Ohio State AD...conference will expand...in 5 years or so | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Ohio State AD...conference will expand...in 5 years or so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Domers were talking to the Big 12, ACC, and Big Ten.....that we know about.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the groundbreaking info, Terry.

Good thing we didn't let you join 100+ years ago when you wanted to. Otherwise you wouldn't have the NDpendent identity you all hold so near and dear today. You'd be just another BUG.

What with Michigan teaching Notre Dame the friggin game itself, I guess the B1G gave ND football everything they were, everything they are, and everything they'll ever be. You Domers owe it all to The Big Ten, and you know it.

Guess that's why you ((((despise)))) us so much.

No, I have just despised everything about the Big Ten for over 50 years. Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, Joe Paterno, Gary Moeller...Fielding Yost, Fritz Crisler, all of those jackasses over the decades.

Rejecting ND and boycotting them.....trying to crush ND's football program. Yeah, thanks a whole frigging lot for "giving ND football everything they are, and everything they'll ever be".

Wanting an ND fan to like the Big Ten is like getting a UConn or West Virginia fan to express their love and affection for the ACC. It ain't happening.

P.S. Trouble in Paradise? Big Ten schools seem to have a lot of trouble selling tickets to their football games.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/07/28/iowa-joins-big-ten-schools-having-trouble-selling-football-tickets/

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not bad for an old ex-ND football player.

ND is never going to join the Big Ten. It despises the very idea.

I wish UConn well if it joins the Big Ten.

Got turf...check. Next up... Jumbotron... Kiss Cam... Big Ten... Terry has nervous breakdown.

Reaction Score
The OSU AD said that the media model would drive expansion..if the Virginia and Carolina schools stand pat, it would seem that UConn would be the only added value that would make sense for the B1G in terms of BTN carriage.

Reaction Score
No, I have just despised everything about the Big Ten for over 50 years. Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, Joe Paterno, Gary Moeller...Fielding Yost, Fritz Crisler, all of those jackasses over the decades.

Rejecting ND and boycotting them.....trying to crush ND's football program. Yeah, thanks a whole frigging lot for "giving ND football everything they are, and everything they'll ever be".

Wanting an ND fan to like the Big Ten is like getting a UConn or West Virginia fan to express their love and affection for the ACC. It ain't happening.

P.S. Trouble in Paradise? Big Ten schools seem to have a lot of trouble selling tickets to their football games.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/07/28/iowa-joins-big-ten-schools-having-trouble-selling-football-tickets/

So interestingly you glossed over the part in your own article where it mentioned that it's not a Big Ten problem but rather a college football problem?

The attendance numbers for the Big Ten compared to the rest of college football pretty much speak for themselves.

Reaction Score
So interestingly you glossed over the part in your own article where it mentioned that it's not a Big Ten problem but rather a college football problem?

The attendance numbers for the Big Ten compared to the rest of college football pretty much speak for themselves.

Well, the headliners in the article were Michigan and Iowa.

Plus, I don't dislike the rest of college football as much as the Big Ten. Why would I mention the rest?

Reaction Score
Got turf...check. Next up... Jumbotron... Kiss Cam... Big Ten... Terry has nervous breakdown.

Field Turf and video boards, sure. No Big Ten, ever.

Either way, no nervous breakdown here. This is just about sports, not real life.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Plus, I don't dislike the rest of college football as much as the Big Ten. Why would I mention the rest?

You change the topic to get in a dig on failing ticket sales in the Big10, which really isn't valid as many outside the Big10 are having the same issues. Then give the reason for giving slanted info is you "dislike the Big10 more than anybody else." Come on Terry, you are better than that.

Reaction Score
Field Turf and video boards, sure. No Big Ten, ever.

Either way, no nervous breakdown here. This is just about sports, not real life.

If it was really just about sports, ND would be in the Big Ten (instead of all this 'saints vs. sinners' crap).

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Well I would assume you were attempting to be objective and rational, as you've done a great job of in the past, so I figured you'd attempt to acknowledge that the cited problem is not specific to the Big Ten. If you're just ranting against someone for the sake of ranting, at least you're being honest. I just assumed you'd rather not come off as a bitter Notre Dame guy, though.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Well I would assume you were attempting to be objective and rational, as you've done a great job of in the past, so I figured you'd attempt to acknowledge that the cited problem is not specific to the Big Ten. If you're just ranting against someone for the sake of ranting, at least you're being honest. I just assumed you'd rather not come off as a bitter Notre Dame guy, though.
It must be exhausting having to cover every message board on the internet to proselytize for ND. He's not bitter, just tired.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="CoastAtlantic, post: 1023430

I am leaning towards them keeping the threat of expansion going in order to send a message to Disney that they could still do something even though they really couldn't to ensure that they give them the exposure they want in the next media contract. More like "pay us and we won't take any more programs."[/QUOTE]

See ... this shows the ignorance.

THE NEW PROGRAMS OPEN UP THE CONTRACT FOR GREATER NUMBERS.

These contracts have a "change of conditions" clause. When they take on 2 more, it gives them every right not to abide by the previous numbers. Like a lot of growth industries, the B1G and others have benefited each time by their ability to just ratchet up: that's how they have gone from $20m to $44m. And when the capability comes again, they can get a few more and go to $60m.

Reaction Score
Um...huh?

It's a play on "Catholics vs. Convicts". You went off on a rant about some of the greatest coaches ever, so I was thinking "here we go, again". Holier than thou Notre Dame, against all odds <cue the music> while saying "it just about sports, really". Really?

I mean, really. What would you do with all your time if you didn't have the Big Ten to rant about? All under the guise of educating the unschooled about epic Midwestern atrocities of biblical proportions.

If it was "just about sports" Notre Dame would have been in the Big Ten in 1999, or whenever that was. But no.... the philosophers and (yes, I'm going to use this word again) zealots in South Bend got ahold of it and created a ruckus that has never subsided and now hardly anyone really knows why. Oh yeah... Yost.

Ok, I feel better. I'm done now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It must be exhausting having to cover every message board on the internet to proselytize for ND. He's not bitter, just tired.

Actually, I just came back from a nine day vacation to Washington and British Columbia. I am not feeling bitter or tired. I just have greatly disliked the Big Ten for half a century.

Reaction Score
It's a play on "Catholics vs. Convicts". You went off on a rant about some of the greatest coaches ever, so I was thinking "here we go, again". Holier than thou Notre Dame, against all odds <cue the music> while saying "it just about sports, really". Really?

I mean, really. What would you do with all your time if you didn't have the Big Ten to rant about? All under the guise of educating the unschooled about epic Midwestern atrocities of biblical proportions.

If it was "just about sports" Notre Dame would have been in the Big Ten in 1999, or whenever that was. But no.... the philosophers and (yes, I'm going to use this word again) zealots in South Bend got ahold of it and created a ruckus that has never subsided and now hardly anyone really knows why. Oh yeah... Yost.

Ok, I feel better. I'm done now.

No, it wasn't any of those things you mentioned. I just always thought every one of those guys was a huge jackass.

I disliked Paterno since around 1968 and thought he was a really bad guy, even then. ( I was born/ raised in Pennsylvania). It turns out I was right.

Anyway, like I said , I wish UConn well in the Big Ten if a bid happens. Good luck, guys.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually, I just came back from a nine day vacation to Washington and British Columbia. I am not feeling bitter or tired. I just have greatly disliked the Big Ten for half a century.

You may not feel bitter, but someone displaying as much hatred for a person or thing as you have with the Big Ten is hard to explain any other way.

Reaction Score
But why are you saying this on a UConn blog? It sounds like you are having an argument with yourself. Plus, great, you can hold a grudge for 50+ years, not sure how that makes you special, unless you want to get religious, then you are special, a follower of the Judas University that doesn't give forgiveness! Your Awesome, now please either post something relevant to UConn or just go away. After-all, on this blog, the universe doesn't revolve around ND!

pj

Reaction Score
But why are you saying this on a UConn blog? It sounds like you are having an argument with yourself. Plus, great, you can hold a grudge for 50+ years, not sure how that makes you special, unless you want to get religious, then you are special, a follower of the Judas University that doesn't give forgiveness! Your Awesome, now please either post something relevant to UConn or just go away. After-all, on this blog, the universe doesn't revolve around ND!

Forgiveness has nothing to do with like or dislike. We are obliged to forgive, but we are not obliged to refrain from disliking. Some people are just dislikable. So are soggy brussel sprouts. I forgive them, they're not at fault for how they were handled, but I don't like them and don't want them near me.

Reaction Score
You may not feel bitter, but someone displaying as much hatred for a person or thing as you have with the Big Ten is hard to explain any other way.

Come on, I see and hear many people display great hatred for Notre Dame every day. To each his own.

I dislike the Big Ten just as much as other people dislike ND. Religion has nothing to do with it. I just think that from Jim Delany on down, the Big Ten is unlikeable and has been through the years.

I have my opinion, just like the people who don't like ND have theirs. I just hope that ND never has anything to do with the Big Ten.

Enough of this, sorry for thread hijack. I still wish UConn luck in joining the Big Ten. I think that UConn fits the Big Ten revenue model well.

Reaction Score
No, it wasn't any of those things you mentioned. I just always thought every one of those guys was a huge jackass.

I disliked Paterno since around 1968 and thought he was a really bad guy, even then. ( I was born/ raised in Pennsylvania). It turns out I was right.

Anyway, like I said , I wish UConn well in the Big Ten if a bid happens. Good luck, guys.
You know Terry I'm not so sure Jopa was really such a bad guy and ever since his QB threw a long spread covering TD pass/bomb on NJU in the early/mid 90s I started to hate him but now realize "stuff happens" and maybe he's just got human frailities like the rest of us !?! Nobody's all good or bad...same with institutions. I figure let it go and not let it poison us! I may hate PSU's arrogance but not the school so much.

Reaction Score
You know Terry I'm not so sure Jopa was really such a bad guy and ever since his QB threw a long spread covering TD pass/bomb on NJU in the early/mid 90s I started to hate him but now realize "stuff happens" and maybe he's just got human frailities like the rest of us !?! Nobody's all good or bad...same with institutions. I figure let it go and not let it poison us! I may hate PSU's arrogance but not the school so much.
I agree. It's ironic that someone would paint Joe Paterno as a bad guy while supporting a school with strong ties to an organization like the Catholic Church which certainly has a checkered past and could never be described as immaculate. What is it they say about glass houses?

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen from one day to the next. Some conferences think they have a long term plan and I think other conferences pretend they have a long term plan. The short term is up in the air. A few unsolved variables (MD, O'Bannon, p5 initiative) make the short term very unstable and that makes the long term up for grabs.
You left out what may be the most important variable: How fans will access content going forward. I keep hearing from friends (I should admit that this includes me) who've downsized/eliminated their cable association.

Reaction Score

Human frailties??? Tell you what, spread it in the shower for a guy twice your size then come back talking forgiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom