our girls. I love Saniya, but I gotta call 'em like I see 'em. Geno is not going to play favorites. He's going to put his best 5 on the court, whoever they are.
I also made a similar post a few weeks ago. Play the kid and live with her trials. Can't possibly think of Lou as a two as ssome have mentioned. Height will be at a premium next year and Lou has to learn some inside fighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom