Non-Key Tweets | Page 65 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In a conference that has Penn State, Michigan and Nebraska, I'm thinking their present day malaise will not last forever.

They think that too and I think y'all are wrong. If you don't recruit the South, Texas or California you can't win on the national stage anymore.

Ohio, Michigan, PA still nice recruiting grounds but not enough.

In particular, I think Nebraska is in a lot of trouble long term.

I'm not a slave to recruiting ranking by any stretch but for 2014, it's Ohio State at 3 in the rivals rankings and you don't see another Big 10 team until Michigan State at 22.

Nebraska, Michigan and Penn State are in the low 30's behind luminaries like Arizona, NC State, Arizona State and Kentucky.

There are 11 SEC teams ahead of Neb, Michigan and PSU. Missouri is directly behind them with Mississippi State only a few slots back of that.

The Big 10 is going to realize pretty quickly I think that their revenue model works amazingly well and their football model doesn't win or even really compete for National Championships except for (maybe) one guy in Columbus.

If they were so arrogantly 20 years in the past, they would have realized they need Florida State like a fat kid needs cake.

Meyer will be entertaining because he can't qualify with that schedule unless he's undefeated. A one loss Ohio State is almost dead in the water barring calamity in the rest of the country.

Reaction Score
They think that too and I think y'all are wrong. If you don't recruit the South, Texas or California you can't win on the national stage anymore.

I'm not a slave to recruiting ranking by any stretch but for 2014, it's Ohio State at 3 in the rivals rankings and you don't see another Big 10 team until Michigan State at 22.

Nebraska, Michigan and Penn State are in the low 30's behind luminaries like Arizona, NC State, Arizona State and Kentucky.

There are 11 SEC teams ahead of Neb, Michigan and PSU. Missouri is directly behind them with Mississippi State only a few slots back of that.

The Big 10 is going to realize pretty quickly I think that their revenue model works amazingly well and their football model doesn't win or even really compete for National Championships except for (maybe) one guy in Columbus.

If they were so arrogantly 20 years in the past, they would have realized they need Florida State like a fat kid needs cake.

Meyer will be entertaining because he can't qualify with that schedule unless he's undefeated. A one loss Ohio State is almost dead in the water barring calamity in the rest of the country.

See: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/a-visitors-guide-to-our-board.59726/unread

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
In short the Big 10 in the near future is way more likely to have 0 teams in the playoffs than 2. About 10 times more likely.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Well techincally that is addressed to non UConn fans. I'm getting at what I think will drive the Big 10's decisions in the future (actually winning games and not maximizing network revenues) but if that's off limits...

Not much to talk about UConn wise they want in and keep trying to win while you sit and wait.

Perhaps you should start tweeting your comments. Then they would belong in this thread.

Reaction Score

Look....if non UConn posters are respectful and are reasonably on subject, why the xenophobia?

Sure, some of our opinions may not support the board narrative because of a differing vantage point...but that is why you have discussions and not a mutual mumbling of a memorized liturgy.

I understand your attempts at censorship but ignore them. When and if I am banned, I will murmur a few mea culpas and move on....

A guy opining about the strength of the Big Ten in context of a playoff has committed no sin in my book....

Reaction Score
Look....if non UConn posters are respectful and are reasonably on subject, why the xenophobia?

Sure, some of our opinions may not support the board narrative because of a differing vantage point...but that is why you have discussions and not a mutual mumbling of a memorized liturgy.

I understand your attempts at censorship but ignore them. When and if I am banned, I will murmur a few mea culpas and move on....

A guy opining about the strength of the Big Ten in context of a playoff has committed no sin in my book....

That was written for outright trolls. Those who act like trolls should be banned.

Reaction Score
MH3‏@MH3 6h
Oklahoma AD has called for the first meeting of the B12 expansion committee in almost a year.That's all I know for now-update as I get more
?

Hopefully P5 self interest will continue to reign supreme and larger P5 conferences will push through rules for playoff selection that favor larger P5 conferences over the smaller B12. If that happens maybe some more movement will result - either B12 adds or defections.

Reaction Score
Hopefully P5 self interest will continue to reign supreme and larger P5 conferences will push through rules for playoff selection that favor larger P5 conferences over the smaller B12. If that happens maybe some more movement will result - either B12 adds or defections.

Anyone that thinks the football playoff is staying at 4 teams is crazy. Why? Every year, at least 1 P5 conference will be excluded and most likely, the G5 will be excluded every year. The solution? An 8 team playoff in which each of the P5 gets an auto bid with 3 at large bids. The P5 is now happy that they are each guaranteed a team in the playoff and have the opportunity to get another team in. The G5 is happy that they would now have a realistic chance to get a team in the playoff. And, TV will be happy with more games that will actually count.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
UConnJim said:
Anyone that thinks the football playoff is staying at 4 teams is crazy. Why? Every year, at least 1 P5 conference will be excluded and most likely, the G5 will be excluded every year. The solution? An 8 team playoff in which each of the P5 gets an auto bid with 3 at large bids. The P5 is now happy that they are each guaranteed a team in the playoff and have the opportunity to get another team in. The G5 is happy that they would now have a realistic chance to get a team in the playoff. And, TV will be happy with more games that will actually count.

The eventuality of going to 8 teams is the worst kept secret about the CFP. The second worst is the selection committee.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

While I agree with your premise, make no mistake, nobody is expanding to a 8 team playoff scenario with the G5 in mind. If anything, they'd rather see 4 SEC teams (including teams with 2-3 losses) in the playoff than an undefeated G5 school. Maybe some sort of legal action will change this and insure that a top G5 school can make it, but until then, I think all 8 participants would come from the P5 conferences.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
HFD, our man on the inside.

@B1GConn · 10h Boneyard thread on the "B1G" page 16 is one of the first times I talk about the BE vs B1G challenge. That's late 2012.

[URL='https://twitter.com/B1GConn']@B1GConn · 10h [/URL]
That's for the haters who say I wasn't talking about it way before this. I was. I'm in the loop. Deal with it.

@B1GConn · 10h
Teams involved and details change as things develop, but I was dead on the fox $ train and how they would build it.

pj

Reaction Score
While I agree with your premise, make no mistake, nobody is expanding to a 8 team playoff scenario with the G5 in mind. If anything, they'd rather see 4 SEC teams (including teams with 2-3 losses) in the playoff than an undefeated G5 school. Maybe some sort of legal action will change this and insure that a top G5 school can make it, but until then, I think all 8 participants would come from the P5 conferences.

That's one possible outcome, but more likely they give a spot to the top G5 team and just try to starve them of money to make them uncompetitive.

Reaction Score

Some corrections are in order:

Actually Neb has recruited nationally for a very long time & has had some great success in the process, as well as their "500 mile radius strategy." The state of Nebraska's high schools have never remotely fulfilled the necessary ingredients responsible for the 5 NCs since the early 70s. In fact, one can argue Neb has outperformed ND by considerable margins on the national recruiting level.

Md and NJ actually add stronger hs football to the BIG, that is these two states outperform all but Ohio & they're on par with Pa most years, or even better (per capita). People mistake Mi and Ill as strong recruiting bases, when it really has to do with their high populations.

But I absolutely agree with you, the Southeast and Tx are quite formidable in terms of per state depth. Btw, Ca has to feed much of the Pac12 (don't forget 4 in-state schools) as well as other national brands - its per capita output would be middle of the road, perhaps lower, in the Southeast. I mean how else do the Oregon & Washington schools keep pace in that conference. AZ has become a stronger hs football state, but it's not on par with your typical southeastern state. You could say the same for Utah. Co is a faster growing state, but it's not the kind of incoming demographics that suggest future football power.

What can save the BIG footprint and Northeast would be year round prep football culture, which is beginning to happen in some states, esp Ohio. Such a year round culture would save most states for that matter.

Other notes:

No one knows if the BIG is trying to squeeze out 2 bids, so you're being a bit reactionary.

OSU has not dominated the conference like you think & history proves PSU, Michigan and Neb will cycle up - Michigan has had OSU's number, all time, & certainly outperformed OSU much of the time - early 70s to Tressel - that's a long time.

Wisconsin recently played in 3 consecutive Rose Bowls, nearly won each of them & has played in 6 since the early 90s, the won the first 3.

MSU is a rising football program & now has two consecutive bowl victories over major programs.

Someday Illinois will figure it out and retain more of its football and basketball talent.

Indiana is an up and coming hs football state.

The Southeast and Texas have long been better hs football states than much of the country, the BIG capitalized on segregation policies until nearly the mid 70s.

The BIG has been up and down since the 70s, look at the Rose Bowl for further proof (lost most games in the 70s, 80s, 2000s, dominated the 90s & decades - pre 70s - btw, USC does most of the damage for the Pac12, it's their second home). The BIG never been the powerhouse football conference perceived on these boards, albeit the league has an excellent history of sending great players to the NFL & it certainly does a very fine job of conditioning players for the colder climates, more physical realities at the next level.

The BIG has the least amount of bowl experience amongst the 4 of the P5, something people don't know. They only started sending multiple teams to bowl games in the late 70s. The other conferences, esp Pac12, Big12, SEC and ACC have a much longer history of bowl appearances & most these games are played in the Sun Belt.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Some corrections are in order:

Actually Neb has recruited nationally for a very long time & has had some great success in the process, as well as their "500 mile radius strategy." The state of Nebraska's high schools have never remotely fulfilled the necessary ingredients responsible for the 5 NCs since the early 70s. In fact, one can argue Neb has outperformed ND by considerable margins on the national recruiting level.

Md and NJ actually add stronger hs football to the BIG, that is these two states outperform all but Ohio & they're on par with Pa most years, or even better (per capita). People mistake Mi and Ill as strong recruiting bases, when it really has to do with their high populations.

But I absolutely agree with you, the Southeast and Tx are quite formidable in terms of per state depth. Btw, Ca has to feed much of the Pac12 (don't forget 4 in-state schools) as well as other national brands - its per capita output would be middle of the road, perhaps lower, in the Southeast. I mean how else do the Oregon & Washington schools keep pace in that conference. AZ has become a stronger hs football state, but it's not on par with your typical southeastern state. You could say the same for Utah. Co is a faster growing state, but it's not the kind of incoming demographics that suggest future football power.

What can save the BIG footprint and Northeast would be year round prep football culture, which is beginning to happen in some states, esp Ohio. Such a year round culture would save most states for that matter.

Other notes:

No one knows if the BIG is trying to squeeze out 2 bids, so you're being a bit reactionary.

OSU has not dominated the conference like you think & history proves PSU, Michigan and Neb will cycle up - Michigan has had OSU's number, all time, & certainly outperformed OSU much of the time - early 70s to Tressel - that's a long time.

Wisconsin recently played in 3 consecutive Rose Bowls, nearly won each of them & has played in 6 since the early 90s, the won the first 3.

MSU is a rising football program & now has two consecutive bowl victories over major programs.

Someday Illinois will figure it out and retain more of its football and basketball talent.

Indiana is an up and coming hs football state.

The Southeast and Texas have long been better hs football states than much of the country, the BIG capitalized on segregation policies until nearly the mid 70s.

The BIG has been up and down since the 70s, look at the Rose Bowl for further proof (lost most games in the 70s, 80s, 2000s, dominated the 90s & decades - pre 70s - btw, USC does most of the damage for the Pac12, it's their second home). The BIG never been the powerhouse football conference perceived on these boards, albeit the league has an excellent history of sending great players to the NFL & it certainly does a very fine job of conditioning players for the colder climates, more physical realities at the next level.

The BIG has the least amount of bowl experience amongst the 4 of the P5, something people don't know. They only started sending multiple teams to bowl games in the late 70s. The other conferences, esp Pac12, Big12, SEC and ACC have a much longer history of bowl appearances & most these games are played in the Sun Belt.

Those aren't corrections.

You are whistling past the graveyard.

The Big 10 except for Ohio State is not getting the players needed to compete for National Championships. One only needs a TV to see this in living color every fall weekend.

Nebraska is dead in the water because they have no recruiting territory and the Big 10's territory is completely and totally picked over. Look at their class and look who they were beating for players. Nebraska may as well change their logo to a red flag.

Adding Rutgers to improve recruiting is a funny concept. If they left Rutgers in the AAC they would have pretty much continued to own NJ and not created an additional competitior in Rutgers.

But leave it to a Big 10 fan to live in the past. It's 2014, TV execs and conferences might care who won in the 70s. The 18 year old kids who actually win and lose the games going forward don't.

I imagine the Big 10 will only become more insufferable on academics and 'research'. Turning your nose up at Florida State and then watching them dismantle teams every week is going to demand a silly response that college football is about more than football.

Reaction Score

The Big 10 except for Ohio State is not getting the players needed to compete for National Championships. One only needs a TV to see this in living color every fall weekend.

Nebraska is dead in the water because they have no recruiting territory and the Big 10's territory is completely and totally picked over. Look at their class and look who they were beating for players. Nebraska may as well change their logo to a red flag.

Adding Rutgers to improve recruiting is a funny concept. If they left Rutgers in the AAC they would have pretty much continued to own NJ and not created an additional competitior in Rutgers.

But leave it to a Big 10 fan to live in the past. It's 2014, TV execs and conferences might care who won in the 70s. The 18 year old kids who actually win and lose the games going forward don't.

I imagine the Big 10 will only become more insufferable on academics and 'research'. Turning your nose up at Florida State and then watching them dismantle teams every week is going to demand a silly response that college football is about more than football.

Alright here, you've turned on some sort of negativity here that I'm not buying.

Neb beat Ga in their most recent bowl game - both teams were playing with significant injuries. They are also currently 10th in 2015 recruiting rankings, most publications. We'll see.

I don't think you have as much interest in how the BIG does in football as me, so you're cutting and pasting info that suits your agenda.

Btw, who is really catching the SEC, minus FSU last year?

I don't think the BIG thumbed their noses at FSU - that's purely Internet rumor. A lot of FSU fans were not supportive of a BIG move - that's a lot of travel & then there are the other Spring sports, which diminish in competitive value if in the BIG. They at the very least needed a partner - wasn't happening. I tend to think that we all overstate the ACC's demise. They'll be fine.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Alright here, you've turned on some sort of negativity here that I'm not buying.

Neb beat Ga in their most recent bowl game - both teams were playing with significant injuries. They are also currently 10th in 2015 recruiting rankings, most publications. We'll see.

I don't think you have as much interest in how the BIG does in football as me, so you're cutting and pasting info that suits your agenda.

Btw, who is really catching the SEC, minus FSU last year?

I don't think the BIG thumbed their noses at FSU - that's purely Internet rumor. A lot of FSU fans were not supportive of a BIG move - that's a lot of travel & then there are the other Spring sports, which diminish in competitive value if in the BIG. They at the very least needed a partner - wasn't happening. I tend to think that we all overstate the ACC's demise. They'll be fine.

I'm saying what I think will happen. I think the Big 10 will continue to fall short in football on the national stage and the gap between the SEC and Big Ten will grow not shrink.

That is what happens when you grow your league for cable boxes and not athletic achievement.

The Big Ten is living in the past.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Sports are cyclical. Oregon is a northern based team that has had success in dipping into southern (CA) recruiting to play fast. The current rules completely favor speed and uptempo offense. If player safety ever become a concern (particularly defensive player safety) and they slow the game down just a little bit, it might put more onus on a running game. That is when northern based football can find success.

The gap between the SEC and everyone is growing, not just the B1G. And it will have something to do with the SEC Network launch and adding more revenue to the SEC heavyweight bank accounts.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
You do realize that Oregon borders California, don't you? Not much of a reach to recruit from a neighboring state. ;)

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
When you SOB's take your heathcliff dust cloud of a scrum into the tweet threads it really pisses me off. Seriously. There are 50 threads on this board for your endless pissing contests that I avoid like the plague. These threads trigger alerts when people are consolidating information that others deem relevant. Every time you trip the alarm it brings me over here to read your crap.

Start a new thread.

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Pretty funny stuff here......"Nebraska is dead in the water.....may as well change their logo to a red flag". Odd that they're #9 in Rivals '15 recruiting rankings. They have 10 commits, including 4 4*s. All with a head coach many people suspect is crazy.

Just ignorant comments on your part.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom