Non-Key Tweets | Page 88 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Huh? How did the Big10 make a miscalculation? They got full coverage for the BTN in NYC. That's what they were after. What miscalculation are you talking about?

And don't forget that Notre Dame can get Chicago probably easier than Rutgers get New York. The only question is whether they can get the rest of Illinois along with Indiana where they are located. Syracuse along with Notre Dame will get NY. BC along with Notre Dame will get Boston. These are professional sports cities, but we're talking subscribers and not viewers.

Reaction Score

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
btstimpy said:
That's wierd. Why would Duke be the most hated team in Virginia? UVA's biggest rival is UNC. VT's is UVA. Maybe there are a lot of VT, VCU, and George Mason fans that are closet Duke haters? Seems far fetched. VT fans haven't been watching much basketball lately. They do have an exciting new coach now though in Buzz Williams.

Maryland and other DC transplants and neutrals. The real laugher is Nebraska ' s hate of Creighton. Do they really care that little about CBB to at least say Kansas?

pj

Reaction Score
But, if VT was to move to the B1G and, in turn, damage the ACC significantly (say, Florida St and Clemson leave for the XII at the same time), it could significantly damage UVA if there is not landing spot for them. That is something that the Commonwealth of Virginia would not allow.

There are two major schools in Virginia and both the B1G and SEC will want a presence there and be willing to take either. There is no scenario in which these two schools will not have a good home. If VT moves to the B1G, yes, the ACC would be impaired, but UVa could jump to the SEC if necessary. Or, if UVa preferred the B1G, they could take VT's place in the B1G and ask VT to go to the SEC.

But they might be happy in the ACC even without VT.

Reaction Score
Thereoff e two major schools in Virginia and both the B1G and SEC will want a presence there and be willing to take either. There is no scenario in which these two schools will not have a good home. If VT moves to the B1G, yes, the ACC would be impaired, but UVa could jump to the SEC if necessary. Or, if UVa preferred the B1G, they could take VT's place in the B1G and ask VT to go to the SEC.

But they might be happy in the ACC even without VT.
As long as UNC/UVA are happy then VT/NCSU are off limits to any conference . The bond between UNC/UVA/Duke is a lot stronger & deeper than most who follow realignment seem to understand . Simply put I think they want to stay together as badly as Notre Dame wants to stay independent

Reaction Score
As long as UNC/UVA are happy then VT/NCSU are off limits to any conference . The bond between UNC/UVA/Duke is a lot stronger & deeper than most who follow realignment seem to understand . Simply put I think they want to stay together as badly as Notre Dame wants to stay independent

May I suggest an avatar for you?

Yul_Brynner_as_Rameses.jpg

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
And don't forget that Notre Dame can get Chicago probably easier than Rutgers get New York. The only question is whether they can get the rest of Illinois along with Indiana where they are located. Syracuse along with Notre Dame will get NY. BC along with Notre Dame will get Boston. These are professional sports cities, but we're talking subscribers and not viewers.

With only two/three football games, I highly doubt it. The only part of ND that Chicago cares about is their football team. Since The ACC only gets 2/3 games a year, and those games will be on the main media outlet, a potential ACCN will see none of those. ND basketball? Really? They have as much pull in Chicago as PSU basketball has in NYC. Olympic sports? Only alumni go for those. You can claim a market all you want, doesn't mean you have it.

If ND went all in, a potential ACCN could easily get Chicago. Without football, they are just another DePaul that plays hockey, and that sport won't be on a potential ACCN as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maryland and other DC transplants and neutrals. The real laugher is Nebraska ' s hate of Creighton. Do they really care that little about CBB to at least say Kansas?

I was surprised Creighton wasn't most hated in NY just based on a few thousand votes from upstater.

dayooper

Reaction Score
But, if VT was to move to the B1G and, in turn, damage the ACC significantly (say, Florida St and Clemson leave for the XII at the same time), it could significantly damage UVA if there is not landing spot for them. That is something that the Commonwealth of Virginia would not allow.

Sure, but would they. It seems that the FSU/Clemson to The Big12 thing has sailed. Would VT want to move? I don't know. I couldn't tell you even if The Big10 would admit them. That being said, losing VT, in my opinion, wouldn't hurt The ACC or UVA much, if at all. Gaining a new market (while keeping an open spot for a potential ND full buy in) might do wonders for a potential ACCN.

dayooper

Reaction Score

Why would that put VT/NCST off limits? I understand the bond between UVA/UNC/Duke, but why would that impede the other two schools movement? If the reason is damaging the ACC to the point of breaking it up, I don't by that. There's a reason that UVA was/is The Big10's and The BTN's first choice. Losing VT or NCST wouldn't hurt The ACC much. The ACC would have the primary school in their respective states. I'm not trying to say your wrong, I just don't understand the reason behind the post.

Reaction Score
Why would that put VT/NCST off limits? I understand the bond bwouldn't UVA/UNC/Duke, but why would that impede the other two schools movement? If the reason is damaging the ACC to the point of breaking it up, I don't by that. There's a reason that UVA was/is The Big10's and The BTN's first choice. Losing VT or NCST wouldn't hurt The ACC much. The ACC would have the primary school in their respective states. I'm not trying to say your wrong, I just don't understand the reason behind the post.
Neither would move unless UNC/UVA were aalready in play. NCSU could not afford tolose any state funding & UNC would not let NCSU gain any potential recruiting advantage by say joining the SEC. In North Carolina you have to have state approval for anything including athletics even though the departments are self sustaining. UNC has enough clout within the Board of Governors & State assembly to block any move it doesn't approve of.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The fact that they were in the same state didn't mean a blessed thing for a century. It didn't even mean anything when expansion started in 2003.

If the SEC or Big Ten invite Virginia Tech, the money wins.
I think you are spot on. It wasn't about having the two schools in the same conference. It was about not leaving VT to rot in a damaged Big East. (Ironically, I would enthusiastically sign up with those teams right now....sigh.)

I don't see legislative opposition to VT bettering it self as being particularly likely.

pj

Reaction Score
Neither would move unless UNC/UVA were aalready in play. NCSU could not afford tolose any state funding & UNC would not let NCSU gain any potential recruiting advantage by say joining the SEC. In North Carolina you have to have state approval for anything including athletics even though the departments are self sustaining. UNC has enough clout within the Board of Governors & State assembly to block any move it doesn't approve of.

It's hard to believe the state of North Carolina would deny NC State a chance to increase its revenue (and therefore the state's revenue) by $20 million per year. If UNC did that to NC State, there would surely be pushback from NC State backers against UNC. That could severely damage UNC's ability to get things from the state.

Usually these situations are resolved amicably. I would think NC State would be able to go if they want and can show benefits to the state.

Reaction Score

We already got New York.

Reaction Score
It's hard to believe the state of North Carolina would deny NC State a chance to increase its revenue (and therefore the state's revenue) by $20 million per year. If UNC did that to NC State, there would surely be pushback from NC State backers against UNC. That could severely damage UNC's ability to get things from the state.

Usually these situations are resolved amicably. I would think NC State would be able to go if they want and can show benefits to the state.
The State doesn't receive any revenue nor dors it contribute revenue to athletics. The State just stripped control of Charlotte's airport basically over a dispute between the former director & the city manager. Now the State has never put a dime in Charlotte's airport but has put 100's of millions into NCSU & you think they wouldn't stop them from moving?

pj

Reaction Score
The State doesn't receive any revenue nor dors it contribute revenue to athletics. The State just stripped control of Charlotte's airport basically over a dispute between the former director & the city manager. Now the State has never put a dime in Charlotte's airport but has put 100's of millions into NCSU & you think they wouldn't stop them from moving?

States spend all kinds of money on "economic development" hoping to bring revenue into the state. Bringing the SEC or B1G into North Carolina and increasing revenue into the state from TV networks by $20 million per year is economic development. The state legislature will be on the side of NC State.

So you'll have the NC State backers in the legislature staunchly and enthusiastically behind the move, neutral members of the legislature mildly in favor of the move due to benefits for the state, and UNC backers concerned about the effect on UNC but unwilling to pick a fight with the NC State backers. And the Board of Governors will follow the legislature. Just my prediction.

Reaction Score
If we're talking about network subscribers then yes we do have New York already. Delany won.

pj

Reaction Score
If we're talking about network subscribers then yes we do have New York already. Delany won.

We're talking about revenue and there's still a ton of revenue sitting on the NYC table. The difference between carriage in New York at $0.10 and carriage at $0.90 is 9-fold.

Reaction Score
Who says we're getting ten cents a subscriber lol?

Thanks for the math lesson though, I didn't know that 9 was 9 times more than 1.

pj

Reaction Score
Who says we're getting ten cents a subscriber lol?

Thanks for the math lesson though, I didn't know that 9 was 9 times more than 1.

They haven't disclosed what they are getting, but it's a certainty it is not everything they would like to get.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom