OT: Best BBQ in CT | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Best BBQ in CT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Uncle Willie's in Seymour and West Haven is pretty good. Very good pulled pork. And make sure to get some hush puppies too.

Reaction Score
Love me some good ribs or a pulled pork...

Dinosaur BBQ in Stamford is really good.

And honestly, Chili's baby back ribs are always solid.

Where's everyone's favorite place for some BBQ?!
Joey C's in Milford.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Went to Taino Smokehouse for the first time last night for dinner with the family. Tremendous BBQ--easily the best I've ever had in CT (I have not been to Dinosaur in Stamford; only the Syracuse one). Agree that their sauce is excellent, but the meat alone is also top notch imo. Great smoke. Thought the pulled pork was the standout, but the beef brisket was also excellent. I would skip the chicken next time. Not bad, but not as special as the pork and brisket. Did not get to try the ribs because they were sold out; next time.

Had both the Cajun dry rub and traditional wings and thought both were excellent--again, nice smoky flavor to the meat, perfect texture, perfect size, and well-flavored.

All the sides were also very good, including mac & cheese, collard greens, creamed spinach and corn bread. We wanted the garlic mashed potatoes, french fries or sweet potato fries but they were out 0f all of them, so they'll have to wait until next time, too.

One word of warning for anyone checking this place out: They sell out of everything every day, so call ahead and reserve what you want. It is great that everything is made fresh every day, but that also means that they are dealing with a limited supply.

They also had a few decent beers on tap.
I drive by that plaza often and never at a time to stop by for take out. In fact, i figured it was of a take out joint. Thanks for the review. Been wanting to sample them.

I hate when these specialty restaurants run out of stuff. I remember a place in Middletown called Jerkfish...good food while it lasted. Always out of the delish sides.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I second Smokin' With Chris.

And its so nice to see these threads again, especially after a NC.

Reaction Score
Love me some good ribs or a pulled pork...

Dinosaur BBQ in Stamford is really good.

And honestly, Chili's baby back ribs are always solid.

Where's everyone's favorite place for some BBQ?!
Flagstead Smokehouse in Farmington
Wilson's BBQ in Fairfield area was Dinner Drive ins and Dive's favorite BBQ place in the entire USA. Even over places in TN, NC TX, Kansas City, St Louis, ect. Granted the owner is from down south.
Southington has 2 good BBQ places.
No chain (Chili's) should EVER make the list of Best any kind of food!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I drive by that plaza often and never at a time to stop by for take out. In fact, i figured it was of a take out joint. Thanks for the review. Been wanting to sample them.

I hate when these specialty restaurants run out of stuff. I remember a place in Middletown called Jerkfish...good food while it lasted. Always out of the delish sides.
Yeah, I didn't realize where it was until we went there yesterday. I had only heard of it and knew it was in Middletown, so I figured it was close to downtown, which I go to often. I always take route 80 to 81 to 9 to get to downtown Middletown, and that's what I did to get there yesterday; but when I saw where it was I realized I made the trip several miles longer than just taking 79 to 17, which is the route we took home. Definitely much shorter/quicker that way.

Taino is clearly primarily a take out place, but they have around six to eight tables if you want to eat in. We called in the early afternoon to reserve a table and that was when they warned us that they make everything fresh every day, and that as a result they sell out of everything every day, so we were advised to place our order in the afternoon lest there be little left when we arrived. And they were right, because we wanted to add a half-rack of ribs, fries and/or mashed potatoes and they were out of all of them by the time we arrived at 7:00 p.m.

For our family of five we ordered two BBQ platters and 20 wings. It was way too much food--so much that our leftovers will be tonight's dinner.

Reaction Score
Flagstead Smokehouse in Farmington
Wilson's BBQ in Fairfield area was Dinner Drive ins and Dive's favorite BBQ place in the entire USA. Even over places in TN, NC TX, Kansas City, St Louis, ect. Granted the owner is from down south.
Southington has 2 good BBQ places.
No chain (Chili's) should EVER make the list of Best any kind of food!

Don't go to Wilson's. I've been there multiple times and to call it mediocre would be very kind. It really doesn't even come close to standing up to places like Bobby Q's, Smoking with Chris, or Dinosaur.

I've been to 4 places from that series I think and only one really lived up to expectations, one was good but not great, and two were very disappointing. Wilson's is bottom of the list.

Reaction Score
So the best food threads started up again...i will say that we haven't covered indian or asian yet to my recollection, but please don't start threads on them right away as they might have to last the entire off-season. Though it might not seem like it i think on the balance of things these off topic food threads are possibly the most useful things produced by the boneyard ( some of you may say the collective charity work or the tireless work of some members who update us on recruiting/news should be ranked ahead but you'd be wrong).

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Nat Hayden's in Windsor is great.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yeah, I didn't realize where it was until we went there yesterday. I had only heard of it and knew it was in Middletown, so I figured it was close to downtown, which I go to often. I always take route 80 to 81 to 9 to get to downtown Middletown, and that's what I did to get there yesterday; but when I saw where it was I realized I made the trip several miles longer than just taking 79 to 17, which is the route we took home. Definitely much shorter/quicker that way.

Taino is clearly primarily a take out place, but they have around six to eight tables if you want to eat in. We called in the early afternoon to reserve a table and that was when they warned us that they make everything fresh every day, and that as a result they sell out of everything every day, so we were advised to place our order in the afternoon lest there be little left when we arrived. And they were right, because we wanted to add a half-rack of ribs, fries and/or mashed potatoes and they were out of all of them by the time we arrived at 7:00 p.m.

For our family of five we ordered two BBQ platters and 20 wings. It was way too much food--so much that our leftovers will be tonight's dinner.

Yeah...you were way off...79 to 17. Also, on 79, heading north on the left, and south of Randoph Road, a pretty good Indian restaurant (sorry partial) called Haveli Indian. We finally stopped there and have been back twice.

Reaction Score
There is a Texas-style place in Farmington that's pretty good with the meat, but the sides need work. But it's all about the meat anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brisket is next level @ flaggstead. lots of lone star available any true detective fans

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah...you were way off...79 to 17. Also, on 79, heading north on the left, and south of Randoph Road, a pretty good Indian restaurant (sorry partial) called Haveli Indian. We finally stopped there and have been back twice.
Yeah, we've been to the Indian place a few times before; sometimes eat-in, sometimes take out. And I always do 79 for that. I just didn't know until yesterday that Taino was right up the road from there.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
8893 said:
Yeah, we've been to the Indian place a few times before; sometimes eat-in, sometimes take out. And I always do 79 for that. I just didn't know until yesterday that Taino was right up the road from there.

Both those places under 15 minutes from my house. I get Taino takeout at least once a month in the winter.its very good. Otherwise once weather is good I fire up my big green egg almost every weekend and smoke like a madman. I'm better than pretty much everything in this BBQ devoid state.

I play bobby qs a few times a year, it's probably consistently as good as anything in state.

Reaction Score
I went to Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse last week. I was very impressed. I am surprise to see that Taino in Middletown hasn't been mentioned yet. I have gone twice in the past week and they give Dinosaur a run for their money. Their pulled pork is phenomenal and they have some of the best BBQ Sauce that I have ever had, better than Dinosaur in my opinion. They are starting to grow a pretty large fan base around here. Don't let their small location next to ACE Hardware fool you. This place puts out dynamite food in my opinion.

Had some brisket there once and found it to be exceptionally dry, that, along with the tiny portion and the fairly ridiculous price for what I got and I've never gone since.

Reaction Score

Jerkfish moved down to east haven for awhile and apparently closed recently. 100% agree with the selection, but it was still much better than having pattie palace :/

Reaction Score
And just over the border in Sturbridge there's a crazy good place but can't remember the name

Are you thinking of B.T.'s? My (vegetarian) girlfriend-turned-fiancee took me there for my birthday last year. Excellent 'Que.

Little Mark's in Vernon.

For some reason I didn't like going there as a kid; probably because they didn't serve McDonald's-caliber burgers and fries. I think I'd appreciate it more now!

Reaction Score
http://www.bearsbbq.com/

Much better than Nat Hayden's, and you can BYOB.

Get there early, because everything is smoked daily, they sell out.

Searching around to see if anyone had mentioned Bears. They've recently expanded into Hartford. Great place, the owner is always there and it's a very friendly atmosphere. The food is amazing. In the few trips I've made (who's counting??) I found that my favorite is the burnt ends with the Texas BBQ sauce on them. Wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom