OT - UAB Football Done? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - UAB Football Done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your only a fan of a team that is good all the time. What's your point

This might be the least accurate thing I've ever read. Ooohh I noticed Diaco did a bad job this year - I'm not a fan. Clueless.

Reaction Score
Can we extend offers to their players? I assume they would receive exception and be allowed to play immediately. Offer a qb and oline for starters.

Reaction Score
Cody Clements to South Alabama. Oh well. So much for UConn having no shot because Texas, UCLA and others wanted him.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cody Clements to South Alabama. Oh well. So much for UConn having no shot because Texas, UCLA and others wanted him.

Joey Jones has been on my short list of coaching candidates for a couple of years. Good get for him.

Reaction Score
I had lunch this summer with someone close to the athletic program and administration (former BB player in the late 90's). They told me that the football program is sucking money out of athletics. It's to the point that capital raised to build the new bb facility was borrowed for the use of the FB program. This is one of the reason why some of the finishing touches on the new bb facility where not completed when it opened. This got me thinking, would UConn ever consider shutting down football for fiscal reasons. Would we continue with the high cost of operating a D1 program if it isn't profitable? At the time I thought Never! FB is the vehicle we need to ride to get into a P5 conference. But now my worry is that if things don't get better in the next 3-5 years then this could very well become part of the discussion. I hope to god not but it is ever more reason to continue to support football and renew your season ticket packages. We need football to work for us.
I think there is a certain amount of nonsense in this. In the first instance it is not unusual for buildings to open without all cosmetic finishes completed. Happens all the time. So I doubt it was because football "borrowed" money from the hoop project. Secondly public entities can't easily move capitl funds to operating and visa versa. I suspect it has way more to do with the football-basketball rivalry for want of a better term. It is no secret that there were and remain folks in the UConn AD who think football was a big mistake and have opposed it every step of the way. That some former players feel that way strikes me as not so surprising.

Reaction Score
I think there is a certain amount of nonsense in this. In the first instance it is not unusual for buildings to open without all cosmetic finishes completed. Happens all the time. So I doubt it was because football "borrowed" money from the hoop project. Secondly public entities can't easily move capitl funds to operating and visa versa. I suspect it has way more to do with the football-basketball rivalry for want of a better term. It is no secret that there were and remain folks in the UConn AD who think football was a big mistake and have opposed it every step of the way. That some former players feel that way strikes me as not so surprising.
I wish that they never got involved in BCS football, but since they did they have to be committed to it, they just cant shut down the program and send one hundred scholarship players and commits into uncertainty

Reaction Score
I had lunch this summer with someone close to the athletic program and administration (former BB player in the late 90's). They told me that the football program is sucking money out of athletics. It's to the point that capital raised to build the new bb facility was borrowed for the use of the FB program. This is one of the reason why some of the finishing touches on the new bb facility where not completed when it opened. This got me thinking, would UConn ever consider shutting down football for fiscal reasons. Would we continue with the high cost of operating a D1 program if it isn't profitable? At the time I thought Never! FB is the vehicle we need to ride to get into a P5 conference. But now my worry is that if things don't get better in the next 3-5 years then this could very well become part of the discussion. I hope to god not but it is ever more reason to continue to support football and renew your season ticket packages. We need football to work for us.
Bob Diaco's contract tells me no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak