Poffenbarger to UConn | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Poffenbarger to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I keep saying this but I always get attacked by the board. ONO
not sure how unhealthy it is but only having one player taller then 6'2" is highly unusual for a top team these days......that's fine if their last name is Tuck or Collier but otherwise it's not the ideal situation when you consider the size and rebounding strength of the best competition in the big tournament.....
I keep saying this but get attacked constantly. I think ONO is great but its a lot to ask her to go a full 40 minutes against that big girl centers at the elite level. She needs a partner her size to get a break and allow her to share some fouls so she can be aggressive. What's wrong with a Lobo Wolters duo? Having a partner will also support ONO staying healthy.

Reaction Score
here's an easier question.......when was the last time UConn won a NC without two dominant front court scorers/rebounders?

It's a good question. In 2016 UConn had Stewart. Butler was big but hardly a dominant player. Other than that there was Tuck, listed at 6'2" but really 6'1" and freshmen Collier & Williams. So who was the 2nd dominant front court player? I say Tuck but I'm sure you think "how can that be? She is but 6'1". If you agree about Tuck then I say your worries are needless because UConn is loaded with that size for years to come?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, here are some truths we all need to get used to. Neither Boston, Prince or any other true Big will be suiting up for the Huskies next season.

Liv is spending all summer on campus getting stronger while working on her game. I expect a significant sophomore leap from her. We don’t need 40 mpg from Liv. She’ll be spelled by some combination of Evelyn, Megan, Touly or Kyla.

If Evina is eligible and we get contributions from one or more of the freshmen, UConn will have one of the best collections of interchangeable big g/w’s, who can also score, that they’ve ever had.

Before UConn ever signed Evina, Ania or Evelyn, I believed UConn was a FF team. On paper, only Oregon and Baylor may have as good or better talent. Oregon may be a better team early in the season, but I think Geno outcoaches Graves if they meet again during the Big Dance.

As for Baylor, they have the best center in the country. If Evina is eligible, I’ll take the next 4 players from UConn if I’m choosing teams.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Hey oldude, or whoever may know, is Ania pronounced Aneeya or Ahnya?

Reaction Score
It's a good question. In 2016 UConn had Stewart. Butler was big but hardly a dominant player. Other than that there was Tuck, listed at 6'2" but really 6'1" and freshmen Collier & Williams. So who was the 2nd dominant front court player? I say Tuck but I'm sure you think "how can that be? She is but 6'1". If you agree about Tuck then I say your worries are needless because UConn is loaded with that size for years to come?

Very true, but she did have Stokes backing her up for 3 of the 4 years. Also Stewie in the games that mattered played the entire game so that made up for not having a backup. I understand the concern of Ono having to play heavy minutes without a backup.

Reaction Score
It took less than 5 days for 2021 SP's commitment's thread to get to 10 pages. That's pretty impressive for a 21st ranked player. It has taken more than 3 weeks for 2020 Mir McLean's commitment to only get to 9 pages. Not sure what that means, but I find it interesting. Maybe Uconn fans are more interested in taller girl?

Reaction Score
Well, that and we are in the dog days of summer. This thread has wandered a bit from the title.

Reaction Score
Demeter tried out for the 16U team as a 15 year old in 2017. She also tried out for the 17U team as a 16 year old last year. To be invited is very noteworthy and her being a year younger than the age limit for both teams probably hurt her as she was competing against an older set. However if she is truly elite, she would have made a team, which is my point. To me, She’s good, not great, is going to a West coast team that is not on the East Coast sports Public’s radar like a Tennessee or ND so ESPN was correct in not noting it. Sorry to @TheFarmFan that their team signees don’t garner national attention but they shouldn’t as even most Men’s signees/commits don’t make the news on ESPN. Yes UConn WBB is THAT WELL KNOWN to warrant even snippets of news. Get used to it.
Now back to Saylor- as one of the 12 players selected and one of the 7 guards and only 1 of 4 in the 2021 class (Fudd was injured) she should be 1 of the position top 5. Her rank of #21 is a joke. It’s littered with Forwards and centers who are listed due solely to their size, not overall skill as is the case with most of these rankings. Think Nancy Mulkey, Tori McCoy, Ciera Johnson, Sierra Campisano, Jenna Stati all 6’3” or taller as posts and forwards ranked top 16 in their class in 2016 and all transferred mostly due to lack of skill required at the elite level.
I am even more thrilled with this commit than before researching the data! :)
Yes, but Saniya Rivers, Rayah Marshall, Talia von Oelhoffen (W), Aziaha James, Brooke DeMetre (W), Greta Kampschroeder, etc. all did not try out. If they all try out, maybe Saylor doesn't even make the team, but that is something we will never know, but the assumption that she should be a top-5 2021 guard because she was one of four 2021 guards to make the team (when two of the guards ahead of her made it and looked better and the other five didn't even try out) makes 0 sense.

Basing it off of where Verhulst and Citron (who were certainly ahead of her at U16) are ranked, I would say Saylor's ranking is close to correct.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very true, but she did have Stokes backing her up for 3 of the 4 years. Also Stewie in the games that mattered played the entire game so that made up for not having a backup. I understand the concern of Ono having to play heavy minutes without a backup.

I agree about the need for a couple of backup players who can be physical in the paint along with blocking shots and rebounding. Stokes was not only good at those things, at some of them she was the best on the team. But for a couple of fans Stokes, at a mere 6'2" just doesn't fill UConn's need. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Except in rare cases true centers need 2 years to develop at UConn. Their size makes it easy to score and rebound in HS and many never learn much technique or develop stamina and IMO a big entering her 3rd year of HS is 4 years away from being a factor at UConn. Trying to predict that far in advance is a crap shot. Every 2 years a Wilson or a Brown comes along but mostly it takes time. (Tina Charles)

I'll take Fudd and take my chances with 3 years of what could end up being a legendary back-court.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes, but Saniya Rivers, Rayah Marshall, Talia von Oelhoffen (W), Aziaha James, Brooke DeMetre (W), Greta Kampschroeder, etc. all did not try out. If they all try out, maybe Saylor doesn't even make the team, but that is something we will never know. Basing it off of where Verhulst and Citron (who were certainly ahead of her at U16) are ranked, I would say Saylor's ranking is close to correct.
Does anyone know if any of the players you list were invited to tryout for the U16 team? If they were invited, and chose not to participate, it’s possible they had something else to do, but you have to ask the question, “Why not tryout?”

As an example, after not making 2 straight USA teams, Angel Reese declined to tryout for the U19 team this year. Contrast that decision with Aubrey Griffin who paid her own way to tryout for the U18 team last year, turning a number of heads before being one of the last players cut. This year Aubrey earned an invite to the U19 team, where she came up short once again.

If you’re Geno Auriemma, who are you going to want on your team: the player that competes for a spot on USA basketball and fails, or the one that doesn’t even try?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As an example, after not making 2 straight USA teams, Angel Reese declined to tryout for the U19 team this year....

If you’re Geno Auriemma, who are you going to want on your team: the player that competes for a spot on USA basketball and fails, or the one that doesn’t even try?

By numerous accounts, Reese wanted to win a championship with her AAU team. I doubt Geno would've been bothered by that.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
By numerous accounts, Reese wanted to win a championship with her AAU team. I doubt Geno would've been bothered by that.
Yes, that’s what she said. But winning an AAU championship vs winning a World Championship hardly seems comparable.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Yes, that’s what she said. But winning an AAU championship vs winning a World Championship hardly seems comparable.

I get that viewpoint, but don't forget that her AAU team is comprised of many of her close friends she's played with for years. I think Reese does things a bit differently, whether on the court or not.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
OK, here are some truths we all need to get used to. Neither Boston, Prince or any other true Big will be suiting up for the Huskies next season.

Liv is spending all summer on campus getting stronger while working on her game. I expect a significant sophomore leap from her. We don’t need 40 mpg from Liv. She’ll be spelled by some combination of Evelyn, Megan, Touly or Kyla.

If Evina is eligible and we get contributions from one or more of the freshmen, UConn will have one of the best collections of interchangeable big g/w’s, who can also score, that they’ve ever had.

Before UConn ever signed Evina, Ania or Evelyn, I believed UConn was a FF team. On paper, only Oregon and Baylor may have as good or better talent. Oregon may be a better team early in the season, but I think Geno outcoaches Graves if they meet again during the Big Dance.

As for Baylor, they have the best center in the country. If Evina is eligible, I’ll take the next 4 players from UConn if I’m choosing teams.

Slide over OD, let me hop on THAT bandwagon. ;) Agree 100%

Last edited:
Reaction Score

yes I had Tuck in mind..............I'm not sure if she was 6"1" or 6'2" but she had some of the best inside offensive moves I've ever seen and had a great basketball IQ...........you'll note I have said in an earlier post that a power forward would be fine and also noted that if any new recruits were named Tuck or Collier or had the same skill sets I'd be good with it............I'm not aware of anybody on next year's team or that is committed that fits that criteria

Reaction Score
I assume since you want "bigs" they have to be at least 6-4. So '15-'16, had Stewart and Butler, but don't know if I'd consider Butler dominant.

not necessarily that tall....................my definition of a big is someone that can defend inside against a 6'4" post without being pushed around and also be somewhat dominant inside at both ends of the floor..................... an inside scorer with a skill set like Tuck who held her own at both ends of the court would be fine by me although I know they are not easy to come by...............

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That is exactly the situation- you don’t know how they may turn out but based on the programs success these past 12 FINAL FOUR APPEARANCES, I think we’ll be okay. And as I mentioned in the thread that all but Cox and maybe Holmes, from the HG 2016 Class rankings have been busts at the top level and not worthy of their ranking. Where as a 5’1” Jackie Young was awesome. Granted she played everywhere, but that is exactly the type of Player UConn recruits. This was also my point that too many bigs are OVER rated by everyone with only a handful able to handle The rigors of D1 elite teams. So besides Baylor this past few years-name an elite team with multiple bigs who actually contributed? I can’t recall any. And given the number of posts you put out bemoaning our lack of height, yes, it’s a tad unhealthy, mostly to us. I get your concern is to field the best team possible but until we can’t make consecutive FF, or get 5+ losses in a season- I trust the process. ;)
How about the UConn teams with Big Mama, Stewie, Tuck, Lou et. al.? How about the So. Car team? How about ND.? All had at least 2 players above 6'2" or more ready to contribute.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
How about the UConn teams with Big Mama, Stewie, Tuck, Lou et. al.? How about the So. Car team? How about ND.? All had at least 2 players above 6'2" or more ready to contribute.
Well lets parse that shall we.. South Carolina lost to UConn with Coates and WIlson but won the title without Coates (and without playing UConn). ND ha down only Sheppard the year they won the title and 5’11” Jackie Young and lost to UConn during the season. So while you downgraded bigs to 6’2” we need to know if Batouly is healthy and if Geno is willing to let her play meaningful minutes like she did as a freshman at Kentucky against quality opponents. Is Evelyn, at 6’1” a legit big to help out Ono? I still do not see any elite teams with 2 bigs beside Baylor and Oregon (they have lots of bigs but it is unknown if they play in the paint or on the wing as in Elder Sabally. So I appreciate your comments but I am still skeptical :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I keep saying this but I always get attacked by the board. ONO

I keep saying this but get attacked constantly. I think ONO is great but its a lot to ask her to go a full 40 minutes against that big girl centers at the elite level. She needs a partner her size to get a break and allow her to share some fouls so she can be aggressive. What's wrong with a Lobo Wolters duo? Having a partner will also support ONO staying healthy.
So, what big girls exist that Ono has to go against for 40 minutes? Other than Cox who is great but her cardio is not 40 minute per game level. Baylor does have numerous bigs. I see Hebard, Herbert-Harrington and not a lot after that on their schedule. Maybe in the NCAA Elite 8, Final Four ish matchups but if UConn get started that far, I suspect BC, Megan, Evelyn have all stepped up their rebounding games. Did anyone think Gabby capable of her game after Stewie, Morgan and Mo left? We don’t know is my point.

Reaction Score
Saylor was very impressive as a freshman. As a sophomore she made the USA U16 team. It is exciting just thinking about how good she will become over the next few seasons before she gets to UConn.
Let’s hope Saylor continues progressing and that three years from now we are talking about her becoming an elite college player when she makes the sophomore leap.

Reaction Score
So, what big girls exist that Ono has to go against for 40 minutes? Other than Cox who is great but her cardio is not 40 minute per game level. Baylor does have numerous bigs. I see Hebard, Herbert-Harrington and not a lot after that on their schedule. Maybe in the NCAA Elite 8, Final Four ish matchups but if UConn get started that far, I suspect BC, Megan, Evelyn have all stepped up their rebounding games. Did anyone think Gabby capable of her game after Stewie, Morgan and Mo left? We don’t know is my point.

The only thing I will disagree with in this post is about Cox. She can def play 40 mins if needed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So, what big girls exist that Ono has to go against for 40 minutes? Other than Cox who is great but her cardio is not 40 minute per game level.
While Cox should be an AA this season, I will be very curious to see how Baylor does with only one of their two twin towers. So much of their offense this past year was comprised of wide open jump shots, backdoor layups and easy offensive put backs because opposing teams were doubling Brown in the post.

Last season Cox was able to roam inside and out in Baylor’s offense. This season she will be the focal point of the offense and getting much of the defense’s attention.

Reaction Score
I agree about the need for a couple of backup players who can be physical in the paint along with blocking shots and rebounding. Stokes was not only good at those things, at some of them she was the best on the team. But for a couple of fans Stokes, at a mere 6'2" just doesn't fill UConn's need. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Except in rare cases true centers need 2 years to develop at UConn. Their size makes it easy to score and rebound in HS and many never learn much technique or develop stamina and IMO a big entering her 3rd year of HS is 4 years away from being a factor at UConn. Trying to predict that far in advance is a crap shot. Every 2 years a Wilson or a Brown comes along but mostly it takes time. (Tina Charles)

I'll take Fudd and take my chances with 3 years of what could end up being a legendary back-court.

Also Stokes being 6'2" was actually a good height for a center in 2015. Now you have all these 6'5" to 6'7" girls. Times have changed quickly.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
not necessarily that tall.....my definition of a big is someone that can defend inside against a 6'4" post without being pushed around and also be somewhat dominant inside at both ends of the floor...... an inside scorer with a skill set like Tuck who held her own at both ends of the court would be fine by me although I know they are not easy to come by.....
I guess I'm the only one on the board who thinks the way you do. Having a better then average 6' 3" or taller player added to the team would be invaluable to UConn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom