Non-Key Tweets | Page 272 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Not a tweet, but of potential interest...,

Scheduling Model Moving Forward

What was interesting was the answer to the question. Jim Delany was asked from a reporter why is the B1G going to 9 game schedule. His answer was a little insightful - he said not only for fans, strength of schedule but also because of continuing expansion

[Post edited by osubuckeyes27 at 08/01/2015 12:46AM]

Well that is interesting, either UConn or Big 12 i assume

I guess it could be ACC but that would surprise me

(In response to this post by osubuckeyes27)

I wrote that, it wasn't a Buckeye fan...
goldendomer
08/01/2015 12:03AM

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Not a tweet, but of potential interest...,

Scheduling Model Moving Forward

What was interesting was the answer to the question. Jim Delany was asked from a reporter why is the B1G going to 9 game schedule. His answer was a little insightful - he said not only for fans, strength of schedule but also because of continuing expansion

This post doesn't make any sense with the edit. Can you provide a paraphrase of what osubuckeyes27 originally said?

GG

Reaction Score
Sorry for any confusion. The threads are as follows:

goldendomer_avatar.jpg

goldendomer
07/31/2015 12:04PM

B1G Scheduling Model Moving Forward

McMurphyESPN11:44am via TweetDeck
BYU & Notre Dame will count toward B1G’s Power 5 requirement, Jim Delany said

BrianHamiltonSI 11:25am via TweetDeck
Jim Delany on Big Ten strength of schedule plan starting in 2016: No FCS. One “intersectional game” against Power 5 team, nine league games.

slmandel 11:25am via Twitter for iPhone
Big Ten strength of schedule model that begins next season (includes no FCS foes).

osubuckeyes27
08/01/2015 12:46AM

Re: B1G Scheduling Model Moving Forward

goldendomer
08/01/2015 12:03AM

Reaction Score
This post doesn't make any sense with the edit. Can you provide a paraphrase of what osubuckeyes27 originally said?
I am surprised such a intelligent you couldn't figure out how to follow the posts on that board Nelson

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm with Nelson - where did Delaney say anything about 'further expansion'?

Reaction Score
I read these posts on the VT board, but couldn't find another reference to Delany's answer that he gave to a reporter. @nd73, do you mind asking where osubuckeyes27 saw Delany's quote, or if he heard it first hand at the event? Maybe the press conference is running on BTN or its website.

EDIT: Not to be a downer, but it's possible that Delany was simply suggesting that a 9 game schedule (vs. an 8 game schedule) enables existing conference rivals to meet frequently, even with the recent expansion of two additional teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think osubuckeyes27 is incorrect when he said that Delaney mentioned "continuing expansion".
I found the transcript on the B1G website, including questions from reporters. No mention of expansion.

He does mention AAU:
"What makes it really work is that these are peer institutions, major research, AAU members."

Regarding facilities:
"People have suggested that when we have been involved in expansion, there have been expectations or suggestions or recommendations about facilities. And I can tell you that has never been true whether it's Penn State or whether it was Nebraska, Rutgers, or Maryland."

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/delanyjim.pdf

Reaction Score
I read these posts on the VT board, but couldn't find another reference to Delany's answer that he gave to a reporter. @nd73, do you mind asking where osubuckeyes27 saw Delany's quote, or if he heard it first hand at the event? Maybe the press conference is running on BTN or its website.
I never saw the quote and think it was likely not stated that way otherwise it would be on a lot of expansion boards.

Reaction Score
I think osubuckeyes27 is incorrect when he said that Delaney mentioned "continuing expansion".
I found the transcript on the B1G website, including questions from reporters. No mention of expansion.

He does mention AAU:
"What makes it really work is that these are peer institutions, major research, AAU members."

Regarding facilities:
"People have suggested that when we have been involved in expansion, there have been expectations or suggestions or recommendations about facilities. And I can tell you that has never been true whether it's Penn State or whether it was Nebraska, Rutgers, or Maryland."

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools...auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/delanyjim.pdf

This sentence can easily be taken out of context if one was trying to:

>>"In 2016, we will establish ‑‑ not in 2015, but in 2016, our scheduling format. We call it Strength of Schedule 1910. We'll have one major intersectional game each year against an autonomy conference. We'll have nine conference games, which allows us to play each other on a more regular basis, which I think is important as conferences expand. "

Reaction Score

He does mention AAU:

Regarding facilities:

In the document was this, which could be what OSbuckeye was referencing:

We'll have nine conference games, which allows us to play each other on a more regular basis, which I think is important as conferences expand.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire · 4m4 minutes ago
Interesting read. Oliver Luck says WVU had no shot at getting invited to ACC.

http://www.connect-bridgeport.com/c...ance-and-Failure-to-Renew-Backyard-Brawl17619

“That’s probably fair to say that was it,” said Luck when asked about the paramount moment of his time at WVU. “At the end of the day conference affiliation is essential for a program.”

Luck took it one step further, however, in describing just how essential it was as he could see the Big East beginning the sideway swim toward its inevitable football demise

“When you had Pitt and Syracuse leave and TCU deciding not to join, it was an existential threat to the University,” said Luck. “When you think about it, to a certain degree on an athletic front it was a threat to the state, particularly when you consider there are no pro teams. It would have been a major blow had you not been able to find a spot in what they’re calling now a Power 5
conference."

Reaction Score

http://www.connect-bridgeport.com/c...ance-and-Failure-to-Renew-Backyard-Brawl17619

“That’s probably fair to say that was it,” said Luck when asked about the paramount moment of his time at WVU. “At the end of the day conference affiliation is essential for a program.”

Luck took it one step further, however, in describing just how essential it was as he could see the Big East beginning the sideway swim toward its inevitable football demise

“When you had Pitt and Syracuse leave and TCU deciding not to join, it was an existential threat to the University,” said Luck. “When you think about it, to a certain degree on an athletic front it was a threat to the state, particularly when you consider there are no pro teams. It would have been a major blow had you not been able to find a spot in what they’re calling now a Power 5
conference."

And... "The door to the Big 10 was never open either and it had nothing to do with a slight at WVU. Luck said he had, and still has, a great relationship with Commissioner Jim Delaney, but that WVU simply did not have Association of American University status."

Reaction Score
In the documet was this, which could be what OSbuckeye was referencing:

We'll have nine conference games, which allows us to play each other on a more regular basis, which I think is important as conferences expand.

It's at 7:30 here: http://btn.com/2015/07/31/big-tens-jim-delany-eyes-true-balance-between-athletics-academics/

It's so quick that it didn't even register with me the first time I watched.

Also see the TV contract talk at 20:30. He certainly doesn't deny that tOSU winning it all might be a factor.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
In reading the transcript of Delany's comments, there are no scraps of hope hiding in there.

Reaction Score
And the "Dude" and his "sources" go down in flames tonight since Luck came out with the truth and the "Dude" was wrong on it all.
  1. 9:27 PM - 2 Aug 2015 · Details
    " data-you-follow="true" data-follows-you="true" data-you-block="false" style="position: relative; min-height: 51px; padding: 9px 12px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(225, 232, 237); cursor: pointer;">
    Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 5m5 minutes ago
    So let me end the beef here tonight...well no..I don't need to....b/c Oliver Luck did it for me.

0 retweets0 favorites

2. 9:26 PM - 2 Aug 2015 · Details
    " data-you-follow="true" data-follows-you="true" data-you-block="false" style="position: relative; min-height: 51px; padding: 9px 12px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(225, 232, 237); cursor: pointer;">

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 6m6 minutes ago
    So the Dude...who has been writing a book...who has been working with his sources couldn't get one thing write on WVU realignment?...yep.

0 retweets0 favorites

3. 9:25 PM - 2 Aug 2015 · Details
    " data-mentions="theDudeofWV" data-you-follow="true" data-follows-you="true" data-you-block="false" style="position: relative; min-height: 51px; padding: 9px 12px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(225, 232, 237); cursor: pointer;">

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 7m7 minutes ago
    Read Luck's comments..is Luck lying or was @theDudeofWV been wrong all these years? Let me ask you another question..when has he been right?

0 retweets0 favorites

4. 9:23 PM - 2 Aug 2015 · Details

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 9m9 minutes ago
    Look at what Luck said in regards to the ACC...WVU never were in discussion among ACC...no shot. UNC or some combo did not blackball WVU

0 retweets0 favorites

5. 9:22 PM - 2 Aug 2015 · Details
    " data-mentions="theDudeofWV" data-you-follow="true" data-follows-you="true" data-you-block="false" style="position: relative; min-height: 51px; padding: 9px 12px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(225, 232, 237); cursor: pointer;">

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 10m10 minutes ago
    Hell...@thedudeofwv told us two weeks ago on his Twitter he had FACTS saying WVU received an invite to the B1G..but declined..

0 retweets0 favorites

6. 9:21 PM - 2 Aug 2015 · Details

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 11m11 minutes ago
    Oliver Luck rebukes everything @theDudeofWV has said in the last 5 yrs in regards to WVU status with triying to get an invite from ACC/SEC.

0 retweets0 favorites

7. 9:19 PM - 2 Aug 2015 · Details
    " data-mentions="mkw_14" data-you-follow="true" data-follows-you="true" data-you-block="false" style="position: relative; min-height: 51px; padding: 9px 12px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(225, 232, 237); cursor: pointer;">

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 13m13 minutes ago
    @mkw_14 Everything. Dude was wrong on everything about WVU on ACC/SEC/B1G.

View conversation0 retweets0 favorites

8. 8:48 PM - 2 Aug 2015 · Details
    " data-mentions="CincyGuy2009" data-you-follow="true" data-follows-you="true" data-you-block="false" style="position: relative; min-height: 51px; padding: 9px 12px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-bottom-style: solid; border-bottom-color: rgb(225, 232, 237); cursor: pointer;">

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 44m44 minutes ago
    @CincyGuy2009 True..however it does not seem a specific school vetoed WVU ACC invitation.

View conversation0 retweets0 favorites

9. 8:45 PM - 2 Aug 2015 · Details

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 47m47 minutes ago
    http://connect-bridgeport.com/connect.cfm?… Luck also says WVU was never a candidate for the Big Ten...and WVU was a possible "maybe" if MIzzou passed on SEC

0 retweets0 favorites

10. 8:40 PM - 2 Aug 2015 · Details

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 52m52 minutes ago
    "WVU....was never invited,” said Luck. “When the most recent discussions were taking place, there was zero opportunity with the ACC – none.”

0 retweets0 favorites

11. 8:38 PM - 2 Aug 2015 · Details

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 54m54 minutes ago
    "ACC was never an option...all you have to do is go back and look at the history of the ACC and WVU’s history with the Southern Conference"

0 retweets0 favorites

12. 8:35 PM - 2 Aug 2015 · Details

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 57m57 minutes ago
    http://www.connect-bridgeport.com/connect.cfm?func=view&section=Sports-Blog&item=From-the-Bench-Luck-Talks-New-NCAA-Gig-Big-12-Significance-and-Failure-to-Renew-Backyard-Brawl17619… Interesting read. Oliver Luck says WVU had no shot at getting invited to ACC.

Reaction Score

conference."
Very sobering article. They were very close to being exactly where we are. The dollar difference going forward is never any less staggering, regardless how many times you hear it.

I really do wonder just when exactly the clock stikes 12, when the $ difference is so dramatic over the course of a decade.

Reaction Score
Very sobering article. They were very close to being exactly where we are. The dollar difference going forward is never any less staggering, regardless how many times you hear it.

I really do wonder just when exactly the clock stikes 12, when the $ difference is so dramatic over the course of a decade.

We can't last a decade. I don't think we can even last five years.

Reaction Score
Something tells Olly Luck is going to be getting a call from The Dude and informing him that "his sources" have confirmed that he is wrong about everything he said in that article :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
We can't last a decade. I don't think we can even last five years.
I agree personally, but everything has gone against us, the latest cable cord cutting trend that is really being led by millenials and is causing the likes of ESPN to cinch their belts is the latest example.

Reaction Score
I heard the quote in question while watching Delany's interview on BTN. He said the 9 conference game schedule is not for the fans, but to accommodate continuing conference expansion. That's almost verbatim. Delany also had an impish grin on his face when he said it.

Reaction Score

That quoted money difference of up to $100 million.....is about the same difference between the B1G and the Big 12/ACC over the same time.

pj

Reaction Score
With 16 teams, 9 games allows 2 divisions of 8, 7 games in division and 2 cross-division, games played against every team every 4 years; or 4 pods of 4, 3 games in pod and 2 games in every other pod yearly, games played against every team every 2 years. If frequently seeing Michigan / Ohio State etc on the schedule is important, then I expect they'll go to a 4-pod setup, which would need CCG deregulation. Maybe they would have semifinals among the pod champions to determine the CCG teams?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
So if Luck is correct, every expansion move to date had to do with geography above all else with a dash of desperation thrown in.

If WVU wasn't good enough for the ACC or B1G, certainly not the SEC. Then the B12 took them because they were the best closest program.

The ACC took Louisville because they were the best closest program.

The B1G took MD and RU because they were the best (cable box) closest programs.

Just reinforces how dumb the ACC was to pick BC, Cuse, and Pitt. Neither good, nor close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom