OT: Best BBQ in CT | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Best BBQ in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Suzy,
The Bayou Smokehouse in Groton is recent. They moved from a small palce in Westerly RI wich I remember to be pretty good. Its just north of Chester's on Rte 12 heading toward the sub base in front of the Kohl's/Stop&Shop parking lot.
Are they in the old Russel's Ribs building?

Reaction Score
"Laugh if you Like, Texas, but NYC is now a BBQ Capital.'

The Village Voice just ran following recently (3/13) on NYC BBQ. This should keep you busy on your next trip to MSG.

They highly rcmd: BrisketTown (16th St), Fette Sau (Williamsburg), Fletcher's Brooklyn BBQ (Brooklyn), Hill Country (26th St), John Brown Smokehouse (LI City), Mable's Smokehouse (Brooklyn), and Mighty Quinn's (2nd Ave).

http://www.villagevoice.com/2013-03-13/restaurants/fat-and-happy/

I've been to Hill Country. Very big place. The bourbon selection rivals the total stock of most bars.

Reaction Score
Village Voice just ran a ran a piece on NYC BBQ. This should keep you busy on your next trip to MSG.

They highly rcmd: BrisketTown (16th St), Fette Sau (Williamsburg), Fletcher's Brooklyn BBQ (Brooklyn), Hill Country (26th St), John Brown Smokehouse (LI City), Mable's Smokehouse (Brooklyn), and Mighty Quinn's (2nd Ave).

Also rcmd: Blue Smoke (27th St), Brother Jimmy's (16th St), Daisy May's (11th Ave), Dinossaur (125th St), Fort Reno Provisions (Brooklyn), Ranger Texas (Jackson Hts), Smoke Joint (Brooklyn), Strand Smokehouse (Astoria), Virgil's (44th St), Wildwood (Park Ave South).

I've been to Hill Country. Very big place. The bourbon selection rivals the total stock of most bars.

I don't trust that VV article. I've eaten at 3 of the highlys (Brisket, Mighty Quinn's, Hill Country), none come close to Blue Smoke. (I've heard great things about Fette Sau, haven't been there). Bro. Jimmy's is run of the mill--not to be recommended at all. They've also been around for many decades.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Village Voice just ran a ran a piece on NYC BBQ. This should keep you busy on your next trip to MSG.

Also rcmd: Blue Smoke (27th St), Brother Jimmy's (16th St), Daisy May's (11th Ave), Dinossaur (125th St), Fort Reno Provisions (Brooklyn), Ranger Texas (Jackson Hts), Smoke Joint (Brooklyn), Strand Smokehouse (Astoria), Virgil's (44th St), Wildwood (Park Ave South).

Fette Sau is great. Hill Country (same owners as Austin's Salt Lick, I believe) is great. Just ate at Might Quinn's - also really solid. Blue Smoke is a Danny Meyer (Shake Shack) place - I also haven't had a bad meal there. Virgil's was probably the first good BBQ place in NYC -- there was a real absence of any good BBQ, but as you can see from your list (and my comments), that no longer is true. Wildwood's is regarded as second tier, but even that is pretty darn good. Brother Jimmy's is a chain. It's decent, but doesn't compete with any of the other ones I've commented on.

Honestly, if anyone says "there's no good BBQ in NY," then they either haven't tried recently or they're just being a snob. I've been to Rudy's and Salt Lick and Hill Country and Fette Sau easily hold their own.

As for CT, it's been a while. East Haven's Rib House (mentioned above) was a family favorite growing up (and I ate there a couple years ago) but the onion loaf was always more of a standout than the ribs were.

Upstater - really??? Haven't been to Brisket, but been to HC (and FS) many times, and MQ just last week. Blue Smoke is good but I'd rather hit HC, if only because of the sides. Maybe you just don't like buffet-style BBQ places?

Reaction Score
Upstater - really??? Haven't been to Brisket, but been to HC (and FS) many times, and MQ just last week. Blue Smoke is good but I'd rather hit HC, if only because of the sides. Maybe you just don't like buffet-style BBQ places?

I favor ribs and pulled pork. Most people putting down Blue Smoke are ordering chicken. Brisket is largely a labor of love--and Brisket-town does smoke for 20 hours, so they have that over Blue Smoke (heck, the name is Brisket!) but I was underwhelmned by the ribs and pork.

Also, the original Brother Jimmy's is the one on the upper east side. It's been there since the mid 1980s.

Reaction Score
Fette Sau is great. Hill Country (same owners as Austin's Salt Lick, I believe) is great. Just ate at Might Quinn's - also really solid. Blue Smoke is a Danny Meyer (Shake Shack) place - I also haven't had a bad meal there. Virgil's was probably the first good BBQ place in NYC -- there was a real absence of any good BBQ, but as you can see from your list (and my comments), that no longer is true. Wildwood's is regarded as second tier, but even that is pretty darn good. Brother Jimmy's is a chain. It's decent, but doesn't compete with any of the other ones I've commented on.

Honestly, if anyone says "there's no good BBQ in NY," then they either haven't tried recently or they're just being a snob. I've been to Rudy's and Salt Lick and Hill Country and Fette Sau easily hold their own.

As for CT, it's been a while. East Haven's Rib House (mentioned above) was a family favorite growing up (and I ate there a couple years ago) but the onion loaf was always more of a standout than the ribs were.

So , we should try Virgil's when it opens at Mohegan Sun?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Big Franks in Waterbury (off Route 8 just north of 84) is pretty solid. Good pulled pork.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Chester's in Groton. Excellent brisket. I usually don't like Eastern NC barbeque, but his is very good.We only tried the Cookhouse in East hartford when it was there and we were disappointed. Maybe the hype was too much.

Beat me to it.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Another vote for the Cookhouse in NM.

Love pulled pork. Love dry rub ribs. Not a fan of vingary and/or catsup based bbq sauce.

Smoke & Bones in Derby is pretty good. So is Woods Pit in Morris, which has the unique advantage of being a combination barbeque and Mexican restaurant. Nothing like an enchilada with your ribs.

There's a passable barbecue place in Rte 22 in NY called DEP'S. They also sell pizza, which comes out of a conveyor oven. I'm in there getting a pulled pork sandwich one time and a guy is looking at the menu board and asks about the pizza. The woman behind the counter says, "The pizza's not bad, but it's made by a machine, so don't expect it to be great. But I guarantee if you order the pulled pork pizza it'll be the best pulled pork pizza you ever had."

Reaction Score

You post reminded me that about 25 years ago the best ribs were at a place called Wiley's on 1st ave. The ribs are not as good as the old days (at least last time I was there.) But NYC has some great BBQ rib restaurants.

Reaction Score
I went to Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse last week. I was very impressed. I am surprise to see that Taino in Middletown hasn't been mentioned yet. I have gone twice in the past week and they give Dinosaur a run for their money. Their pulled pork is phenomenal and they have some of the best BBQ Sauce that I have ever had, better than Dinosaur in my opinion. They are starting to grow a pretty large fan base around here. Don't let their small location next to ACE Hardware fool you. This place puts out dynamite food in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I went to Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse last week. I was very impressed. I am surprise to see that Taino in Middletown hasn't been mentioned yet. I have gone twice in the past week and they give Dinosaur a run for their money. Their pulled pork is phenomenal and they have some of the best BBQ Sauce that I have ever had, better than Dinosaur in my opinion. They are starting to grow a pretty large fan base around here. Don't let their small location next to ACE Hardware fool you. This place puts out dynamite food in my opinion.

Contrary to what Texas fan said, I had some North Carolina friends (who grew up in Asheville) visit us in WNY, and I took them to Dinosaur, and they raved. They actually came up many years ago for the NCAA Buffalo regional where UConn beat DePaul. They were affiliated with Charlotte in the same regional. I was living in Rochester at the time, and so we dropped by Roch.'s Dinosaur. They were definitely BBQ people, and Dinosaur impressed them.

Reaction Score
Curtis' in Ludlow. VT. Not CT, but not NYC either. It's unbelievable! Curtis' mom was a sharecropper who came to VT with the harvest. Curtis stayed and started the BBQ. His pit is the size of 2 cars! He's been at it for 35 yrs, and 'may get the hang of it in another 5'.

Go out of my way to hit it. 1+ hrs from Hartford. 1/4 mile from exit 4 on I-91 in Ludlow, VT.

http://curtisbbqvt.com/

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Had dinner at a neighbor's house last night and they served ribs from the Meat House, a chain of butcher/grocer stores that has two Connecticut locations, Avon and Branford. The ribs were hands down the best I've had in Connecticut. They were apparently pre-cooked (assuming they were smoked from the taste/texture) and dry-rubbed, and they bought the Meat House BBQ sauce to slather and reheat them at home before serving them. Big, meaty, fall-off-the-bone and melt-in-your-mouth good. Not a hint of gristle.

We've had a lot of other products from the Meat House before and all have been excellent, especially the steak tips and chicken breast in the Meat House marinade. Will definitely be getting the ribs for ourselves now, too.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No particular opinion because I don't eat BBQ that often. But I've been to the Dinosaur in Syracuse and wasn't blown away. Had very good ribs somewhere in Arkansas off of I-40 I don't remember the name of on a cross country drive. I can't recall that I've ever been to a CT BBQ place. If so, it didn't stick to my ribs or in my minds. My BBQ preference is brisket, so maybe I'll try that place in Westport some time.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Bobby Q's in Westport is the best I've had in CT. And I've had BBQ from Memphis, Carolina, KC, Texas...and all over the south. My wife is from the south and raves about how good Bobby Q's is...and she's a very tough critic.

I have not tried Dinosaur yet...I guess I should.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I am surprise to see that Taino in Middletown hasn't been mentioned yet. I have gone twice in the past week and they give Dinosaur a run for their money. Their pulled pork is phenomenal and they have some of the best BBQ Sauce that I have ever had, better than Dinosaur in my opinion. They are starting to grow a pretty large fan base around here. Don't let their small location next to ACE Hardware fool you. This place puts out dynamite food in my opinion.
Went to Taino Smokehouse for the first time last night for dinner with the family. Tremendous BBQ--easily the best I've ever had in CT (I have not been to Dinosaur in Stamford; only the Syracuse one). Agree that their sauce is excellent, but the meat alone is also top notch imo. Great smoke. Thought the pulled pork was the standout, but the beef brisket was also excellent. I would skip the chicken next time. Not bad, but not as special as the pork and brisket. Did not get to try the ribs because they were sold out; next time.

Had both the Cajun dry rub and traditional wings and thought both were excellent--again, nice smoky flavor to the meat, perfect texture, perfect size, and well-flavored.

All the sides were also very good, including mac & cheese, collard greens, creamed spinach and corn bread. We wanted the garlic mashed potatoes, french fries or sweet potato fries but they were out 0f all of them, so they'll have to wait until next time, too.

One word of warning for anyone checking this place out: They sell out of everything every day, so call ahead and reserve what you want. It is great that everything is made fresh every day, but that also means that they are dealing with a limited supply.

They also had a few decent beers on tap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom