OT - Lebron sticking up for Ray | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT - Lebron sticking up for Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Teams play with more than one three-point shooter on the floor, you know. "Three-point shooter" isn't a position. Miller is much too old and creaky to play the 2 - which is Ray's primary position. Miller plays the 3 and sometimes acts as a stretch 4 when the Heat go really small (as does Battier). Terry was direct competition for minutes backing up a Rondo-Bradley backcourt.

He also didn't go to the Heat the first chance he got. He came to the C's with a three-year deal and played five. First time his contract was up, he signed on for two more.

Nothing delicate about what Ray did. You're projecting your own feelings on to him.

I'm just saying leaving wasn't a petty move, leaving for the Heat was in a way. So I was just saying that if he made the decision to go to the team that his former fans would hate the most, then he made the right decision, but it was petty.

Bottom line is I'm not here to just whine about Ray leaving, the point is that Lebron is a moron... Ray going from BOS to MIA was absolutely nothing like Pierce and KG going from BOS to BKN, and any adult who thinks theyre similar, let alone an NBA allstar, is seriously deluded to think so.

Reaction Score
Seriously, did Ray nail your GF back in the day or something? Your obsession with him boarders on creepy.

Far more obsessed with the God that is Kemba Walker, if Kemba impregnated my girlfriend, I would shout it from the rooftops and feel blessed whenever I entered her

I hated Ray simply because he did what aging NBA players WITHOUT A RING do... I'm fine with going to the best possible place to end up with a ring but only if you don't already have one... No one wants to retire without a ring, so when guys like Payton/Malone went to LA, I understood it fully. But I think there's a point where you play the game because you love the game and its paying you millions a year, you don't simply exist to run to whatever team is the hot place to be favored to win the championship

It sends a stupid message out to the young guys coming up right now. It basically says, why bother going to a mid-major or a less than elite team if you can go to Kentucky? If all guys simply went to the 'best' place they could, the NCAA and NBA would be a lot more awful

Reaction Score
I think God works in mysterious ways.

If you are hung up on Ray Allen leaving the Celtics ... get over yourself. OBVIOUSLY ... his tenure at that Green team was over. They were using him less; dismissing his value; and constantly looking to use him as a trading piece. Money money money ... but ultimately Ray Allen saw his way to a better circumstance for his family and his career. Fan boys for the Celtics be damned. You just sound stupid on a UConn website opining this.

In the arc of time, I think Ray hitting one of the most famous shots in the history of the league validates all that happened. It was fate. KG is a baby. PP has had a good Green career. But, this move by Ray Allen was perfect. He did nothing but what a alert professional athlete should do.

Reaction Score
Have to disagree with you, ray is not one of the greatest shooters of all time, he's THE greatest shooter all time ;-)

So then why exactly was Ray so terrified when the Celts signed Jason Terry? Everyone who defends every step Mr Allen has ever taken all point to the Celtics other signings as the reason he had to leave. My only point was, he wasn't going to the team that would most benefit from him being there, they already had multiple 3-point threats (although there are none like Allen in the league right now)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Far more obsessed with the God that is Kemba Walker, if Kemba impregnated my girlfriend, I would shout it from the rooftops and feel blessed whenever I entered her

I hated Ray simply because he did what aging NBA players WITHOUT A RING do... I'm fine with going to the best possible place to end up with a ring but only if you don't already have one... No one wants to retire without a ring, so when guys like Payton/Malone went to LA, I understood it fully. But I think there's a point where you play the game because you love the game and its paying you millions a year, you don't simply exist to run to whatever team is the hot place to be favored to win the championship

It sends a stupid message out to the young guys coming up right now. It basically says, why bother going to a mid-major or a less than elite team if you can go to Kentucky? If all guys simply went to the 'best' place they could, the NCAA and NBA would be a lot more awful
Yeah, that definitely was not less creepy. Especially the first paragraph.

Reaction Score
So then why exactly was Ray so terrified when the Celts signed Jason Terry? Everyone who defends every step Mr Allen has ever taken all point to the Celtics other signings as the reason he had to leave. My only point was, he wasn't going to the team that would most benefit from him being there, they already had multiple 3-point threats (although there are none like Allen in the league right now)

You're fabricating arguments now. There is nothing from Ray's mouth about being terrified of Terry. Or even that Terry was a factor (other than perhaps saying "they went their way, I went mine.").

In his last playoff run with Boston, he wasn't getting open. Pierce and KG weren't drawing double teams to cause defenses to collapse. Rondo could break down the defense, but Ray's man never left him to help. If he came off a Brandon Bass screen off the ball, Brandon Bass would be left wide open as two guys went to make sure Ray couldn't catch and shoot.

In Miami, he got better looks playing off James/Wade, and spacing the floor for them. He's not as explosive coming around screens any more, so he's more valuable playing off others. He needed a Clippers/Heat type of lineup around him, and the Celtics needed someone else who could create their own shot, rather than an aging guy running off screens who defenders never left open. Swapping Terry for Allen in the free agent market made sense for Boston (or the Mayo trade, if that happened). Going to Miami made sense for Ray.

Reaction Score
I'm just saying leaving wasn't a petty move, leaving for the Heat was in a way. So I was just saying that if he made the decision to go to the team that his former fans would hate the most, then he made the right decision, but it was petty.

Bottom line is I'm not here to just whine about Ray leaving, the point is that Lebron is a moron... Ray going from BOS to MIA was absolutely nothing like Pierce and KG going from BOS to BKN, and any adult who thinks theyre similar, let alone an NBA allstar, is seriously deluded to think so.

So it's only ok to switch teams if you don't have a ring? And if you have one, you should rot in whatever situation you're in, no matter how unhappy you are and how much they don't really want you (as evidenced by him being in pretty much every trade scenario Boston entertained over his last year and a half)? Gotcha. If anything, Ray leaving is MORE acceptable because he was a FREE AGENT. He had fulfilled his contract with the team and exercised his option to move on.

Reaction Score
So it's only ok to switch teams if you don't have a ring? And if you have one, you should rot in whatever situation you're in, no matter how unhappy you are and how much they don't really want you (as evidenced by him being in pretty much every trade scenario Boston entertained over his last year and a half)? Gotcha. If anything, Ray leaving is MORE acceptable because he was a FREE AGENT. He had fulfilled his contract with the team and exercised his option to move on.

oh great analysis, because I said nothing of that sort. Can you actually read? If you want your point of view in my terms, what I was saying is that if you have a ring, you shouldn't become a journeyman going from top competitor to top competitor. There are about 25 teams he could have gone to that wouldn't get anyone upset at all, he went to the #1 team that was the "easy chance for a ring" situation

So ray leaving the team as a free agent is more acceptable to you than when the team deals a player in a trade, of which they don't really have a choice? that makes zero sense, and I know that KG had a no trade clause, but that was more to keep him from ending up stuck in Toronto for the end of his career if Danny Ainge found a good trade for him up there.

Reaction Score
If anyone was criticizing Ray for his decision at the time (raises hand), those criticisms should've been put to bed a long time ago ... namely at the end of regulation in Game 6 of the NBA finals.

Ray made the right decision for him and LeBron is an idiot for opening his mouth. Not sure what we're still arguing about here.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
So ray leaving the team as a free agent is more acceptable to you than when the team deals a player in a trade, of which they don't really have a choice? that makes zero sense, and I know that KG had a no trade clause, but that was more to keep him from ending up stuck in Toronto for the end of his career if Danny Ainge found a good trade for him up there.

So it would be ok for KG to not want to play in Toronto for the rest of his career, but not ok for Ray to want to play for Miami. Makes total sense now.

Reaction Score
oh great analysis, because I said nothing of that sort. Can you actually read? If you want your point of view in my terms, what I was saying is that if you have a ring, you shouldn't become a journeyman going from top competitor to top competitor. There are about 25 teams he could have gone to that wouldn't get anyone upset at all, he went to the #1 team that was the "easy chance for a ring" situation

Did you watch the playoffs at all? What part of winning the championship was "easy" for Miami? So what you're saying is that Ray should've signed with someone other than Miami, even though Miami was the perfect situation for his skillset.. just because YOU and people like you didn't like it? I'm glad I don't live my life trying to satisfy total strangers and I'm glad Ray doesn't either.
And to answer your question, YES it's more acceptable. You sign a contract, both parties fulfilled the contract (they payed him and he played basketball for them) and he decided to move on when the contract was over. Somehow to you, the organization trading you because they don't want YOU anymore (or allowing them to trade you bc you want out to a better situation) is somehow better? That makes no sense at all.

Reaction Score
At age 38, Ray doesn't have much value to a non-contender. What would the Raptors or Bobcats have done with him, besides lose and take minutes away from younger players? His skillset is valuable for exactly what Miami got him for. Clutch shooting, floor spacing, and a go-to foul shooter in end game situations.

Among contenders, the Heat, Celtics and Clips were the best options at the start of the free agent process (and the Celtics and Clips wells dried up more with the additions of Terry and Crawford). The Lakers were clearly a no with Kobe (and they used free agency to get Howard and Nash), the Spurs were set with Manu-Neal-Green at the 2, the Thunder had Thabo-KMartin (hence Lamb in the D-league). The Bulls had Rip as a backup 2 and Rose health questions. The Knicks might have worked, but LBJ and Wade are far more willing passers than Melo and JR Smith. In hindsight, Indiana would have been a great fit for one year, especially with Granger out, but they are trying to build a young nucleus and might not have been interested in a guy in his twilight.

All the above points are merely discussing fits - there's also the financial side. A team has to have cap space or an exemption. You can't just say "he could have gone to 25 other teams" because he can't go anywhere without an offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom