OT -Our Women | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT -Our Women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After going through that whole thread my biggest takeaway is being reminded about how awful our defense was against Coppin St.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
In my eyes, if Geno were to coach the Men's game, he would have a similar coaching style and aura about him as Coach K. He would get the top players willing to play in his discipline-demanding system, and have them ready to play in the big moment. He is an all-time great basketball mind, and only he and Pat Summit of the women's game have the accolades and reputation to stand alongside the great men's coaches of the game as the best college basketball coaches of all time.

We as UConn fans have been blessed to have not one, but two of our coaches in this elite group of maybe only 8 or 9 names that can say they were some of the best EVER. Heres to making it three with KO hopefully joining that group in the future.

Reaction Score
In my eyes, if Geno were to coach the Men's game, he would have a similar coaching style and aura about him as Coach K. He would get the top players willing to play in his discipline-demanding system, and have them ready to play in the big moment.

:rolleyes:.

Reaction Score
Talking about UConn's next game, its going to be tough. U Texas is a good team, with two tall centers, one 6-7 and one 6-5, and a spitfire freshman for a point guard that can hit the big shots.

I watched them take on Western Kentucky and beat a really good Cal team in Berkeley last weekend and they will be a tough out for UConn. Should be a great game!

Reaction Score
In my eyes, if Geno were to coach the Men's game, he would have a similar coaching style and aura about him as Coach K. He would get the top players willing to play in his discipline-demanding system, and have them ready to play in the big moment. He is an all-time great basketball mind, and only he and Pat Summit of the women's game have the accolades and reputation to stand alongside the great men's coaches of the game as the best college basketball coaches of all time.

We as UConn fans have been blessed to have not one, but two of our coaches in this elite group of maybe only 8 or 9 names that can say they were some of the best EVER. Heres to making it three with KO hopefully joining that group in the future.

That's what I was thinking, Coach K. :rolleyes:

Seriously people from the women game with no parity to Coach K in the mens game? He's great I get it and admitted that, in the women's game though. Whole different animal. By the way that "discipline style, demanding style" does to the UConn coaches when the lights are on more often than not.;)

End this thread it's out of control now!

Reaction Score
I swore I wasn't going to get into this fecal pile, but it is worth pointing out that Geno coached his son's AAU basketball team. His son was the most highly regarded player. He went to Saint Jo's were he was a marginal player. He took this group of misfits into the final four
of an AAU national event 16 and under I believe. I point this out to show Geno can coach individuals with Y chromosomes. It is not meant
to imply that AAU coaches are good or even competent. What it does imply is that Geno knows how to coach and that the sex of the individuals involved is not really significant.

Reaction Score
That's what I was thinking, Coach K. :rolleyes:

Seriously people from the women game with no parity to Coach K in the mens game? He's great I get it and admitted that, in the women's game though. Whole different animal. By the way that "discipline style, demanding style" does to the UConn coaches when the lights are on more often than not.;)

End this thread it's out of control now!
You screaming about parity won't make it true. And, since when does people expressing their opinion make them out of control. Again, there is as much talent parity as there is in the men's game. The lack of parity is in the coaching. The reason UConn beat Kentucky last year isn't because there was parity in talent. UConn was at a major talent disadvantage. The reason is because Ollie is a very good coach and the squid is mediocre. It is the opposite in the women's game. Geno is coaching the superior talent, albeit not as superior as you want to believe, and the coaches of the contenders are mediocre. South Carolina, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Duke and Stanford are all closer to UConn in talent than the UConn men are to Kentucky. If their coaches were as good as as Ollie and Geno was as mediocre as the squid, UConn wouldn't be beating them by 20+.

Saying that you know for sure he couldn't be successful coaching men is as idiotic as saying he definitely could. No one knows for sure. The main reasons are the egos and lack of discipline in the male players. The only other major difference between the games is the difference in strength, size and speed. But two teams competing in the men's game both have those things. Do you really think Geno would be baffled by how to coach faster, taller and stronger players? Really?

Reaction Score
So #1, #2 and #6 (Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck) in 2012 is what?
Yeah, ya got me. Only twice in the lst 15+ years. The overall point that he gets that every year is nonsense.

Reaction Score
UConn women play "Coppin State" 95% of their games.

I don't disagree. But the percentage of games they play against good competition ? That really doesn't explain the 20 pt beatdowns of South Carolina and Notre Dame and Duke.

Reaction Score
If not for the good UConn coaches AND his own mediocrity, you mean. And Geno does not make a mockery of college athletics by RECRUITING NOTHING BUT PLAYERS WHO COULD CARE LESS ABOUT ACADEMICS . I get that the system allows him to do it but he doesn't have to RECRUIT ONLY PLAYERS WHO HAVE ZERO INTENTION OF LEARNING while they hang out in wildcat lounge for a year.

I agree with your first sentence the rest is just your assumption. Of Squids players who havent been one and dones pretty much all have graduated since hes been at UK and his team has a 3.0 gpa. Hes no better no worse than most schools. Sure hes no saint,his car salesman schtick is tiring and its rather sickening how the national media slurps him up but im not going to hate on his success because its hypocritical. I know for a fact if he were doing what he is doing here at Uconn we`d all be singing his praises. If you say you wouldnt you are delusional. Btw I think you meant "couldnt care less".

Reaction Score
I hear you but what classes are they taking? And are we including players that were intially walk ons? We have one going to Harvard Med School. He isn't a typical UConn player. My wife taught recitation for Economics classes at UConn and there were basketball players in those classes. They weren't the remedial classes either. And we know about Okafor. I am skeptical that the Kentucky players take similar classes or have similar majors. But that isn't the point. The point is that they all come in with the intention of staying one year and doing the minimum academically to get by. That makes a mockery of college athletics. One or two is fine. But when every recruit has that intent....mockery.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It would be fun to see Geno take over something like the St John's men's program just to see what happens.

Reaction Score
I believe you will find posts of mine which have mentioned that he is by far the best coach int he women's game. No matter what the talent - but there's never been a time where he hasn't won an NC without a great roster. Pretty simple even for a not so true Follower of UConn women.:rolleyes:

Did not have a "great roster" in '03. He had D and a bunch of kids.

Reaction Score
You screaming about parity won't make it true. And, since when does people expressing their opinion make them out of control. Again, there is as much talent parity as there is in the men's game. The lack of parity is in the coaching. The reason UConn beat Kentucky last year isn't because there was parity in talent. UConn was at a major talent disadvantage. The reason is because Ollie is a very good coach and the squid is mediocre. It is the opposite in the women's game. Geno is coaching the superior talent, albeit not as superior as you want to believe, and the coaches of the contenders are mediocre. South Carolina, Notre Dame, North Carolina, Duke and Stanford are all closer to UConn in talent than the UConn men are to Kentucky. If their coaches were as good as as Ollie and Geno was as mediocre as the squid, UConn wouldn't be beating them by 20+.

Saying that you know for sure he couldn't be successful coaching men is as idiotic as saying he definitely could. No one knows for sure. The main reasons are the egos and lack of discipline in the male players. The only other major difference between the games is the difference in strength, size and speed. But two teams competing in the men's game both have those things. Do you really think Geno would be baffled by how to coach faster, taller and stronger players? Really?

You know what's idiotic is all of your post basically. I have NEVER said he wouldn't be successful in men's coaching so get things right okay. But to say Coach K, or even JC is not exactly bright because he has proved nothing in that regard. Totally different players, athletes, game, opposition, how long players stay in school ETC ETC ETC.. Do yourself a favor get the facts about what I say about Geno before you spew you look silly at best because I happen to think he's an excellent coach.

Reaction Score
Did not have a "great roster" in '03. He had D and a bunch of kids.

D is a great start. And the "kids" were all really good players, some even better than good - won't deny most of it because Geno can coach them better than anyone else. But he's had the best year in year out and to argue that is absurd. The #1 recruit for how many years? I mean the reality is he's pretty much Cal in the women game. But he's a much better coach than Cal is in the men's game, relative wise!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I didn't dare go there with Diana T whaler11 but I agree.

Taurasi was even better. You could surround her with 7 average players and have a Sweet 16/Elite 8 team.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm good with most of it cohen but when you talk about "ball movement, inconsistent play" etc etc by the men you are once again not comparing apples to apples. When the men played Coppin State they looked like world beaters didn't they - they moved the ball, dunked when they wanted to, threw 5 passes for open looks for 3 and made them. Made steals on defense turned them into lay ups. It was a thing of beauty. Ok so now the clincher - UConn women play "Coppin State" 95% of their games. You know what I mean so try to be fair to our great mens coaches. And Geno isn't getting anything more out of Brimah than our mens staff, he's not learning anything or retaining anything as of yet that's all it is.

Other than that not a bad post!;)
Well, mau, in fairness to the obvious overall brilliance of my post, in my head I'm comparing our ball movement to what I see a whole lot of our opponents do against us and other teams. We are way too often seemingly aimless. We played exactly two complete games against good teams and it showed when we beat Tulsa and SMU. But I'll give you s pass not only because you're mau, but I freakin love your Avatar.
The one thing KO has not had since he became a head coach was a four and a five that play like Tuck and Stewart this year or Stephanie and Stewart last season. Last season when KO played small and had DD at the five and Neils at the four the movement was fine. Brimah and Facey are still trying to figure out what they should do on the offensive end. PN would be fine in ball movement but he lacks the ability to create at the four. Tuck is a one women wrecking crew. Totally agree with mau in another post he made in this thread the problem with ball movement primarily falls on players bb IQ.

Reaction Score
I believe you will find posts of mine which have mentioned that he is by far the best coach int he women's game. No matter what the talent - but there's never been a time where he hasn't won an NC without a great roster. Pretty simple even for a not so true Follower of UConn women.:rolleyes:

Taurasi's junior and senior year did not have a great roster. The second best pro out of those teams ended up being a journeymen who averaged about 4 ppg in the WNBA (and only lasted as long as she did because she was one of Lisa Leslie's BFFs). Of course, they had the greatest player to ever play the woman's game..but those two championships were special.

Stewart's freshman year, although they had a great team roster..they didn't have the best won. Both Notre Dame and Baylor had more talent than Uconn.

I think one of the biggest differences in the men's and women's game is the the difference in quality of player for a few players to the rest of the class. It's just not like that in the Men's. If you get a few players in the top 30 in MCBB it would be the equivalent of getting a few players from the top 5 in the women's class.

Reaction Score
You know what's idiotic is all of your post basically. I have NEVER said he wouldn't be successful in men's coaching so get things right okay. But to say Coach K, or even JC is not exactly bright because he has proved nothing in that regard. Totally different players, athletes, game, opposition, how long players stay in school ETC ETC ETC.. Do yourself a favor get the facts about what I say about Geno before you spew you look silly at best because I happen to think he's an excellent coach.
How ironic. Why don't YOU show ME where I said Geno would do as well as Coach K if he coached in the men's game. Idiotic indeed.

Look, I know the snide comments made in the past by fans of the women's team regarding Calhoun and Ollie being able to learn from him and so on really REALLY pissed you off. Try to be a little less hypersensitive and defensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom