OT? Your Favorite Announcer - Any Sport, Any Period | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT? Your Favorite Announcer - Any Sport, Any Period

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Wayne Norman.

I have never heard anyone ever say a bad thing about Wano.

Outside of Wayne, Phil Liggett (cycling) and Dave Johnson (horse racing).
He's a good one.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ray Hudson (soccer) always comes up with the craziest things. Also for more intellectual announcing Ian Darke and Martin Tyler (soccer).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wayne Norman.

I think Wayne's an excellent color guy. He makes good observations, gives you needed facts and info and most inportantly he gets in and out. I can't stand the color person that talks too much.

Anyway, a few years ago he was on with Arnold Dean talking about his book when I called and pretty much repeated the above. After I was done, Arnold asked if I was interested in going to the Don Zimmer roast at Mohegan Sun. I said sure, not knowing what kind of deal it was. I figured I might get some free food or something. Turned out it was a huge deal, a big fundraiser, over 1,000 people . Open bar, surf and turf dinner. It was worth putting up with all the Yankee talk. The only real roasting was everyone saying how lousy Zim was at the track. His nickname was "Place" because his horses always ran 2nd. Quite the prize for a radio call-in.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Men's college basketball-Al McGuire and Billy Packer.

I know it's opinion but no, just Al McGuire. Packer was basking in reflected glory. Notice how when he was finally canned, nobody missed him? The consensus was: What took you so long?

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Who is he? Never heard of him.
Meyers, as our in-house soccer afficianado, who is that crazy Spanish announcer that does his classic GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!?

Reaction Score
I would watch the Yankee game with the sound off and turn on the radio to listen to Phil Rizzuto. The "Scooter" would exaggerate the plays to make it sound great on radio so much sometimes that it seemed like I was watching the wrong game. But he was the most exciting announcer. With Bill White and Frank Messer they made a great team.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Marv Albert

laugh if you will ...!! :p

But he's very good.
Sterling is awful. There are few worse. Unfortunately for him, he works directly with one of them. Waldman may actually bring less to the table. I have no idea how Yankee fans listen to the radio. It's like nails on a chalkboard.
hey b nice! Those 2 are our nails & our chalkboard! :)

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score

Where do u guys come up with this- I'm also a big/huge Seinfeld fan!
Hey -I have one for all u Yankee/Red Sox fans- eho is the one person most responsible for getting Phil Rizzuto into the Hall of Fame???- Baseball not Announcing Hall of Fame!

Reaction Score
He's pretty poor as well. Ken Singleton is excellent, and I really miss Jim Kaat and Bobby Murcer. Those guys knew what they were talking about, and they did not grate on the nerves. Of course, Bill White, Rizzuto and Frank Messer were a classic trio.
Loved Jim Katt! I think he's phenomenal.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Mel Allen.............."Thats a Ballentine Blast"

Fred Capossela...............The Flag is Up, It is now Post Time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom