Ohio State AD...conference will expand...in 5 years or so | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ohio State AD...conference will expand...in 5 years or so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So I'm listening to the Tim Brando show at noon while driving in to work. His guest was CBS sports personality Dennis Dodd.
Dodd's commentary on the notion of B1G expansion was that the B1G whiffed on the opportunity to get N.D., UNC, Virginia & Georgia Tech & is just waitng & dealing behind the scenes until they again become available.
The ND mention is what I have a hard time swallowing in that group. Absolutely zero chance ND gives up their NBC contract....absolutely zero chance B1G takes them unless they do. I also think there is some bad blood between ND and the midwestern B1G schools like Michigan, Michigan St, Wisconsin and tOSU among others. Out of the 4 schools mentioned UNC and UVA are most likely the ideal candidates (both AAU, crushing blow to the ACC...HUGE tv numbers for the B1G network).

Reaction Score
So I'm listening to the Tim Brando show at noon while driving in to work. His guest was CBS sports personality Dennis Dodd.
Dodd's commentary on the notion of B1G expansion was that the B1G whiffed on the opportunity to get N.D., UNC, Virginia & Georgia Tech & is just waitng & dealing behind the scenes until they again become available.

If we're going to 18, I'd rather have KU, OU, TX and UCONN all day long.

BTW - just for conversation sake, if ND were to ever join the B1G, that would close the door on NE/Boston/NYC expansion forever, and thus, UCONN.

ND would seal up the entire region for the B1G and they would close up shop. Ain't happening tho.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No. UConn is not going to pay an exit fee to the AAC, give up all its NCAA credits and the exit fees of all the schools that have left, and be left conferenceless, if it doesn't have a guaranteed spot in a P5 conference.
Of course not. Why would they?

pj

Reaction Score
If we're going to 18, I'd rather have KU, OU, TX and UCONN all day long.

BTW - just for conversation sake, if ND were to ever join the B1G, that would close the door on NE/Boston/NYC expansion forever, and thus, UCONN.

ND would seal up the entire region for the B1G and they would close up shop. Ain't happening tho.

Agree that TX/OK/KS/UConn is better than the other 4.

But - no way Notre Dame seals up New England. You cannot dominate New England without a team here and without ever playing here. Notre Dame is fading in allegiance here as well. I'm Catholic, live in Boston, and I don't hear people talk of them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You think Notre Dame seals up the entire region for the Big Ten?

You're kidding, right?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Sure, if the conversation that you want to have is called "outlandish things that people say about Notre Dame's pull in the northeast". It's one thing if you think the B1G will close up shop if they ever added ND. I don't necessary disagree with that opinion. But if you think ND closes the door on NE/Boston/NYC forever, then you need to stop posting, move out here to the northeast, and count how many Notre Dame fans you come across. I've lived in CT my whole life and I have honestly come across only one (and that's because his grandfather went to ND and this guy never went to college himself). Sure, they have some alumni in NYC and Boston. But definitely not a "closed door" amount.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score

You're kidding, right?

Wondered what was taking you so long to chime in on this post. Figured you and Whaler had rented a cottage together in P-Town or someplace without internet access....

Reaction Score
I see the math a little bit differently. If a new B1G contract begins in January 2017 then UConn would need to announce 27 months before then or by the end of September 2014. So all this talk of conference realignment being dead scares the crap outta me. Hopefully it's just the calm before the storm
Why does everyone assume we need to give 27 months notice? Has any one school filled their obligation time wise when leaving a conference? So why would we, we would just pay a fine like everyone else and move on. The difference is that the fine we will pay will be much less than any other school that would be wanted leaving their conference. I believe this to be a NON-Issue!

Reaction Score

You're kidding, right?

I just meant in regards to TV sets in Boston, New England, etc. Seems like the B1G already did a pretty good job in the NYC > DC area with RUTG & MD. Would Notre Dame not bring in the rest of the region for the BTN??

If you don't think they would, that's fine. I hate ND anyway. I just figured the quad-fecta of ND/PSU/RUTG/MD + B1G alum would be enough to blanket the region RE the BTN. Which would then make the addition of UCONN unnecessary (to the powers that be in the Big Ten, that is.)

Either way, no worries bros, ND is never joining, so this is all just irate-Midwesterner-ultra-conservative e-speculation run amok. IMO, UCONN can do the job just as well, and would be an uplifting, positive, enthusiastic addition. Rather than the century of bad blood, ego, sulking fans and BS that would accompany ND. Barf.

KU/UCONN >>>>>>>>>>> bring it.

Reaction Score
Agree that TX/OK/KS/UConn is better than the other 4.

But - no way Notre Dame seals up New England. You cannot dominate New England without a team here and without ever playing here. Notre Dame is fading in allegiance here as well. I'm Catholic, live in Boston, and I don't hear people talk of them.

100% agree

pj

Reaction Score
Why does everyone assume we need to give 27 months notice? Has any one school filled their obligation time wise when leaving a conference? So why would we, we would just pay a fine like everyone else and move on. The difference is that the fine we will pay will be much less than any other school that would be wanted leaving their conference. I believe this to be a NON-Issue!

I don't think they would just leave and say "sue us." They would give 27 months notice, then sit down negotiations asking, how much do we have to pay to get out in 12 months? and then reach an amicable split.

But, given scheduling issues, the B1G might not be able to accept UConn in much less than 2 years anyway. So I doubt the ability to buy an early AAC departure matters much.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen from one day to the next. Some conferences think they have a long term plan and I think other conferences pretend they have a long term plan. The short term is up in the air. A few unsolved variables (MD, O'Bannon, p5 initiative) make the short term very unstable and that makes the long term up for grabs.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I don't think anyone knows what is going to happen from one day to the next. Some conferences think they have a long term plan and I think other conferences pretend they have a long term plan. The short term is up in the air. A few unsolved variables (MD, O'Bannon, p5 initiative) make the short term very unstable and that makes the long term up for grabs.

100% agree

Reaction Score

You know, if I'm Dennis I would hope like hell this scenario doesn't happen.

Here's how it would work in actual reality:

- B1G takes ND, UNC, UVa, GT

- SEC responds with VT, NCSU, Clemson and FSU

Why would the SEC leave FSU hanging if the Domers inexplicably give in to the B1G's siren song? In that case, the "gentlemen's agreement" goes out the window in favor of keeping as many "brands" in to keep them away from a competitor.

Where does that leave his precious Big 12-2? Yes, the ACC would be demoted under this scenario but the B12-2 would be under great stress. I could imagine OU and KU finally drag UTA with them to safety, which would be the PAC. Not everyone would be safe. It's a nightmare scenario for those left out of a P3.

In any case, Gene Smith is not going to be the AD in five to six years. So anything he says has to be taken with a bucketful of salt.

I am leaning towards them keeping the threat of expansion going in order to send a message to Disney that they could still do something even though they really couldn't to ensure that they give them the exposure they want in the next media contract. More like "pay us and we won't take any more programs."

Reaction Score
What does Gene Smith's likelihood of being the AD in half a dozen years from now have to do with the truth in what he's saying now? He's speaking the conference position as it currently stands and what plans they have going forward (although I believe he's sandbagging on the timeline a bit in how he's presenting it).

Reaction Score
Right, he might then be the president of tOSU.

Not bad for an old ex-ND football player.

ND is never going to join the Big Ten. It despises the very idea.

I wish UConn well if it joins the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the groundbreaking info, Terry.

Good thing we didn't let you join 100+ years ago when you wanted to. Otherwise you wouldn't have the NDpendent identity you all hold so near and dear today. You'd be just another BUG.

What with Michigan teaching Notre Dame the friggin game itself, I guess the B1G gave ND football everything they were, everything they are, and everything they'll ever be. You Domers owe it all to The Big Ten, and you know it.

Guess that's why you ((((despise)))) us so much.

Reaction Score
Not bad for an old ex-ND football player.

ND is never going to join the Big Ten. It despises the very idea.

I wish UConn well if it joins the Big Ten.

It despised the idea so much it presented a plan to join the league in a similar fashion it wound up joining the ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom