October Recruiting Thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It’s never stopped Aliyah Boston.
Nothing has stopped Boston. The numerous awards she won as a freshman is proof of that. She has steadily improved over the last two years.

Aliyah Boston becomes unanimous Freshman of the Year after picking up WBCA award

Boston was dominant out the gates in her first season with the Gamecocks, notching a triple-double in her first collegiate game. She is the only NCAA women's basketball player to record a triple-double in their debut game. On the season, Boston averaged 12.5 points, 9.4 rebounds, and 2.6 blocks per contest.

As a sophomore in 2020-21, aided South Carolina to a 26-5 record, the SEC Tournament title and the NCAA Final Four; averaged a double-double of 13.7 ppg. and 11.5 rpg. Ranked fifth nationally in 2020-21 in double-doubles (17), 13th in rebounds per game and 16th in offensive rebounds per game (4.1).

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
13.7 points a game is nice, but I don't think it's unstoppable. A lot of her points are on put backs where she rebounds and shoots with two hands.
I hear you Husky. IF we had - had just one more of those put backs from an offensive rebound in the 2017-2018 post season, we would not have lost in OT to Notre Dame in the semi final game. Two more of those put backs in the Arkansas game, would have given us a 1 point win, instead of a 3 point loss 90-87. I'm not quick to discount Boston's put backs. Sometimes those easy put backs win close games. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Believe me Geno was, shall I put it lightly, pissed when she chose S.C. He really wanted her bad and thought she was a definite UConn commit, even more than C. Collier.
As I have said before, I believe Boston was shanghaied in the 11th hour by S.C. Geno wasn't the only one that was pissed. I was devastated. I had all but guaranteed in some of my posts written at that time, that she was coming to Storrs. SHE is the reason I don't make those types of guarantees anymore. :confused: I don't cry or lament over spilled milk. But sometimes I can't help wondering (while smh)...........what if. :(

Of course I have no concrete proof, just a hunch. I was not there. But I believe Dawn and her lead recruiter/asst. coach Joelette Law put a last minute "Full Court Press" on her mother and sold HER on the program and idea that Aliyah would be best served playing for Dawn, and Aliyah bowed to the wishes of her mom. From everything we had read, and the "body language" we were seeing from Aliyah, she was giving vibes from here to there that she was coming to UConn.

Just before joining the Gamecocks, Law helped Tennessee to a 128-46 overall record and a 60-20 SEC slate over five seasons. During her stay, the Lady Vols won two SEC regular-season championships and one SEC Tournament and made five NCAA Tournament appearances, including three Elite 8 appearances.

Law is considered a master recruiter, and played a pivotal role in helping the Lady Vols land the top class in 2017. It is believed that is why Dawn hired her away from Tennessee. She wanted very much to bolster her program's recruiting abilities and success.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As I have said before, I believe Boston was shanghaied in the 11th hour by S.C. Geno wasn't the only one that was pissed. I was devastated. I had all but guaranteed she was coming to Storrs. SHE is the reason I don't make those types of guarantees anymore. :confused:
I don't cry or lament over spilled milk. But sometimes I can't help wondering (while smh)...........what if. :(

Of course I have no concrete proof, just a hunch. I was not there. But I believe Dawn and her lead recruiter/asst. coach Joelette Law put a last minute "Full Court Press" on her mother and sold HER on the program and idea that Aliyah would be best served playing for Dawn, and Aliyah bowed to the wishes of her mom.

Just before joining the Gamecocks, Law helped Tennessee to a 128-46 overall record and a 60-20 SEC slate over five seasons. During her stay, the Lady Vols won two SEC regular-season championships and one SEC Tournament and made five NCAA Tournament appearances, including three Elite 8 appearances.

Law is considered a master recruiter, and played a pivotal role in helping the Lady Vols land the top class in 2017. It is believed that is why Dawn hired her away from Tennessee. She wanted very much to bolster her program's recruiting abilities and success.
You and I share the same sentiments I was devastated when she chose to go elsewhere. We would have at least 1 more title under our belts with her.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
As I have said before, I believe Boston was shanghaied in the 11th hour by S.C. Geno wasn't the only one that was pissed. I was devastated. I had all but guaranteed she was coming to Storrs. SHE is the reason I don't make those types of guarantees anymore. :confused:
I don't cry or lament over spilled milk. But sometimes I can't help wondering (while smh)...........what if. :(

Of course I have no concrete proof, just a hunch. I was not there. But I believe Dawn and her lead recruiter/asst. coach Joelette Law put a last minute "Full Court Press" on her mother and sold HER on the program and idea that Aliyah would be best served playing for Dawn, and Aliyah bowed to the wishes of her mom.

I also heard tht Dawn had a very nice Caribbean dinner set up for her and the family, Counch or Roti would've sealed the deal with me if I were her parents

Carnac

Reaction Score
I also heard tht Dawn had a very nice Caribbean dinner set up for her and the family, Counch or Roti would've sealed the deal with me if I were her parents
I read the same thing. It appears they pulled out ALL the stops. They had nothing to lose. They also had the feeling that Aliyah had her mind made up to go to UConn, so what do we have to lose. All's fair in love and recruiting.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Believe me Geno was, shall I put it lightly, pissed whn she chose S.C. He really wanted her bad and thought she was a definite UConn commit, even more thn C. Collier.
I heard things slightly differently. Geno is not one obsess or be pissed over not getting a recruit. He’ll suit up the players that want to be at UCONN and are willing to put in the work required to meet programs expectations- at least that’s the version I heard-allegedly. :eek:

Carnac

Reaction Score
At leastt!!!
As a point of reference, SC won the national championship in the 2016-2017 season. Boston was in the 2019 class (Aubrey's class). That 2019 class is on one the classes UConn "whiffed" on not getting any (other than Aubrey) of the recruits they coveted. SC got 4 of the top 11 ranked recruits from that class.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
At leastt!!!
I'll second tht.
I heard things slightly differently. Geno is not one obsess or be pissed over not getting a recruit. He’ll suit up the players that want to be at UCONN and are willing to put in the work required to meet programs expectations- at least that’s the version I heard-allegedly. :eek:
So she didn't want to be at Uconn?..she was hooked and reeled in but just couldn't net her, Dawn played her Ace Card.
From some of my "Cocky" friends I'm hearing tht she's really toned down and working hard on her conditioning so it can't be afraid to put in the work.
And you do remember Elena Delle Donne? He wasn't ready to throw her a farewell party but he understood the reason behind her departure.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I agree coaches will never let their feelings be known "publicly". He had to be somewhat disappointed when he got the news she was going to SC. That's human nature. When you've got your heart set on something (getting into a certain college, or getting that job you really really wanted) or someone, and the bottom falls out of the deal at the last minute, you're disappointed.

I'm sure he wasn't happy to hear the news of Charli Collier de-committing and going to Texas either. Losing Collier didn't bother me half as much as losing Boston. We got ONO in the 11th hour after Collier de-committed. Had we not gotten ONO, we would have been in DEEP caca up to our eyebrows all year. ONO started as a raw freshman. Geno didn't have any other choice. I believe the next tallest player was Kayla Irwin at 6'2", and Katie Lou at 6'3".

Boston did things (won awards and put up numbers) her freshman year ONO hasn't done in 3 years. I'm not ragging on Olivia, I like her and I'm glad we have her. I'm just stating the facts. Both of these players are exactly where they are supposed to be. Both of them are key players for their team. UConn IS NOT the same team when ONO is on the bench.

Of course you gather the troops you have and go forward. That's all you can do. You have to play the cards you're dealt. It's always been my feeling and opinion that the players that don't come to UConn were never suppose to be here, no matter how much you wanted or coveted them. We have the players we are suppose to have, and want to be here. I'm really hoping ONO has a much better year than Boston does, and leads us to this year's NC. :) THAT sir to me would be poietic justice. ;)

Last edited:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I agree coaches will never let their feelings be known "publicly". He had to be somewhat disappointed when he got the news she was going to SC. That's human nature. When you've got your heart set on something (getting into a certain college, or getting that job you really really wanted) or someone, and the bottom falls out of the deal at the last minute, you're disappointed.

I'm sure he wasn't happy to hear the news of Charli Collier de-committing and going to Texas either. Losing Collier didn't bother me half as much as losing Boston. We got ONO in the 11th hour after Collier de-committed.

Boston did things (won awards and put up numbers) her freshman year ONO hasn't done in 3 years. I'm not ragging on Olivia, I like her and I'm glad we have her. I'm just stating the facts. Both of these players are exactly where they are supposed to be. Both of them are key players for their team. UConn IS NOT the same team when ONO is on the bench.

Of course you gather the troops you have and go forward. That's all you can do. You have to play the cards you're dealt. It's always been my feeling and opinion that the players that don't come to UConn were never suppose to be here, no matter how much you wanted or coveted them. We have the players we are suppose to have, and want to be here. I'm really hoping ONO has a much better year than Boston does, and leads us to this year's NC. :) THAT sir to me would be poietic justice. ;)
Well said

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'll second tht.

So she didn't want to be at Uconn?..she was hooked and reeled in but just couldn't net her, Dawn played her Ace Card.
From some of my "Cocky" friends I'm hearing tht she's really toned down and working hard on her conditioning so it can't be afraid to put in the work.
And you do remember Elena Delle Donne? He wasn't ready to throw her a farewell party but he understood the reason behind her departure.
I'll say it one more time.......................there's a lot of pushing, pulling, grabbing, poking and prodding that goes on behind closed doors that we NEVER hear about, not are we suppose to. There are some tings that are private and need to stay that way. They ARE NOT for public consumption.

As fans, we operate on a "need to know" basis. We must accept the fact that there are some tings we just don't need to know. The sun will still rise tomorrow morning, and UConn will continue to win basketball games. :) It doesn't get any better than that!!

That said...............I'm stepping on on my favorite limb (that has served me well thus far), and predicting that UConn will not lose more than 1 game this season. Anybody care to join me on that limb? :rolleyes:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I'll say it one more time.......................there's a lot of pushing, pulling, grabbing, poking and prodding that goes on behind closed doors that we NEVER hear about, not are we suppose to. There are some tings that are private and need to stay that way. They ARE NOT for public consumption.

As fans, we operate on a "need to know" basis. We must accept the fact that there are some tings we just don't need to know. The sun will still rise tomorrow morning, and UConn will continue to win basketball games. :) It doesn't get any better than that!!

That said...............I'm stepping on on my favorite limb (that has served me well thus far), and predicting that UConn will not lose more than 1 game this season. Anybody care to join me on that limb? :rolleyes:
I'm in.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Aliyah Boston was great at her freshman year. But Paige's freshman year beat Boston's sophomore year since Paige won all the possible awards in 2020-2021 .. :)
That's very true Kaizen. Paige had a freshman year that will probably NEVER be duplicated. BUT..............................we're talking about POST PLAYERS Boston and ONO. Apples to apples my friend. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom