OT -Our Women | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT -Our Women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's Saniya Chong. Yes he had a 1,2 and 10 class before Saniya Chong but where are the 1-10 recruits from other classes.....not at UCONN. Why aren't they winning titles........because they're not. My guess and my eyes tell me it's coaching. He doesn't take only the best. He takes girls that fit his system. Of your not a true Follower than trust me your fooling yourself to think its because he gets the best players. he misses out on plenty.
We're not stupid here. He has girls for 4 years and a full roster of Top 20 players so sometimes he doesn't have room. That would be the only time he would have on a Top 70 player - who was that by the way?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Whaty makes you think even remotely that great men's coaches would "thrive" in the women's game? Just curious but need to call you out on that one because you are certain Geno wouldn't win in the men's game? I have no idea whether either would or would not succeed but enjoy each for what the are not what they are not
Much less competition. Let's take Izzo for example. He'd get any girl he wants cause he's Izzo, and people naturally want to play for legends. He'd be able to coach all the top talent he chooses up to four years, and you won't convince me geno is a better talent developer than Izzo. I'm being very general but I think a select bunch of great coaches could coach the women's game, obviously not everyone... Also I doubt geno could manage the egos of some of these guys, it's a lot harder to coach players who can create for themselves, which let's face it, a lot of the women's game is passing cause not many of them can create for themselves.

Reaction Score
UConn has an eight-player rotation this year. Two seniors, two juniors, two sophomores (one redshirted) and two freshmen. A couple of them weren't really big time recruits (Chong in particular - Nurse was foreign and has been better than expected
Not really. She made the Canadian national team - in high school. The recruiting services basically just ignore foreign players. Nurse was probably a top 5 recruit, if not higher, if she played in the US. That was the only thing standing between UConn and the top rated recruiting class - Nurse basically was ignored as if she didn't count somehow.

Reaction Score
Sorry he has his pick of any top talent in the country, very rarely does a girl pass up on playing for him if he wants her, but he gets them for 4 years. It's unbelievable
Simply not true. He gets his fair share, or more, of the top talent, but he hasn't gotten a haul of a bunch of top 5 players since the Bird, Jones, Williams, Cash, Walters class over 15 years ago.

Reaction Score
Much less competition. Let's take Izzo for example. He'd get any girl he wants cause he's Izzo, and people naturally want to play for legends. He'd be able to coach all the top talent he chooses up to four years, and you won't convince me geno is a better talent developer than Izzo. I'm being very general but I think a select bunch of great coaches could coach the women's game, obviously not everyone... Also I doubt geno could manage the egos of some of these guys, it's a lot harder to coach players who can create for themselves, which let's face it, a lot of the women's game is passing cause not many of them can create for themselves.
Really ? You're actually telling me that if Tom Izzo quit the men's game right now and took over some women's team that he would instantly replicate Geno's success ?

Whatever. A completely baseless bunch of nonsense.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Some really good points. First off, having coached boys baseball and girls fastpitch, I can attest that there is a different approach to coaching each. That was at the HS level, though. Maybe at the college level, the elite female athlete is more receptive to being pushed hard. Secondly, as someone else pointed out team games are about creating space offensively and then exploiting the movement to space. What I saw the other night was that anyone of the 5 Huskies on the floor was able to dart from one area into the empty space and make something happen. Tuck would move from the low post to the beyond the arc into an open spot. She wouldn't take the 3 but she was smart enough and coached well enough to know that when a defender moved into her space it would create an open space for someone else to take advantage of. The men did not do that at all this year. They'd sling the ball from one occupied space to another instead of doing something to create space. And even when they had open space they'd misfire or travel or not anticipate the next open space and move or pass to a teammate moving into it.

Reaction Score
It's fairly remarkable that UConn has the single most dominant team in the entire world of organized sport - and some people fail to realize how unique that is.

No team has won a dual national championship except for Uconn which has done it twice, I believe other schools have had both teams in the FF in the same season once, Uconn has done it 4 times, 2004, 2009, 2011, and 2014.

Reaction Score
Simply not true. He gets his fair share, or more, of the top talent, but he hasn't gotten a haul of a bunch of top 5 players since the Bird, Jones, Williams, Cash, Walters class over 15 years ago.

So #1, #2 and #6 (Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck) in 2012 is what?

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
How do you know it's the offseason???

We're talking about womens basketball for Christ sake, what's next fellas? Soccer?

Reaction Score
I'm good with most of it cohen but when you talk about "ball movement, inconsistent play" etc etc by the men you are once again not comparing apples to apples. When the men played Coppin State they looked like world beaters didn't they - they moved the ball, dunked when they wanted to, threw 5 passes for open looks for 3 and made them. Made steals on defense turned them into lay ups. It was a thing of beauty. Ok so now the clincher - UConn women play "Coppin State" 95% of their games. You know what I mean so try to be fair to our great mens coaches. And Geno isn't getting anything more out of Brimah than our mens staff, he's not learning anything or retaining anything as of yet that's all it is.

Other than that not a bad post!;)
No, the women don't play coppin state 95% of the time. They play plenty of teams that are the equivalent of playing the Duke men if they were coached by Pastner. They play a lot of talented teams with bad coaches. He is just that much better than the rest of them. If there was more coaching parity, he would still be at least as successful as coach K.

I see a lot of people here that get it. The rest are butt hurt Calhoun soldiers who still won't let perceived slights from way back in the past go.

Reaction Score
How do you know it's the offseason???

We're talking about womens basketball for Christ sake, what's next fellas? Soccer?
Do you have a big exhaust pipe on your pickup truck or Evo...fella?

Reaction Score

Your obsession with other people's penises is well past the point of creepy. It's 2015, I'm sure you can find a group of like-minded individuals who will help you work through these issues anonymously.

Reaction Score
So #1, #2 and #6 (Stewart, Jefferson, Tuck) in 2012 is what?
Three players from one class that is less than Kentucky gets every year? And I just want to say again that Calipari is a mediocre coach...because that annoys some people...and it is true. He is a great, albeit sleazy, recruiter but a mediocre coach. I would love to say he sucks but I have to admit he isn't pastner.

Reaction Score
Three players from one class that is less than Kentucky gets every year? And I just want to say again that Calipari is a mediocre coach...because that annoys some people...and it is true. He is a great, albeit sleazy, recruiter but a mediocre coach. I would love to say he sucks but I have to admit he isn't pastner.

Show me the year that Kentucky got the #1, #2, and #6 player.

Reaction Score
Your obsession with other people's penises is well past the point of creepy. It's 2015, I'm sure you can find a group of like-minded individuals who will help you work through these issues anonymously.
I thought you had me on ignore? A loser and squid fan boy is no way to go through life.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
You're gonna have to buy me a drink first darlin, but I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied with the size of my "exhaust pipe" ;)

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's fairly remarkable that UConn has the single most dominant team in the entire world of organized sport - and some people fail to realize how unique that is.
Damn straight.

Reaction Score
It's Saniya Chong. Yes he had a 1,2 and 10 class before Saniya Chong but where are the 1-10 recruits from other classes.....not at UCONN. Why aren't they winning titles...because they're not. My guess and my eyes tell me it's coaching. He doesn't take only the best. He takes girls that fit his system. Of your not a true Follower than trust me your fooling yourself to think its because he gets the best players. he misses out on plenty.

I believe you will find posts of mine which have mentioned that he is by far the best coach int he women's game. No matter what the talent - but there's never been a time where he hasn't won an NC without a great roster. Pretty simple even for a not so true Follower of UConn women.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No, the women don't play coppin state 95% of the time. They play plenty of teams that are the equivalent of playing the Duke men if they were coached by Pastner. They play a lot of talented teams with bad coaches. He is just that much better than the rest of them. If there was more coaching parity, he would still be at least as successful as coach K.

I see a lot of people here that get it. The rest are butt hurt Calhoun soldiers who still won't let perceived slights from way back in the past go.

Yeah you got it figured out pal. Wow, what else can I say about your brilliance.

Reaction Score
Well, mau, in fairness to the obvious overall brilliance of my post, in my head I'm comparing our ball movement to what I see a whole lot of our opponents do against us and other teams. We are way too often seemingly aimless. We played exactly two complete games against good teams and it showed when we beat Tulsa and SMU. But I'll give you s pass not only because you're mau, but I freakin love your Avatar.

We were very aimless this year but the talent and brains on this team had everything to do with it not the coaching. Not saying they didn't have something to do with it, no one gets a pass, but there are some key ingredients on this team that really don't understand what to do out there and never learn from their own mistakes. Right there tells you all you need to know.

The women are great no doubt, want to see them blitz everyone but the truth is this is and will never be an even playing field. As long as we separate the 2 and let them stand alone it's all good. We are fortunate to have 2 great programs in the winter that's for sure.

Reaction Score
I'm good with most of it cohen but when you talk about "ball movement, inconsistent play" etc etc by the men you are once again not comparing apples to apples. When the men played Coppin State they looked like world beaters didn't they - they moved the ball, dunked when they wanted to, threw 5 passes for open looks for 3 and made them. Made steals on defense turned them into lay ups. It was a thing of beauty. Ok so now the clincher - UConn women play "Coppin State" 95% of their games. You know what I mean so try to be fair to our great mens coaches. And Geno isn't getting anything more out of Brimah than our mens staff, he's not learning anything or retaining anything as of yet that's all it is.

Other than that not a bad post!;)
1. The women play almost all of the top women's teams, or at least the ones with the guts to play them.
2. The men really were very inconsistent, but several things were locks.
2a. They couldn't catch passes and were never ready to shoot.
2b. They stepped out-of-bounds when catching passes at least once per game.

Hopefully that changes next year for the guys. Not worried about the girls... they'll be going for #4 in a row as the chalk.

Reaction Score
Geno would be a great great coach if he coached a men's team. Of that I have no doubt. It's stupid to discount what he has accomplished simply because its women's basketball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom