Non-Key Tweets | Page 270 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I think Nebraska would lay down on the tracks to stop Texas from joining the Big 10. Those two programs HATE each other, and Nebraska left the Big 12 almost entirely because of its hatred of Texas. The Pac 12 already passed on Texas and Oklahoma. Do you think Texas A&M wants Texas in the SEC? There is one league that will take Texas: the ACC.

Yet UNL Chancellor Harvey Pearlman and Texas President William Powers and Powers alone, were in constant communication when Pearlman was in the decision making part of the process. Many don't know that UNL had explored their own network and it would have made some pretty good money. Husker fans hate Texas, but the administrations don't.

Reaction Score
I think Nebraska would lay down on the tracks to stop Texas from joining the Big 10. Those two programs HATE each other, and Nebraska left the Big 12 almost entirely because of its hatred of Texas. The Pac 12 already passed on Texas and Oklahoma. Do you think Texas A&M wants Texas in the SEC? There is one league that will take Texas: the ACC.

Nebraska was well aware that the Big Ten was exploring Texas at one point, so it won't come as a complete shock. I think the big difference between both situations is that Texas won't be the only big brand in the room. In addition, I think Nebraska would like to see OU and Kansas back on the schedule. Having said all that, would Texas attempt to exploit the weakest conference to get a deal that's all about Texas? Absolutely.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, no its ok. No comment by me.
Terry, I hope you realize that this all good natured ribbing (well like 90% anyway.) ;)

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

You're more delusional than usual if you think Texas can't pick up the phone and join any conference it wants.

The SEC offices would be on their twelfth bottle of champagne before they'd get around to emailing Texas A&M to tell them about their new neighbor. Nebraska might not even get an email from the Big Ten - Texas would just show up on their schedule.

The LHN is a problem, but without it, I don't even think ND is as valuable as Texas.

Reaction Score
Nebraska would take Texas and not think twice about it. Why? Because they know it would bring the Big Ten so much money, it would be absurd.

It's one thing to be in a league with Texas when Texas runs the show and bullies everyone. It's another to be in a league where, although there are schools that have more input than others, they still all have functioned together successfully for 100+ years. Texas could be JAG in the Big Ten, at least to start. Over the years I'm sure they'd grow with the amount and type of influence they have, but it would never be like the Big 12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You're more delusional than usual if you think Texas can't pick up the phone and join any conference it wants.

The SEC offices would be on their twelfth bottle of champagne before they'd get around to emailing Texas A&M to tell them about their new neighbor. Nebraska might not even get an email from the Big Ten - Texas would just show up on their schedule.

The LHN is a problem, but without it, I don't even think ND is as valuable as Texas.

Texas is not Notre Dame, as the LHN is proving.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Texas is not Notre Dame, as the LHN is proving.

If Notre Dame started its own network and yet you didn't need to pay for it to see their hoop/basketball games, no one would want that either.

The Dallas Cowboys wouldn't be able to carry a network by themselves.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nebraska was well aware that the Big Ten was exploring Texas at one point, so it won't come as a complete shock. I think the big difference between both situations is that Texas won't be the only big brand in the room. In addition, I think Nebraska would like to see OU and Kansas back on the schedule. Having said all that, would Texas attempt to exploit the weakest conference to get a deal that's all about Texas? Absolutely.

Look up news articles from the time about the Big 12. Nebraska and Texas were in almost continual conflict. You think Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State or any of the other Big 10 schools want to deal with that crap? They are swimming in money, and they don't need Texas. Neither does the Pac 12 or SEC. Do you think an extra million or two a year for schools in those leagues when they are making $30MM+/year worth it to put up with Texas' bullspit? There were rumors that Colorado was the deciding factor in terminating the Pac 12 discussions with Texas.

The problem with pissing everyone off and driving them out is that they sometimes end up in places that you may want to go.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And now Oklahoma can't stand Texas either.

When you are making the amount of money and things are going as well as they are for the Super 3, they aren't going to risk it by taking in the problem child, no matter how much revenue Texas may bring. It just isn't worth it. There is one league that will put up with this: the ACC.

Reaction Score
Look up news articles from the time about the Big 12. Nebraska and Texas were in almost continual conflict. You think Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State or any of the other Big 10 schools want to deal with that crap? They are swimming in money, and they don't need Texas. Neither does the Pac 12 or SEC. Do you think an extra million or two a year for schools in those leagues when they are making $30MM+/year worth it to put up with Texas' bullspit? There were rumors that Colorado was the deciding factor in terminating the Pac 12 discussions with Texas.

The problem with pissing everyone off and driving them out is that they sometimes end up in places that you may want to go.

This is closer to a key tweet than many key tweets.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nebraska wouldn't want to go back to recruiting Texas... um ok.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Tuxedo Yoda ‏@TuxedoYoda 7m7 minutes ago
http://1340thefan.com/big-12-conference-potentially-seeking-additions-from-the-west/…

Scott McKinney ‏@heyscottymac Jul 28
Just learned Big 12 is getting closer to discussions with BYU and Boise State about joining the league, according to source close to deal

1340 The Fan ‏@1340thefan Jul 29
The Fan's @snyderrobert goes over possible B12 adds of BYU/ Boise State after @heyscottymac 's report from yesterday. http://1340thefan.com/big-12-conference-potentially-seeking-additions-from-the-west/…

Reaction Score

Nebraska needs exposure in Texas for recruiting purposes and Ohio St & Michigan carry as much weight as Texas would, so the 'Long Horn way' or the highway mentality of the XII would be out. If U Texas agreed to play nice, the amount of money generated by their potential addition I think would bur most concerns under a pile of cash.

I do think A&M with support from LSU and Alabama would keep U Texas out of the SEC. That said, TX is plenty big enough to support 2 SEC programs, so the SEC could add Baylor or TCU, who would not threaten A&M as much as U Texas would, and that would generate enough extra money to get approval.

Reaction Score

As I said above, Texas is not going to have the sway it enjoys in the Big 12. They also won't have the LHN, which is the source of much of the discontent. I think you are underestimating what Texas would deliver in terms of dollars, recruiting, markets, research and more. It would be like adding gasoline to a raging fire. Nebraska would finally get to exact a return from its relationship with Texas without too many headaches.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score
Here's what that would look like.

View attachment 10108

Here is the problem with this idea... the money won't be there for a league like this... not enough to make it viable long term at least. I don't see once the dust settles having conferences with more than 10 if they are not in the P5 Conferences. The goal of the P5 is to force everyone else outside of their circle of big time money. All other leagues will be closer to 10 or 12 so don't have to share what little money there will be.

Reaction Score
For me, the most fascinating part about this is that not even the ACC is really going to go to bat too hard to defend Notre Dame. They want badly for them to join the league, so if the other leagues mandate Notre Dame has to join in order to be eligible, they're going to be like 'golly gee, we tried but we were overruled!' lol

Even if the other leagues could do just that (and I have severe doubts they'd want to) I don't think the B1G Delany would want to force the issue until he knows whether he can snag Texsa or not (yes, misspelling intentional). Even with Texsa in tow I still don't think the Domers would move from their position. In fact, Texsa in the B1G might strengthen their position relative to the power conferences.

Yes, Notre Dame is that unique.

Reaction Score
KyleSLamb is going at it with the Dude on twitter,... he has the Dude going in circles and enraged. GREAT JOB Kyle!!!!

At first, I had only meant to take a jab or two and get a point across about something he said. But a combination of being somewhere I didn't want to be and having time to play on my phone, I had fun pushing out, then pulling back.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
That guy does stupid better than anyone here.

The Big Ten is going to ignore a market of 27,000,000 because it's not worth the aggravation and the risk of upsetting Nebraska.

All righty.

The first rule of how to handle success: Don't duck it up. I suspect Jim Delaney knows that rule.

I have lost energy on this pissing match already though. I don't care if you blow Bevo in front of the 20 people watching the Longhorn Network. When the final nail goes in UConn's football coffin, I will have watched my last college football game. If you and the Dude and whoever want to play expert that everyone who is going on the record about how much they hate UT is lying, whatever. Have at it.

Reaction Score
The Dude has really gone off the reservation. I check my Twitter a little while ago, and I've got 15 new responses from him alone. He mad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom