October Recruiting Thread | Page 22 | The Boneyard

October Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I understand wht ur saying and if I could give a half of a like I would, but sometimes parents, high school and AAU coaches, or friends are applying pressure to go to other places, until tht letter is signed she's fair game.
Considering that Boston went to HS in Worcester, MA, with her parents blessing, I doubt that her parents or HS coaches pressured her to go somewhere other than UConn.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
All that said, SC got Boston, 4 of the top 11 ranked recruits 2019 and have only won a self serving worthless banner more than UCONN has. Would we have won anything more with her than we did without her? I doubt it, we can speculate forever and nothing changes. What I do know is that without Boston with our lesser talent we have played them to a virtual standstill, while being just a titch better. For me she is just another player on what I consider to be our biggest rival. If a squid dinner is all it takes to seal the deal for Boston's commitment she's where she belongs. :rolleyes:
I don’t lament over what might have been. I totally agree with your take. She’s where she belongs. My focus is on ONO, and only ONO this year. I think she puts it all together this time and has the best season yet. :)

Last edited:

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
I don’t lament over what might have been. I totally agree with your take. She’s where she belongs. My focus is on ONO, and only ONO this year. I think she puts it all together this time and has the best season yet. :)
I hope so I root for the success of all on the team. Liv makes it hard. Honestly I was surprised When she was a finalist for Leslie award last season. When I watched her last season I noticed when she fouled the body language not good- I noticed some of the girls would go over say something, I guess to keep her up. I suspect she knows at a certain point she'll riding the bench because Geno absolutely hates when players foul - he says that's a player being lazy. I don't know what the solution for Luv is hopefully as most are hoping she'll have a breakthrough year.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Considering that Boston went to HS in Worcester, MA, with her parents blessing, I doubt that her parents or HS coaches pressured her to go somewhere other than UConn.

Since we were discussing Boston you may have thought tht I was talking specifically about her, I should have said "recruits", and you can't deny tht those thgs don't happen during the recruiting process, it's absolutely turning into a blood sport, let's not forget we're talking impressionable teens here.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Since we were discussing Boston you may have thought tht I was talking specifically about her, I should have said "recruits", and you can't deny tht those thgs don't happen during the recruiting process, it's absolutely turning into a blood sport, let's not forget we're talking impressionable teens here.
All good recruiters understand that they need to make their case not only to the recruit but also to their parents. In addition, good recruiters maintain good relations with HS and AAU coaches. That’s part of the job.

As for friends influencing where a recruit goes, I’ve always felt that’s a bit overblown, although it’s hard to say the Paige wasn’t a strong influence on Azzi’s decision.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
All good recruiters understand that they need to make their case not only to the recruit but also to their parents. In addition, good recruiters maintain good relations with HS and AAU coaches. That’s part of the job.

As for friends influencing where a recruit goes, I’ve always felt that’s a bit overblown, although it’s hard to say the Paige wasn’t a strong influence on Azzi’s decision.
Key word here is "Good" and
You mean ..her friend?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Key word here is "Good" and
You mean ..her friend?
The coaches at the top 20-30 teams in the country are all “good” recruiters. Not sure what you are referring to by the “her friend” reference?

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
With all due respect neither you or anyone else can totally guarantee tht 100% of the top 20-30 coaches are all good. And being tht its probable tht Paige MAY have influenced Azzi in her decision backs up the " friends influence" statement

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
With all due respect neither you or anyone else can totally guarantee tht 100% of the top 20-30 coaches are all good. And being tht its probable tht Paige MAY have influenced Azzi in her decision backs up the " friends influence" statement
We can go round and round on this. But it’s always been the case that one of the biggest single reasons a recruit selects a school is the HC, and that includes Azzi. Parents usually play a big role, as they should. Program history and success, academics and geographic location are also important factors.

If you have examples of recruits that selected a school primarily based on the influence of their friends or AAU coach, I would sure like to hear who they are?

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
We can go round and round on this. But it’s always been the case that one of the biggest single reasons a recruit selects a school is the HC, and that includes Azzi. Parents usually play a big role, as they should. Program history and success, academics and geographic location are also important factors.

If you have examples of recruits that selected a school primarily based on the influence of their friends or AAU coach, I would sure like to hear who they are?
Well to begin I've gone thru the process 6 times, 2 sons and four young men tht I've mentored thru life, 3 were recruited by top 30 coaches or asst coaches , I couldn't list all the reasons tht come in to play whn a teen is trying to make a big decision, some long for the bright lights and sounds of the big cities, some want the sound of crickets and farm animals. But I agree, we can go on and on abt this and end up at the same place we are now,, so we'll call it draw and live to debate another day.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well to begin I've gone thru the process 6 times, 2 sons and four young men tht I've mentored thru life, 3 were recruited by top 30 coaches or asst coaches , I couldn't list all the reasons tht come in to play whn a teen is trying to make a big decision, some long for the bright lights and sounds of the big cities, some want the sound of crickets and farm animals. But I agree, we can go on and on abt this and end up at the same place we are now,, so we'll call it draw and live to debate another day.
You mentored these kids and they made their decisions based on bright lights, crickets and farm animals……..? ;)

Last edited:

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
You mentored these kids and they made their decisions based on bright lights, crickets and farm animals……..? ;)
Hahaha...no , whn asked my opinion all I said was to make sure tht their academic wants and need are satisfied bcus chances are , and I'd loved to be proven wrong, tht you're not going to the N.B.A. thts the only thg I'm adamant abt. They'll be decisions to make, some will be good , some not so good, lots of temptations, ive done my best to show you the perks and repercussions of those decisions, i can only hope you choose the right paths. Now go on ur visit and make a choice, it's ur life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom