OT: Best BBQ in CT | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Best BBQ in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Searching around to see if anyone had mentioned Bears. They've recently expanded into Hartford. Great place, the owner is always there and it's a very friendly atmosphere. The food is amazing. In the few trips I've made (who's counting??) I found that my favorite is the burnt ends with the Texas BBQ sauce on them. Wow.
I checked out the Hartford place a couple weeks ago, good stuff and the sides were very good. I also had the fattiest brisket sandwich ever at Flagstead a month ago, pretty disappointing because I liked my other trips there.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Hoodoo Brown's in Ridgefield was the source of my mojo sandwich this post-season.

As I drove to my sister's for the UConn-Cincinnati game, I stopped in, looked over the menu board, and went with "The Battle of Ridgefield," which is brisket, pork belly, and apple cole slaw on a glazed roll. If comes w/hand-cut fries that steam up & get soggy when wrapped to go.

After the 4OT victory, I could not have any other game day meal, neither wings nor turkey & ketchup.

The first sandwich was a little dry on a Thursday afternoon.
The second sandwich was moister, mostly because of the crackly fat skin layer of the pork belly.
The third sandwich, on Sunday, was better still, approaching good. By then, I was asking them not to wrap the fries and eating them on my way to my sister's. Pretty good, but still likely better for sit-down meal.
By the day of the Colorado game, I was unenthused about going back for another sandwich, but I thought it affected the mojo so I was locked in. Surprise: best sandwich yet. I'd finally recommend it.
Further surprise was that the Kansas game day sandwich was the most moist and flavorful of all. But who tries a place 4 o5 times to see if it's good?

I'm glad now that it's over, and I'm not itching to return, or interested to dining in. Prices are high, takeout window is unappealing, staff & business practices seem disorganized (and I can be quite charmed by dicey and 'unprofessional,' so it's not that). I could see sharing a future "BoR" sandwich with my Amarillo-bred sidekick on the way to or from my sister's to let her experience what I talked about, but that's about it.

News flash: I heard last week in the Westport Y sauna that Bobby Q's has closed. We shared a nice meal there, and our first flight of Bourbon.

Reaction Score
As people have previously mentioned, Nat Hayden's is great. However, Bears Smokehouse is better. Tiano's in Middletown is also solid.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Hoodoo Brown's in Ridgefield was the source of my mojo sandwich this post-season.

As I drove to my sister's for the UConn-Cincinnati game, I stopped in, looked over the menu board, and went with "The Battle of Ridgefield," which is brisket, pork belly, and apple cole slaw on a glazed roll. If comes w/hand-cut fries that steam up & get soggy when wrapped to go.

After the 4OT victory, I could not have any other game day meal, neither wings nor turkey & ketchup.

The first sandwich was a little dry on a Thursday afternoon.
The second sandwich was moister, mostly because of the crackly fat skin layer of the pork belly.
The third sandwich, on Sunday, was better still, approaching good. By then, I was asking them not to wrap the fries and eating them on my way to my sister's. Pretty good, but still likely better for sit-down meal.
By the day of the Colorado game, I was unenthused about going back for another sandwich, but I thought it affected the mojo so I was locked in. Surprise: best sandwich yet. I'd finally recommend it.
Further surprise was that the Kansas game day sandwich was the most moist and flavorful of all. But who tries a place 4 o5 times to see if it's good?

I'm glad now that it's over, and I'm not itching to return, or interested to dining in. Prices are high, takeout window is unappealing, staff & business practices seem disorganized (and I can be quite charmed by dicey and 'unprofessional,' so it's not that). I could see sharing a future "BoR" sandwich with my Amarillo-bred sidekick on the way to or from my sister's to let her experience what I talked about, but that's about it.

News flash: I heard last week in the Westport Y sauna that Bobby Q's has closed. We shared a nice meal there, and our first flight of Bourbon.

I was just about to post about HooDoo Brown's as well.

https://www.facebook.com/HoodooBrownBBQ/

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
After dropping my daughter off at Bradley yesterday afternoon, my estimation of remaining gas failed, and I made it no further than 200 yards from the end of the Rt 20 exit ramp to Rt 75. Long story short, while I awaited gas & a jump start, I charged my phone and got my first BBQ at Bear's Smokehouse. Lucky me.

I wasn't even hungry due to leftovers of Sunday's meal earlier in the day, but time & place coincided, and they were nice people, helpful to my plight as well.

All told, I liked everything I got, some very much:

50¢ Monday Monk Ball
Burnt ends (big time)
Baby back ribs
Collard greens
Cowboys beans
Broccoli salad
Corn bread w/honey butter

I will be back.

Anyone with experience : is food at the downtown Hartford branch equal to Windsor? I already can intuit the difference in atmosphere, but it's closer to home & could fit w/a movie or Infinity Hall.

In between the Hoodoo Brown's visits & this, we hosted 3 generation of family for 7 pizzas from 5 makers, but that's for another OT thread to come.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
After dropping my daughter off at Bradley yesterday afternoon, my estimation of remaining gas failed, and I made it no further than 200 yards from the end of the Rt 20 exit ramp to Rt 75. Long story short, while I awaited gas & a jump start, I charged my phone and got my first BBQ at Bear's Smokehouse. Lucky me.

I wasn't even hungry due to leftovers of Sunday's meal earlier in the day, but time & place coincided, and they were nice people, helpful to my plight as well.

50¢ Monday Monk Ball
Burnt ends (big time)
Baby back ribs
Collard greens
Cowboys beans
Broccoli salad

I will be back.

Anyone with experience : is food at the downtown Hartford branch equal to Windsor? I already can intuit the difference in atmosphere, but it's closer to home & could fit w/a movie or Infinity Hall.

In between the Hoodoo Brown's visits & this, we hosted 3 generation of family for 7 pizzas from 5 makers, but that's for another OT thread to come.

I agree, its a great place to eat
Sounds to me like you better invest some cash into that buggy of yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I picked up some Bear's on the way home from Bradley last week, thought the brisket was equally great as the pre-show Bear's I've had in Hartford.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Went to Pig Rig BBQ in Wallingford for the first time 2 weeks ago. It was so good I went back the following week. Killer pulled pork and brisket. Great sauces. Smoked mac n cheese with pulled pork in it. Great cornbread. Beans are really good (even though I don't like beans). They're really blowing up... they were only a food truck a few years ago. Now they're a small store and looking to continue to grow.

https://www.facebook.com/PigRigBBQ/reviews/
http://pigrigbbq.com/

Reaction Score

50¢ Monday Monk Ball
Burnt ends (big time)
Baby back ribs
Collard greens
Cowboys beans
Broccoli salad

I will be back.

The Hartford Bears is nice enough. It's very busy, it's actually moving to Front St within the next few months as they need more seating room.I assure you the BBQ is good. They're also opening a take out only place in South Windsor in the coming months. I've heard they use it now as a kitchen to help with the volume from the other stores. They're also opening something in Blue Back in West Hartford, think that's some sort of group effort with a restaurant group from Simsbury. Whatever they're doing, it's going well as they're expanding really quickly. I hope the quality doesn't go to crap with all the expansion.

Reaction Score
Anyone been to Gideons in Glastonbury? I live right near it and want to try it but I've never heard anything about it which makes me nervous.

Reaction Score
Bear's is a pretty crazy story if you haven't heard it. He started out cooking out of the side of Bart's Luncheonette in Windsor. It's basically a hot dog and fries, egg sandwich type little drive-in. Quickly, the word spread about the BBQ this guy was doing and he started selling out and creating a buzz. He started pushing his marketing and was a finalist for a GoDaddy.com Super Bowl commercial with Danica Patrick. From there, he opened the Hartford spot, the spot near the airport and now it's just exploding. They actually come to my building at work one day a week and sell it out of the caf. They had a booth at the Traveler's (GHO or whatever it's called), scheduled to be in the Yard Goats park, etc. And I've never really heard anyone say a bad thing. All the feedback is usually good to very good to great. Quality is always consistent. The dude has something going, for sure.

Reaction Score
I was at Bear's downtown this weekend and an employee there said they are moving across the street into the newer buildings (where capitol grille is). He said it's going to have much more space and seating and there will be a bar. Pretty pumped for that. That Arch Street area is really nice and upcoming.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Isn't the Bear's founder also a competitive eater? I recall a former competitor of his telling me that.

I agree that the quality of Bear's is very good and consistent; don't know if anyone's mentioned that they're at Gampel now, too, which is a huge upgrade over the prior food options there imo.

I've probably mentioned it before upthread, but the only knock I have on Bear's--and it's a slight one--is that I don't love their smoke. That's a personal preference for sure, but I prefer the BBQ at Taino at Middletown for that reason.

Reaction Score
Isn't the Bear's founder also a competitive eater? I recall a former competitor of his telling me that.

Yeah, that's true. Not sure what events he competes in. I met him briefly when they were filming a Restaurant:Impossible episode in Windsor and he came by. Robert Irvine was talking to my daughter and nephew and he was standing around with us. Seemed like a pretty down to earth guy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Went to Pig Rig BBQ in Wallingford for the first time 2 weeks ago. It was so good I went back the following week. Killer pulled pork and brisket. Great sauces. Smoked mac n cheese with pulled pork in it. Great cornbread. Beans are really good (even though I don't like beans). They're really blowing up... they were only a food truck a few years ago. Now they're a small store and looking to continue to grow.

https://www.facebook.com/PigRigBBQ/reviews/
http://pigrigbbq.com/
Lady Hans, a west TX girl, liked Pig Rig for brisket and I had pulled pork sandwich when we did a recon last summer. We have a pending Living Social for a return on a nice spring day.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Lady Hans, a west TX girl, liked Pig Rig for brisket and I had pulled pork sandwich when we did a recon last summer. We have a pending Living Social for a return on a nice spring day.

Fantastic food and the guys running the place seemed really nice.

They also have a groupon for $20 worth of BBQ for $8, so basically $12 off... can't beat that.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's true. Not sure what events he competes in.

He has supreme self-confidence, it appears. Last time I was there, they had the Bear's Challenge. Put up $100, pick a meat and if you eat more than he does in 10 minutes you win $1,000.

Reaction Score
had to include these real bar-b-que joints, though not in Ct. If you're ever in Central Texas, I recommend;

In Lockhart, Texas;

* Kreuz Meat Market and Bar-b-que
* Blacks Bar-b-que
* Smittys Bar-b-que

In Luling, Texas;

* City Market

In Elgin, Texas;

* Southside Market

In Llano, Texas:

* Coopers Pit Bar-b-que

You will not go wrong with any of these, guaranteed!

Reaction Score
had to include these real bar-b-que joints, though not in Ct. If you're ever in Central Texas, I recommend;

In Lockhart, Texas;

* Blacks Bar-b-que
* Smittys Bar-b-que

In Luling, Texas;

* City Market

In Elgin, Texas;

* Southside Market

In Llano, Texas:

* Coopers Pit Bar-b-que

I had other worldly brisket at La BBQ in Austin. It sounds snobby, but there is nothing similar here. I am going to try out Hoodoo Brown this week. I have heard mixed things but excited to try it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

In Lockhart, Texas;

* Blacks Bar-b-que
* Smittys Bar-b-que

In Luling, Texas;

* City Market

In Elgin, Texas;

* Southside Market

In Llano, Texas:

* Coopers Pit Bar-b-que

No Salt Lick?

Reaction Score
Nah, Salt Lick is there too, great brisket! Nice little ride out there. But, if you go on the weekends, you're going to be sharing the place with about a 1000 others! La BBQ is excellent as well, the ribs are killer! Another place I forgot to mention is Louie Muellers in Taylor, Texas. If you want a good beef rib, that's the place but, bring your wallet full of cash or the plastic because it's going to cost you. You could probably say that about most BBQ joints, they're proud of their product, and if I could bbq like that, so would I!

I was mostly trying to call out the places around the Austin, Texas area, the BBQ joints that have been established for years. More and more of these establishments are opening up in downtown Austin, which is good for those who don't like to take a drive out into the country!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Sitting here in the 6 at Smokin' w/ Chris in Southington.

Beef Brisket sandwich + Mac n' Cheese was to die for. Amazing. I soiled my pants worse than Boeheim.

Reaction Score
Bear's is a pretty crazy story if you haven't heard it. He started out cooking out of the side of Bart's Luncheonette in Windsor. It's basically a hot dog and fries, egg sandwich type little drive-in. Quickly, the word spread about the BBQ this guy was doing and he started selling out and creating a buzz. He started pushing his marketing and was a finalist for a GoDaddy.com Super Bowl commercial with Danica Patrick. From there, he opened the Hartford spot, the spot near the airport and now it's just exploding. They actually come to my building at work one day a week and sell it out of the caf. They had a booth at the Traveler's (GHO or whatever it's called), scheduled to be in the Yard Goats park, etc. And I've never really heard anyone say a bad thing. All the feedback is usually good to very good to great. Quality is always consistent. The dude has something going, for sure.
The last couple years they have also had a stand at Rentschler Field. A friend of mine who was a Hartford detective (now retired), told me that the owner is a great guy and quite charitable in the community. He told me several stories including one about him feeding all the residents of an apartment building that were displaced by a fire the day before Thanksgiving a Thanksgiving dinner. The restaurant dining room was not open to the public that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom