Poffenbarger to UConn | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Poffenbarger to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
not necessarily that tall.....my definition of a big is someone that can defend inside against a 6'4" post without being pushed around and also be somewhat dominant inside at both ends of the floor...... an inside scorer with a skill set like Tuck who held her own at both ends of the court would be fine by me although I know they are not easy to come by.....

Do you honestly think Tuck could have guarded Brown down low? Because that's usually the standard I read as one problem UConn had using Collier at the post the last 2 years. Collier is 6'1", and an effective inside player with inside moves as good if not better than Tuck.

I am sympathetic to your point. I think size is nice to have while you seem to see it as a necessity. It's more important to me to have a transcendent player. All those twin towers who were on NC teams either were one or played with one. Taurasi, Moore and Stewart won all 9 of the UConn titles this century. I think another of that type arrives in 2020/21. :D:D

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one on the board who thinks the way you do. Having a better then average 6' 3" or taller player added to the team would be invaluable to UConn.
I think the entire BY would like to have another “better than average 6’3” or taller player added to the team.” But some of us have come to terms with the fact that we’re not going to see it next season, so we might as well be satisfied with the team we will have, which, in the hands of the master, will be pretty darned good.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
While Cox should be an AA this season, I will be very curious to see how Baylor does with only one of their two twin towers. So much of their offense this past year was comprised of wide open jump shots, backdoor layups and easy offensive put backs because opposing teams were doubling Brown in the post.

Last season Cox was able to roam inside and out in Baylor’s offense. This season she will be the focal point of the offense and getting much of the defense’s attention.
Cox was not as effective when Brown was not in the game, at least defensively. She is not quick and players were driving past her and offensively she had a number of her shots blocked. My hope for her is that she comes back this season fully healed. Even if she is not as effective without Brown, she will still be an elite player.
Do you honestly think Tuck could have guarded Brown down low? Because that's usually the standard I read as one problem UConn had using Collier at the post the last 2 years. Collier is 6'1", and an effective inside player with inside moves as good if not better than Tuck.

I am sympathetic to your point. I think size is nice to have while you seem to see it as a necessity. It's more important to me to have a transcendent player. All those twin towers who were on NC teams either were one or played with one. Taurasi, Moore and Stewart won all 9 of the UConn titles this century. I think another of that type arrives in 2020/21. :D:D
There will be some disappointed people on this board if that 2021 player commits to another school

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think the entire BY would like to have another “better than average 6’3” or taller player added to the team.” But some of us have come to terms with the fact that we’re not going to see it next season, so we might as well be satisfied with the team we will have, which, in the hands of the master, will be pretty darned good.
What happened OD? You did not finish your post.

Reaction Score
Cox was not as effective when Brown was not in the game, at least defensively. She is not quick and players were driving past her and offensively she had a number of her shots blocked. My hope for her is that she comes back this season fully healed. Even if she is not as effective without Brown, she will still be an elite player.

There will be some disappointed people on this board if that 2021 player commits to another school
@Alydar said “2020/21.” There will indeed be “EDD-like” disappointment if Beuckers commits to another school

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Collier is more athletic than Tuck but I think Tuck is physically stronger and could defend Brown effectively
Tuck is strong and smart and has great footwork. She shut down Alaina Coates. In 2012, she was also the only player in her age group who could effectively guard Stewie.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well lets parse that shall we.. South Carolina lost to UConn with Coates and WIlson but won the title without Coates (and without playing UConn). ND ha down only Sheppard the year they won the title and 5’11” Jackie Young and lost to UConn during the season. So while you downgraded bigs to 6’2” we need to know if Batouly is healthy and if Geno is willing to let her play meaningful minutes like she did as a freshman at Kentucky against quality opponents. Is Evelyn, at 6’1” a legit big to help out Ono? I still do not see any elite teams with 2 bigs beside Baylor and Oregon (they have lots of bigs but it is unknown if they play in the paint or on the wing as in Elder Sabally. So I appreciate your comments but I am still skeptical :rolleyes:
Let's really parse that. On the SCar team that won a championship was Wilson (6'4"). Coates (who did not play), Jennings (6'2"), Harrigan (6'2"), and Davis (6'2"). As for the Irish, Shepard (6'4"), Nelson (6'4") and Westbeld (6'2"). All of these players count. This year UConn has only one player above 6'2".

Reaction Score
Also Stokes being 6'2" was actually a good height for a center in 2015. Now you have all these 6'5" to 6'7" girls. Times have changed quickly.

LOL Come on. There are always a couple of huge centers. And many around 6'5"

Reaction Score
Let's really parse that. On the SCar team that won a championship was Wilson (6'4"). Coates (who did not play), Jennings (6'2"), Harrigan (6'2"), and Davis (6'2"). As for the Irish, Shepard (6'4"), Nelson (6'4") and Westbeld (6'2"). All of these players count. This year UConn has only one player above 6'2".

Yeah, like S Car. "Wilson (6'4"). Coates (who did not play), Jennings (6'2"), Harrigan (6'2"), and Davis (6'2"))

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah, like S Car. "Wilson (6'4"). Coates (who did not play), Jennings (6'2"), Harrigan (6'2"), and Davis (6'2"))
I should have said, "UConn has only one player 6"2" and above". Better? The truth is UConn proves my argument consistently. UConn always feeds their forwards and their guards shoot less than most teams.

Reaction Score

LOL Not me. I got my wish on April Fool's Day Anything else is just gravy. I want Fudd but I won't whine if she goes elsewhere. In any case, UConn is flush with guards after this coming year.

BTW, I'm looking forward to the coming season too. I think a lot of nervous nellies are in for a pleasant surprise. The biggest weakness is only 2 upperclassmen starting.

Reaction Score
Very true, but she did have Stokes backing her up for 3 of the 4 years. Also Stewie in the games that mattered played the entire game so that made up for not having a backup. I understand the concern of Ono having to play heavy minutes without a backup.
Stewie used her long arms and jumping ability perfectly-rarely fouled. No disrespect towards Ono but she tends to slap down on ball and rightly so gets called for many fouls. Expect her to improve but would be useful to have as much backup talent as possible.

Reaction Score
My position on a very tall young woman has been made many times because it is the final piece to the championship equation for Uconn. The type of woman that I want is so tall that when she is standing on the ground and raises her hands above her head she can grab the rim of the basket. And the only problem we would have with this person is calls for "goal tending". That is my position and a piece of my sense of humor on this whole topic. The Team has always has been rich in guards and wings. And, there are times when I would like to see the five guard approach in order to provide a full court press. I almost would like some platooning in order to give folks a rest during the game and better player match up. But, that is my wishfull thinking. This is my view in looking for more versatility in order to confuse the opposition in thinking that that they will see the same thing every time.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stewie used her long arms and jumping ability perfectly-rarely fouled. No disrespect towards Ono but she tends to slap down on ball and rightly so gets called for many fouls. Expect her to improve but would be useful to have as much backup talent as possible.
Agree that Liv was prone to swing down and foul often when she got to UConn. She also had a problem with her footwork at first, resulting in her being out of position and getting up in the air on a head fake. But by the end of the season, under the guidance of UConn’s coaches she had improved substantially.

As Liv learns to just move her feet and stand straight up with her very long arms extended she will be very difficult to shoot over and she will be able to avoid foul trouble. My hope is that Liv becomes a 6’5” version of Pheesa when it comes to blocking shots. Hopefully, she learned some things from Pheesa before she graduated. Pheesa had the best technique I’ve ever seen, and was equally proficient blocking shots with either hand.

Reaction Score
Pheesa was good but I've never seen anyone like Stokes who could block and then recover the ball.
Agree that Liv was prone to swing down and foul often when she got to UConn. She also had a problem with her footwork at first, resulting in her being out of position and getting up in the air on a head fake. But by the end of the season, under the guidance of UConn’s coaches she had improved substantially.

As Liv learns to just move her feet and stand straight up with her very long arms extended she will be very difficult to shoot over and she will be able to avoid foul trouble. My hope is that Liv becomes a 6’5” version of Pheesa when it comes to blocking shots. Hopefully, she learned some things from Pheesa before she graduated. Pheesa had the best technique I’ve ever seen, and was equally proficient blocking shots with either hand.
Pheesa is good but for me Stokes was the best. I have never seen anybody who could block and then recover the ball too. Most players just swat the ball where Stokes has a way of blocking it towards herself and the get it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Pheesa was good but I've never seen anyone like Stokes who could block and then recover the ball.

Pheesa is good but for me Stokes was the best. I have never seen anybody who could block and then recover the ball too. Most players just swat the ball where Stokes has a way of blocking it towards herself and the get it.
Yes, Stokes was very good. Pheesa too had that ability to block and recover shots. Many bigs try to swat away shots into the 10th row of the stands. While that gets a lot of oohs & ah’s, the other team gets the ball back with another chance to score. The greatest of all time at blocking and recovering shots was Bill Russell who would basically tip a shot to himself and then fire an outlet pass to a Celtic teammate starting their devastating fast break.

Reaction Score
Yes, Stokes was very good. Pheesa too had that ability to block and recover shots. Many bigs try to swat away shots into the 10th row of the stands. While that gets a lot of oohs & ah’s, the other team gets the ball back with another chance to score. The greatest of all time at blocking and recovering shots was Bill Russell who would basically tip a shot to himself and then fire an outlet pass to a Celtic teammate starting their devastating fast break.

I actually remember a Russell interview where he said that a block was only good if it resulted in a change of possession. Every time I see a devastating swat send the ball OOB I think of Bill.
The psychology of why the crowd loves dunks and blocks so much would make for a great study topic.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The only thing I will disagree with in this post is about Cox. She can def play 40 mins if needed.
Cox also hasn’t diabetes so that has affected her energy level that required Kim to monitor her minutes. She’s gotten better but not 35-40 min per game better...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom