Phil Nolan | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Phil Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We all love Phil. But wouldn't we love him even more if he made the occasional layup?

Not even! If he managed to draw the foul call that would be sufficient

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
He can take a charge but please, Phillip Nolan blows.

Reaction Score
A lot of people are saying Phil was injured last year, what exactly was the injury? I can't quite remember hearing about it, but I also tend to keep last year as a blur
He was dealing with plantar fasciitis, not so much an injury, more a chronic condition.

Reaction Score
"blows" is a bit harsh, actually it's fn stupid!

Of players who saw at least 500 minutes last season, Nolan was fourth from the bottom in the country in PER and dead last in points produced. It's not a stretch to say he was terrible.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Seems like a great teammate, but awful player last year. Hopefully he learns to play defense again like he did in the 2014 NCAA

Reaction Score
Of players who saw at least 500 minutes last season, Nolan was fourth from the bottom in the country in PER and dead last in points produced. It's not a stretch to say he was terrible.

Talk about a thread buzz kill...

Reaction Score

Maybe not for you but that's your call. He was far from "terrible" or "blows" and certainly not the worst on the team so that stat you bought up is ridiculous. Actually that stat may be about as worthless as the reply this guy made.

He's limited, he was limited with injury too. His game isn't going to blow you away but he does things many who are clueless would never see. But have at it, I like the guy and he's a piece.

Reaction Score
Seems like a great teammate, but awful player last year. Hopefully he learns to play defense again like he did in the 2014 NCAA

Defensively, minus the blocked shot which obviously makes a difference, he was better than AB and Facey. But as far as positioning and being where you're supposed to be he was light years ahead of those guys, they were clueless.

Reaction Score
Maybe not for you but that's your call. He was far from "terrible" or "blows" and certainly not the worst on the team so that stat you bought up is ridiculous. Actually that stat may be about as worthless as the reply this guy made.

He's limited, he was limited with injury too. His game isn't going to blow you away but he does things many who are clueless would never see. But have at it, I like the guy and he's a piece.

Worthless why? Because it disagrees with your uninformed opinion? Or because you don't understand what it means? I like the guy, too, and I hope he has a good year, but he was putrid last season.

Defensively, minus the blocked shot which obviously makes a difference, he was better than AB and Facey. But as far as positioning and being where you're supposed to be he was light years ahead of those guys, they were clueless.

Phil's defense got worse last year, and by the numbers (which you don't trust), he was the worst defender on the team outside of Lubin, Guest, and Amilo.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
His defense on Payne vs MSU was a huge X factor, we don't win that game without Phil.

Reaction Score
Worthless why? Because it disagrees with your uninformed opinion? Or because you don't understand what it means? I like the guy, too, and I hope he has a good year, but he was putrid last season.

Phil's defense got worse last year, and by the numbers (which you don't trust), he was the worst defender on the team outside of Lubin, Guest, and Amilo.

Ok sure! I'm uninformed? You have to look at silly stats to be informed I watch the game and get a feel for what's happening. And to think he was worst than Facey or Brimah, minus the blocked shot informs me as to why you need to look at stats. Granted the blocked shot is an important piece for the defense but when Brimah had to play straight up man, same for Facey, and then help they were nowhere to found. As an overall defender he's smarter and in better position and that's a no brainer. Does the end result mean he's more important than Brimah, that would be ridiculous for me to think that. But he's certainly was better than Facey. And to use words like "blows", "putrid" just shows where your expectations would be. You want him to be a superstar you're not getting it but if you accept the limitations and then see the good things, he's fine. But fans like you, well that's screwed up!

Let's hear from your informed opinion how they come up with these numbers for your stats? I'm sure Poindexter is back there working up all the significant pieces of playing defense LOL

Reaction Score
Ok sure! I'm uninformed? You have to look at silly stats to be informed I watch the game and get a feel for what's happening. And to think he was worst than Facey or Brimah, minus the blocked shot informs me as to why you need to look at stats. Granted the blocked shot is an important piece for the defense but when Brimah had to play straight up man, same for Facey, and then help they were nowhere to found. As an overall defender he's smarter and in better position and that's a no brainer. Does the end result mean he's more important than Brimah, that would be ridiculous for me to think that. But he's certainly was better than Facey. And to use words like "blows", "putrid" just shows where your expectations would be. You want him to be a superstar you're not getting it but if you accept the limitations and then see the good things, he's fine. But fans like you, well that's screwed up!

Let's hear from your informed opinion how they come up with these numbers for your stats? I'm sure Poindexter is back there working up all the significant pieces of playing defense LOL

You'll find the explanation for DRtg here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ratings.html
PER here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/per.html

These are obviously just tools, but it wasn't hard to see Nolan get beat up pretty badly last year. The facts are that he was consistently overpowered on the glass, didn't create turnovers, and didn't force many missed shots. That makes him a poor defensive player. And that, combined with my analysis from actually watching every game last season, is enough to conclude that he was was of the least-valuable players in the country. None of this makes him a bad person, nor does it negate the good play he had in the 2014 NCAA tournament, nor does it mean he can't improve this year, but if you think your drunken ramblings and baseless opinions are going to take precedence over objective facts just because you call me a nerd, well, then I guess we don't have much else to discuss.

Reaction Score
You'll find the explanation for DRtg here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ratings.html
PER here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/about/per.html

These are obviously just tools, but it wasn't hard to see Nolan get beat up pretty badly last year. The facts are that he was consistently overpowered on the glass, didn't create turnovers, and didn't force many missed shots. That makes him a poor defensive player. And that, combined with my analysis from actually watching every game last season, is enough to conclude that he was was of the least-valuable players in the country. None of this makes him a bad person, nor does it negate the good play he had in the 2014 NCAA tournament, nor does it mean he can't improve this year, but if you think your drunken ramblings and baseless opinions are going to take precedence over objective facts just because you call me a nerd, well, then I guess we don't have much else to discuss.

You're just way too smart for most of us around here Bruce. Constantly thinking everyone is drunk and not as smart as you basically a condescending piece of crap!

And as sober as I am now I do not have time for you with my "baseless" opinions. Keep looking up those stats because you do need them. While you're at it check out what a personality is because you're lacking in that department. Guessing most around you would agree too, easy to see! Enjoy yourself, someone has to bruce.

Reaction Score
My first ever "Ignore" takes a lot I guess after how many years? Holy crap.:eek:
Please do the same Bruce it's well worth it.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
This is great in that I'm not sure you could find two more perfect archetypes for what is a textbook message-board argument. Facts vs. emotions! Stats vs. the eyeball test! Don't you watch the games? I watch every game!
Did you two have to audition for these roles that you each fill so perfectly?

Reaction Score
This is great in that I'm not sure you could find two more perfect archetypes for what is a textbook message-board argument. Facts vs. emotions! Stats vs. the eyeball test! Don't you watch the games? I watch every game!

Yes but I am sure glad you didn't audition.

Reaction Score
I am responding fleud. Critiquing is one thing no problem. Saying one of our players is putrid just sounds too harsh. 'n boneyard is great and that even includes you.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The problem is that stats don't cover every aspect of the game. There are nuances that are missed. Stats are a good starting points but they miss a lot of the play by play observations.

I would take Kentan any day for rebounding particularly for getting rebounds on the offensive end. And the stats would confirm my impression particularly early in the season. But the stats do not describe his defensive inabilities where he all too often lost his player who would get easy buckets. Nor would the stats demonstrate how he was unable to determine what the team was doing on offense resulting in the half court offense stagnating.

Phil had limitations but those limitation were more exposed because of the weaknesses of the remainder of the team. When DD played the four for instance those limitations were less exposed. I'm aware of Nolan's inability to finish around the basket and that is a glaringly obvious failure that even the unsophisticated observer will be able to see.

I'm hoping the plantar fasciitis, which severely limits the push one can generate to jump because of the incredible pain that happens with the attempt is past and PN completes more baskets at the rim and gets some rebounds. Then he will challenge for minutes because the rest of his game is fundamentally sound.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In anticipation of Sr yr, did he eat nails and pump iron this summer like Hilty did??

Yep as well as walking on hot coals and glass to improve his Plantar Facsiitis. He's going to be much better than putrid this year, he's only going to blow with his hard work! He's easily going to improve to 10th from the bottom of the stat sheets as far as defending the points.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom