OT - Lebron sticking up for Ray | The Boneyard

OT - Lebron sticking up for Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Doing an interview on ESPN about lebron calling out pierce and KG saying they owe ray an apology. After everyone including these two (especially kg) on ray for his decision they go and do the same thing. Granted they were slightly different circumstances its nice to see lebron sticking up for ray

Reaction Score
Garnett is not a good dude, it was really lousy the things they said about Ray.

Reaction Score
Oh my god, you side with Lebron here?

If you don't understand how these are 2 completely different situations, you're an idiot.

Ray Allen chose to leave as a free agent and sign for less money than he could have made in order to play with the Heat (without a doubt his former team's #1 enemy) and have the best chance for a ring.
KG and Pierce left Boston by being traded... Pierce likely would have rather retired in green and white, KG had a no trade clause that he waived ended up waiving, but understand that it wasnt as if Pierce and KG came to Ainge and asked to be traded... They didn't ditch the team, the team moved in a different direction, which they understood, and would obviously rather not deal with a rebuild and be the focus of the team while aging and losing their prowess.

Ray Allen is a mushroom cap for going to the Heat, and I completely idolized Rayray growing up. Had he not won a ring with the celtics, he could go to the Heat and I wouldn't fault him for it. However, once you win a ring, taking less money to go to the top contender (or even A top contender) makes you a greedy , which is what I consider Ray from that move.

Watching Heat games, I 100% root for Ray to take and make every shot, I don't dislike the guy, but that was a greedy, whiny, petty move he made there.

Reaction Score
how was it a greedy move when he took less money?

If you don't understand how these are 2 completely different situations, you're an idiot.

Ray Allen chose to leave as a free agent and sign for less money than he could have made in order to play with the Heat (without a doubt his former team's #1 enemy) and have the best chance for a ring.
KG and Pierce left Boston by being traded... Pierce likely would have rather retired in green and white, KG had a no trade clause that he waived ended up waiving, but understand that it wasnt as if Pierce and KG came to Ainge and asked to be traded... They didn't ditch the team, the team moved in a different direction, which they understood, and would obviously rather not deal with a rebuild and be the focus of the team while aging and losing their prowess.

Ray Allen is a mushroom cap for going to the Heat, and I completely idolized Rayray growing up. Had he not won a ring with the celtics, he could go to the Heat and I wouldn't fault him for it. However, once you win a ring, taking less money to go to the top contender (or even A top contender) makes you a greedy , which is what I consider Ray from that move.

Watching Heat games, I 100% root for Ray to take and make every shot, I don't dislike the guy, but that was a greedy, whiny, petty move he made there.

Reaction Score

Awful post.

Reaction Score

Do you think the word greedy only alludes to money greed? It was a greedy move to win more championships. Just as lebron taking less money to play with 2 other superstars was still a "greedy" move.

If all players had this mindset, all small market teams would never have a shot of winning a championship. Sure they can draft good players, but they'll leave as soon as their rookie contracts are over

Reaction Score
Greedy in a different way. He has enough money for life so taking a little less money makes no real difference. You cant buy a ring so he was greedy trying to get another by moving to a team with the best chance at doing so. He already won a ring and he took a roster spot away from someone else who could of got their first.

Reaction Score
I'm not quite sure how having the desire to win, especially in the twilight of one's career, is a bad thing. Also, due to the nature of the CBA, teams have more control over retaining the rights of young players, so they just can't up and leave as soon as they want, making your other point moot.

Do you think the word greedy only alludes to money greed? It was a greedy move to win more championships. Just as lebron taking less money to play with 2 other superstars was still a "greedy" move.

If all players had this mindset, all small market teams would never have a shot of winning a championship. Sure they can draft good players, but they'll leave as soon as their rookie contracts are over

Reaction Score
Greedy in a different way. He has enough money for life so taking a little less money makes no real difference. You cant buy a ring so he was greedy trying to get another by moving to a team with the best chance at doing so. He already won a ring and he took a roster spot away from someone else who could of got their first.

You sound silly

Reaction Score
I'm not quite sure how having the desire to win, especially in the twilight of one's career, is a bad thing. Also, due to the nature of the CBA, teams have more control over retaining the rights of young players, so they just can't up and leave as soon as they want, making your other point moot.

so really, if all the recruits we were after decided to start going to Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC, you'd support that decision, right? I mean those teams get the best recruits, so they have the best shot at delivering a championship

Having an interest in the game means you'd want a level playing field, you'd want the salary system to work to give teams in major and small markets the same chance at building a talented roster and being able to compete in the playoffs. if you think, "do whatever you can to put yourself on the best team" is the true pure sportsman's mindset, I'm sad for you

Reaction Score

KG is a punk, and Pierce is worse. They did the same thing Ray did, but he was smart enough to do it a year earlier. "You play to win the game!" Herman Edwards
The point is to win rings, especially late in your career. He could have stayed on the sinking ship in Boston, or he could go to Miami and hit one of the greatest shots in NBA Finals history. I think Ray made the right choice.

Reaction Score
KG is a punk, and Pierce is worse. They did the same thing Ray did, but he was smart enough to do it a year earlier. "You play to win the game!" Herman Edwards
The point is to win rings, especially late in your career. He could have stayed on the sinking ship in Boston, or he could go to Miami and hit one of the greatest shots in NBA Finals history. I think Ray made the right choice.

Yeah, you're right, leaving as a free agent and going to your previous teams #1 rival is the exact same thing as being traded by the franchise to a different team and simply not making a big stink about it.

Do you understand the NBA? at all? a player going from 1 team to another isnt the same thing all the time. Case in point, Dwight Howard is a total jerk, Rudy Gay is not. They both changed teams recently... so how could it not be the same exact thing!?

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
I was beside myself when Ray decided to sign with Miami. It was Donny Marshall (someone who had inside information) who told me that the Celtics front office treated Ray horribly...trying to trade him at every opportunity & signing Jason Terry before offering Ray a contract. Add Rondo to that equation & IMO, Ray had no choice but to leave. Wish he hadn't gone to Miami...but if he hadn't, he wouldn't have a 2nd ring & would be wearing a Nets uniform just like his former teammates. Doc Rivers also had Rondo problems. Is he also a for leaving Boston?

Reaction Score
so really, if all the recruits we were after decided to start going to Kentucky, Kansas, Duke, UNC, you'd support that decision, right? I mean those teams get the best recruits, so they have the best shot at delivering a championship

Having an interest in the game means you'd want a level playing field, you'd want the salary system to work to give teams in major and small markets the same chance at building a talented roster and being able to compete in the playoffs. if you think, "do whatever you can to put yourself on the best team" is the true pure sportsman's mindset, I'm sad for you

We are discussing Ray Allen's situation here, stop pulling out random scenarios that don't have anything to do with this. Lets look at all the reasons that led to Ray leaving. 1)Ray didn't like Rondo, who on the surface appears to be an ### and reportedly almost got into a fist fight with Doc Rivers, on top of the run ins he's already with Ray, KG, and Pierce. 2)Ray was included in trade scenarios that ultimately led to some bad blood between him and mgmt. 3)Ray was also having his role in the offense reduced, and was becoming reliant on a ball dominant PG who he didn't get along with. With all of these factors brewing, at the end of your career, why would you want to return to a situation that is no longer best for you, on top of playing on a team with no chance to win a title? He put himself in the situation he thought was best for him, as a grown ass man and someone who's put in 15+ years in the league, he earned that right.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score

Since when is Miami a major market?

If you think that all teammates on professional teams all magically get along, love each other, and want to play together forever you are extremely naive. There are plenty of factors that result in these kinds of decisions. Money and Winning are certainly 2 of them, but there are plenty of others.

If you asked me what shows greed - taking a pay cut usually isn't part of the formula.

Playing sports basically boils down to doing what it takes to win. There are definitely easier paths to do that. Joining a team full of all-stars is one. How is it any different then when PP, Ray, and KG all came together in the first place. We're they being greedy then?

Reaction Score
I was beside myself when Ray decided to sign with Miami. It was Donny Marshall (someone who had inside information) who told me that the Celtics front office treated Ray horribly...trying to trade him at every opportunity & signing Jason Terry before offering Ray a contract. Add Rondo to that equation & IMO, Ray had no choice but to leave. Wish he hadn't gone to Miami...but if he hadn't, he wouldn't have a 2nd ring & would be wearing a Nets uniform just like his former teammates. Doc Rivers also had Rondo problems. Is he also a for leaving Boston?

In a way he is, he made some big statement when he signed the long contract that he's in it to win it, and he wouldn't ditch the second the team wasn't relevant in the title chase. As soon as that was apparent, he found his way out to another contender. Coaches always do things like this, so I don't think he's a giant , but after making those bold statements about being in Green for the long haul, it was a pretty lame move

Reaction Score
You sound silly
U have your opinion i have mine. I have more respect for loyalty like john elway and respect his championship a hell of a lot more than a veteran bouncing from team to team to win. Its akin almost to cheating in a way.

Reaction Score
Since when is Miami a major market?

If you think that all teammates on professional teams all magically get along, love each other, and want to play together forever you are extremely naive. There are plenty of factors that result in these kinds of decisions. Money and Winning are certainly 2 of them, but there are plenty of others.

If you asked me what shows greed - taking a pay cut usually isn't part of the formula.

Playing sports basically boils down to doing what it takes to win. There are definitely easier paths to do that. Joining a team full of all-stars is one. How is it any different then when PP, Ray, and KG all came together in the first place. We're they being greedy then?

the celtics formation of the big 3 was similar to the Heat but also completely different. Bosh/Lebron/Wade were 3 superstars in their primes or at least not far from them, KG/Pierce/Ray were aging superstars past their prime all without a title who didn't want their careers to end without that ring on the resume.

In addition, I beleive that Bosh and Lebron were free agents and chose to take less money, the Celtics brought in KG and Ray through trades... so not the same thing. Sure the C's got great deals to get KG and Ray, but its still nothing like a bunch of superstars making a pact to all join together on one super team and taking pay cuts in the process.

Taking a paycut to build a championship contender isn't a gracious, selfless move... I don't get why you all seem to think it is, hopefully just your blind love of Walter Raymond Allen. Choosing to get paid 12 million instead of 16 million so that your superteam has enough money to hire other actual real players rather than bottom of the barrel guys for the minimum isn't like donating to charity. It's like agreeing to give money to a charity solely in the hopes that it will attract that gorgeous woman you wish you had on your arm. It's still greedy, just in a different manner

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
U have your opinion i have mine. I have more respect for loyalty like john elway and respect his championship a hell of a lot more than a veteran bouncing from team to team to win. Its akin almost to cheating in a way.

It's easy to stick with one team and be "loyal" when you are a John Elway or Michael Jordan - You play for good teams with a chance at a title every year and you basically run the show. Ray Allen is neither of those people. Also it's not like the C's were the first team Ray ever played for.

Also you guys are forgetting that the C's arch rivals are the Lakers not the Heat.

Reaction Score
Please..in Ray's last year with the C's it was obvious they didn't want him anymore. They gave Avery Bradley all of his minutes, especially in the playoffs, so he left.

If KG really was all high and mighty he would not have waived his no trade (ssentially killing the deal including Pierce.)

Reaction Score

bordering on the worst post I have ever seen on this board.

Ainge tried to trade Ray multiple times over his last couple years, including the deal to Memphis that fell apart at the last minute in April 2012. So you think he should have re-upped with the C's when he knows that a) they cant win and b)they'll try to deal him again...most likely to a team he doesn't want to go to.

In a professional sports league where careers are limited and free-agnecy only comes around a few times. The ability to play where you're wanted is huge. The Celtics didn't really want Ray, regardless of their offer. He knew it, everyone knew it....except the Celtic fan boys still bitching

Your whiny ass should just say thank you for the title and move on.

Reaction Score
I had a job with one insurance company and later applied and went to a different one because I was unhappy at the first. Am I a cheater too?

Reaction Score
It's easy to stick with one team and be "loyal" when you are a John Elway or Michael Jordan - You play for good teams with a chance at a title every year and you basically run the show. Ray Allen is neither of those people. Also it't not like the C's were the first team Ray ever played for.

Also you guys are forgetting that the C's arch rivals are the Lakers not the Heat.

ugh, the Lakers 'were' the celtics biggest rival from the old old old days. The Celtics had to play the Heat every year in the playoffs, before having the chance to play the lakers. During the Celts 'big 3' era, the Heat were basically the number 1 and only real competition in the East. Historically, the lakers are still the big rival, because if Lebron went back to Ohio, the Heat would probably not be the stick in the celtics butt they are now, but for now, and for the time when Ray went from the celtics to the heat, the Heat were the Celtics #1 rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom