Phil Nolan | The Boneyard

Phil Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just think Phil needs and deserves a thread. I am a fan of the kid for so many reasons.

One the kid is a 4 year scholarship Husky. We don't get too many of those in all reality, especially guys who don't have the patience or the requirements of a part time player. He has been a starter, a bench player and a pine rider. Even with all of that he is still here, still smiling and playing hard every time have is called on. He has had ups and downs as a player, played through injuries and alike. And he's been hammered in the BY often and even left to die by some as a player.

I hope Phil has a great senior year and I believe he deserves that. By great I mean puts in his meaningful minutes amongst a solid core of players and gets to be part of a special come back year for UConn basketball. I think the kid just loves being a Husky and being part of the Storrs campus and we as fans don't see that enough instead always looking at the performance and the numbers in the floor. Actually would seem to be a great captain for the team in the Beverly mold but we can't have everything.

His 5 fouls this year will prove to be big in some games I am sure. His ability to know where to be will also prove big at some point. He started making the sideline jumper when offered last year, who knows maybe he'll add some points on occasion. I just hope he goes out a winner, not necessarily a NC but a run and some fun in his last year as a Husky. He doesn't get the fanfare I know but he's really one of the truest of Huskies he is just forgotten to a point.

Good luck Phil go out strong!

Reaction Score
Phil really does deserve a chance to shine some this year. I'm hopeful and believe that we will see an extension of the way Phil played at the end of last season. He was a real contributor at the end and showed real heart. I know he seemed a lost at many times during the season (especially offensively), but I'm faithful that him and Omar will be doing their best to show their best during their senior year. I'm sure they'll be doing it for UConn, for themselves to reaffirm that they are good players, and for their (hopeful) careers overseas.

Reaction Score
Just think Phil needs and deserves a thread. I am a fan of the kid for so many reasons.

One the kid is a 4 year scholarship Husky. We don't get too many of those in all reality, especially guys who don't have the patience or the requirements of a part time player. He has been a starter, a bench player and a pine rider. Even with all of that he is still here, still smiling and playing hard every time have is called on. He has had ups and downs as a player, played through injuries and alike. And he's been hammered in the BY often and even left to die by some as a player.

I hope Phil has a great senior year and I believe he deserves that. By great I mean puts in his meaningful minutes amongst a solid core of players and gets to be part of a special come back year for UConn basketball. I think the kid just loves being a Husky and being part of the Storrs campus and we as fans don't see that enough instead always looking at the performance and the numbers in the floor. Actually would seem to be a great captain for the team in the Beverly mold but we can't have everything.

His 5 fouls this year will prove to be big in some games I am sure. His ability to know where to be will also prove big at some point. He started making the sideline jumper when offered last year, who knows maybe he'll add some points on occasion. I just hope he goes out a winner, not necessarily a NC but a run and some fun in his last year as a Husky. He doesn't get the fanfare I know but he's really one of the truest of Huskies he is just forgotten to a point.

There will be a spot in a game where he will be needed. I hope he produces when his name is called!

Reaction Score
Honestly, both Omar and Phil have a lifetime pass from me after committing to UConn knowing they'd be banned from the post season during their freshman year. Will always root for them.

Also, because they're amateur athletes who chose to join my favorite sports team. And they play hard. As far as I'm concerned, unless you're a malcontent or a criminal, I'll always like you if you play for UConn.

Reaction Score
Also, because they're amateur athletes who chose to join my favorite sports team. And they play hard. As far as I'm concerned, unless you're a malcontent or a criminal, I'll always like you if you play for UConn.
Yeah, I agree, and while I feel like that goes without saying, it's unfortunate that there are those people out there, and even some of them reside on this board, that feel entitled to rip them.

Reaction Score
I don't know if they showed this on TV- but a funny story about Phil from the game @tulane last year:

As we all know it was way too close for comfort and the small Tulane crowd was really jacked up because they smelled the blood of the behemoth from the North.

Late in the second half I think we're actually still down, and Phil fouls out. As he walks to the bench the students do the classic (one of my favorites) left/right/sit down puppet master taunt. Phil, being the joker he is gets deep in a crouch to sit down, baits the students into yelling SITDOWN and then pops back up, strikes a pose, points at the students, and makes a contorted face that you might see in an old Chris Farley tape.

--brought a little levity to a very stressful situation for me.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Phil really does deserve a chance to shine some this year. I'm hopeful and believe that we will see an extension of the way Phil played at the end of last season. He was a real contributor at the end and showed real heart. I know he seemed a lost at many times during the season (especially offensively), but I'm faithful that him and Omar will be doing their best to show their best during their senior year. I'm sure they'll be doing it for UConn, for themselves to reaffirm that they are good players, and for their (hopeful) careers overseas.

I'll go a bit more nuanced. Phil doesn't deserve anything this year other than the opportunity to compete for minutes. He has maintained eligibility and has stayed healthy. No one deserves or is owed anything. If he plays hard in practice and shows he's the best man to play the minutes, I hope he does well. If he doesn't, I hope he is a good towel waver.

Reaction Score
I'll go a bit more nuanced. Phil doesn't deserve anything this year other than the opportunity to compete for minutes. He has maintained eligibility and has stayed healthy. No one deserves or is owed anything. If he plays hard in practice and shows he's the best man to play the minutes, I hope he does well. If he doesn't, I hope he is a good towel waver.

And I'm sure he will be. I've been as critical of Nolan's play as anyone, but his character is beyond reproach.

Reaction Score
Phil was important in our championship run, played really good positional defense, set good screens and took charges. He had a rough go of it last year which I think had a lot to do with playing injured, came on a bit at the end of the year. Phil will be a valuable role player in his senior season and is someone I'm happy to call a Husky.

Reaction Score

I guess I was trying to convey the same message - absolutely not saying he deserves anything but a chance to show he can earn minutes (already regret using the word deserve in the first place). He needs to earn everything he gets, but for his sake I do hope he plays well and at some meaningful times. I certainly don't think Ollie should trot out the same Phil that looked lost on the court like many times last year - and he absolutely doesn't have to with our depth this year. Rooting for ya, Nolan.

Reaction Score
Yeah he's an easy target for negativity, but I absolutely like Phil the guy a whole lot. His trolling the camera, the excitement he brings to the court even if he barely plays and is instead serving a bench cheerleader role, he has fun out there and up or down that's something I always like about our teams. We don't frequently have too many guys taking themselves or the game too seriously. Of course you want them to want to win, but in the 2011 and 2014 teams, you could tell just by watching them on and off the court that the guys were a brotherhood who enjoyed each other, had fun and tried to keep it light and that clearly translated to success on the court.

Phil to me is 100% a "UConn guy": not afraid to be seen as anything less than a "tough guy", seems like a good person, supports his teammates, doesn't get into fights with a on the other team.

Also, even if it was the wrong move, I loved that breakaway dunk he had in the 2014 championship run when it was under a minute. I can't remember what game it was, as I know he did one and Neils did another, but the team always needs a "character" to me, and Phil absolutely fills that role even if his play isn't top notch.

Reaction Score
I think there is a clear separation here ... on those that appreciate the Phil Nolan contributions.

Many look at Rebounds stats, Blocks, Points. A Interior player at UConn rises if he has those; however, we really have needed a lot of Phil Nolan at times the last 2 years in terms of simple positioning and screens and defensive savvy. And, this is a pointed criticism of some of our other interior players. Phil knows how to play and is smart in fulfilling the role demanded by our coaching staff.

Productivity on the Stat sheet ain't everything.

Reaction Score
I think he could be our glue guy this year. Do the dirty work, take the charges etc. Go Phil!

Reaction Score
Honestly, both Omar and Phil have a lifetime pass from me after committing to UConn knowing they'd be banned from the post season during their freshman year. Will always root for them.

Good point on Omar too but he has had some real bright moments as a Husky in comparison. But maybe because of that and compared to where he has been the last 2-3 years this makes him truly special too? I would agree with that, almost Rash Jones type of career - hope it ends the same for him too.

Reaction Score
Phil is who he is now at this stage of his career. Limited physically but plays hard. Kind of like a TO. Hopefully he combats for playing time and makes his teammates better.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Here's hoping PN goes out on a high note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom