Poffenbarger to UConn | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Poffenbarger to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Before we float too far away from Saylor, note that she and several of the recent UConn recruits have said they have always dreamed of playing there. Geno's ideal players: They want to come, they know it early, and they go ahead and commit.

And by the way, Kiah Stokes was listed at 6'3".

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Pretty good company; #2 to Azzi. Rating site shrunk her by an inch.

A recent article on Maryland kids claims she is 6'3". Breaking Down The 2021 Rankings (Free) - Prep Girls Hoops

"Saylor Poffenbarger has the length at 6’3” to play inside and the skill to run the point. Listed as a guard she will probably be on the wing on the next level. She recently committed to Connecticut and she is one of the better shooters in the area especially for her size. "

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
As I sit here goggling madly away, refusing to watch American Ninja Warrior with the crazed fan wife, I also came upon a podcast involving Saylor and her coach mom Amy. This kid impresses me. Her segment starts at about 17 minutes. Also talks an injury I had not heard about. Very coy on the recruiting (believe she had her UConn offer at that time) but sorta gives it up at the end. This is a very mature HS rising Jr.

http://www.fnppodcasts.com/finalsco...oach-amy-poffenbarger-and-her-daughter-saylor

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Pretty good company; #2 to Azzi. Rating site shrunk her by an inch.

A recent article on Maryland kids claims she is 6'3". Breaking Down The 2021 Rankings (Free) - Prep Girls Hoops

"Saylor Poffenbarger has the length at 6’3” to play inside and the skill to run the point. Listed as a guard she will probably be on the wing on the next level. She recently committed to Connecticut and she is one of the better shooters in the area especially for her size. "

Saylor is rated #2 in the DMV, not the nation, but that's still a solid ranking.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Saylor is rated #2 in the DMV, not the nation, but that's still a solid ranking.

Yes, I thought the rating context was clear; sorry if it was not. ESPN's ranking service has her 21 overall with a 8th ranking in guard position; suspect she'll rise, but who cares. She's the total package and a great get. I doubt she'll play guard at UConn.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes, I thought the rating context was clear; sorry if it was not. ESPN's ranking service has her 21 overall with a 8th ranking in guard position; suspect she'll rise, but who cares. She's the total package and a great get. I doubt she'll play guard at UConn.
Why not, both Ann Strother & KLS played guard at 6"3". Saylor might also be a better athlete than either Ann or KLS.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Why not, both Ann Strother & KLS played guard at 6"3". Saylor might also be a better athlete than either Ann or KLS.

Saylor needs to get some muscle and that maybe still growing frame, but she was a point guard until her last growth spurt. I have no doubt she can be a guard, but that does not mean Geno will see that as the spot for her in what should be a guard rich team (Anna, Nika, Paige, Azzi :), Aubrey, Mir - oh wait, Mir's a posst???. These designations are getting more and more ephemeral, but I see her more as a 3/4, emphasis on the 3. Two more years to thrash this one out!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Saylor needs to get some muscle and that maybe still growing frame, but she was a point guard until her last growth spurt. I have no doubt she can be a guard, but that does not mean Geno will see that as the spot for her in what should be a guard rich team (Anna, Nika, Paige, Azzi :), Aubrey, Mir - oh wait, Mir's a posst???. These designations are getting more and more ephemeral, but I see her more as a 3/4, emphasis on the 3. Two more years to thrash this one out!
I'd guess she's a 3, but who knows with Geno. I never would of thought of Gabby as a post.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine having Greta Kampschroeder, Jersey Wolfenbarger and Talia Von Oelhoffen join Saylor Poffenbarger for the class of 2021? Those poor announcers!

and if they were on the court at the same time, the JPM rule would apply by just calling out their numbers..

Reaction Score
Didn't realize she's from way out in western Maryland, basically in the foothills of the Appalachians. Just a hop, skip, and a jump from the Antietam battlefield. Way out there!

So we'll have two Marylanders on the team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Didn't realize she's from way out in western Maryland, basically in the foothills of the Appalachians. Just a hop, skip, and a jump from the Antietam battlefield. Way out there!

So we'll have two Marylanders on the team.

That's excellent advertisement and endorsement for recruiting other prospects in Maryland. ;)
"Little America" residents that may want to come to UConn won't be perceived as trailblazers or "sell-outs". Maryland (Brenda Frese) doesn't have near the room on the roster to satisfy all of the enormous talent in the area.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
At 3 am, maybe ;);)
Well, admittedly you don't want to make the trip during the morning or evening rush hour if at all possible. The Frederick area has become a bedroom community for DC which makes life on I-270 a living hell sometimes.

Reaction Score
With Saylor signed how seriously is Geno looking at Amari DeBerry, putting 6'5" on court with 6'3"?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
With Saylor signed how seriously is Geno looking at Amari DeBerry, putting 6'5" on court with 6'3"?
Saylor has not signed yet. She has committed. Signing comes in 2020 if she keeps her commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom