Non-Key Tweets | Page 274 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Collusion? Currently Fox and ESPN share the B12. If they are planning to share the B1G contract (likely), then OU and KU to the B1G is a lateral move ... whereas OU to SEC would improve ESPN and damage Fox, so would probably have to wait for 2025.

But if OU and KU go to the B1G, where is UConn's partner?

What does ESPN get in return? What's their plan? ESPN doesn't take a dump without a plan, so how does this help them?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
See Conference Realignment Rule #1 :mad:

And who back fills the B12? Houston and Memphis? And then they go on to add Boise St and UCF?

And so does the AAC add Buffalo and Georgia State? Yes...I'm being ridiculous

Reaction Score
What does ESPN get in return? What's their plan? ESPN doesn't take a dump without a plan, so how does this help them?

Shared Tier1 rights with FOX. When the B1G is thriving, it brings in major ratings. Ohio State is going to crush the ratings this season. Harbaugh is going to draw in viewers every week that other wise wouldn't be watching Michigan under Hoke. Michigan State has a blockbuster game against Oregon at home. You get the picture.

Reaction Score
See Conference Realignment Rule #1 :mad:

Bingo. No chance UConn gets its ticket punched if it's KU and OU.

UConn's best bet is that OU jumps to the SEC.

If that happens enough gets shaken up that maybe we have a chance because than the SEC would need a 16th from either the Big 12 or ACC. KU gets the B1G invite at 15 and we get a either a B1G invite at 16 or an ACC invite to backfill an ACC team that jumped to the SEC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What I like about this rumor is that the notion that there is identical ownership in the broadcast rights before and after the move. This will test the argument that GORs have less (no?) teeth, at least in terms of locking a school into a specific contract, if the schools rights continue to be broadcast by the same entity.

I know it isn't Rule #1 but I can see that scenario opening the floodgates, which would benefit UConn (knock wood, we're doomed, etc.)

FWIW, what I think ESPN gets out of this is they consolidate their valuable properties, in this case in the B1G. It will be part of the premium that B1G will get in any event, and it positions them to "Big East" the Big 12 with a take or leave it offer down the road.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Shared Tier1 rights with FOX. When the B1G is thriving, it brings in major ratings. Ohio State is going to crush the ratings this season. Harbaugh is going to draw in viewers every week that other wise wouldn't be watching Michigan under Hoke. Michigan State has a blockbuster game against Oregon at home. You get the picture.

ESPN can share rights without facilitating OU and KU out of the Big12 contract. No need to help Fox/BTN get stronger with something they could get without a deal. I guess The Big10 could be playing hardball, but would ESPN bite? There has to be something more.

pj

Reaction Score
Possibly they would avert a bidding war on the B1G Tier 1 contract. In exchange for lower rights fees, they would help the B1G increase the value of the BTN.

I think this is an unlikely rumor due to the risk of antitrust lawsuits. But if we didn't have antitrust law, you could see Fox and ESPN meeting to divvy up the properties with a minimum rights fee payout.

Reaction Score
G REG S WAI M‏@GSw aim 3h3 hours ago
The more I talk to beat writers covering #Big12 schools, the more I'm leaning to this conference being devoured by #SEC, #B1G, #Pac12, #ACC.

GR EG S WAIM‏@G Sw aim 2h2 hours ago
When all said and done, and #Big12 dies, most of demise can be tracked to #UT and #LHN...but obviously Horns will have a soft landing spot.

GR EG S WAIM‏@GSw aim 2h2 hours ago

GREG SWAIM retweeted Shawn Withrow

For now it makes a lot of money, but #LHN prohibits #Big12 from having a TV network, so they've peaked out. https://twitter.com/withrowsp/status/628978615322066944…

GREG SWAIM added,

Shawn Withrow @withrowsp
@GSwaim Seems like many are rooting for that outcome, which I don't get. Big 12 is a great, fun, conference and makes plenty of money.

GREG SWAIM‏@GSwaim 2h2 hours ago
Obviously what #Sooners do will get the dominoes falling, as #UT can't go anywhere yet and keep #LHN...the rest are hostages to those two.

It'll likely be a slow death of 3-4 years. https://twitter.com/Paxton913/status/628979890713444352…

GREG SWAIM retweeted Shawn Withrow

Minimal in comparison to what other four power conferences will get..and other than #LHN, tier 3 is chump change. https://twitter.com/withrowsp/status/628982066747731968…

GREG SWAIM added,

Shawn Withrow @withrowsp
@GSwaim I suppose, but that kind of glosses over the money each team is making on their own tier 3 rights.

#Sooners could easily afford to leave now, and Boren has hinted, but once OU leaves it's all over but the crying for #Big12.

Biggest culprit in #Big12 demise is they refused to expand, and now pickings slim. If they didn't add #CardNation, who would they add now?

The only thing that would save the #Big12 long term is to steal teams from other #Power5 conferences, and that is not likely.

GREG SWAIM retweeted Dennis Hogan

If half or majority of teams leave the #Big12 then GOR becomes unenforceable. https://twitter.com/dhogan671/status/628991873651200000…

GREG SWAIM added,

Dennis Hogan @dhogan671
@theDudeofWV @GSwaim honest question here, what happens to gor if big 12 dissolves ?

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/628996238575165440

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/628996492452171776

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/628997639363629056

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/628997924152684544

ME: Ouch! A conference dying and they still don't want UConn.

https://twitter.com/GSwaim/status/628999550863175680

Reaction Score

OU and OSU to the SEC would be best case scenario for UConn. Makes invite to B1G alongside KU much more likely.

Reaction Score
Many people have long believed Virginia Tech is B1G target. I'd bet on us joining with them if we are invited.
As I said in another thread, I'm hoping for an October B1G invite & immediate acceptance. PLEASE!

Reaction Score

OU and OSU to the SEC would be best case scenario for UConn. Makes invite to B1G alongside KU much more likely.

I'd prefer OU and an ACC school to the SEC. That way we have a couple of different potential landing spots.

Reaction Score
Looks like an "insider" at Landthieves got caught for being a fake insider. Not surprising. User handle is Recruiter.

I don't see why people waste their time pretending to be an insider. Real insider information is rarely ever leaked.

dayooper

Reaction Score
Looks like an "insider" at Landthieves got caught for being a fake insider. Not surprising. User handle is Recruiter.

I don't see why people waste their time pretending to be an insider. Real insider information is rarely ever leaked.

That place has gone down hill in a hurry. It's unreadable with the my conference is better than yours crap.

Reaction Score
If I was Castiglione I would be in Boren's ear as much as possible to get him to call the SEC. OU has 43 kids on their roster from the state of TX...they leave for the B1G and they will see TX recruiting grind to a halt. Then they become like Nebraska...a program that loses it's most fertile recruiting base. At least with the SEC...they get away from UT...yet rejoin up with A&M.

Reaction Score
If I was Castiglione I would be in Boren's ear as much as possible to get him to call the SEC. OU has 43 kids on their roster from the state of TX...they leave for the B1G and they will see TX recruiting grind to a halt. Then they become like Nebraska...a program that loses it's most fertile recruiting base. At least with the SEC...they get away from UT...yet rejoin up with A&M.

Texas has never been Nebraska's most fertile recruiting base.

Reaction Score
You are right...they get most of their kids from Nebraska...BUT TX kids took up a fair amount of the roster spots at Nebraska before they left for the B1G... there is a direct correlation between the recruiting success they have in that state now from when they were in B-12. In June of 2010 when Nebraska was accepted into the B1g they had 28 kids from TX on the 2010 season football roster, they also had 28 kids in 2009. In 2011 Nebraska's first year in the B1G they had 21 kids on the roster from TX...the 2015 roster has 14. They have 1 kid committed from TX from the 2016 class. There is no way OU's play on the field doesn't suffer if they go to a conference that doesn't put them on the field in TX every other year.

Reaction Score
You are right...they get most of their kids from Nebraska...BUT TX kids took up a fair amount of the roster spots at Nebraska before they left for the B1G... there is a direct correlation between the recruiting success they have in that state now from when they were in B-12. In June of 2010 when Nebraska was accepted into the B1g they had 28 kids from TX on the 2010 season football roster, they also had 28 kids in 2009. In 2011 Nebraska's first year in the B1G they had 21 kids on the roster from TX...the 2015 roster has 14. They have 1 kid committed from TX from the 2016 class. There is no way OU's play on the field doesn't suffer if they go to a conference that doesn't put them on the field in TX every other year.

I totally agree.

Reaction Score
Bingo. No chance UConn gets its ticket punched if it's KU and OU.

If KU and OU leave the Big 12, Texas doesn't stick around. If they go to the SEC, ACC or Big Ten, it's possible UConn could benefit. If they go indy or end up in the PAC, that might present some problems.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 completely implodes, we are beyond screwed.

We're already beyond , but we would be so far beyond that it'd take some sort of NASA rover launching from regular to find us in our new orbit.

We'd be in a slightly prettier version of the AAC, but we'd likely be there for the rest of time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

It is almost always leaked. Pitt and Syracuse to ACC was announced on some southern radio station 2 weeks before it happened. A poster warned this board about Rutgers about a week before they left. One of the moonshine boys is occasionally dead on in between being wildly inaccurate. Heck, I was told by a friend that BCU was trying to get out of the Big East a month before that story broke, I just didn't believe it. Information leaks all the time. It is not like we are dealing with national security or corporate M&A.

Reaction Score
Actually the guy who called Recruiter out has been banned for regurgitating "insider information" from MH3, The Dude, and Flug.

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Been screaming this since the rumors starting flying.............OU and the B1g are a horrendous athletic fit. You nailed it right on the head...........10 years after joining the B1g, OU has a much greater chance of looking like a current version of Nebraska than they do Ohio State. For a school with options, the B1g is 3rd on their list of conferences to join.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom