October Recruiting Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
I just read where Uconn offered 2025 prospect Kelis Fisher from Baltimore but head to IMG academy does anyone have any info or video on her besides her being a 5"9 guard

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just read where Uconn offered 2025 prospect Kelis Fisher from Baltimore but head to IMG academy does anyone have any info or video on her besides her being a 5"9 guard
Go to Page 8 Post 176 in this thread to see video of Kelis

Reaction Score
Go to Page 8 Post 176 in this thread to see video of Kelis
Thx CocoHusky after watching her video I can say she reminds me a lot of Zia Cooke at SC and she's exactly the type of fearless guard that Uconn needs not a true point or shooting guard just a guard who's always in attack the rim getting buckets or drawing fouls. I believe she'll be a great addition to the backcourt with her aggressive mentality, here's hoping she commits to Uconn

Reaction Score
Of course El Alfy would have to meet those requirements, but wouldn't she have to sign her scholarship in that small window in November to be able to play basketball this season ?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Of course El Alfy would have to meet those requirements, but wouldn't she have to sign her scholarship in that small window in November to be able to play basketball this season ?
The National Letter of Intent (NLI or LOI) is not required by the NCAA. It’s a contract, which is why a parent needs to sign if the player is under 21. The contract provides some protections for both parties and there are many advantages to having the document in place but it isn’t a requirement to join a team.

Reaction Score

I still don't understand why she would want to join the team in January.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No one really knows what Jana's plans are. There have been reports out of Louisville that she would enroll in January. What exactly does that mean? We don't know. It could be the plan is not to use up a year of eligibility but rather to get acclimated academically while practicing and working out with the team.

Has this plan been reported somewhere other than Louisville?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have not seen anything indicating she intends to enroll at a US college early so I'm not sure where that is coming from.
I doubt very much this is the case but ....early enrollment might possibly shorten her path to the WNBA in that she gets a head start on completing her college degree and exhausting her NCAA eligibility-both of which are required for WNBA draft eligibility.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I have not seen anything indicating she intends to enroll at a US college early so I'm not sure where that is coming from.
I doubt very much this is the case but ....early enrollment might possibly shorten her path to the WNBA in that she gets a head start on completing her college degree and exhausting her NCAA eligibility-both of which are required for WNBA draft eligibility.
Jody Demling covers Louisville WBB and has said this. He has a good source.

As for the WNBA draft, exhausting NCAA eligibility is not a requirement. As long as the player is 22 years old in the year of the draft and either a) is set to graduate within months of the draft or b) her college class is set to graduate within 3 months of the draft, she can renounce any remaining NCAA eligibility by providing timely notification to the WNBA.

Jana just turned 17 this year. Thus, assuming she plays college basketball, she'll be eligible for the WNBA draft in 2027. If she foregoes college, she'll be eligible at the age of 20 or in 2025.

Reaction Score
No one really knows what Jana's plans are. There have been reports out of Louisville that she would enroll in January. What exactly does that mean? We don't know. It could be the plan is not to use up a year of eligibility but rather to get acclimated academically while practicing and working out with the team.

Has this plan been reported somewhere other than Louisville?
Agree no one really knows what Jana's plans are or why the possible interest in early enrollment. Speculating on the academic part, if she was able to graduate early from high school, she may be trying to do the same in college, finishing in three and a half years instead of four. From a basketball standpoint, I could see her viewing this as an opportunity to get a head start on next year.

She could help this year, but next year could be the starting C with Dorka gone, Amari still an unknown, and Ice playing her first year off a significant injury. Part time play this year and a summer to improve would prepare her for when she is needed much more. But who knows, those are just two thoughts from an academic and basketball standpoint. I remain nervously optimistic heading into the early signing period.

Reaction Score
Whatever school signs her , with the assumption she plays this year, will have her on their roster for 4 and a half seasons. At that point, she still would not meet the age requirement for the WBA draft. No one currently knows what her plans or motivation is as to committing, or career strategy. Thank you HuskyNan, for the clarification on the NLI.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Whatever school signs her , with the assumption she plays this year, will have her on their roster for 4 and a half seasons. At that point, she still would not meet the age requirement for the WBA draft. No one currently knows what her plans or motivation is as to committing, or career strategy. Thank you HuskyNan, for the clarification on the NLI.
3 and a half seasons counting the 2nd half of the 2022-2023 season. That's assuming she plays.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
3 and a half seasons counting the 2nd half of the 2022-2023 season. That's assuming she plays.

Yes, the maximum, other than the Covid exception, is 4 full or partial seasons.

Reaction Score
Jody Demling covers Louisville WBB and has said this. He has a good source.

As for the WNBA draft, exhausting NCAA eligibility is not a requirement. As long as the player is 22 years old in the year of the draft and either a) is set to graduate within months of the draft or b) her college class is set to graduate within 3 months of the draft, she can renounce any remaining NCAA eligibility by providing timely notification to the WNBA.

Jana just turned 17 this year. Thus, assuming she plays college basketball, she'll be eligible for the WNBA draft in 2027. If she foregoes college, she'll be eligible at the age of 20 or in 2025.
According to the people who ask about this sort of thing, a January enrollee can enter the draft of the spring three years later, regardless of their age or graduation progress as they are essentially counted as being in the same entering class as those who enrolled in the preceding summer or fall. People began to get more detail about this when they were checking on whether Laeticia Amihere could have entered the last draft in the year she turned 21 as enrolled at South Carolina in January of 2019 to get a head start on classes and recover from injury. This could be a storyline in the future for some of the players who started college early during the 2020-21 season. If Jana starts this January, she can enter the WNBA draft at 2026 under current rules (the CBA could be renegotiated by then).
Yes, the maximum, other than the Covid exception, is 4 full or partial seasons.
Yes, she would have to redshirt either the half or one of the full seasons to be on a roster for four and a half seasons.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Absolutely love the motor, the activity, the length and the skill set of this Grace Knox on both ends of the floor. She also has just enough edge and nasty in her game which makes her a very endearing player at least to me. Would love to see Grace in a UCONN uniform.
Don't even know if this rim is at regulation and really don't care.
The Grace Knox bandwagon is officially about to leave the station.
All aboard?

Reaction Score
Don't even know if this rim is at regulation and really don't care.
The Grace Knox bandwagon is officially about to leave the station.
All aboard?

My seat has been reserved. I’ll even help drive.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom