Non-Key Tweets | Page 275 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 completely implodes, we are beyond screwed.

We're already beyond , but we would be so far beyond that it'd take some sort of NASA rover launching from regular to find us in our new orbit.

We'd be in a slightly prettier version of the AAC, but we'd likely be there for the rest of time.
What you say is impossible, I say is our only shot.

Reaction Score
I don't see how any realignment scenario involving Big 12 implosion is helpful to UConn unless they're looking forward to a AAC+Big 12 remnants merger.

I think all scenarios that result in UConn being joining a P5 conference involves the Big Ten shaking off a Virginia school or two.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't see how any realignment scenario involving Big 12 implosion is helpful to UConn unless they're looking forward to a AAC+Big 12 remnants merger.

I think all scenarios that result in UConn being joining a P5 conference involves the Big Ten shaking off a Virginia school or two.

There are some formulations where we become "the fourth school." They are wildly speculative, but what isn't wildly speculative on this board.

I don't see a way out of the AAC for us, but I didn't see the prior moves before they leaked either, so I take some comfort in the notion that something could be happening, despite the fact that it likely is not.

FWIW, September is another window where an announcement of B1G expansion is possible. I'm not holding my breath.

Reaction Score
If the Big Ten takes OU and Kansas as some have suggested, and Texas follows, they'll need a fourth. It's unlikely that the B1G will take another from the Big 12, or Missouri/Vanderbilt, or a strengthened ACC school. That leaves Connecticut. If the B1G shakes loose a Virginia school, or more, UConn has an opportunity to move to the ACC.

Reaction Score
If Texas really wants in, they'll have influence on who #18 is and my bet would be a second Texas school.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Bingo. No chance UConn gets its ticket punched if it's KU and OU.

UConn's best bet is that OU jumps to the SEC.

If that happens enough gets shaken up that maybe we have a chance because than the SEC would need a 16th from either the Big 12 or ACC. KU gets the B1G invite at 15 and we get a either a B1G invite at 16 or an ACC invite to backfill an ACC team that jumped to the SEC.

UConn's best chance is that the Big 12 holds together. It did last time it's imminent demise was rumored. As did the ACC when it's demise was rumored. I'll say it again, 4 X 16 is not enough schools. It has to be closer to 5 X 16 or 4 X 20.

Reaction Score
IMHO Texas either goes west to the Pac...or most likely goes to the ACC with ND...with both schools keeping their tv deals. This puts the ACC at 16. They stop there. That will be enough to either get the ACCN off the ground or up the $$ from ESPN. It also gives the ACC a little more time to launch the ACCN.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If Texas really wants in, they'll have influence on who #18 is and my bet would be a second Texas school.
If Texas has any influence on who they are added with (to any conference) I'll wager heavily that there is no chance that another Texas school gets invited.

Reaction Score
If Texas has any influence on who they are added with (to any conference) I'll wager heavily that there is no chance that another Texas school gets invited.

I think this is very true. A&M is already gone to the SEC and not leaving anytime soon. So which other Texas school has substantial value? Not Baylor, which has a lot in common with Wake Forest, and definitely not Texas Tech (not to mention TCU, Houston, etc.).

Reaction Score
If the PAC takes the four Texas schools; the Big takes Kansas and OU; the SEC takes OK State and K State, and the ACC takes WVU and holds or adds Iowa State too; then UConn is screwed. . .

Reaction Score
What FfldCntyFan says here!!!!! UT looks out for one thing and one thing ONLY...UT! If every school in Texas was left out by CR tomorrow they would be doing cartwheels in Austin! They showed how they look at all the other schools in that state when they started the LHN. A&M couldn't wait to get away from them...just like OU has had enough. If you look at UT rationally you quickly realize they look at themselves as above everyone else and equal to ND. That's what makes me think that those 2 schools will be 15 & 16 in the ACC...with the special privilege of keeping their tv deals.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If the PAC takes the four Texas schools; the Big takes Kansas and OU; the SEC takes OK State and K State, and the ACC takes WVU and holds or adds Iowa State too; then UConn is screwed. . .

the cable box revenue model is becoming less predictable.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/cord-cutters-weights-on-pay-tv-1438820384

“I was shocked at how far the ratings across the board have fallen this spring, and you can’t really explain that easily. It’s not just Netflix,” said Mike White, the former chief executive of DirecTV. “It’s clear that the millennial generation is having an impact, and every media company is trying to figure out how to connect with them.”

In addition, for June through mid-July, the top 30 cable networks were down more than 10% in viewers in prime time and 20% among adults 18-49 compared with the same period a year ago, according to data from Nielsen.

Cable networks that have lost a significant amount of subscribers over the past four years include ESPN, Viacom Inc.’s Nickelodeon and Time Warner’s TNT, according to Nielsen data. Disney CEORobert Iger acknowledged ESPN has lost customers, but told analysts Tuesday that Nielsen’s estimate of a 7% decline was inaccurately large and that no one was hitting the panic button.

Reaction Score
What FfldCntyFan says here!!!!! UT looks out for one thing and one thing ONLY...UT! If every school in Texas was left out by CR tomorrow they would be doing cartwheels in Austin! They showed how they look at all the other schools in that state when they started the LHN. A&M couldn't wait to get away from them...just like OU has had enough. If you look at UT rationally you quickly realize they look at themselves as above everyone else and equal to ND. That's what makes me think that those 2 schools will be 15 & 16 in the ACC...with the special privilege of keeping their tv deals.

Does LHN work if their bulk of their sports are in the ACC or do they look to craft their own football deal similar to ND?

Reaction Score
Does LHN work if their bulk of their sports are in the ACC or do they look to craft their own football deal similar to ND?
IMHO LHN works because outside of basketball they will have enough content to still be viable. And even then if the ACC let's them keep the LHN as terms of UT agreeing to join the Conference...they can still put their hoops games that aren't on ESPN. Thing is ESPN has a stake in the LHN so that stuff would be pretty easy.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
If the Big 12 completely implodes, we are beyond screwed.

We're already beyond , but we would be so far beyond that it'd take some sort of NASA rover launching from regular to find us in our new orbit.

We'd be in a slightly prettier version of the AAC, but we'd likely be there for the rest of time.
If this is true, then we are already banished for the rest of time.

Seriously, what far fetched but plausible scenario gets us in the P4? Other than mass chaos of the B12 implosion and the half dozen permutations it might create, are we waiting on Notre Dame to join the ACC (pipe dream)? B1G invite in ten years (same likelihood as a B12 implosion)? I'm coming up blank on something else?

Reaction Score
If this is true, then we are already banished for the rest of time.

Seriously, what far fetched but plausible scenario gets us in the P4? Other than mass chaos of the B12 implosion and the half dozen permutations it might create, are we waiting on Notre Dame to join the ACC (pipe dream)? B1G invite in ten years (same likelihood as a B12 implosion)? I'm coming up blank on something else?

If the B1G goes to 16 with Kansas and OU, I'd think that the SEC would want to expand, and there's nothing else coming out of the B12 they'd want, except Texas, which isn't happening. So they'll poach a couple of teams from the ACC (NC State and V-Tech?), which will need to backfill. I'd imagine that their top candidates would be us and WVU. Maybe Cincinnati would be involved, but I think we'd have to be ahead of them, especially if the ACC wants to get a network. Then UT goes to the ACC as a football independent, and we're sitting pretty. The seven remaining B12 schools grab the best 5 schools remaining (Cincy, Memphis, BYU, Boise State, UCF), and we pretend that's still a power conference until the new TV deals.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
If the B1G goes to 16 with Kansas and OU, I'd think that the SEC would want to expand, and there's nothing else coming out of the B12 they'd want, except Texas, which isn't happening. So they'll poach a couple of teams from the ACC (NC State and V-Tech?), which will need to backfill. I'd imagine that their top candidates would be us and WVU. Maybe Cincinnati would be involved, but I think we'd have to be ahead of them, especially if the ACC wants to get a network. Then UT goes to the ACC as a football independent, and we're sitting pretty. The seven remaining B12 schools grab the best 5 schools remaining (Cincy, Memphis, BYU, Boise State, UCF), and we pretend that's still a power conference until the new TV deals.
The B12 losing OU, Kansas, and Texas equals "implosion."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Once again, Delany said as of this year that the Big Ten is expanding east......

Oklahoma, Kansas and Texas A&M already tried. The Big Ten went with Maryland and Rutgers.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...a-state-sought-to-join-big-ten-in-2010-072615
(I don't believe ESPN or Fox would stop paying the Big 12's television rights fee because they could be sued for helping to encourage the existing Big 12 schools to change conferences. Why would the schools be leaving for the Pac 12 and the Big Ten? For more TV money. Where does that money come from? ESPN and Fox's deals with the two conferences. It's no surprise that no conference has ever lost its television package over the loss of members. Now what would happen when the TV contracts ran out? The conference might well die).

Yeah and ESPN would never fund the evisceration of a conference leaving it to whither and die.

Reaction Score
The B12 losing OU, Kansas, and Texas equals "implosion."

I don't think I disputed that anywhere. I'm just saying what I think the result would be. I don't think a Big 12 implosion necessarily creates a horrible, dire situation for UConn.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
There is no real reason a conference like the ACC needs to backfill if it loses a couple of members. As long as they have 12, they have their championship game. Why add more schools when you already have plenty of dead weight as it is? I just don't think there is some end game where there will be 4 or 5 power conferences with 16 teams each.

Reaction Score
Tcu and Baylor are arguably the two best fball schools in the b12 right now.

Reaction Score
There is no real reason a conference like the ACC needs to backfill if it loses a couple of members. As long as they have 12, they have their championship game. Why add more schools when you already have plenty of dead weight as it is? I just don't think there is some end game where there will be 4 or 5 power conferences with 16 teams each.

Well, they did it last time they lost someone.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
(I don't believe ESPN or Fox would stop paying the Big 12's television rights fee because they could be sued for helping to encourage the existing Big 12 schools to change conferences. Why would the schools be leaving for the Pac 12 and the Big Ten? For more TV money. Where does that money come from? ESPN and Fox's deals with the two conferences. It's no surprise that no conference has ever lost its television package over the loss of members. Now what would happen when the TV contracts ran out? The conference might well die).

Yeah and ESPN would never fund the evisceration of a conference leaving it to whither and die.

That came after ESPN offered the Big East a fair deal they turned down. The Big East committed suicide.

ESPN was just the pharmacist who filled the RX for the sleeping pills.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom