Phil Nolan | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Phil Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"I gained a lot of weight last year. It wasn’t all good weight. I lost a lot of weight, but then I started gaining it back and made sure it was good weight this time.

“It makes it tougher to move around, move your feet, not as explosive. When I went back home to Milwaukee, working with my trainer, it was a lot of agility stuff on the court and working on my explosiveness.”

(what he worked on this summer and needs to do better this season)

“I know I’m way better at finishing around the basket. I want to improve on that, just make sure I’m in the best shape possible so I’m able to run the floor and be explosive, rebound ... just all the little things that will help the team out.”

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/2015/09/phil-nolan-theyre-gonna-have-to-put-arc.html

Reaction Score
This a million times over. Anyone who dons the Husky Blue and White and goes into battle for our program deserves a little bit more respect than that.

I have to second this. Saying something like that is absurd and incredibly tone-deaf considering where you are on the internet.

And for all the all the talk about Nolan's play against MSU in 2014, I actually think he had a greater contribution against Florida. He played a huge part in three straight stops during closing time when UConn really pulled away.

Reaction Score
This a million times over. Anyone who dons the Husky Blue and White and goes into battle for our program deserves a little bit more respect than that.
I wonder how many people who say things like "X player is garbage" actually went to UConn

Reaction Score
You'll find the explanation for DRtg here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ratings.html
PER here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/per.html

The facts are that he was consistently overpowered on the glass, didn't create turnovers, and didn't force many missed shots. That makes him a poor defensive player.

But Phil is great at positional defense and knowing his defensive rotations which you leave out of the equation all together. Those charges he draws are a result of his excellent positional play, not some kind of gimmick. Phil has obvious limitations but he does have his strengths as well, which you seem willfully blind to.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think it's more disrespectful to lie about how good you believe a player is, on aa public form

Reaction Score
I think it's more disrespectful to lie about how good you believe a player is, on aa public form

Are you making fun of me for my Ajou Ajou Deng analysis from way back in the 2000's? :eek:

Reaction Score
"I gained a lot of weight last year. It wasn’t all good weight. I lost a lot of weight, but then I started gaining it back and made sure it was good weight this time.

“It makes it tougher to move around, move your feet, not as explosive. When I went back home to Milwaukee, working with my trainer, it was a lot of agility stuff on the court and working on my explosiveness.”

This is great news. Much like Olander in his Junior and Senior years, Phil looked bigger, stiffer, and slower last year. And like Olander he went from being a serviceable big to bringing very little to the table.

Great to see he recognized that agility is more important to his game than weight. The 2014 version of Phil would be a very valuable asset to this team.

Reaction Score
Of players who saw at least 500 minutes last season, Nolan was fourth from the bottom in the country in PER and dead last in points produced. It's not a stretch to say he was terrible.
Some people just don't understand the value of a drawn charge.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
One thing I really hate about people ripping on Phil is that he never gives less than 100%. He never dogs it out there, gets lazy, or hangs his head and gives up because he's not getting to be the star player. He's shown a strong commitment to our program and has made a lot of out-of-the-boxscore contributions. I can't deny that he's produced less than I'd have hoped for and to say he's been a stud for us would be nonsensical. However, a guy who has shown his level of dedication and untempered enthusiasm for the game shouldn't be spoken of in such derogatory terms.

Reaction Score
I think this thread started out with great intentions, and a hopefulness that Phil - a 4 year guy who committed to our program and stayed when we were facing sanctions, has worked his tail off for the team, contributed very important minutes and plays during our NC run, and has visibly struggled for most of last year - will be able to come out on top his senior year and display his potential. I don't think anyone was trying to say that he was some kind of great player or going to be our next All American, but it's a reminder that even though he received a ton of crap for his play at times last year, he is still a husky that all of us should be proud to have on the team.

If you don't think he'll be a good player this season - that's your prerogative. But don't crap on the guy who's given his all and still is going to for the next year. I think everyone here is hopeful he's going to turn around his misfortune from last year and go out on top. Anyone watching the games at the end of the year noticed a difference and saw a lot more of Phil's potential.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I think this thread started out with great intentions, and a hopefulness that Phil - a 4 year guy who committed to our program and stayed when we were facing sanctions, has worked his tail off for the team, contributed very important minutes and plays during our NC run, and has visibly struggled for most of last year - will be able to come out on top his senior year and display his potential. I don't think anyone was trying to say that he was some kind of great player or going to be our next All American, but it's a reminder that even though he received a ton of crap for his play at times last year, he is still a husky that all of us should be proud to have on the team.

If you don't think he'll be a good player this season - that's your prerogative. But don't crap on the guy who's given his all and still is going to for the next year. I think everyone here is hopeful he's going to turn around his misfortune from last year and go out on top. Anyone watching the games at the end of the year noticed a difference and saw a lot more of Phil's potential.

He was really knocking down those mid-range baseline jumpers toward the end of last season. If he keeps that up, that'll be a valuable tool for us on offense if someone drives into traffic in the lane and needs a bail out.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My first ever "Ignore" takes a lot I guess after how many years? Holy crap.:eek:
Please do the same Bruce it's well worth it.
Now I know some alien took you over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22