Non-Key Tweets | Page 62 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
ESPN Big Ten‏@ESPN_BigTen 14m
NCAA D1 board endorses plan to give big leagues autonomy w/ scholarship value, insurance, more. Final vote in August. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-board-directors-endorses-restructuring-process-seeks-feedback…

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Kevin McNamara‏@KevinMcNamara33 1h
ACC counting its $....Maryland submits ACC-conducted market analysis http://wapo.st/1ptAK4u
An excellent example of the phrase figures don't lie, but liar's figure. Very selective categories coupled with an expansive inclusion of teams were not members of the conference to bump up numbers.

CL82

Reaction Score
Jeff Goodman‏@GoodmanESPN 23h
Frank Haith's new staff at Tulsa: Dave Leitao, Tom Abatemarco and Dennis Felton.
Leitao huh. The Calhoun coaching tree lives on.

CL82

Reaction Score
ESPN Big Ten‏@ESPN_BigTen 14m
NCAA D1 board endorses plan to give big leagues autonomy w/ scholarship value, insurance, more. Final vote in August. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-board-directors-endorses-restructuring-process-seeks-feedback…
I'm not a huge fan of litigating but unless we put a stop to this we've effectively become a Div. 2 school. See below.

In order to allow the five highest-resource conferences (the Atlantic Coast Conference, Big 12 Conference, Big Ten Conference, Pac-12 Conference and Southeastern Conference) to address their unique challenges, the model would grant them autonomy to make rules on specific matters affecting the interests of student-athletes.
The university presidents who serve on the steering committee continue to seek more clarity and specificity about these proposed areas of autonomy. While retaining the concepts that were included in the “actionable” category, the board decided that the process it had identified as “actionable” - requiring the conferences other than the highest-profile five to take a separate vote – would not be included in the proposal.
The steering committee is seeking more feedback on the how the remaining 27 conferences would want to apply decisions made by the 65 schools in the five highest-profile conferences.
Areas in which the membership generally agrees on autonomy for the five conferences include:
  • financial aid, including full cost of attendance and scholarship guarantees;
  • insurance, including policies that protect future earnings;
  • academic support, particularly for at-risk student-athletes; and
  • other support, such as travel for families, free tickets to athletics events, and expenses associated with practice and competition (such as parking).
The steering committee continues to discuss other areas that could be included in the areas of autonomy, including the creation of mandatory time away from athletics for student-athletes; eliminating rules that prohibit student-athletes from pursuing careers outside of athletics while still competing (for example, making music and art or writing a book); recruiting; transfer issues; and athletics department personnel.
The board will seek feedback on some questions raised by members of governance bodies in recent days, including: the process by which items decided by the full division could become part of the list of autonomous areas; the voting, interpretation and enforcement processes within the five highest-profile conferences; and the core structure that separates not only the five highest-profile conferences into their own group but also continues a separation of the next five conferences (the American Athletic Conference, Conference-USA, Mid-American Conference, Mountain West Conference and Sun Belt Conference) from the remaining 22.

The NCAA is like Chamberlin at the Munich Conference. If this power grab isn't stopped now, things will only be worse down the road. Let's see if Aresco grows a sack and challenges this within 24 hours.

Reaction Score
The one time the NCAA would be justified hanging onto their old rules, and they cave in a second.

I wish nothing but the worst for Emmert's career.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
CL82 said:
While retaining the concepts that were included in the “actionable” category, the board decided that the process it had identified as “actionable” - requiring the conferences other than the highest-profile five to take a separate vote – would not be included in the proposal.

but also continues a separation of the next five conferences (the American Athletic Conference, Conference-USA, Mid-American Conference, Mountain West Conference and Sun Belt Conference) from the remaining 22.
These two nuggets mean that we will be able to survive and play by p5 rules in the short-term.

Reaction Score
Frank the Tank‏@frankthetank111 1h
Interesting puff piece RT @PaJosKo "@alex_prewitt: ACC market analysis, submitted by Maryland, can be found here: http://Post original url/QBhbYl
Boy, that's a pice of junk. If I got that from one of my consultants, or really a junior employee, I'd send it back with many many red circles. Though from Maryland's perspective, it looks like the ACC is saying it is going to do well so why do they care about losing the Terps?

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
freescooter said:
Boy, that's a pice of junk. If I got that from one of my consultants, or really a junior employee, I'd send it back with many many red circles. Though from Maryland's perspective, it looks like the ACC is saying it is going to do well so why do they care about losing the Terps?
exactly. It's so bush league. I tweeted the same as soon as I read it. Love how they quantify the b1g TV deal with just dollar signs But yes, this is perfect for Maryland to illustrate that the ACC has not been damaged

Reaction Score
These two nuggets mean that we will be able to survive and play by p5 rules in the short-term.

Dan - I don't read it that way. I read it as saying the P5 will be their own group and the G5 may possibly be allowed to do some things that separate them from the remaining 22 conferences. It doesn't say the G5 will be allowed to decide if they want to adhere to P5 policies.

This will create a clear separation between the P5 & the G5 which is no good for us

UConn Dan

Reaction Score
bobbyinaz said:
Dan - I don't read it that way. I read it as saying the P5 will be their own group and the G5 may possibly be allowed to do some things that separate them from the remaining 22 conferences. It doesn't say the G5 will be allowed to decide if they want to adhere to P5 policies. This will create a clear separation between the P5 & the G5 which is no good for us
the fact that the term "actionable" is removed from the final prop means that all P5 legislation will be permissible to be adopted by all other conferences without a full NCAA vote

CL82

Reaction Score
Dan - I don't read it that way. I read it as saying the P5 will be their own group and the G5 may possibly be allowed to do some things that separate them from the remaining 22 conferences. It doesn't say the G5 will be allowed to decide if they want to adhere to P5 policies.

This will create a clear separation between the P5 & the G5 which is no good for us
I read it as allowing the G5 to continue current things that separate them from the rest. It is bad, unless we can get into the P5 pronto.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Under the proposal, the division would still be led by a Board of Directors composed primarily of university presidents. However, new voices would be added: the chair of the Division I Student-Athlete Advisory Committee; the chair of a new group tentatively called the Council; and the most senior Division I member of the Faculty Athletics Representatives Association’s executive committee. The council chair would always be an athletics director, giving that constituency an automatic spot on the board.
The Board would focus chiefly on oversight and strategic issues, while leaving much of the day-to-day policy and legislative responsibility to the council.
The council, composed of at least 60 percent athletics directors, would have 38 members: one from each conference plus two voting student-athletes and four commissioners (one from the five highest profile Football Bowl Subdivision conferences, one from the remaining FBS conferences, one from the Football Championship Subdivision conferences and one from the remaining conferences). The council would be the final voice on shared-governance rule-making decisions.

How bad would this be? The board will still be primarily composed of academics and the council will have plenty of non P5 representation. Granted, the P5 schools will have more "flexibility to help the student athlete" but it does not preclude non P5 schools from doing the same.

Reaction Score
If G5 conferences can also make their own rules, they can simply adopt whatever rules the P5 agree to.

Reaction Score
How bad would this be? The board will still be primarily composed of academics and the council will have plenty of non P5 representation. Granted, the P5 schools will have more "flexibility to help the student athlete" but it does not preclude non P5 schools from doing the same.
Here's what should happen if anyone had any integrity:
the D1 presidents would say, "Cut the crap. We'll give you cost of attendance but the res t of it is BS. And we don't believe your bluster about breaking away because it doesn't work for you. if you break away, no more NCAA tournaments...for anyone because you're no longer members. So Duke, UNC, Kansas, UCLA we wish you well in the Top12 or whatever you choose to call you basketball tourney. BC, might's well petition to join the Big for hockey, because that's where you're going to have to play. How many folks are going to go to see you play Penn State for the 5th or 6th time do you think? South Carolina, maybe you can work a deal to play half your baseball schedule against the South Atlantic league...then again,maybe not..." Call their bluff but make it clear that if they leave the NCAA for football, they are out for everything else, too. My guess, though is that most of the presidents are of the opinion that they are best to be rid of the big football schools, so if they want their own rules, fine. Just don't keep bothering us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmed69

Top Bottom