Non-Key Tweets | Page 63 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Here's what should happen if anyone had any integrity:
the D1 presidents would say, "Cut the crap. We'll give you cost of attendance but the res t of it is BS. And we don't believe your bluster about breaking away because it doesn't work for you. if you break away, no more NCAA tournaments...for anyone because you're no longer members. So Duke, UNC, Kansas, UCLA we wish you well in the Top12 or whatever you choose to call you basketball tourney. BC, might's well petition to join the Big for hockey, because that's where you're going to have to play. How many folks are going to go to see you play Penn State for the 5th or 6th time do you think? South Carolina, maybe you can work a deal to play half your baseball schedule against the South Atlantic league...then again,maybe not..." Call their bluff but make it clear that if they leave the NCAA for football, they are out for everything else, too. My guess, though is that most of the presidents are of the opinion that they are best to be rid of the big football schools, so if they want their own rules, fine. Just don't keep bothering us.
They can have a 16 team BB tourney. That's exciting.
Football will get boring over time with no Boise State or NIU type stories.
Frankly except for their top teams the lower end of there membership is no better than the the next group.

If they leave , the NCAA adopts a football playoff system and crown their own National Champion. You can put that Champion down but like the old AFL champs you can't ignore them.If that system provides entertainment value the old guard will find themselves on a island of their own creation.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The gap between the top, call them aspiring, programs in the G5 and the rest of the G5 is greater than the gap between the top of the P5 and the top of the G5. IOW, the G5 can't as a group adopt P5 rules, so programs like UConn have the be able to play in the P5 sandbox whether a member or not.

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda‏@TuxedoYoda 8h
B12 to 14 w/ UCF, UConn, Cinci & BYU (fball only). It makes so much sense. Only reason for it not to happen is if Texas and/or OU wants out.
I think this would be a more realistic landing spot for UConn in the near term. B1G hopes are just too many years away to salvage UConn.

Reaction Score
I think this would be a more realistic landing spot for UConn in the near term. B1G hopes are just too many years away to salvage UConn.
I have felt his way since the shifting started or at least back to when RU to Big Ten was announced.

Big12, could use a BBall power to tandem with Kansas, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
I have felt his way since the shifting started or at least back to when RU to Big Ten was announced.

Big12, could use a BBall power to tandem with Kansas, that's for sure.
That scenario is acceptable to the B1G and ACC as it pretty much makes NYC a DMZ.
It's not great for UConn or the Big 12 but it's a compromise you have to make.

Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda? SMH. Dude is just grouping together the most obvious current omissions from The P5 Conferences and tacking them on to the smallest current one. Who's making up the difference in dollars that the current 10 members of The Big 12 would see by taking on 4 new mouths to feed? ESPN? FOX? Is UT or OU really interested in a long term arrangement that has them heading from as far as Provo to Orlando? I know you are all looking for something better, but this is not it. The other thread that highlights UCONN's Academic Goals is the key to your long term security.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The key to our long term security is the first P5 conference that opens the door. We'll worry about the neighbors after we unpack and put the trophies on the mantel.

Our academics prospects are heading where they're heading independent of whether any of these hayseeds running athletic conferences decide to favor us or not.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda? SMH. Dude is just grouping together the most obvious current omissions from The P5 Conferences and tacking them on to the smallest current one. Who's making up the difference in dollars that the current 10 members of The Big 12 would see by taking on 4 new mouths to feed? ESPN? FOX? Is UT or OU really interested in a long term arrangement that has them heading from as far as Provo to Orlando? I know you are all looking for something better, but this is not it. The other thread that highlights UCONN's Academic Goals is the key to your long term security.

I agree with you Ldandy. I don't think UCONN has much in common with the culture of the B12. But at this point, unless someone in a very high place at UCONN knows something we don't about our prospects for the B1G or ACC, UCONN needs to accept the first P5 conference offer it gets. We want in the P5 model before it slams shut and if that means the B12, then ride 'em cowboy!

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Forgot how bad our football got beat last year in the beginning of the season. You have to believe that with Coach P gone, a new energy guy in, and a team that was obviously out of shape prior to this year we should be able to win 3 to 4 more games then last year. Schools will see how much the team is improving under Coach D and that will prove to be the catalyst that gets us out of the AAC.

Reaction Score
Who's making up the difference in dollars that the current 10 members of The Big 12 would see by taking on 4 new mouths to feed? ESPN? FOX?

FOX is paying $4.16M for DePaul basketball. Odds are they're the frontrunner. . .

Reaction Score
According to the Dude of WV, Big 5 Autonomy Ends Expansion.

For the Big 12 it means no expansion. The conference is dead-set against expanding if the additions do not add to the television pot.
I think that’s a huge mistake on the Big 12’s part but you can’t argue with their logic. Right now there isn’t an expansion candidate available that can satisfy the plethora of metrics necessary to justify expansion.
A few are close. A few are tantalizing close and only need a track-record of success and few more points in the college football “Q score” to be worthy of inclusion.
Recently a Big 12 official told me that the conference was prepared to offer BYU and the UCF Knights membership in the conference if they were forced to meet the NCAA’s minimum number of members (12) for a championship game.
He told me that Bowlsby believed the details with BYU could be worked out and that UCF was by far the next best candidate available.
That won’t happen now – at least for a while. The trick for BYU and UCF will be in finding the money to compete with schools from the Big 5 for recruits and visibility.
It’s not hard to see BYU keeping pace. The Cougars have a contract with ESPN and their independent status will make them an attractive option for scheduling.

UCF will likely need it's alumni and fans to make up the difference to keep the Knight's program moving forward.

I'm told the Knights will be vetted again in 2020 and if the Knights can continue their success and push themselves over the top in terms of measurable they may just get their ticket punched into the Big 12 when the new television deal is due.

http://dudeofwv.blogspot.com/2014/04/big-5-autonomy-ends-expansion.html

Reaction Score
According to the Dude of WV, Big 5 Autonomy Ends Expansion.

For the Big 12 it means no expansion. The conference is dead-set against expanding if the additions do not add to the television pot.
I think that’s a huge mistake on the Big 12’s part but you can’t argue with their logic. Right now there isn’t an expansion candidate available that can satisfy the plethora of metrics necessary to justify expansion.
A few are close. A few are tantalizing close and only need a track-record of success and few more points in the college football “Q score” to be worthy of inclusion.
Recently a Big 12 official told me that the conference was prepared to offer BYU and the UCF Knights membership in the conference if they were forced to meet the NCAA’s minimum number of members (12) for a championship game.
He told me that Bowlsby believed the details with BYU could be worked out and that UCF was by far the next best candidate available.
That won’t happen now – at least for a while. The trick for BYU and UCF will be in finding the money to compete with schools from the Big 5 for recruits and visibility.
It’s not hard to see BYU keeping pace. The Cougars have a contract with ESPN and their independent status will make them an attractive option for scheduling.

UCF will likely need it's alumni and fans to make up the difference to keep the Knight's program moving forward.

I'm told the Knights will be vetted again in 2020 and if the Knights can continue their success and push themselves over the top in terms of measurable they may just get their ticket punched into the Big 12 when the new television deal is due.

http://dudeofwv.blogspot.com/2014/04/big-5-autonomy-ends-expansion.html

Was getting worried until I read this. We're in!

Reaction Score
I agree with you Ldandy. I don't think UCONN has much in common with the culture of the B12. But at this point, unless someone in a very high place at UCONN knows something we don't about our prospects for the B1G or ACC, UCONN needs to accept the first P5 conference offer it gets. We want in the P5 model before it slams shut and if that means the B12, then ride 'em cowboy!

I understand that it must feel like a life or death version of musical chairs for UCONN, especially with all of this new P5 subdivision crap being thrown around in the media. I sympathize with you guys, as IMO you should already have been safely in. That said TY is possibly the worst of all CR Bloggers. He has been pimping Big 12 expansion longer than anybody, despite the obvious distaste for it by those in positions of power in the Big 12 conference and in TV.

In order for his plan to be relevant one would have to believe that:

1)ESPN and Fox would be willing to raise the financial package of The Big 12 so that the per team payout for 14 teams matches what it did for 10. In reality current teams may want even more money to make up the difference for increased travel expenses to Provo, Storrs, and Orlando. When you take into account the fact that ESPN already owns the media rights to all four of these teams as an independent(BYU) and as members of The AAC (UCF, UC, UCONN) why would they be motivated to pay between 5-10X more for something they already own?

2)BYU. What's changed? They've flirted with Big 8 and Big 12 Membership in the past but have bowed out each time for "personal" reasons. Media deals are definitely driving change in the landscape, but at BYU? I'm not convinced. As the last remaining big football brand available, they are attractive. That said are they valuable enough to accept the concessions they will request from any conference?

3)Texas recruiting. The schools of the North hold on to the promise of mining Texas Talent as a means to keep their programs afloat. While IMO the effects are exaggerated on schools like KU or ISU, they believe it is vital for their survival. How would these talent deficient schools react to potential less exposure for their programs in Texas? Even with the potential of recruiting in FL or Ohio more regularly, I think they would object fervently.

4)UT. They are the 800 lb Gorilla in the room. As they go so does the conference. If they are not interested in building something like this(which I believe to be the case)it won't happen. If it did come together and later on they decided they wanted to do something else, no GOR or potential law suit would hold them. They will do what they want with their program. As long as their conference arrangement benefits them they will be quiet. If something changes...

If UCONN were to join this conference It could potentially become another AAC should UT, OU, and KU decide to look elsewhere in a few years. Hold out for better.

Last edited:

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
I may be on an island here but a scaled down big 12 with Iowa st, Kansas st, Kansas, tcu, Baylor, ok state, West Virginia, and text tech with a Cincy, UCf, and for basketball sake Memphis is way more appealing then our hodgepodge mess.

If Kansas leaves to big 10 then we will too in my opinion!

Reaction Score
btstimpy said:
I'm not an expert in College Wrestling. The passion for wrestling in Oklahoma was news to me.
Iowa, Iowa State, or OK State win the national championship most years, but the National Wrestling Hall of Fame is in Stillwater. Penn State's won the last few national titles.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I understand that it must feel like a life or death version of musical chairs for UCONN, especially with all of this new P5 subdivision crap being thrown around in the media. I sympathize with you guys, as IMO you should already have been safely in. That said TY is possibly the worst of all CR Bloggers. He has been pimping Big 12 expansion longer than anybody, despite the obvious distaste for it by those in positions of power in the Big 12 conference and in TV.

In order for his plan to be relevant one would have to believe that:

1)ESPN and Fox would be willing to raise the financial package of The Big 12 so that the per team payout for 14 teams matches what it did for 10. In reality current teams may want even more money to make up the difference for increased travel expenses to Provo, Storrs, and Orlando. When you take into account the fact that ESPN already owns the media rights to all four of these teams as an independent(BYU) and as members of The AAC (UCF, UC, UCONN) why would they be motivated to pay between 5-10X more for something they already own?

2)BYU. What's changed? They've flirted with Big 8 and Big 12 Membership in the past but have bowed out each time for "personal" reasons. Media deals are definitely driving change in the landscape, but at BYU? I'm not convinced. As the last remaining big football brand available, they are attractive. That said are they valuable enough to accept the concessions they will request from any conference?

3)Texas recruiting. The schools of the North hold on to the promise of mining Texas Talent as a means to keep their programs afloat. While IMO the effects are exaggerated on schools like KU or ISU, they believe it is vital for their survival. How would these talent deficient schools react to potential less exposure for their programs in Texas? Even with the potential of recruiting in FL or Ohio more regularly, I think they would object fervently.

4)UT. They are the 800 lb Gorilla in the room. As they go so does the conference. If they are not interested in building something like this(which I believe to be the case)it won't happen. If it did come together and later on they decided they wanted to do something else, no GOR or potential law suit would hold them. They will do what they want with their program. As long as their conference arrangement benefits them they will be quiet. If something changes...

If UCONN were to join this conference It could potentially become another AAC should UT, OU, and KU decide to look elsewhere in a few years. Hold out for better.

Once again, I agree with everything you said. But desperate people can't afford to hold out for better . Desperation means you take the first invite (and its cash) to fund your athletic programs and worry about what-if scenarios whenever they become real. Joining the Big12 wouldn't be my first choice. Heck, I think I'd rather join the PAC over the B12. But if they are the first ones to invite, UCONN has to accept. Get on the P5 bus first and worry about where its going later.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You know what's worse than something that might become another AAC?

The AAC.

Realistically, the Big Ten is not going to happen. Our best case is that the Big 12 or ACC feel pressure to expand to get a lookin on their contract in the face of the stronger/richer B10 and SEC.

We're really f---ed in the AAC but the ACC will be kinda f---ed too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You know what's worse than something that might become another AAC?

The AAC.

Realistically, the Big Ten is not going to happen. Our best case is that the Big 12 or ACC feel pressure to expand to get a lookin on their contract in the face of the stronger/richer B10 and SEC.

We're really f---ed in the AAC but the AAC will be kinda f---ed too.
You seem to be particularly cranky today, Fish. You need a hug?

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
My feeling is that Michigan, OSU, PSU and MSU didn't get thrown into an eastern division together to stop at Maryland and Rutgers. I think there's a reasonable chance of seeing UConn in the Big Ten within 5 years.

I guess my biggest reason for belief that The Big10 will expand some time soon is that the divisional scheduling. I don't see Michigan being happy with the home schedule it has every this year every other year. Having OSU or MSU both home and away is not good scheduling. They are UM's 2 biggest rivals (now that ND is off) and not to have one of them come to Ann Arbor in a season is just insane. Either Michigan AD Dave Brandon is an idiot (it's possible) or it's a short term thing. The schedule, IMO, will be changing in the next few years.

Reaction Score
Either Michigan AD Dave Brandon is an idiot (it's possible) or it's a short term thing. The schedule, IMO, will be changing in the next few years.

I agree. And they say Michigan and Ohio State run the conference... The conference clearly won there.

I think Delany wanted as much of Michigan and Michigan State (and PSU/OSU/et al.) AT Rutgers and Maryland, and that was one of the consequences (and a big one at that).

Reaction Score
I agree. And they say Michigan and Ohio State run the conference... The conference clearly won there.

I think Delany wanted as much of Michigan and Michigan State (and PSU/OSU/et al.) AT Rutgers and Maryland, and that was one of the consequences (and a big one at that).

Delany wants Michigan, Mich St, OSU & Penn St at Rutgers & Maryland for the 1st couple years because those game are owned by the B1G which means that they can put them on the BTN

Reaction Score
I guess my biggest reason for belief that The Big10 will expand some time soon is that the divisional scheduling. I don't see Michigan being happy with the home schedule it has every this year every other year. Having OSU or MSU both home and away is not good scheduling. They are UM's 2 biggest rivals (now that ND is off) and not to have one of them come to Ann Arbor in a season is just insane. Either Michigan AD Dave Brandon is an idiot (it's possible) or it's a short term thing. The schedule, IMO, will be changing in the next few years.

Who needs MSU and Ohio when you have the traditional rivals like Maryland and Indiana:confused:??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom