October Recruiting Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After watching Boston now for what 2 years, it appears to me that maybe she didn't want to commit to the conditioning that Geno and CD would demand. I feel like it is a trademark of UConn bigs that they get into really good shape by their sophomore year. I don't feel like I see that in many other programs where the bigs stay at the conditioning they pretty much entered college with like Boston.

Reaction Score
After watching Boston now for what 2 years, it appears to me that maybe she didn't want to commit to the conditioning that Geno and CD would demand. I feel like it is a trademark of UConn bigs that they get into really good shape by their sophomore year. I don't feel like I see that in many other programs where the bigs stay at the conditioning they pretty much entered college with like Boston.
It seems Plath Gabriel may be living proof of this hypothesis.

Reaction Score
That's very true Kaizen. Paige had a freshman year that will probably NEVER be duplicated. BUT..............................we're talking about POST PLAYERS Boston and ONO. Apples to apples my friend. ;)
LOL, I think neither of us are in the right threads... ;)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm really hoping ONO has a much better year than Boston does, and leads us to this year's NC. :) THAT sir to me would be poietic justice.

Dreamy Fresh Prince GIF - Dreamy Fresh Prince Goals GIFs

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'll second tht.

So she didn't want to be at Uconn?..she was hooked and reeled in but just couldn't net her, Dawn played her Ace Card.
From some of my "Cocky" friends I'm hearing tht she's really toned down and working hard on her conditioning so it can't be afraid to put in the work.
And you do remember Elena Delle Donne? He wasn't ready to throw her a farewell party but he understood the reason behind her departure.
If Boston wanted to be at UCONN she would have been at UCONN. Delle Donne? I think I remember her, same story- if Elena want to be at UCONN she would have stayed at UCONN.

Reaction Score
Banghart continues to build. Next Ashlyn Watkins?
Now we have to see if she can do anything with what she's gathered.... There are a lot of good recruiters out there calling themselves coaches and just never seem to achieve at the level of their recruiting. I hope she can deliver. I want more teams to beat ND....

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
:eek: Except when we don’t right? If you look at the last 10 UCONN losses perimeter opponents have put up some pretty gaudy numbers against UCONN.
MSU Vivians 19
ND 2018 Jackie Young 32 + Arike 27
Baylor-no one of note
Louisville- Durr 24
ND Arike 23
Baylor-Cooper 27*
Oregon-Sabrina 1 rebound and 1 assist short of a triple double .
South Carolina-Ty Harris 19
Arkansas- Dungee 37 + Ramirez 22
Arizona- McDonald 26.
* This one should really get your attention because it was Cooper's 2nd highest point total at three different schools. I don’t understand why you are struggling so hard to down play the need for a quality perimeter defender when Geno himself has acknowledged this need.
1635641018579.jpeg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Now we have to see if she can do anything with what she's gathered.... There are a lot of good recruiters out there calling themselves coaches and just never seem to achieve at the level of their recruiting. I hope she can deliver. I want more teams to beat ND....
Based on what she was able to do with her limited recruiting options at Princeton previously I would expect good things - this year will have two years of her recruits and by next year she should have a team of 'her' players.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Does that picture of Ciera look like it is in Gampel or the Civic Center?
I wonder if it is from a UConn game down in her area...eastern Pa?

I would love to see her up here soon for a home UConn game...how about our opener
against Arkansas at 1:00 Sunday Nov. 14? Enjoy the game/the coaches/the players/the atmosphere with enough time
to get home that evening? Fingers crossed for Ciera...golf game and all!

Reaction Score
Does that picture of Ciera look like it is in Gampel or the Civic Center?
I wonder if it is from a UConn game down in her area...eastern Pa?

I would love to see her up here soon for a home UConn game...how about our opener
against Arkansas at 1:00 Sunday Nov. 14? Enjoy the game/the coaches/the players/the atmosphere with enough time
to get home that evening? Fingers crossed for Ciera...golf game and all!
Was thinking same thing doesn’t look like a UConn court

Reaction Score
Nothing has stopped Boston. The numerous awards she won as a freshman is proof of that. She has steadily improved over the last two years.

Aliyah Boston becomes unanimous Freshman of the Year after picking up WBCA award

Boston was dominant out the gates in her first season with the Gamecocks, notching a triple-double in her first collegiate game. She is the only NCAA women's basketball player to record a triple-double in their debut game. On the season, Boston averaged 12.5 points, 9.4 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks per contest.

As a sophomore in 2020-21, aided South Carolina to a 26-5 record, the SEC Tournament title and the NCAA Final Four; averaged a double-double of 13.7 ppg. and 11.5 rpg. Ranked fifth nationally in 2020-21 in double-doubles (17), 13th in rebounds per game and 16th in offensive rebounds per game (4.1).
Yes, the triple-double debut was an impressive performance as she shot 3 for 8 from the floor and helped SC slip past Alabama St. in a cliffhanger 103-43. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s never stopped Aliyah Boston.
She did miss 2 point blank shots from the left side that would have given SC the win at UConn in regulation last year, which the Gamecocks lost in OT. On both shots she was harassed somewhat by Aaliyah or Aubrey.

Boston also missed a point blank shot vs Stanford that would have put SC in the national championship game vs AZ, although that shot was right in front of the basket.

Reaction Score
I agree coaches will never let their feelings be known "publicly". He had to be somewhat disappointed when he got the news she was going to SC. That's human nature. When you've got your heart set on something (getting into a certain college, or getting that job you really really wanted) or someone, and the bottom falls out of the deal at the last minute, you're disappointed.

I'm sure he wasn't happy to hear the news of Charli Collier de-committing and going to Texas either. Losing Collier didn't bother me half as much as losing Boston. We got ONO in the 11th hour after Collier de-committed. Had we not gotten ONO, we would have been in DEEP caca up to our eyebrows all year. ONO started as a raw freshman. Geno didn't have any other choice. I believe the next tallest player was Kayla Irwin at 6'2", and Katie Lou at 6'3".

Boston did things (won awards and put up numbers) her freshman year ONO hasn't done in 3 years. I'm not ragging on Olivia, I like her and I'm glad we have her. I'm just stating the facts. Both of these players are exactly where they are supposed to be. Both of them are key players for their team. UConn IS NOT the same team when ONO is on the bench.

Of course you gather the troops you have and go forward. That's all you can do. You have to play the cards you're dealt. It's always been my feeling and opinion that the players that don't come to UConn were never suppose to be here, no matter how much you wanted or coveted them. We have the players we are suppose to have, and want to be here. I'm really hoping ONO has a much better year than Boston does, and leads us to this year's NC. :) THAT sir to me would be poietic justice. ;)
ONO only started 4 out of 38 games her freshman year 2018-19.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
ONO only started 4 out of 38 games her freshman year 2018-19.
I stand corrected. Somehow I off the top of my head, remembered her starting more than that.

Reaction Score
So, I had heart palpitations when I saw Ciera’s recent Instagram post. For a split second I thought it was her, but then realized it was her friend’s commitment to UNC. Phew!!

35F492F5-D8BA-4494-A0E3-14B3CF6CF646.jpeg

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
As a point of reference, SC won the national championship in the 2016-2017 season. Boston was in the 2019 class (Aubrey's class). That 2019 class is on one the classes UConn "whiffed" on not getting any (other than Aubrey) of the recruits they coveted. SC got 4 of the top 11 ranked recruits from that class.
All that said, SC got Boston, 4 of the top 11 ranked recruits 2019 and have only won a self serving worthless banner more than UCONN has. Would we have won anything more with her than we did without her? I doubt it, we can speculate forever and nothing changes. What I do know is that without Boston with our lesser talent we have played them to a virtual standstill, while being just a titch better. For me she is just another player on what I consider to be our biggest rival. If a squid dinner is all it takes to seal the deal for Boston's commitment she's where she belongs. :rolleyes:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
If Boston wanted to be at UCONN she would have been at UCONN. Delle Donne? I think I remember her, same story- if Elena want to be at UCONN she would have stayed at UCONN.
I understand wht ur saying and if I could give a half of a like I would, but sometimes parents, high school and AAU coaches, or friends are applying pressure to go to other places, until tht letter is signed she's fair game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom