OT? Your Favorite Announcer - Any Sport, Any Period | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT? Your Favorite Announcer - Any Sport, Any Period

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cawood Ledford he was the play-by-play announcer for University of Kentucky basketball for 39 years. One of the great announcers in college basketball.
I'll second that.We were somehow able to pick up Kentucky basketball games on the radio in Northwest Ct. when the "Morris Mountain", Chuck Aleksinas, played there.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Billy Gardner, hockey. Guy cracked me up. Hearing Sean McDonough reminds me of the sound of a baseball game on a sultry summer's night, nice memories.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Yes, to Al Michaels being great.

I don't listen to a lot of baseball anymore, but Rizzuto was a hoot in the day; Michael Kay that does the Yanks right now is excellent.

All the Alberts are easy to listen to, although Marv is really getting old.

Someone (a protege of his, to be fair) recently commented that he thought Bruce Johnson, who used to do Rutgers and other games for a local radio station and some TV work, was the greatest he had ever heard. I will say that Bruce, in the few times I heard him, was really excellent.

Reaction Score
Wow, lots of good choices.
I had another. Ken Coleman did the Browns games when they were great. PLEASE, no booing.

Reaction Score
No Yankee fans out there. John Sterling?
Maybe he just isn't that good.
I thnk my fav is Kruk and Kuip for the SF Giants are the best listen on TV for Baseball, and Madden for Football.

Reaction Score
Ron Perry and Bob Picossie were my two favorite tv announcers and my favorite radio announcer is the Voice of the 28 time world Champ's John Sterling As for my other favorite radio announcer's are BOB PAPA the voice of the NY GIANTS and the other one is JOE DAMBROASA the radio voice of the 3 time NCAA Champion's UCONN HUSKIES he does the UCONN FOOTBALL PLAY BY PLAY AS WELL

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wayne Norman.

I have never heard anyone ever say a bad thing about Wano.

Outside of Wayne, Phil Liggett (cycling) and Dave Johnson (horse racing).

Reaction Score
Grew up on Red Barber - his word pictures on radio were almost visual - and he taught Vin Scully well

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
John Facenda...no explanation needed.
He was the unbelievable voice for the NFL documentaries- was he also a tv or radio announcer? The shows he narrates make the show- the video footage almost didn't matter. One of the great voices ever in sports!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Doc Emerick for hockey-I'm continually amazed how he can follow the action and keep up with who has the puck, etc
Phil Rizzuto for baseball. Probably because I grew up idolizing "The Mick"...
Doc Emerick for sure and "Holy Cow" I was gonna say Phil for the same reason- listening in the early to mid 60's to the games outside on the wknd, and then running inside just to watch "The Mick" swing the bat. Then head outside till his next at bat.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Sean McDonough, Jay Bilas and Bill Raftery were the best for college basketball.
Gary Cohen, Ron Darling and Keith Hernandez on SNY are wonderful on Mets games. The Mets stink but the games are worth watching just to listen, learn and laugh with those three.
I think Bill Raftery is still the Bomb! "With a kiss" who is his normal partner - Sean McDonough? They are perfect together! I like Dick Vitale too- he brings a certain something to the game that I like.

Reaction Score
Wow, lots of good choices.
I had another. Ken Coleman did the Browns games when they were great. PLEASE, no booing.

The same Ken Coleman that did Bosox broadcasts with Ned Martin and Mel Parnell?

Reaction Score
Lindsey Nelson was also an outstanding baseball announcer and he was the Sunday afternoon voice of Notre Dame football highlights.

Basketball on Radio: Marv Albert - Yessssss!
Baseball on Radio: Bob Murphy(his brother, BTW, is Jack Murphy of Jack Murphy stadium)
Close Basketball Game: Gus Johnson( hands down, and he seems to get them all).
Versatility: Doris Burke with a nod to the sportscaster mentioned below.
Women's Sports: Beth Mowins(she is also quite versatile, does a lot of football games)
Unabashed Homerism: Chic Hearn
Another Nod on Versatility: Al Trautwig
Interviewer: Roy Firestone
Sports Newscaster: Jim Hill

I have never, ever liked Billy Packer.
I think Rebecca Lobo and Kara Lawson will eventually totally take over desk coverage of the women's championship.
I like what they did with the three separate broadcasts of the men's national semifinals. No need to be fair and objective when that is clearly not the objective.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Lindsey Nelson was also an outstanding baseball announcer and he was the Sunday afternoon voice of Notre Dame football highlights.

Basketball on Radio: Marv Albert - Yessssss!
Baseball on Radio: Bob Murphy(his brother, BTW, is Jack Murphy of Jack Murphy stadium)
Close Basketball Game: Gus Johnson( hands down, and he seems to get them all).
Versatility: Doris Burke with a nod to the sportscaster mentioned below.
Women's Sports: Beth Mowins(she is also quite versatile, does a lot of football games)
Unabashed Homerism: Chic Hearn
Another Nod on Versatility: Al Trautwig
Interviewer: Roy Firestone
Sports Newscaster: Jim Hill

I have never, ever liked Billy Packer.
I think Rebecca Lobo and Kara Lawson will eventually totally take over desk coverage of the women's championship.
I like what they did with the three separate broadcasts of the men's national semifinals. No need to be fair and objective when that is clearly not the objective.
I like Gus, Beth and Doris as well... Gus has a lot of videos on YouTube, the comments are hilarious

Reaction Score
Men's college basketball-Al McGuire and Billy Packer. Women's college basketball-Kara Lawson and Rebecca Lobo. Honorable Mention-Eric Friede and Meghan Culmo (I know it's crazy but I really enjoy listening to them).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
No Yankee fans out there. John Sterling?
Sterling is awful. There are few worse. Unfortunately for him, he works directly with one of them. Waldman may actually bring less to the table. I have no idea how Yankee fans listen to the radio. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

Reaction Score
Michael Kay then?

He's pretty poor as well. Ken Singleton is excellent, and I really miss Jim Kaat and Bobby Murcer. Those guys knew what they were talking about, and they did not grate on the nerves. Of course, Bill White, Rizzuto and Frank Messer were a classic trio.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Jack Buck was real good. Mickie Dearstone does a nice job in calling games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom