Non-Key Tweets | Page 273 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
So if Luck is correct, every expansion move to date had to do with geography above all else with a dash of desperation thrown in.

If WVU wasn't good enough for the ACC or B1G, certainly not the SEC. Then the B12 took them because they were the best closest program.

The ACC took Louisville because they were the best closest program.

The B1G took MD and RU because they were the best (cable box) closest programs.

Just reinforces how dumb the ACC was to pick BC, Cuse, and Pitt. Neither good, nor close.
I know this is rehashing old stuff...but if the ACC had taken UCONN and Rutgers..the B-12 would have been left withWVU, Louisville and Pitt. The ACCN would most likely be off the ground and making serious money with the NYC cable market. DAMN YOU Dick Blumenthal...that one time you should have walked away from that camera...

GG

Reaction Score
I know this is rehashing old stuff...but if the ACC had taken UCONN and Rutgers..the B-12 would have been left withWVU, Louisville and Pitt. The ACCN would most likely be off the ground and making serious money with the NYC cable market. DAMN YOU Dick Blumenthal...that one time you should have walked away from that camera...
Well, your first mistake is thinking that Dick would ever walk away from an opportunity to get in front of a camera.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
For the B12 to get a network, they need the biggest market schools they can find. It would be ironic if B12 got a network and ACC didn't because the ACC took small-market Louisville and the B12 got big-market UConn.

I've had the same brief thought. If the B12 added UConn and BYU, those are, BY FAR, the two biggest brands left outside of the G5. Throw in UCF (good FL market+ FL recruiting) and Cincinnati (decent market + OH recruiting) and now you have exposure in very large markets: NYC (UConn), Orlando/Tampa (UCF), all of Texas/Oklahoma. Throw in national appeal of BYU and a bit of the Ohio/western PA/Washington DC corridor from a WVU/Cinci combo and you have enough markets and content that can stretch over 3 timezones. Heck, they could make it clean and add 2 more like Houston/Temple and Boise St and now you'd have even more markets and more football appeal. Plus, with UConn and Kansas anchoring the winter months, year-round content that fans all across the country can (and will actually want to) watch.

But that assumes that the B12 has removed their heads out of their rumps. That's a mighty strong assumption.

pj

Reaction Score
Suppose the B12 dissolves because it can't form a network with only Texas as a major cable market, and the ACCN can't get off the ground with only North Carolina, Virginia, and maybe Florida as markets. With TV agreements expiring at the same time, they might consider a re-arrangement in which the schools that bring major cable markets regroup and leave behind those that don't.

What about this league:
Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa State, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, UNC, NC State, Duke, Va Tech, Virginia, UConn (13 teams) + Notre Dame with an indy/ACC-like deal would be a good nucleus and they'd have a number of other schools to consider for 3 more to get to 16. You could get a network out of that.

I suppose you'd lose some (maybe SEC takes NC State and Va Tech to have penetration throughout the southeast; maybe B1G picks off a few - Kansas and UConn?). But you'd still get a conference network out of the best of the B12 and ACC.

Reaction Score
Suppose the B12 dissolves because it can't form a network with only Texas as a major cable market, and the ACCN can't get off the ground with only North Carolina, Virginia, and maybe Florida as markets. With TV agreements expiring at the same time, they might consider a re-arrangement in which the schools that bring major cable markets regroup and leave behind those that don't.

What about this league:
Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Iowa State, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, UNC, NC State, Duke, Va Tech, Virginia, UConn (13 teams) + Notre Dame with an indy/ACC-like deal would be a good nucleus and they'd have a number of other schools to consider for 3 more to get to 16. You could get a network out of that.

I suppose you'd lose some (maybe SEC takes NC State and Va Tech to have penetration throughout the southeast; maybe B1G picks off a few - Kansas and UConn?). But you'd still get a conference network out of the best of the B12 and ACC.

Cue Fishy

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

What about this league:

You're talking a looooooooooong way away. If all this happens, I think UConn is in the B1G long before any sort of ACC/B12 combo play. My 5 year plan (read: opinion) is in Year 3 now.

pj

Reaction Score
You're talking a looooooooooong way away. If all this happens, I think UConn is in the B1G long before any sort of ACC/B12 combo play. My 5 year plan (read: opinion) is in Year 3 now.

I agree. I think we're ticketed as #15 for the B1G once the TV deal is negotiated and CCG deregulated and partner emerges ... but timing is obscure. Ideally they take us in 2017 for 2019 entry regardless with an indy football arrangement until #16 is found. Kansas, Oklahoma, or some other school would be 16 eventually.

But I think the ACC-B12 best-of scenario could play out in 2025 or so, with whoever is still available.

Reaction Score
Travis Hale ‏@LubbockElitist 18m18 minutes ago
Why Texas leaving the Big XII might not be a bad idea.
http://www.stakingtheplains.com/2015/08/03/shouldthetexaslonghornsleavethebig12/

There are holes in this article big enough that even Brandon Jacobs could get through.

For starters, if the writer thinks that UT could leave the Big 12 in football and remain a member in Olympic sports, he's absolutely nuts. There is no way the Big 12 would let Texas get away with that. There's no mention in his post of what would happen to UT's Olympic Sports at all.

Secondly, if Texas goes Independent, do you really think OU sticks around the Big 12 at that point? Sure they would be the biggest fish in the pond now, but with the Longhorns gone even more luster is off the already depleted conference. They'd be punching their first ticket to the B1G or SEC.

Interesting pipe dream, but no chance this happens.

Reaction Score
Generally a program with more dollars than common sense(no thanks to oil money).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree. I think we're ticketed as #15 for the B1G once the TV deal is negotiated and CCG deregulated and partner emerges ... but timing is obscure. Ideally they take us in 2017 for 2019 entry regardless with an indy football arrangement until #16 is found. Kansas, Oklahoma, or some other school would be 16 eventually.

But I think the ACC-B12 best-of scenario could play out in 2025 or so, with whoever is still available.
Based on what?

If they wanted us for the 2017 season, would we have had to have given notice by now?

pj

Reaction Score
Based on what?

If they wanted us for the 2017 season, would we have had to have given notice by now?

No, the idea is they would want us for the 2019-2020 season, we would give 27 months notice, so spring 2017 notice.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No, the idea is they would want us for the 2019-2020 season, we would give 27 months notice, so spring 2017 notice.
Got it, I read right past that.

Anything more than a hunch to support this?

Reaction Score
The Big Ten's next TV deal will take effect in the fall of 2017. It will probably want additional realignment to be announced before negotiations are completed. That means the likely timeframe for additional realignment would be next spring/summer if they're going to go through with it this soon.

pj

Reaction Score
Additions will have to be vetted with the TV partners and compatible with the new contract, so they can't really move until the contracts are negotiated and signed. But the two decisions will be taken together and if the B1G wants to grow and has willing partners, once the TV partner signs off, there's no reason to delay further.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The Big Ten's next TV deal will take effect in the fall of 2017. It will probably want additional realignment to be announced before negotiations are completed. That means the likely timeframe for additional realignment would be next spring/summer if they're going to go through with it this soon.

Or...they are waiting for the negotiations to be completed with stipulations for various expansion candidates, while investigating the "gettability" of certain candidates, getting approval for the most profitable gettable candidates, extending the invite, then announcing the expansion.

Reaction Score
Or...they are waiting for the negotiations to be completed with stipulations for various expansion candidates, while investigating the "gettability" of certain candidates, getting approval for the most profitable gettable candidates, extending the invite, then announcing the expansion.

Do you really believe either the networks or the B1G would sign contracts without having teams in place first?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Do you really believe either the networks or the B1G would sign contracts without having teams in place first?

No, that is the bleepin' point.

Reaction Score

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 10h10 hours ago
@dschwarzlander @NebGradDubDub @Expansion_Crush @LandThieves @Genetics56 So wrong... so wrong... mob rush to judgement.

unknown2015122222‏@12dcvffffffff 9h9 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @dschwarzlander @NebGradDubDub @Expansion_Crush @LandThieves @Genetics56 nd full member in acc in 3 years

Expansion Crash‏@Expansion_Crush 5h5 hours ago
@12dcvffffffff @theDudeofWV @dschwarzlander @NebGradDubDub @LandThieves @Genetics56 They're not giving up the NBC deal they just re-upped on

Christopher Lambert‏@theDudeofWV 4h4 hours ago
@Expansion_Crush @12dcvffffffff @dschwarzlander @NebGradDubDub @LandThieves @Genetics56 ND is death to a conf.

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 4h4 hours ago
@theDudeofWV @Expansion_Crush @12dcvffffffff @dschwarzlander @LandThieves @Genetics56 so is Texas.

Matt Wyers‏@mkw_14 4h4 hours ago
@Expansion_Crush @dschwarzlander @LandThieves @Genetics56 Would be stubborn if they allowed Independence to sink their ship.

Genetics56‏@Genetics56 3h3 hours ago
@mkw_14 @Expansion_Crush @dschwarzlander @flugempire @JonBCoker Don't be shocked if there is some big news out of OK before the season

@mkw_14 @Expansion_Crush @dschwarzlander @flugempire @JonBCoker ESPN and FOX are pushing OK and KU to B1G. SEC info was intentional

Jonathan Coker™‏@JonBCoker 3h3 hours ago
@Genetics56 @mkw_14 @Expansion_Crush @dschwarzlander @flugempire how do you know?

@JonBCoker @mkw_14 @Expansion_Crush @dschwarzlander @flugempire Surprising FOX and ESPN are cooperating with each other

@JonBCoker @mkw_14 @Expansion_Crush @dschwarzlander @flugempire I have been chatting with a person that works in the FOX network

The latest from the peanut gallery.

pj

Reaction Score
Collusion? Currently Fox and ESPN share the B12. If they are planning to share the B1G contract (likely), then OU and KU to the B1G is a lateral move ... whereas OU to SEC would improve ESPN and damage Fox, so would probably have to wait for 2025.

But if OU and KU go to the B1G, where is UConn's partner?

Reaction Score
Many people have long believed Virginia Tech is B1G target. I'd bet on us joining with them if we are invited.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom