OT? Your Favorite Announcer - Any Sport, Any Period | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT? Your Favorite Announcer - Any Sport, Any Period

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Red Barber, without a doubt. He's still sitting in the catbird seat. Second would be Mel Allen announcing a Yankee "Ballentine Blast."

T

TroyHouse66

v old dog & dog... Yes!

Mel Allen (& Red Barber)
Both were absolutely marvelous at softly, Southernly, passing along a joyous picture of the cavernous Yankee Stadium (b. April 18, 1923) in its full glory.
A high school buddy's family was throwing away a(circa 1932) table-top cathedral radio about 1962... I asked for it & took the prize home. I had to string about 15ft of bare copper wire along my Mother's kitchen cabinets to pull in the signal from New Yawk; my radio, "Mel", and I lived through many great moments (Mickey coming out from a broken foot injury and parking a winning HR) and several bad moments (trading for Reuben Amaro for SS) over the years.
Billy Crystal has committed an unforgivable sin, as a self-proclaimed Yankee fan, which can not be pardoned. When he made the M & M story, "61*", Crystal made Mel's voice into some white-bread, same-old-same-old, voice that bore none of the lilt and warmth of Allen's Alabama tones. Shame!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom