October Recruiting Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Story on Prosper. Doesn’t have a list of colleges but does say she wants to go somewhere that won’t just play her in the post because she is tall.

Hmmm. I'm afraid she's going to be in for a rude awakening when she gets to college and perhaps someday to the WNBA. For her sake I hope there aren't college coaches telling her they envision her playing point guard or shooting guard. In my opinion, she doesn't handle the ball or shoot well enough to play those positions in college, at least not early in her college career. From what I've seen, she's most effective scoring in the lane. She'll need to work hard to develop a perimeter game that will succeed at the college and professional level.

She would be wise to forget all the talk about Magic Johnson and instead talk to the little guy in Storrs and tell him she'd like to be the next Maya Moore. I don't think she's that good but playing like Maya should be her goal. Of course, Geno would tell her that Maya did play power forward at UConn. She also led her UConn team in assists twice, made 311 three-pointers during her college career and won several player of the year awards. Maya often rebounded the ball and took it coast to coast to score. Maya then moved on to the WNBA as the #1 draft pick. played the wing for the Lynx, won 4 WNBA titles, was finals MVP and league MVP.

Reaction Score
Hmmm. I'm afraid she's going to be in for a rude awakening when she gets to college and perhaps someday to the WNBA. For her sake I hope there aren't college coaches telling her they envision her playing point guard or shooting guard. In my opinion, she doesn't handle the ball or shoot well enough to play those positions in college, at least not early in her college career. From what I've seen, she's most effective scoring in the lane. She'll need to work hard to develop a perimeter game that will succeed at the college and professional level.

She would be wise to forget all the talk about Magic Johnson and instead talk to the little guy in Storrs and tell him she'd like to be the next Maya Moore. I don't think she's that good but playing like Maya should be her goal. Of course, Geno would tell her that Maya did play power forward at UConn. She also led her UConn team in assists twice, made 311 three-pointers during her college career and won several player of the year awards. Maya often rebounded the ball and took it coast to coast to score. Maya then moved on to the WNBA as the #1 draft pick. played the wing for the Lynx, won 4 WNBA titles, was finals MVP and league MVP.

The writer isn't helping the situation with the Magic comparison. This is why I take a lot of these "interviews" with a grain of salt. Gut feeling is that it's more the AAU coach in the background. Nothing like this came out last season when she played for Kia Nurse Elite.

I've noted it before but the coach for BecomeOne has a relationship with ASGR (now HoopSeenW). He was also behind several articles that had T'yana Todd looking like a UConn prospect through different connections he has here in Canada.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The writer isn't helping the situation with the Magic comparison. This is why I take a lot of these "interviews" with a grain of salt. Gut feeling is that it's more the AAU coach in the background. Nothing like this came out last season when she played for Kia Nurse Elite.
I've noted it before but the coach for BecomeOne has a relationship with ASGR (now HoopSeenW). He was also behind several articles that had T'yana Todd looking like a UConn prospect through different connections he has here in Canada.
I have a hard time faulting the author here. The fault squarely lies with Prosper's vision of herself. In a prior video Prosper was quoted as saying she envisions herself as a 'big guard/wing' and in this article she envisions herself as a "combo guard". Prosper playing shooting guard and or PG at the next level or the level after that (WNBA), is a significant stretch regardless of her college choice. A'Ja Wilson went to South Carolina with similar aspirations of being a Guard. It is going to take a strong coach to get Prosper to realize she is not a combo guard. I might as well wish her well on her college choice right now because I doubt very much it will be UCONN. Geno is shaper of basketball players and he does his best work when the recruits are not this locked into versions of themselves.

Reaction Score

Agree with the assessment. Just want to add I haven't heard anyone gushing about her ability to pass, an obvious key requirement for a point guard. Being 6-2 and having a decent handle doesn't make you a point guard. She probably is fairly versatile, but point guard is a mindset in addition to physical skills. Being able to play positions other than your main one is obviously a plus, but from what I have seen Prosper's best position for college and the pros is SF.

Some players can use their recruitment to limit their choices to schools that would play them at the position they most want to play, or the position they would most likely be considered for on the next level. That of course is their right. But some may not have a realistic perspective on their own abilities and how they fit in a college or pro environment. I'm sure there are lots of examples, but didn't Angel Reese have some of the same perspective, envisioning herself as more of a wing coming out of high school.

She could handle the ball, and bring it up on occasion, but clearly with her unorthodox style and physical skills was extremely effective inside. Her future is best served by being the best 4 she can be, just like Prosper's future would probably best at the 3, trying to emulate Maya as you say, while still being versatile enough to sometimes play elsewhere. She probably has a bright future, but i will be very surprised if it is at PG.

Reaction Score
Based on the article, UConn is not in the picture for Prosper. Speculation on fit and ball handling can be left with the fan bases of Notre Dame, Duke, South Carolina, Arizona, and North Carolina.

Reaction Score
Thought I was watching Mo Jefferson in HS.
You can find video of MoJeff in HS and she looks quite a bit more explosive. Still, I like this kid's nerve and confidence. She looks formidable.

Reaction Score
Agree with the assessment. Just want to add I haven't heard anyone gushing about her ability to pass, an obvious key requirement for a point guard. Being 6-2 and having a decent handle doesn't make you a point guard. She probably is fairly versatile, but point guard is a mindset in addition to physical skills. Being able to play positions other than your main one is obviously a plus, but from what I have seen Prosper's best position for college and the pros is SF.

Some players can use their recruitment to limit their choices to schools that would play them at the position they most want to play, or the position they would most likely be considered for on the next level. That of course is their right. But some may not have a realistic perspective on their own abilities and how they fit in a college or pro environment. I'm sure there are lots of examples, but didn't Angel Reese have some of the same perspective, envisioning herself as more of a wing coming out of high school.

She could handle the ball, and bring it up on occasion, but clearly with her unorthodox style and physical skills was extremely effective inside. Her future is best served by being the best 4 she can be, just like Prosper's future would probably best at the 3, trying to emulate Maya as you say, while still being versatile enough to sometimes play elsewhere. She probably has a bright future, but i will be very surprised if it is at PG.
IMO Cassandre would " prosper" at UCONN!

Reaction Score
I'd put the odds of U conn getting El Alfy higher than Prosper, but El Alfy seems to be announcing in the next 3 weeks. We'll soon learn.

Reaction Score
Hope no one misinterprets me stating El Alfy making an announcment. The early signing period is coming up and no one knows , positive or negative.

Reaction Score
You can find video of MoJeff in HS and she looks quite a bit more explosive. Still, I like this kid's nerve and confidence. She looks formidable.
MoJeff had to be one of the fastest players dribbling the ball on the break in the history of WBB........defenders simply didn't know what to do as she flew by them.........I think KK may give her a run for her money........looking forward to seeing that comparison.....

Reaction Score

2024 - 6'5" - Post - Kate Koval - Exodus 17U #EYBL - Interview at #BCSSummerInvite South

Syla Swords #9 All-Canadian Biosteel Game highlights

Does anyone know if UConn still has interest in Kate Koval? On her twitter account, the last time her board was posted regarding offers and interest was on April 14 and UConn was there. The 6'5" Ukrainian, #17 ESPN class 2024 prospect is in her second season at Long Island Rutheran H.S. (NY). Since the start of school Lutheran H.S has held two open gym sessions and approximately 50 University programs have attended. Storr is located less than 150 miles from LUHI and yet UConn was not there! However, others from much farther away did not hesitate, Notre Dame, Kentucky, LSU, Utah and even Stanford were there.

It is worth mentioning that LUHI claims to have six players in the 2024 class who are expected to play at the next level, so recruiters are not just going for one player. In addition to Koval, joining the team this year is Kayleigh Heckel G 5'9" ESPN #50 class 2024 prospect, she played last year for Port Chester Rams (NY), where she averaged 34 PPG.

The Swords Sisters from Sudbury, a mining town located 250 miles north of Toronto, have joined the Lady Crusaders. That's because their father Shawn, who has been the head coach of the Laurentian University of Sudbury men's team for the past 15 years, has taken a year off to join the Long Island Nets of the G-League as an assistant coach for the upcoming season. Shawn and his wife Shelley Dewar were both standouts at the University in the 90's. After his college career, Shawn Swords played professionally in Europe for 11 years, during which time he also played for the Canadian National Team from 1999-2004 with Steve Nash as a teammate. He was part of the last Canadian formation to be classified for the Olympic games, it was in 2000 in Sydney in Australia. The oldest, Syla, Guard 6'0'' class 2024 is 16 years old, was born on January 28th 2006, she was the youngest player selected for the Biosteel All Canadian Game 2022, she was part of the Canadian U17 team at the last world championship last summer, even making the starting lineup. The younger sister, Savannah, G/F 6'1'' class 2026 is 14 years old, was born in January 2008, she won the MVP title at the last Canadian U15 Championship last summer. You can learn more about the Swords sisters by reading an article from the local Sudbury newspaper that I have attached. In the article in question, which dates back to last August, we can see that they were not at all expecting to play, for the next season, 750 miles from their school Lo-Ellen Park Prep in Sudbury.

Reaction Score
With the injury to ICE Brady.... I hope that UCONN could have a January
addition of Jana El Afry. One of her posts ( from over a year ago, Google
Jana El Afry and look for a youthful Jana speaking to the camera), Jana
reported that she was going to school " on line " ( this was in a greater
Covid era than now ) and that she was going to finish H.S. early. So
if JANA can come early (?? ) it would help UCONN's current VERY, VERY
short bench! No room for injury!! OUCH!!

Reaction Score
I would be thrilled if we could get El Alfy for next year. If she can play the second semester this year that would just be a cherry on top. If she can do that, it is pretty hard to have a major role with so little time to adjust, but she could make a difference this year, and perhaps more importantly get a head start for next year, when Dorka is departing and the starting C position could be available.

Reaction Score

If I'm here, I don't know if I want to. If she starts in January, that means her Senior year ends in December.

Reaction Score
"Seems to be announcing" means for her to qualify for the 2nd semester as was her stated intention, she would have to ANNOUNCE her intention by the mid November early signing date.

Reaction Score

2024 - 6'5" - Post - Kate Koval - Exodus 17U #EYBL - Interview at #BCSSummerInvite South

Syla Swords #9 All-Canadian Biosteel Game highlights

Does anyone know if UConn still has interest in Kate Koval? On her twitter account, the last time her board was posted regarding offers and interest was on April 14 and UConn was there. The 6'5" Ukrainian, #17 ESPN class 2024 prospect is in her second season at Long Island Rutheran H.S. (NY). Since the start of school Lutheran H.S has held two open gym sessions and approximately 50 University programs have attended. Storr is located less than 150 miles from LUHI and yet UConn was not there! However, others from much farther away did not hesitate, Notre Dame, Kentucky, LSU, Utah and even Stanford were there.

It is worth mentioning that LUHI claims to have six players in the 2024 class who are expected to play at the next level, so recruiters are not just going for one player. In addition to Koval, joining the team this year is Kayleigh Heckel G 5'9" ESPN #50 class 2024 prospect, she played last year for Port Chester Rams (NY), where she averaged 34 PPG.

The Swords Sisters from Sudbury, a mining town located 250 miles north of Toronto, have joined the Lady Crusaders. That's because their father Shawn, who has been the head coach of the Laurentian University of Sudbury men's team for the past 15 years, has taken a year off to join the Long Island Nets of the G-League as an assistant coach for the upcoming season. Shawn and his wife Shelley Dewar were both standouts at the University in the 90's. After his college career, Shawn Swords played professionally in Europe for 11 years, during which time he also played for the Canadian National Team from 1999-2004 with Steve Nash as a teammate. He was part of the last Canadian formation to be classified for the Olympic games, it was in 2000 in Sydney in Australia. The oldest, Syla, Guard 6'0'' class 2024 is 16 years old, was born on January 28th 2006, she was the youngest player selected for the Biosteel All Canadian Game 2022, she was part of the Canadian U17 team at the last world championship last summer, even making the starting lineup. The younger sister, Savannah, G/F 6'1'' class 2026 is 14 years old, was born in January 2008, she won the MVP title at the last Canadian U15 Championship last summer. You can learn more about the Swords sisters by reading an article from the local Sudbury newspaper that I have attached. In the article in question, which dates back to last August, we can see that they were not at all expecting to play, for the next season, 750 miles from their school Lo-Ellen Park Prep in Sudbury.

Appreciate you sharing this. I was a little chafed when I read they were heading to the US this year but wasn't aware of their father's situation. They've gotten great coaching in Sudbury through the Lo-Ellen OSBA program as well. LuHi has added some special talents to their roster.

Reaction Score
I've got all fingers crossed for El Alfy. Hope she is coming for the second semester. She has the talent and drive to help us get over.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Seems to be announcing" means for her to qualify for the 2nd semester as was her stated intention, she would have to ANNOUNCE her intention by the mid November early signing date.
That is entirely incorrect. To be eligible for the second semester has nothing to do with the early signing date in mid November or making any announcement whatsoever.

The requirements are the following:
  • Graduate from high school.
  • Complete a minimum of 16 core courses.
  • Earn at least a 2.3 grade-point average in core courses.
  • Earn a qualifying test score on either the ACT or SAT.
  • Meet an increased sliding-scale standard (for example, an SAT score of 820 requires a 2.5 high school core course GPA)
  • Receive final amateurism certification from the NCAA Eligibility Center.

Reaction Score
That is entirely incorrect. To be eligible for the second semester has nothing to do with the early signing date in mid November or making any announcement whatsoever.

The requirements are the following:
  • Graduate from high school.
  • Complete a minimum of 16 core courses.
  • Earn at least a 2.3 grade-point average in core courses.
  • Earn a qualifying test score on either the ACT or SAT.
  • Meet an increased sliding-scale standard (for example, an SAT score of 820 requires a 2.5 high school core course GPA)
  • Receive final amateurism certification from the NCAA Eligibility Center.
Als, when I read about Inez Bettencourt's preparation for that Florida School; the web page
for that school estimated that foreign students begin ( complete? ) their application process the
January preceeding the September that they anticipating starting school. The list of hurdles
included and English language competency and numerous other requirements. Inez
was able to come to UCONN because she had already met those criteria... she just had to reprocess
them for UCONN. Somehow I can't image JANA being that close to " admission ready " to
begin classes in January 2023. One can be wrong... and be hopefull. Time will tell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom