OT -Our Women | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT -Our Women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, he got the #2,3,5 and 10. He is working with unknowns people, don't you guys get that. And so far this year, he has only managed to get the #1,3 and 4. I am amazed he somehow keeps winning games.
What i find funny is how some people here gloat over Genos dominance over the womens game but then criticize Squid for doing pretty much the same thing. If not for Uconn:D Squid is sitting on 3 titles and going for #4 in the last 5 years.

Reaction Score
What i find funny is how some people here gloat over Genos dominance over the womens game but then criticize Squid for doing pretty much the same thing. If not for Uconn:D Squid is sitting on 3 titles and going for #4 in the last 5 years.
If not for the good UConn coaches AND his own mediocrity, you mean. And Geno does not make a mockery of college athletics by recruiting nothing but players who could care less about academics. I get that the system allows him to do it but he doesn't have to recruit only players who have zero intention of learning anything while they hang out in wildcat lounge for a year.

Reaction Score
The women's game is so sad, seriously it's pathetic. I'm sorry geno but I'll be impressed when you win 1 title in the men's game, not taking every top 5 recruit in high school and keep them 4 years. Imagine senior Kemba? That's another title. Senior Drummond? Who's stopping that in college? No one. The men's game is so much harder to coach you really can't explain it in words.
Drummond would've been a senior this year hahahaha. He probably would average 30 pts and 15 boards.

Reaction Score
F all this bullsh1t..... Mens...womens.....geno....Jimmy..they're all UConn, and they're all dominant. Leave it at that....cause it's the truth.

Now let's have a real debate:. Who's the hottest?

I've got Nurse..... I can watch her all day:oops:

(It can be past or present, and please Fishy, let's just keep it with the lady huskies;))

Let's be honest as we can here, there isn't any "hot" ones running up and down the court in a Husky uni. They are all nice kids and stuff, but we'd need to go back a while for that!

Reaction Score
The women's game is so sad, seriously it's pathetic. I'm sorry geno but I'll be impressed when you win 1 title in the men's game, not taking every top 5 recruit in high school and keep them 4 years. Imagine senior Kemba? That's another title. Senior Drummond? Who's stopping that in college? No one. The men's game is so much harder to coach you really can't explain it in words.

Coaching basketball isn't rocket science. Of course you're limited by your talent, but at the end of the day it's pretty simple. Can you get high percentage shots for your best players? Can you keep the opposing team from getting high percentage shots for their best players? Sorry to go all Hubie Brown on you but yeah... Geno has a lot of talent to work with but they still play beautiful basketball.

Reaction Score

I'm not a UCONN women's basketball fan either. It really is like watching wrestling -you know the outcome before the game.
that being said no denying Geno being a great HOF coach.

The elite recruits have really very few schools to go to that for all intensive purposes that guarantees them a shot at going to the Final Four (s)(and beyond)..

Great point about the women getting to stay for 4 years. I've said the same thing for years.

If JC had that luxury we would have a couple more bed sheets in the rafters.

Would love to see Geno have to deal with the same rules that JC/KO have/had to deal with and see what the results would be.

Not having Stewart, Taurasi, Moore, Bird. Lobo and Charles etc. for 4 years. I think would tend to slow the machine that UCONN women's basketball is down. Geno would still be a HOF coach he just wouldn't have non stop Championships.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Somehow I think Geno will find a way to live with your disinterest.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You realize that the women's programs at every other university in the country are also able to recruit from the same pool and maintain their players for the same four year period right? Until anyone else comes close to doing it the way Geno has I find it hard to believe that you can't find some level of respect and admiration for what he's created and maintained.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Somehow I think Geno will find a way to live with your disinterest.
I hope he lives long and happy, represents the university well. Nothing against him personally.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You realize that the women's programs at every other university in the country are also able to recruit from the same pool and maintain their players for the same four year period right? Until anyone else comes close to doing it the way Geno has I find it hard to believe that you can't find some level of respect and admiration for what he's created and maintained.
I never said I didn't respect him, I'm saying his accomplishments aren't as special as some would like to pretend.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't want people to think I don't like geno or the women's program, that's not the case. I'm just arguing his accomplishments and in comparisons to our game. No hate here

Reaction Score
I don't root against the Women, but I think it is idiotic of you to say that they didn't get the top recruit last year when they got 3 of the top 5 players and then 3 of the top 4 for next year. According to ESPN, last year Rutgers got 1 four star and a three star, next year 1 four and 3 threes. In the same time UConn got 7 five stars. That is a vast difference in talent.
Totally untrue about the recruiting rankings of last years players. One was rated as high as number 2 but the other three players were like 18,33 and 35. And there are other teams that recruit as well as he does but have no titles......why not? The year before last year his only recruit was rated in the 70's.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
I don't want people to think I don't like geno or the women's program, that's not the case. I'm just arguing his accomplishments and in comparisons to our game. No hate here
No one with more than a scintilla of intelligence would compare the accomplishments of a women's coach versus a men's. That said, there is no denying how ridiculously successful Geno has been. Im only a very casual fan of the women's team (i cheer for everything UCONN) but it seems awfully clear that he is the greatest coach in the history of the womens game and that is quite an accomplishment in its own right.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
No one with more than a scintilla of intelligence would compare the accomplishments of a women's coach versus a men's. That said, there is no denying how ridiculously successful Geno has been. Im only a very casual fan of the women's team (i cheer for everything UCONN) but it seems awfully clear that he is the greatest coach in the history of the womens game and that is quite an accomplishment in its own right.
The reason nobody will compare it is because they know the Mens game is much harder for the "greats." I don't think geno could win in the men's game, but I think lots of the great men's coaches would thrive under the women's game. Of course it's great for him he's the most accomplished girls coach ever, I commend him, but I don't think he belongs in any convos with other great coaches from other sports.

Reaction Score
Totally untrue about the recruiting rankings of last years players. One was rated as high as number 2 but the other three players were like 18,33 and 35. And there are other teams that recruit as well as he does but have no titles.why not? The year before last year his only recruit was rated in the 70's.

We're not stupid here. He has girls for 4 years and a full roster of Top 20 players so sometimes he doesn't have room. That would be the only time he would have on a Top 70 player - who was that by the way?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I disagree. Geno would be a very good men's coach. People talk about the talent his teams have but he won before he had this kind of talent. Remember his Kerri Bascom teams? They didn't have overwhelming talent. Basketball, when it comes down to it, is a simple game. Ball movement, find the open man, and hit free throws. Do this and you win with men or women. We'll never see it, but I'd have loved to see Geno coach the men for one season.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I disagree. Geno would be a very good men's coach. People talk about the talent his teams have but he won before he had this kind of talent. Remember his Kerri Bascom teams? They didn't have overwhelming talent. Basketball, when it comes down to it, is a simple game. Ball movement, find the open man, and hit free throws. Do this and you win with men or women. We'll never see it, but I'd have loved to see Geno coach the men for one season.
It may not translate. The levers necessary to light the fire in a female and to get them to play cohesively are most likely different than for guys. Geno has mastered the approach for the woman athlete. That's his major accomplishment imo. And not an easy one by any stretch of the imagination. Ask any guy who has been married for a while or has lots of female children or any employer with lots of women. The only thing equally difficult is for women to put up with men. Ask any women who has been married for a while...........

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
It may not translate. The levers necessary to light the fire in a female and to get them to play cohesively are most likely different than for guys. Geno has mastered the approach for the woman athlete. That's his major accomplishment imo. And not an easy one by any stretch of the imagination. Ask any guy who has been married for a while or has lots of female children or any employer with lots of women. The only thing equally difficult is for women to put up with men. Ask any women who has been married for a while......
But the strange thing is, Geno is successful because he coaches the girls like they're men. He's tough on them and doesn't mind bruising egos for the good of the team. Another reason Geno would have been a great men's coach (too late now as he's too old to re-make himself) is that he's a charmer like Calipari. Some would say, "but that only works with girls, not male recruits." Those people are missing the key point: the real charmies (is that even a word??) aren't the player's, THEY'RE THE MOMS! There are many single parent homes in America, but the single parent is nearly always a mom. Geno could work moms of boys as well as he does moms of girls and moms have a huge influence on the college choices of recruits.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
The reason nobody will compare it is because they know the Mens game is much harder for the "greats." I don't think geno could win in the men's game, but I think lots of the great men's coaches would thrive under the women's game. Of course it's great for him he's the most accomplished girls coach ever, I commend him, but I don't think he belongs in any convos with other great coaches from other sports.
Whaty makes you think even remotely that great men's coaches would "thrive" in the women's game? Just curious but need to call you out on that one because you are certain Geno wouldn't win in the men's game? I have no idea whether either would or would not succeed but enjoy each for what the are not what they are not

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
An extraordinary thread. The women's game isn't the men's game any more than field hockey is bowling. But I don't care, because I'm a UConn fan. I've never been to a field hockey game, probably never will, but I'm happy when any team from my school succeeds. I can't see putting one down at the expense of the other because really, the only thing the hoop sports have in common is the court they play on. The four year versus one and done is irrelevant to me because each program competes within its own universe of rules. I dislike Squid as much as anyone, and how he manages to ethically get so much talent every year is obviously interesting, but an awful lot of Husky fans would love to have the same players UK gets. If he gets an occasional NC out of it, that's what the eligibility rules allow. Nobody cried when Drummond committed to us even though it was 99% that he was going to be one and done.

The fact is that the UConn women's hoop teams are the Rolls Royce of their game. They don't win every year, but they are never out of the discussion for the last 20 freakin' years. GA will be the first to say that it takes talent. But it should not go unnoticed that Baylor had two great first team AAs play together for three years, including arguably the most dominating center in college women's hoop history, and won only one championship. I can't imagine that have happening with Auriemma and his crew. Even accounting for the time and place, what separated John Wooden from everyone else in his day was that he not only got a lot of great talent, but he got them to play great team ball on both sides of the ball. That's what GA does with his teams. If they lose, it usually is in a dog fight (no pun intended).

I also think it's fine to criticize performance. I root hard for the men's team, but it's hard not to notice how inconsistent they are and pretty much have regularly been under KO. I want like crazy for him to succeed. Yes, his competition is much greater in the men's game, but we all can see what we see. The intensity comes and goes on D. The ball movement sucks, especially given that 90% of our coaching staff were college guards and some were head coaches as well. The big men don't really develop. I suspect that Auriemma as a head men's coach would at least get more routinely even performances. I know we won the NC last year, but to be honest, that came out of the blue, thanks to a clutch game 1 play and then the most consistent D we saw all year and one phenomenal individual tournament by SN. And back to JC, whom I think it would have been justifiable to name the football field after because the notion of big time football in Storrs just never happens without the men's hoop success, he was hardly perfect either. His sideline behavior made me cringe a lot. His teams also weren't great ball movement teams, but he was demanding as they come and did get a lot out of most of his players. He put the lie to the idea that great players would never show up in backwoods Storrs except in a visiting uniform.

We have been damn lucky to be UConn fans of any sport.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
An extraordinary thread. The women's game isn't the men's game any more than field hockey is bowling. But I don't care, because I'm a UConn fan. I've never been to a field hockey game, probably never will, but I'm happy when any team from my school succeeds. I can't see putting one down at the expense of the other because really, the only thing the hoop sports have in common is the court they play on. The four year versus one and done is irrelevant to me because each program competes within its own universe of rules. I dislike Squid as much as anyone, and how he manages to ethically get so much talent every year is obviously interesting, but an awful lot of Husky fans would love to have the same players UK gets. If he gets an occasional NC out of it, that's what the eligibility rules allow. Nobody cried when Drummond committed to us even though it was 99% that he was going to be one and done.

The fact is that the UConn women's hoop teams are the Rolls Royce of their game. They don't win every year, but they are never out of the discussion for the last 20 freakin' years. GA will be the first to say that it takes talent. But it should not go unnoticed that Baylor had two great first team AAs play together for three years, including arguably the most dominating center in college women's hoop history, and won only one championship. I can't imagine that have happening with Auriemma and his crew. Even accounting for the time and place, what separated John Wooden from everyone else in his day was that he not only got a lot of great talent, but he got them to play great team ball on both sides of the ball. That's what GA does with his teams. If they lose, it usually is in a dog fight (no pun intended).

I also think it's fine to criticize performance. I root hard for the men's team, but it's hard not to notice how inconsistent they are and pretty much have regularly been under KO. I want like crazy for him to succeed. Yes, his competition is much greater in the men's game, but we all can see what we see. The intensity comes and goes on D. The ball movement sucks, especially given that 90% of our coaching staff were college guards and some were head coaches as well. The big men don't really develop. I suspect that Auriemma as a head men's coach would at least get more routinely even performances. I know we won the NC last year, but to be honest, that came out of the blue, thanks to a clutch game 1 play and then the most consistent D we saw all year and one phenomenal individual tournament by SN. And back to JC, whom I think it would have been justifiable to name the football field after because the notion of big time football in Storrs just never happens without the men's hoop success, he was hardly perfect either. His sideline behavior made me cringe a lot. His teams also weren't great ball movement teams, but he was demanding as they come and did get a lot out of most of his players. He put the lie to the idea that great players would never show up in backwoods Storrs except in a visiting uniform.

Well put

Reaction Score

I also think it's fine to criticize performance. I root hard for the men's team, but it's hard not to notice how inconsistent they are and pretty much have regularly been under KO. I want like crazy for him to succeed. Yes, his competition is much greater in the men's game, but we all can see what we see. The intensity comes and goes on D. The ball movement sucks, especially given that 90% of our coaching staff were college guards and some were head coaches as well. The big men don't really develop. I suspect that Auriemma as a head men's coach would at least get more routinely even performances. I know we won the NC last year, but to be honest, that came out of the blue, thanks to a clutch game 1 play and then the most consistent D we saw all year and one phenomenal individual tournament by SN. And back to JC, whom I think it would have been justifiable to name the football field after because the notion of big time football in Storrs just never happens without the men's hoop success, he was hardly perfect either. His sideline behavior made me cringe a lot. His teams also weren't great ball movement teams, but he was demanding as they come and did get a lot out of most of his players. He put the lie to the idea that great players wo;)uld never show up in backwoods Storrs except in a visiting uniform.

I'm good with most of it cohen but when you talk about "ball movement, inconsistent play" etc etc by the men you are once again not comparing apples to apples. When the men played Coppin State they looked like world beaters didn't they - they moved the ball, dunked when they wanted to, threw 5 passes for open looks for 3 and made them. Made steals on defense turned them into lay ups. It was a thing of beauty. Ok so now the clincher - UConn women play "Coppin State" 95% of their games. You know what I mean so try to be fair to our great mens coaches. And Geno isn't getting anything more out of Brimah than our mens staff, he's not learning anything or retaining anything as of yet that's all it is.

Other than that not a bad post!;)

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm good with most of it cohen but when you talk about "ball movement, inconsistent play" etc etc by the men you are once again not comparing apples to apples. When the men played Coppin State they looked like world beaters didn't they - they moved the ball, dunked when they wanted to, threw 5 passes for open looks for 3 and made them. Made steals on defense turned them into lay ups. It was a thing of beauty. Ok so now the clincher - UConn women play "Coppin State" 95% of their games. You know what I mean so try to be fair to our great mens coaches. And Geno isn't getting anything more out of Brimah than our mens staff, he's not learning anything or retaining anything as of yet that's all it is.

Other than that not a bad post!;)

Well, mau, in fairness to the obvious overall brilliance of my post, in my head I'm comparing our ball movement to what I see a whole lot of our opponents do against us and other teams. We are way too often seemingly aimless. We played exactly two complete games against good teams and it showed when we beat Tulsa and SMU. But I'll give you s pass not only because you're mau, but I freakin love your Avatar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom