Non-Key Tweets | Page 87 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Bullfeathers! Nobody had any "winning hand".

Any idiot (including myself)...predicted, long. long ago, exactly the outcome of a settlement that would have the ACC retaining all that it had already withheld....and forgoing the rest.

Since the ACC already held the money, Maryland could not better that without a protracted court battle. Nor could the ACC go after additional money without the same protracted court wars.

Such a settlement was almost ordained the moment that Maryland announced that they were leaving the ACC and the ACC started sequestering money.

Maryland paid a record amount of Exit fee...but still less than the whole...both sides declare a victory and march on...a successful settlement.

Billy, bullfeathers or whatever you really meant to say. But I was responding to another poster who stated that the ACC had the winning hand, and did a simple $20 million versus $10 million analysis. Maybe neither side had the winning hand as you state. But if the ACC was able to extort, say $40 million, from Maryland, I would hope that Pres. Loh would continue to fight the gross injustice, otherwise you would see me suggesting that he was no longer up for president.

Reaction Score
The ACC had the upper hand for keeping what had been withheld...

Maryland had the upper hand versus the ACC getting a full payout....

It was that way from the get go....and thus the outcome was very easy to predict....The ACC would hold out until they had all of the money withheld that they could withhold...and then it was a matter of shaking hands and making nice.

Reaction Score
Those plans being the $700,000,000.00 annual bump that NBC was going to give the ACC (even though ESPN owns the rights) because Notre Dame wanted to help out? Those plans?

NBC has proposed it, but all indicators are that ESPN will be doing the channel. NBC will be providing Notre Dame Football content, so they will be paid for it. It won't be live ND home games, but classic games, coaches shows, interviews, etc. that these channels have. I don't know if it is $700 million, but the ACC has the most subscribers in its footprint of any conference, and ESPN knows how to leverage its channels and Disney's channels to get its channels carried. If it gets anywhere close to what the SECN got per subscriber, the ACC can make it up in volume.

ND isn't helping out. They are part of the conference and know they can't create a Notre Dame Football only channel per the Longhorn Network experience even being a national brand. One sport at one school makes for less of a channel than all sports at one school like Texas. So which channel would they put the content? On the one with the rest of ND sports. Why hide their football content from their fans if the rest of ND is part of a channel. They value football independence. They don't have to join the football conference to use the channel. ESPN will already be showing ND football road games. There are classic ND vs Miami, ND vs FSU, ND vs Boston College, and ND vs Pitt games out there that could be used. I'm told that a lot of what the BTN shows are classic football games. What's wrong with ND games? Somebody would watch them.

Reaction Score
UNC would leave Duke under the right circumstance. They could just build in at least one basketball game and one football game into their schedules each year. Hell, it would make the rivalry better.

That said, I think UNC is staying put for at least one more cycle of t.v. contracts.

I agree. The UNC v. Duke rivalry is built on basketball (and other sports, such as lax, to a lesser degree) and not football. Even with the emergence of super conferences (16+ teams) there will be enough room and flexibility in each team's basketball schedule to fit in a major out-of-conference rival, especially where there is a lot of money involved and travel costs are minimal. Football, which neither school is an historical power in, is where scheduling out-of-conference games becomes an issue. Thus, with the right offer, UNC bails to the B1G or the SEC.

Reaction Score
NBC has proposed it, but all indicators are that ESPN will be doing the channel. NBC will be providing Notre Dame Football content, so they will be paid for it. It won't be live ND home games, but classic games, coaches shows, interviews, etc. that these channels have. I don't know if it is $700 million, but the ACC has the most subscribers in its footprint of any conference, and ESPN knows how to leverage its channels and Disney's channels to get its channels carried. If it gets anywhere close to what the SECN got per subscriber, the ACC can make it up in volume.

ND isn't helping out. They are part of the conference and know they can't create a Notre Dame Football only channel per the Longhorn Network experience even being a national brand. One sport at one school makes for less of a channel than all sports at one school like Texas. So which channel would they put the content? On the one with the rest of ND sports. Why hide their football content from their fans if the rest of ND is part of a channel. They value football independence. They don't have to join the football conference to use the channel. ESPN will already be showing ND football road games. There are classic ND vs Miami, ND vs FSU, ND vs Boston College, and ND vs Pitt games out there that could be used. I'm told that a lot of what the BTN shows are classic football games. What's wrong with ND games? Somebody would watch them.

The footprint that gives BC credit for all of Massachusetts?

BC is widely despised in state. I am an alumni and i despise them. UMASS amherst alumni number in the hundreds of thousands and they despise BC. BU alumni are similarly numerous and they despise BC. Ditto Northeastern. And there are probably tens of thousands of UCONN alumni, or ( like me ) CT natives in state that despise BC. In fact, i would wager that the VAST majority of the sports watching population in MA hate BC. BC has a relatively small alumni base in state. The Everyman does not identify with them. The bandwagon UNC or Hurricane fans, plus the tiny alumni populations from all of the ACC schools combined, would not come close to offsetting the forces working against you here.

A cable company would be teasing a rattlesnake if they tried to bundle the ACCN on their basic tier.

If your hope in the ACC network lies in having symapthetic or even indifferent cities such as Boston - or states such as MA - looking the other way while their cable bill increases... well... good luck.

Reaction Score
They've only been in the same league about 10 years.

But they have been in the same state for how long?

Virginia politics forced Virginia Tech into the ACC. Will it keep them there?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

The reason they pushed VPI to The ACC wasn't to keep them together, but to ensure VPI's place in major athletics. Going to a conference like The Big10 would keep them there. If I remember correctly, I think most of those politicians are gone now, but I could be wrong on that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The fact that they were in the same state didn't mean a blessed thing for a century. It didn't even mean anything when expansion started in 2003.

If the SEC or Big Ten invite Virginia Tech, the money wins.

Reaction Score

BC is widely despised in state. I am an alumni and i despise them. UMASS amherst alumni number in the hundreds of thousands and they despise BC. BU alumni are similarly numerous and they despise BC. Ditto Northeastern. And there are probably tens of thousands of UCONN alumni, or ( like me ) CT natives in state that despise BC. In fact, i would wager that the VAST majority of the sports watching population in MA hate BC. BC has a relatively small alumni base in state. The Everyman does not identify with them. The bandwagon UNC or Hurricane fans, plus the tiny alumni populations from all of the ACC schools combined, would not come close to offsetting the forces working against you here.

A cable company would be teasing a rattlesnake if they tried to bundle the ACCN on their basic tier.

If your hope in the ACC network lies in having symapthetic or even indifferent cities such as Boston - or states such as MA - looking the other way while their cable bill increases... well... good luck.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/08/11/college-basketball-hate-map

Reaction Score
Gregory D. M. K. ‏@GregGregoryKJ 4h
@theDudeofWV I agree that the Big 12 is a GREAT conference. That's not the point. Where will WVU be in a dozen years? It's more speculation.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 2h
@GregGregoryKJ I’m trying to be diplomatic. WVU will be in a power conference in 12 years. They will be in one 25 years from now.

@GregGregoryKJ If more realignment occurs in the future & the Big 12 doesn’t survive then WVU will be in either the SEC or Big Ten.

@GregGregoryKJ If that happens I expect divisions or pods to be formed along geographical lines.

Gregory D. M. K. ‏@GregGregoryKJ 2h
@theDudeofWV Thanks Chris. I wasn't trying to bust your balls. I was assuming you would say Big 12, SEC or ACC, not the B1G.

@GregGregoryKJ Few people know that WVU was approached to be a partner with Neb. Many won’t relieve it but WVU could commit to AAU status.

Expansion Crush ‏@expansion_crush 1h
@theDudeofWV @GregGregoryKJ WVU is high research.

Christopher Lambert ‏@theDudeofWV 1h
@expansion_crush @GregGregoryKJ WVU has raised $670 of a $750 million goal to improve academics & hired lobbyists to help increase research.

Gregory D. M. K. ‏@GregGregoryKJ 5m
@theDudeofWV @expansion_crush That's awesome! I went there from '88-'93 and like to hear things like that. Academics are often forgotten.

ME: Wow! Who knew that coal and moonshine could bring that much money to the university? The B1G really missed the boat on that one! ;)

On a more interesting note, according to Land Thieves, Boren in an interview with Sooner Sports said that he would like to see the Big 12 go back to 12 teams again and that he wanted to bring Louisville into that conference.

http://www.landthieves.com/board/sh...ally-tied-the-room-together-did-it-not/page71

It may not be a sure thing but one never knows...

Reaction Score
Wow, if people seriously think that WVU will ever hold any academic cache, never mind AAU status...it's hard to imagine what kind of a delusional life they lead allows them to even think that this is within the realm of possibility.

Reaction Score

Agree Stimps banking on a bogus footprint....same goes for NY...Cuse gets credit for the whole state? There lucky to get Central NY....NYC is now B1G country as they have the only school in the Demo and huge alum support. I dont see the ACC as having a real footprint out of NC/Va they can rightfully claim? So funny these huge numbers he thinks we'll buy lol. Its like the MAC claiming territory that is really B1G country...Maybe NBC will take on the MAC and its huge footprint.

Reaction Score

Texas A & M or a better word "business". If Bob Barker says come on down, loyalty is out the door.

Reaction Score
Are we talking 2027? I don't know if I'll still be alive to see the VT move.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Nicky, if we are going to be completely candid, the B1G made an identical miscalculation on Rutgers' persence in the NYC market as the ACC did on BC in Boston. At least the ACC can blame their miscalculation on the fact that BC does have Boston in its name.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Nicky, if we are going to be completely candid, the B1G made an identical miscalculation on Rutgers' persence in the NYC market as the ACC did on BC in Boston. At least the ACC can blame their miscalculation on the fact that BC does have Boston in its name.

Huh? How did the Big10 make a miscalculation? They got full coverage for the BTN in NYC. That's what they were after. What miscalculation are you talking about?

Reaction Score
They've gotten money in NYC, and at least the B1G could have fallen back on Rutgers pulling in NJ if it didn't work out. Which it has. Surely, some of that is fans from out of state, but the B1G wasn't going to get enough money for the B1G Network without Rutgers.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Agree Stimps banking on a bogus footprint....same goes for NY...Cuse gets credit for the whole state? There lucky to get Central NY....NYC is now B1G country as they have the only school in the Demo and huge alum support. I dont see the ACC as having a real footprint out of NC/Va they can rightfully claim? So funny these huge numbers he thinks we'll buy lol. Its like the MAC claiming territory that is really B1G country...Maybe NBC will take on the MAC and its huge footprint.

They have a pretty good footprint they can call theirs. It's not the 90 million people that Swofford touts, but they have some clout.

In my opinion, they have a good presence in the following: Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida. I guess they can claim Boston, but that's a stretch. NYC? Not so sure, but 'Cuse is better than having nothing, so there's that.

Reaction Score
[QUOTEit's dayooper, post: 1033061, member: 3859"]The reason they pushed VPI to The ACC wasn't to keep them together, but to ensure VPI's place in major athletics. Going to a conference like The Big10 would keep them there. If I remember correctly, I think most of those politicians are gone now, but I could be wrong on that.[/QUOTE]
While it's true some are gone UVA &VPI deal with a totally different governance structure than say UT & T. A&M. The Texas schools are the flagships of their own university system & don't really care to deal with each other. While the VA schools fall under one board with UVA having the most influence . They colloborate on many initiatives that benefit the state as a whole & I doubt their board will do anything to rock the boat. This also applies to UNC/NCSU

Reaction Score

BC’s biggest sport in terms of passion is prestige is Hockey. Thus, there biggest rivalry is BU, hands down followed by Northeastern. As a graduate of BU’s MBA program, I can tell you that no one roots for BC in anything, including football and basketball. Most BU sports fans root for the ‘big’ program from where they originate from or one of the national brands. If UConn was ever to play BC again in football, BU would pull for UConn. Ditto for Northeastern, which is where my wife graduated from. As both BU and Northeastern are a lot larger than BC (18K & 13K v 9K) plus throw in UMass grads (UMass is in another state according to most Bay State residents) and all of the other colleges in metro Boston (Harvard, MIT, Tufts, UMass Boston, etc.) and transplants from everywhere else, like UConn, and there is no way that BC owns Boston and Massachusetts. I would bet that in a survey, ND would be the biggest college ‘brand’ in Boston and would place far behind the other big brands in Boston, i.e. the Red Sox, Pats, Celtics, & Bruins.

Reaction Score
The reason they pushed VPI to The ACC wasn't to keep them together, but to ensure VPI's place in major athletics. Going to a conference like The Big10 would keep them there. If I remember correctly, I think most of those politicians are gone now, but I could be wrong on that.

But, if VT was to move to the B1G and, in turn, damage the ACC significantly (say, Florida St and Clemson leave for the XII at the same time), it could significantly damage UVA if there is not landing spot for them. That is something that the Commonwealth of Virginia would not allow.

Reaction Score

So far, the Rutgers "miscalculation" has resulted in the addition of the BTN on basic cable with every player in the NYC/NJ market. Let's see what happens in eastern PA.

To date, Maryland has not had the same success in DC but for the sake of our pockets, I hope they do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom